Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Started watching some TNG on broadcast. I’ve never seen it all and while enjoying it realized my 9 year old kid would probably like most of it. Sure enough she’s totally into it. We built a little solar powered robot she calls Data. Around this time got a Paramount login so it’s all there. Sadly we are through most of 5 seasons. Goes fast.

I binged the hell out of Picard, then SNW, then turned to STD. STD is no bueno and I need to vent-

All the Klingon scenes were confusing and no fun to watch. Klingons are usually fun.
There is soooooo much dialog about feelings. Not only did they tell not show but they had characters talking about them when it was obvious what was going on.
This was true of everything else, lots of explaining.
Michael’s actress has this habit of whispering. Style gripe but she does it a lot.

The setting was great and the sets top notch. So much of the stories made me roll my eyes. What a waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

What's "your word gonna be" is awkward. I think in Picard it they ask 7 of 9 and they didn't show her saying it which handled it OK I guess.

Spock's response in S2E1 SNW got a chuckle out of me but yeah, maybe they could have not put it all so front and center as calling attention to it kind of explains the joke. Michael saying let's fly in Discovery mirrored the whole show in a way - an overemphasized detail that works so much better when it's subtle. Picard saying engage in TNG was natural and just what he said. Now it's a thing and was a thing when he says it in Picard.

Maybe in SNW they should have waited for Spock to signal them and then he says the line and the crew and give each other looks.

I guess from now on it's always going to be a thing, for better or worse. And everything being obviously setup and overexplained is a trend.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I'm wondering if Riker says engage when he's in the captain's chair, can't recall.

Watching TNG S1 for the first time recently was eye opening on just how awkward it started. Also too bad about Tasha Yar. It would have been cool to see the character grow with the show. They put her in some super weird stuff while she was there and Crosby rolled with it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Discovery too iirc

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Lwaxana is great. Yes she’s annoying but very real at the same time. And the episode that starts with Troi’s log saying “My mother is in board” the cutting to Picard looking all stressed before walking into a corridor is the funniest start to any episode hands down.

The wedding meal is great, Data saying please continue your petty bickering owns. Also the end of Lwaxana wedding episode (can’t recall if that meal is Troi or Lwaxana) where she comes out nude is just the perfect payoff to that whole episode and absolutely perfect for her character.

Mr. Honn is a great foil for her, brilliant writing to play off her with him being mute.

Having said all that her banging the ferengi to save her and Riker ? was unfortunate and awkward watching with my kid. Guess poo poo happens even in ST. Not as bad as Tasha Yar talking about rape gangs right before coming on to data ; still not sure what she was saying exactly.

https://youtu.be/XuFTi_kEyJo

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The communicator badge has a pin back on it

E- She told me she saw a flash of light behind her and a box appeared with this inside. I will be wearing the badge on our hike today.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 18, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Currently watching Voyager S7 episode "Body and Soul" as part of my Voyager episodes-I-missed watch, and Jerri Ryan doing an episode-long impression of Robert Picardo is delightful.

Saw a bit of that recently. It’s great.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

90, 95% of the time the Captain has to ask the crew to magnify the view screen. Maybe the computer needs to auto size that poo poo from the start

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yes, just saw it last night .

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My kid and I watched starship mine (?) TNG episode last night where Picard is John McClane of the Enterprise. I was surprised Picard straight up killed several people, though he tried to only injure one of them. I was trying to remember if he was shown to kill anyone before that by his own hand and wasn't sure.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

Its one of the "Patrick Stewart threw a hissy fit and threatened to quit" episodes where the captain gets to do some "fightin'n'loving" like Kirk did. Stewart disliked being always the "team dad" and "calm, intelligent authority figure", and wanted to have episodes where he gets to flex his action chops or otherwise he would walk.

This got so bad that ultimately "Best of Both Worlds part 1" was shot without knowing who would be the captain at the end of "Best of Both Worlds part 2", but ultimately a consensus was reached where every now and then "Picard has an adventure"-episodes would be made and otherwise the show would keep rolling as is.
Huh. I conflated his character with the actor and figured he wanted play play the calm intelligent authority figure. Funny to me he wanted more action.

Also my daughter said something like "A captain episode! There aren't many of these" . Steward probably had some legit grievances about his character being pretty boring and rarely the center of the story. The episode where he lives a life via the probe is one of my all times faves though.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Stewart’s performance is the best in the show imo. Still hilarious to me that the actor’s instincts cut against what we saw in TNG. My ex saw him perform Othello in a racially reversed casting where the rest of the cast was black so I probably was putting him in a box as a Shakespearean actor too.

Have about 30 episodes to go in TNG. My kid and I can either do Voyager or the animated one next.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Single saddest moment in TNG - when Picard believes his girlfriend is dead and is sitting on the couch in his quarters, gets up and closes his flute case. Also Stewart's vulnerable interaction with the Lt. as she encourages him to play with him, ahem, is pretty funny and really a side of Picard you don't see ever.

The Inner Light is one of my favorites. I like that they didn't just abandon Picard's music the rest of the series.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Presto posted:

Oh my god Carol Kane. :allears:
That's who that was!

I knew her but couldn't place her. She's awesome

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

well crap sounds like Prodigy has days left before it is pulled

e:

quote:

The cancellation of “Star Trek: Prodigy,” the first animated kids show in the “Star Trek” universe, comes despite the fact that the show was renewed for a second season back in 2021. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, although the show had aired on Nickelodeon in addition to Paramount+, it will not be returning to Nickelodeon either. Those on the show will complete post-production on Season 2 and then CBS Studios will be free to shop it to other outlets.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Some of the inclusiveness in Discovery felt real forced. I get it, it’s overdue in most media , but it was often ham fisted.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yeah, episode 2 was not good.

E-

The Drumhead is the bar imo and it’s a high one. This episode didn’t even come close. The attorney draws Una’s testimony out to support her defense, without telling her, and they explain it at the end. Modern Trek does way too much of this. On top of that winning the case on a technicality takes the air out of any moral victories.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 24, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

They also said they won on a technicality

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Going through the Trek movies. I’m not sure I’ve seen them all and for the most part have only seen them once at a much much younger age. For some reason the exception is the whales ones. Maybe they played the hell out of it on TBS or something.

TMP is a strange but interesting film. The concept was neat. I’d seen this one and mostly remembered the bald woman’s voice and the Voyager probe.

Khan of course the only thing I could remember were the bugs in ears. Watching it the Spock photon torpedo came back to me. His death scene was really effective. Also wonder if this was the first hiding the the nebula scene in ST? Cause they go to that well a lot.

Sitting down to Search for Spock. Think I’ve seen it but not sure.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Lol what is going on with this pon Farr scene

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Search for Spock, fairly clumsy, not horrible.

Bones had a great line when he found out Spock pre death mind melded with him

"That green-blooded son of a bitch! It's his revenge for all those arguments he lost!"

On to STV as I’ve seen IV tons

E- 5 minutes in I’m thinking this is the real bad one

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 26, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

TulliusCicero posted:

No one knows

Can't wait till you get to Undiscovered Country

Cold War thriller in Star Trek: it's amazing
Right on.

♫ I be strokin' ♫

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

Try to get the extended director's cut of Undiscovered Country, if you can choose which version to watch.
Will try to find it.

I have to finish V. I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a gif of Spock jet booting down the cliff to save Kirk. It looked like 90's sitcom sfx. Just terrible.

Also does anyone remember a gif someone made of Picard chatting with a young woman on his desktop computer? He's sipping his tea and she flirting with him and he's reacting. Probably a goon made it, saw it here over a decade ago. I'd love to see it again.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ST V: There are no words

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

It’s crazy to me TNG had been on the air for 2 ? years when that movie came out.

The juxtaposition must have been shocking between the slapstick, odd, juvenile and incomprehensible V and TNG, especially if TNG had hit S2.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Just the James Brown screams of a three-breasted cat-woman stripper getting Undertakered by Kirk.
I wondered if the writers stole that from Total Recall but given the dates two sci fi writers probably came up with it around the same time. What a world.

On to VI. Looks like Paramount + doesn't have the director's cut so it'll be the cinematic release.

I actually loled at the end of V's row your boat. I think they were going for heartfelt but it went past that and I'm not complaining.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Sulu doesn't get much to do in the movies which is lame. But then I think about poor Uhura doing that sexy leg dance on the hill in V and maybe it's for the best.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Watched the TNG episode last night where Picard's former professor visits which kicks off a stellar DNA puzzle culminating in the answer to why do all these unconnected lifeforms have a basic similar structure, which is a really neat concept and answers a big question in the ST universe. The story could have made for a good movie plot had it not been done in TNG. Finally he kind of loses his cool with Troi around his quest to answer the puzzle, while ignoring his starfleet duties of the moment, for which there's no repercussions that I saw. Not that he needed any but it was just a little weird how that played out.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

What character are you talking about?

ST VI - Good film. From the opening seconds the effects are superior to V, the story's mystery of the conspiracy is great and it all works. Cattrall is great. I like Spock, he's a trip in TOS, but I also think not being so Spock centric did well for the movie.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

OK so now you have seen it, and I can say out loud that the difference between the director's cut and normal version is that in the normal cut its just implied that federation has top-level people involved with the conspiracy. In the director's cut we have a Colonel West, the Starfleet marine who runs the security services and is seen talking to the federation president about doing a prison raid to Rura Penthe to free Kirk and Spock (or fumble it and get both killed, since they didn't get death penalty they were expecting). We also see that the sniper in the convention is the same colonel West, disguised as Klingon just to be sure. So its explicitly said that the conspiracy ran to the very top of the Federation.

Also, Cattrall's character was originally supposed to be Saavik, Spock's wive from the earlier movies, so that the betrayal would be more powerful. But then after events, and because the original actor Kirstie Alley wasn't available and showrunners didn't want Robin Curtiss, a new "top of her class officer graduate" Valeris was made.
That's a lot of details omitted. The result is a smaller story really, too bad. Yeah Paramount + only had general release.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ST VII Generations- not great , not bad. I’d seen it

Starting ST VIII- if I remember right it’s the first warp on Earth and they play Magic carpet ride which always bugged me cause they loop one section of the song for effect.

Forgot SNW is tonight

E- ST VIII more fun than VII. Not a fan of the borg queen as an arch enemy. Overall a fun movie.

I definitely never saw Nemesis and have seen a lot of hate for it here. Gonna try. One more then she’s up.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 30, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

VectorSigma posted:

as good a time as ever to repost this

:captainpop:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ST IX - I'd seen this one but had forgotten most of it, I guess because it's pretty forgettable overall. Not bad, just not great. Again, another crooked Admiral. The federation upper crust is filled with bad guys apparently.

Generations probably has the most people flying through the air. IX movie probably has the most phaser fire. Also a shoulder fired rocket launcher looking something something which they didn't show anyone packing up in the arming scene or carrying around. Just Worf out of nowhere with the big blast. Just kind of sloppy overall but a fun movie.

Nemesis is next woo hoo.

SNW ep3 - It was an OK episode to me. I know it's a nitpick but I had trouble buying them getting enough money to stay in a luxury hotel from some random public chess games. Data using his badge as poker collateral in TNG given it was made of gold was elegant. I know they don't want to leave tech behind in the past but it seems like they could take the technical guts out or something (we've seen them take them apart by hand before) and then all treks that came after that episode would have an easy answer to the money problem without having to create some scenes that didn't add anything to the story.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Worf's exasperated and embarrassed line in ST IX "It is a gorsch!" was a good one.

Daughter and I continued our TNG watching. Dual Rikers was a weird one, particularly knowing now that the Riker we all know is married to Troi and the other one, who was all into Troi when he was rescued, is left out in the cold. Also the 3 ambassadors episode was interesting, conceptionally and in the episode. Poor Picard stranded on some hellish planet with an apparent crazy person. I like when he tells the ambassador what you did would be considered a crime by my society.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Cthulu Carl posted:

Being the Dessert Ambassador for that race must be a pretty sweet gig, though.
And their counterpart on the receiving delegation is decent too. Worf and Picard got the short straws.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

lol.

Another thing about the dessert ambassador. Iirc, the reason pleasure = dessert is because Troi essentially volunteered it as such. If it were Riker with assignment we all know how it would have gone.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My kid and I have been enjoying all the Spot action in S7 TNG.

The episode where one part of a planet wants to join the Federation, but both societies are assholes was good. I like how Riker just laid it all out no you won’t be joining the federation and there was no reconciliation with the planet’s 2 societies at the end.

Lots of data episodes. Also up until the S7 episode we watched it was established Data was fully functional but the mom episode also said he’s anatomically correct. Data has balls.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I'm guessing it was let's replace one attractive woman with another. I remember basically nothing of Ezri , no character moments or anything, just her appearance.

More thoughts on Data. Yes anyone can be taken over by a brain slug or just lose it but Data has gone rogue on quite a few occasions. Most recent for my watching is the subspace organism where he stabs Troi in the shoulder. He ignored orders and took a shuttle that time his creator's programming called him home, in IX he straight up beats some people up and exposes Federation spying on a pre warp (they thought) civilization. Starfleet must think he's still worth it and he probably is but it's a big risk to have someone so powerful be subject to the whims of programming.

Counterpoint Geordi came a second away from blasting a diplomat I think after Romulan programming.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

HAmbONE posted:

Hello again Star Trek Thread

Star Trek Discovery is stupid and terrible.

Yeah. I typed out a big rant why I agree but yeah.

Too bad because the effects and production were great and there was potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Mr. Mercury posted:

And monologue about trauma

alexandriao posted:

Discovery: what if we told, rather than showed?

Trekkers: dumbass lmao

Discovery: Ok, fine, heres 30 minutes of trauma crying every episode
My biggest gripe. They tell don't show. Not just plot points but what they are feeling and why, delivered in big come to Jesus moments that should be once a season, not every episode. Discovery characters explain things and even tries to turn the explaining into the joke itself at least once - the dreaded what's your word going to be?

TNG/DS9 let us get to know the characters. We know what they are feeling and why because we know them. The subtly itself is part of the joy of watching. We know Troi is a little jealous of Riker getting laid but happy for him at the same time because she cares deeply. Discovery hits us over the head with it.