Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Coral fungus, there's a lot that grows around here. Not sure if it's edible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I saw a lot of that on my backpacking trip this weekend in the enchantments in near Leavenworth washington.

I should have taken a photo but there was an old pull tab soup can style beer can on the trail a few miles in.

Also while climbing up asgard pass I ventured off the route to take a piss between these huge boulders and found this weathered and tattered canvas seattle supersonics hat which looked like it was easily from the 70s or 80s. It was 15' deep in this crack and impossible to retrieve. I just hoped it wasn't attached to a skull.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Coral fungus looks most impressive when it's in the process of emerging out of the ground. You'd think you had stumbled upon a nuclear waste dump or something equally sinister but it's just fungus.

Here is some local creepy stuff in the woods. A few years ago, a man murdered his wife and daughter, set their house on fire and then hid out in the underground bunker he'd been building for the past 8 years. The bunker was not far from a fairly popular hiking trail, so I'm sure at least a few people walked past it over the years without realizing what they had seen. Story with pictures.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Thx Picnic! I was enamored because it reminded me of maitake, but reading about it says things like "bitter" and "digestive pain likely". Edible though, nice to know.

lavaca posted:

Coral fungus looks most impressive when it's in the process of emerging out of the ground. You'd think you had stumbled upon a nuclear waste dump or something equally sinister but it's just fungus.

Here is some local creepy stuff in the woods. A few years ago, a man murdered his wife and daughter, set their house on fire and then hid out in the underground bunker he'd been building for the past 8 years. The bunker was not far from a fairly popular hiking trail, so I'm sure at least a few people walked past it over the years without realizing what they had seen. Story with pictures.

Yes, there was some just emerging, freaky :). Nice story btw.

snugglebunny
Aug 21, 2004
go to hell
There's an area near me that is considered haunted called Goatman's Bridge. It's a pretty neat hike and there's a few Geocaches in the area which is what brought me there.

Condensed version of the story is a successful black goat farmer is hung by the KKK from the bridge, they look down and his body is gone so they go an brutally murder his entire family.

A bloody childs bed

Various doll parts in a cauldron

Long version of the story:
Goatman's Bridge Hunting the Goat Man
November 15th 1967: police discover an abandoned car beside Old Alton Bridge, five miles south of Denton, Texas. A rash of mysterious disappearances are becoming alarmingly routine on a chilling stretch of road that is known by locals as "the Goatman's bridge."

Constructed in 1884, the bridge connected Lewisville to Alton. The turn of the century brought a black goat farmer and his family to a residence just North of the bridge, and a few short years later, Oscar Washburn was known as a dependable, honest businessman. North Texans endearingly began to call him the Goat man. But the success of a black man was still unwelcome, and Klansmen in the local government turned to violence after he displayed a sign on Alton Bridge: "this way to the Goat man's"

One night in August 1938, with their headlights off, Klansmen crossed the bridge, dragged the Goat man from his family, and lynched him over the side. Peering over into the water, his murderers saw a rope, but not his body. In a panic, the Klansman returned to the Washburn residence, and killed his family in cold blood. Oscar Washburns body was never found and remains a mystery to this day.

Since the disappearance of the Goat man there have been many strange sightings on and near Old Alton Bridge. Some say his spirit still haunts these woods. Locals tell the story and follow it with a warning: those who cross the bridge with no headlights will be met on the other side by the Goat man.
After numerous abandoned automobiles and missing persons, a new bridge was constructed directly downstream. But Old Alton Bridge, the Goatman's Bridge, remains still open to foot traffic. It is under surveillance by the Paranormal Investigators of North Texas and the Denton County Paranormal Investigators. Others report seeing a ghostly man herding goats over the bridge, while others say they have seen an apparition staring at them, holding a goat head under each arm. Stranger stories even include people having seen a creature that resembles a half-goat, half-man.
More tales of strange noises have also been described including the sounds of horses’ hoof beats on the bridge, splashing in the creek below, maniacal laughter, and inhuman like growling coming from the surrounding woods.
Visitors sometimes tell of seeing mysterious lights in the area, of car doors locking and
unlocking of their own accord, a numerous vehicle breakdowns while near the old viaduct.
According to legend, if you visit on Halloween and honk your car horn twice, visitors can see Goatman's glowing eyes.
And, the Goatman is evidently not alone. Other reports tell of a woman’s spirit who wanders the area allegedly in search of her lost baby. Maybe that spirit is that of La Llorona, who is well known as haunting the rivers of the Southwest

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:staredog:

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Was taking a jaunt through my local trail when I came across this:

Even stranger, on my way back it was gone. All that was left were two skid marks and the ground looked singed. Weird.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
A barn with horse skeletons in it.

Cages with rabbit skeletons in them.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Gila National Forest Wilderness after hiking for days cross country thinking I was the only Human to ever walk this land and seeing a camp fire pit full of beer cans like the old brake fluid cans. Aldo Leopold Wilderness finding an Elk skeleton with an old 1960's broadhead arrow tip right in it's former rib cage with the remains of a couch right next to it. Cibola Forest with warning signs for falling rockets for lightning research this one was funny. Also had a Squirrel start a rock slide that could have injured us and found a former meth lab that wasn't so fun. The crazy guy who was a one man trail crew making trails off of an official trail that ran 500 feet off of the official trail then just ended. I mean this guy had dedication he had the 2% grade down on the trail bed and the 45% upper slope with the correct 45% down slope. He even trimmed the tree's correctly! The guy was a one man trail building machine too bad he wasn't focused enough to get paid for it. The local trail boss was trying to bring him into the fold to keep Washington DC off of his back.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Can't believe how hunters used to think it was okay to kill an elk when it's just trying to relax.

a clown
Oct 13, 2012

by Smythe
theres weird stuff in the woods... heard a thing or too that just sounds insane

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

a clown posted:

theres weird stuff in the woods... heard a thing or too that just sounds insane

Fess up, this was you, right?

:nms:

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

found a cool lantern with everything intact from a mid century train/ train station

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Found what I suppose is old logging equipment. The forest is getting revenge.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

One time camping in Ocala National Forest I heard ghostly singing at 2am. It sounded like an old slave shanty. We were primitive camping next to a pond with no one else nearby. And again, 2am.

Was it a ghost? :iiam:

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I've recently met two very angry trees:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Asgard pass is fantastic, I really miss the Cascades. I spent my formative guiding years in the area.

One of my coworkers would go on about some odd government installations he ran into north of Ellensburg, but he was probably slightly full of poo poo.

I found a very impressive example of Chaga (Inonotus obliquus) while out hiking yesterday. Probably over 100€ worth, but it would feel wrong to harvest something like that. I usually harvest smaller specimens to make tea from and give as gifts, but this one is a treasure.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Burls are ridiculously valuable and tend to be poached, there's a massive problem with burl poaching in the redwoods in the american PNW. It;'s a really egregious crime because it causes irreparable harm and probably death to trees which are literally millenia old.

Poachers go out at night on ATVs and 4x4 light trucks and chop hunks of trees which are sometimes over 15 feet tall (the hunk), and since there's no way to ID a poached tree from a legal burl harvest, welp

edit: oh snap I was responding to a pic of a mushroom lol - either way, don't buy any burl top tables or other furniture, it's at least as likely as not to have been poached

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 1, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Burls are ridiculously valuable and tend to be poached, there's a massive problem with burl poaching in the redwoods in the american PNW. It;'s a really egregious crime because it causes irreparable harm and probably death to trees which are literally millenia old.

Poachers go out at night on ATVs and 4x4 light trucks and chop hunks of trees which are sometimes over 15 feet tall (the hunk), and since there's no way to ID a poached tree from a legal burl harvest, welp

edit: oh snap I was responding to a pic of a mushroom lol - either way, don't buy any burl top tables or other furniture, it's at least as likely as not to have been poached

Fine, I'll stick to ethically sourced ivory

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cumslut1895 posted:

Fine, I'll stick to ethically sourced ivory

Get stuff made from tagua nuts. Looks and feels just like ivory.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Picnic Princess posted:

Coral fungus, there's a lot that grows around here. Not sure if it's edible.

I think it will cause severe gastric upset but I don't think it's super dangerous.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There are some very tasty coral mushrooms, but there are also hundreds of types and they can be really hard to ID from a field guide. It's not worth the risk imho unless you know someone who's hunted and eaten them before. I've been 95% sure of a new mushroom's safety before, after taking spore prints and checking a couple of field guides but I tried a pinky-nail sized piece of it and really regretted it.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
I've read most "edible" Ramaria coral mushrooms tend to either be bland like a jelly fungus, or bitter, and not really be worth the trouble to identify it. Clavulina corals tend just to be bland.

Sparassis fungi, also known as Cauliflower mushrooms, on the other hand are quite good, but I've never found a single one which wasn't terminally infested with fungus maggots.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
I recently found an amber glass Dazzle bleach bottle, complete with rubber stopper. It was made in the 1920s, my guess is it was tossed on a junk pile but I found it at the base of a young ash tree. I'm amazed it's in such good condition after 90 years outside.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
In 2011 on a walk I heard an animal in the woods that sounded like a cross between an agitated duck quacking and pig squealing. The sound was so alarming I chose to walk quickly away from it rather than find out what it was. Anyone ever hear something like that?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kushtaka

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Found a plane crash site. Small Cessna sized thing scattered over an acre or so. It had been there a while and clearly known about.

Found part of a plane's engine off the AT in the Smokies. Heard an F-150 crashed there long ago. It was part of a turbine, and was pretty well shredded.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dolly Sodds? There's a well known crash there

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
It was near Muskrat Creek shelter on the AT in Southern NC.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Levitate posted:

There's also a bunch of well known unexploded ordinance from using it as an artillery testing site. I wouldn't go around looking for a crashed plane there for sure

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Nothing like a nice tire trap.

This spot is a wired one, it is county owned land wedged between a large federal research area and these two parks that, according to tax maps, are state owned but completely abandoned. The whole area is riddled with ATV trails and some old quarry ponds full of bass. It is sketchy as gently caress and finding the trap made me want to explore it even more. It's all in the middle of a pretty densely populated area too.

At the gate by the traps there are these off shelf "No Trespassing" signs but filled out saything that the county owns it and the county police patrol it. There was a phone number so I called it and talked to some guy who claimed to be a county cop who was "in charge" of this patch of land. It was all very suspicious but he was really interested in the spike trap and asked me to go take a picture and txt it to him. All very wired and some day I need to call the county parks department and see what the gently caress is up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Could be some dude trying to protect his grow operation or something along those lines. What state was this in?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Or someone who lives nearby and hates ATVs ripping through the trails. I've seen similar stuff on public land when people feel they are entitled to how it gets used despite having no legal say in the matter.

Growing up, a neighbor of mine had a trail through this strip of woods along but outside his property line that eventually led out into a large wooded area where people routinely rode their dirt bikes. He always got pissed that kids rode their bicycles, dirt bikes and four wheelers through that 100 foot section of woods behind his fence that he started putting nails and nail boards to flatten tires as people went through. One of my other neighbors used to go through their walking his dogs and I remember riding my bike through the neighborhood seeing the two guys nearly fist fighting in his front yard over his dog stepping on the nails. The cops got involved.

Another trail not too far from my house had reports that someone tied wire across it deter people from using it. Welp some kid and his dad went through the trail on their dirtbikes and ended up in the hospital. One of our family friends was a local officer and retold the story to us. They suspected the guy who lives next to the trail as nobody else lived nearby. They set up a hunting trail camera and caught the guy putting wire or nails back on the trail. He spent a few years in jail if I remember correctly.

After that, I was always super nervous about going through trails at high speed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Could be some dude trying to protect his grow operation or something along those lines. What state was this in?

Maryland, pretty close to DC. The spikes are only like 100-200 feet down the trail from a public road, the one with the signs about the police patrols. The "cop" I talked to claimed to have a trail cam set up (which I did find) to pull license plates of people trespassing, but dude's camera was only like halfway to the spikes, so it seems super unlikely that anyone checking the camera would have never wandered jsut a bit further to find the spikes.

Verman posted:

Or someone who lives nearby and hates ATVs ripping through the trails. I've seen similar stuff on public land when people feel they are entitled to how it gets used despite having no legal say in the matter.

My current theory is that the guy I talked too is actual a cop, but has taken over this spot as his personal little recreation area and might be the one who set the spikes. I do believe he is a cop as he, during our weirdly long chat, mentioned that he can't do anything about the dirt bikes or ATVs as legally, driving them on public land is a traffic offence and the county has a strict "no pursuit" rule for non-felony traffic offences which is true. We ended the chat with me admitting that I am going to keep fishing there, accessing the property from the state park side (which is totally unposted) but would not be upset if I got a ticket. He laughed and said that was reasonable.

I have a friend who has some in's with the county gov, but thus far I have been too lazy to pursue the matter.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

That's creepy though if the cop is planning to pop peoples tires when they are out in the woods?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Also near DC, there is a trail with some petroglyphs on it. They are not widely known, a friend told me where to find them, but warned weird stuff would happen if I went to see them.

Girlfriend and I went and sure enough:

-she lost her wallet, it was returned in the mail weeks later.
-saw a jogger in a weird mask
-saw two sketchy guys dump a bag of probable deer guts in the creek, all while hiding from us.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sierra Nevadan posted:

That's creepy though if the cop is planning to pop peoples tires when they are out in the woods?

I assume it was done by someone thoroughly displeased with all the dirt bikes, ATVs, jeeps, and Muddin trucks that tear through this area all the time, but who the gently caress knows who it actually is. Like I said this area of interconnected abandon parkland spans three different governmental owners, so I really don't know what's going on.

The new hotness in Maryland this to take old unused rail lines and turn them into these dumbass paved trails. There's a short little section of one that dumps you out right on the border of this redneck wonderland and it's always kind of hilarious when I come stumbling out of the woods after a day of fishing to discover a couple of cyclists in their little sonic the hedgehog outfits looking very confused at the horrible splendor laid out before them.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Baby diaper stuffed in a tree.... oh wait that isn't weird that's just trash putting trash in places it doesn't belong because they're too lazy to carry it back out.

Levitate posted:

Where at? We scrapped our plans for Dolly Sods for next weekend in favor of the Roaring Plains Wilderness right next to it .. but I'd be interested in seeing this wreckage.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Where at? We scrapped our plans for Dolly Sods for next weekend in favor of the Roaring Plains Wilderness right next to it .. but I'd be interested in seeing this wreckage.

This mentions it in the mile 4.7 paragraph

http://www.hikingupward.com/MNF/SpruceKnobSenecaCreek/

Wish I had gotten out there when I lived around Dc but never managed to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Also near DC, there is a trail with some petroglyphs on it. They are not widely known, a friend told me where to find them, but warned weird stuff would happen if I went to see them.

Girlfriend and I went and sure enough:

-she lost her wallet, it was returned in the mail weeks later.
-saw a jogger in a weird mask
-saw two sketchy guys dump a bag of probable deer guts in the creek, all while hiding from us.

I had some weird stuff happen to me at the place I was living in Belize, which was a facility built on an old Mayan burial site. When they were digging a new manatee pool they found human bones. There's a big pile of pottery shards in the main house there.

I stayed in the hut they said was the most haunted. One rule is we're not allowed to be out at night without a light because there are coral snakes and rattlesnakes. In the middle of the night, someone with no light came up to our door, which just had a mosquito net covering it, and stood there for a few moments before walking away. One night after we had all gone to bed, our bathroom light turned on without the cord being pulled. I heard the sound of a bucket being thrown outside of our window, but there was no bucket there. And twice in the main house, I was alone at 5:30 am and heard heavy footsteps outside the bathroom door. Both doors to the house make really loud noises, so it wasn't like someone snuck in to prank me or anything. People said they often heard kids laughing in the woods at night while walking to a bunkhouse from the main house, but the closest kids live over 3km away.

I'm not much of a big ghost believer, but I certainly experienced some weird poo poo living in those woods.

And also I snapped a skull shaped cloud from a plane over the area I lived when I left, which I thought was hilarious. I sent the picture to all the people I volunteered with.

• Locked thread