Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jack Trades posted:

I only poked at it a little but I'm fairly sure that yes, you can re-create OW1 in it.
Lobby-limits could be hardcoded though. Can't play 6v6 if you can't have more than 5 in a team or 10 in a lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-review-in-progress/

"The original Overwatch changed the shape of the FPS genre in the years following its explosive release in 2016, before Fortnite and battle royales took over. Instead of synthesizing what made the original game enviable and revitalizing it, the sequel takes what was left and wraps it up in a monetization scheme that could finally kill it for good."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

adhuin posted:

Lobby-limits could be hardcoded though. Can't play 6v6 if you can't have more than 5 in a team or 10 in a lobby.

They let you have 24 players in a lobby in OW1 right now, why would they restrict it to 10 suddenly?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jack Trades posted:

They let you have 24 players in a lobby in OW1 right now, why would they restrict it to 10 suddenly?

I understood that wrongly then.
So you could do a 12 vs 12 quickplay mode with it?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack B Nimble posted:

"The original Overwatch changed the shape of the FPS genre in the years following its explosive release in 2016, before Fortnite and battle royales took over. Instead of synthesizing what made the original game enviable and revitalizing it, the sequel takes what was left and wraps it up in a monetization scheme that could finally kill it for good."

I know Blizzard is unpopular lately but some of the reporting on OW has been crazy. I have liked everything that has come out lately. The only minor quibble is the hero in the free track of the battle pass but two or three weeks in it'll probably be a non issue.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a well reasoned article from someone that has played "thousands of hours" of OW1. One excellent point the author makes is that the challenges, such as overhealing a teammate or blocking damage with a barrier, are going to create meta incentives to play sub opitmally. For example, perhaps you should drop that Rinehart shield and push forward, but you keep it up because filling up that challenge means more to you than winning this particular firefight (or even this match?)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

adhuin posted:

I understood that wrongly then.
So you could do a 12 vs 12 quickplay mode with it?

Ye.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's a well reasoned article from someone that has played "thousands of hours" of OW1. One excellent point the author makes is that the challenges, such as overhealing a teammate or blocking damage with a barrier, are going to create meta incentives to play sub opitmally. For example, perhaps you should drop that Rinehart shield and push forward, but you keep it up because filling up that challenge means more to you than winning this particular firefight (or even this match?)

This is the worst part of the Battlepass and related bullshit. When the game you are incentivized to play is not the actual game you wanted to play but the "fill some arbitrary bars" game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jack B Nimble posted:

Which of you guys wrote the article? Lol.

quote:

I played Quick Play in roughly two hour chunks each day and could fill out three to four levels of the 80-tier battle pass as long as I picked the appropriate heroes to satisfy my challenges.
So roughly 30 minutes per level with Premium battle pass exp boost and ~40 minutes without it. = 40 hours to finish the premium battle pass each season. Or 4-5 hours per week. More if you only play on weekends poopsocking 8 hours a day, instead of playing 2 hour sessions and more often.
Unlocking Kiriko would take about 35 hours for new people without Premium battlepass and finishing free battle pass would take 50-55 hours.

Note that these calculations are based on small anecdote by a single game journalists. He might be really fast about leveling or more likely be very incompetent as a player.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 29, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They could keep your challenges hidden and unlock them when done, like achievements. The Algorithm could even assign them to you based on what you're playing.

I'm going to feel a lot better if I'm just playing normally and then after a match it says "You healed your teammates! Cheevo!!"

Since it's hidden it could even fudge the numbers in your favor if you're going too long without an achievement.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

adhuin posted:

So roughly 30 minutes per level with Premium battle pass exp boost and ~40 minutes without it. = 40 hours to finish the premium battle pass each season. Or 4-5 hours per week. More if you only play on weekends poopsocking 8 hours a day, instead of playing 2 hours per day and more often.
Unlocking Kiriko would take about 35 hours for new people without Premium battlepass and finishing free battle pass would take 50-55 hours.

Note that these calculations are based on small anecdote by a single game journalists. He might be really fast about leveling or more likely be very incompetent as a player.

So you need 4 to 6 hours of grind every week, if you want the hero/mythic skin? Sounds loving excruciating.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

adhuin posted:

So roughly 30 minutes per level with Premium battle pass exp boost and ~40 minutes without it. = 40 hours to finish the premium battle pass each season. Or 4-5 hours per week. More if you only play on weekends poopsocking 8 hours a day, instead of playing 2 hours per day and more often.

that seems not that bad in the grand scheme, but my friends and I will be playing for a couple hours most nights

e: I also super don't care about skins at all, I just want the characters

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

adhuin posted:

First skin bundles were on twitter.

From a previous promo pic that had a Widowmaker skin, the bundles look like they're the skin, a weapon charm, and a spray.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

adhuin posted:

Even faster if you play with friends for the bonus XP.

That article just contradicts itself a lot of speculates on potential problems that don't currently exist. They seem to also resent the loss of all the CC so I automatically discount what they say about game balance. I'm so excited for one less tank/barrier spam and most of the CC gone. Finally the Mercy complaint makes no sense. It's not over complicating her, it's giving people and easier and reliable way to super jump.

I do think the missions could be an issue if they push people to play gimmicky to get them done but they all seem pretty straightforward and would just involve playing certain characters normally. There's nothing like "get 5 melee kills" or dumb stuff as far as I saw.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Get 100 Torb hammer kills should be a lifetime goal, that gives you a special spray or something.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

adhuin posted:

The hours per week calculation might not work as cleanly because your exp gain is usually heavily tilted towards time gated weekly missions.

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is basically a solved issue at this point, you keep the challenges generic enough and/or the necessarily numbers low enough that the difference between cheesing them and playing normally is so minor as to not matter.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Arzachel posted:

The hours per week calculation might not work as cleanly because your exp gain is usually heavily tilted towards time gated weekly missions.

True.

We saw earlier an example of weekly goals. Each weekly goal gave 5000 exp, one level requires 10000 exp and there was 11 weekly goals. = 4.5 levels from weekly goals.
How long it takes to accomplish all of them and how much exp you get from dailies and just playing? :iiam:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stylosa has a full breakdown of the battlepass, store, and prices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SrpZa8sCI

Lol, to buy a full battlepass for cash only is more than 100 quid. Also a full breakdown of the grind tasks.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 29, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lmao you unlock the kiriko legendary skin 35 levels before kiriko herself, that's some wild brain manipulation

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Stylosa has a full breakdown of the battlepass, store, and prices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SrpZa8sCI

Lol, to buy a full battlepass for cash only is more than 100 quid. Also a full breakdown of the grind tasks.

Dailies arent that bad:
You can do up to 3 daily quests (out of 6) each day for 3000 exp each = 9000 exp)
All of them look really easy to do.
If I really min-maxed and got lucky I could do it in a single game and
it takes 3 games max to do the dailies.

Now weeklies is where the poopsocking starts.
You need to get at least 20 competitive wins and 7 Arcade wins. More likely you need more to reach the other goals.
And you need to play all 3 roles as tank and healer to get Damage/mitigation/healing goals.

Best weekly goal was:
"Complete 7 games as a hero not in you top 3 played."
Get wrecked one tricks.

Seasonal goals looked great. Lot of win this new map 3 times or character specifics like "get 5 kills with Sojourns railgun."
Only poopsocky part was the final bigger competitive wins ones, which maxed out with 100 wins for 5000 exp.
Quickly calculating you get about 25000 xp if you do them all, and bit under 17000 if you avoid poopsocking.

Competitive goals were traditional season goals from OW1.
Lifetime goals didn't give any meaningful exp and were for titles and stuff.
Character goals werent' shown yet.

-----

Prices for skinbundles were way over my line.
20 $/€ each with one skin/emote/pose/voiceline and graffiti.
I might have gotten one with 10 euros and impulse bought more if they were 5 euros each.
edit: New Doomfist skin is technically 5 Euros, but I already got Tuxedofist, so don't need that.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 29, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Content creators have been playing more OW2. Here's frogger memeing on the new push map as Lucio and later on playing Kiriko and bastion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1xEuT2sDKM

Kiriko looks really busted in the hands of a competent player, but I'm not going to hit even half of those headshots, that frogger did. The teleport will be real OP even in my gold hands though. Long range and guiltfree escape.

There's also new Bastion tech for a superjump using his explosive as a booster. Frogger did the circuit spawn jump over the building with Bastion!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

adhuin posted:

Dailies arent that bad:
You can do up to 3 daily quests (out of 6) each day for 3000 exp each = 9000 exp)

1000 less than a battlepass level. But if you just spent a bit of money, you could top that up...

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

1000 less than a battlepass level. But if you just spent a bit of money, you could top that up...

There's +20% premium battle pass boost and grouping up xp boost.
+I assume that you will get xp for each game played, but there's no confirmation for that one.
Probably won't get 1000 xp for just playing 1-3 games.
edit: confirmed: You get Bp xp from playing matches.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 29, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

adhuin posted:

Get 100 Torb hammer kills should be a lifetime goal, that gives you a special spray or something.

Is that a seasonal goal? Are they introducing a LTM that's Fff/Torb only/hammers only?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

In addition, this Forbes article mentions that seasonal event skins will no longer be purchasable with coins (which has been announced when they opened "the seasonal vault" for one last time a couple of weeks back) and have a price tag of ... drumroll ... 1900 coins (~19 USD) for legendary skins each.

I think the Stylosa video doesn't explicitly mention it, but League skins also got a 50% price bump "to get them in line with the prices in the shop".

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Father Wendigo posted:

Is that a seasonal goal? Are they introducing a LTM that's Fff/Torb only/hammers only?

That was just me talking before the video came out. Would be cool though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

is my pile of OW1 coins going to do anything in OW2?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

headcase posted:

is my pile of OW1 coins going to do anything in OW2?

It's mentioned in that video but yes, you seem to be able to buy an inexplicably random selection of stuff like voicelines and sprays and some of the more lovely skins with them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If you want anything currently in OW1 still you may as well login and spend them there where you can still buy all the seasonal stuff and anything else.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

There's new skins/voicelines/sprays and stuff for Kiriko/Junkqueen/Sojourn, that you can use old currency for.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/mizliz_/status/1575470645219049472?t=qGJzdYZFZYYxcL1AdCHPFQ&s=19

Orisa is down bad for Hanzo

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Embrace the weeb

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Sexual Harassment Horse.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wheres the voice lines where Tracer is extremely thirsty for Junker Queen

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

torb telling zen that he's a credit to his race

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They need a patch update for Junker queen that allows her to throw her knife and then fly to it in the air

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Good gameplay of the new support. I like this colorful map. So many little extra routes through buildings around the main path.

https://youtu.be/pEogu020fUg

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Overwatch 2 embargo seems to be lifted.
In addition to content creator videos, all the major gaming sites have released their First Impressions about Overwatch 2.
What I've read so far they seem to be mostly positive with some concerns about different aspects of the game. Usually the monetization.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/overwatch-2-review-in-progress-disquiet-in-the-soul/1100-6507891/

https://www.polygon.com/23377275/overwatch-2-impressions-blizzard-ow2-release-date-platforms-ps5-xbox-series-x

https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-review

https://gamerant.com/overwatch-2-review-in-progress-slow-battle-pass-progression/

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/overwatch-2-early-impressions-im-obsessed-again/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/krisho...sh=3c1eccf66489

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/overwatch-2

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/overwatch-2-review-1944392/

Full reviews with scores are still embargoed until release date, although most of these are basically full reviews without any numbers.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Wheres the voice lines where Tracer everyone is extremely thirsty for Junker Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that mad thirst for boba tea