Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Shy posted:

Battleborn went on sale today sooooo

It's not even a sale, they straight up slashed the price not even an actual month from its release.

What I'm trying to say it's even more hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

TF2 is a clusterfuck of what the gently caress. I tried to play it the other day to feed my need for overwatch and it was... just a mess.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Oh man, this kinda sucks :( So it's just quick match or bust?

Yes, although you can also do Brawl/Custom Games. Competitive Mode was busted to all hell in closed beta, so I'm glad they're taking their time on it.

HardDisk posted:

It's not even a sale, they straight up slashed the price not even an actual month from its release.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/394230,428690

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Overwatch reminds me of the early TF2 when it was actually balanced and each character had clearly defined roles and you didn't really have to wonder what type of bullshit you would be up against today.

In Overwatch, when you see a hero you instantly know what they can do and how they're going to play and you don't have to wonder "What particular brand of bullshit is this class running?"

This so much. TF2 jumped the shark when they kept adding so much extra nonsense to make it "zany", and it ruined the game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tiggs posted:

yes they have individual bindings

Ddraig posted:

Per hero binds. There's also special options for certain characters, like assigning Lucio's speed boost to holding down shift so it's kind of like a sprint.

Sweet merciful jeebus, this is so much better than I had hoped. Thank you both.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Zorodius posted:

I was surprised that Mei was bottom-tier according to the actual competitive data. Not just because all the casuals, like me, think she's really strong, but because Seagull said he thought she'd be a competitive character.

It's because, while Mei is the queen of 1v1s, that's not that great of a thing in competitive play. You see her some in the Korean scene because Koreans are more willing to go with aggressive heroes, which she counters, but in the NA/EU scene, which is what the data is from, her strengths aren't that great, because the typical flanking classes chosen tend to be the ones that either end up in a long drawn out battle before one of them makes a mistake and dies (Tracer x Mei) or ones that are a favorable match up because they can melt her where she can't easily deal with it (Pharah).

Her other big strength, which is using her wall and ult to create favorable matchups for her team, is countered by the fact that the meta favors mobile characters, like Tracer, Winston, and Lucio, that can just regroup instantly, or even ignore her wall.

She's a great hero, and great fun, she just has only her icicle for ranged presence, and while obviously, it's good if you can land it, it's been made pretty hard to land by charge up time before shots, travel time, and falloff damage.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Cyron posted:

the ranked play in beta was said to be the worst thing about overwatch by everyone in the beta, i am glad it got delayed and not shoved out the door broken, but i hope it not another farahlon where it will never come out.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they put it in there because a lot of people were clamoring, and it's not a totally bad thing they did because now they know what some problems are and can work to fix them. It sucks we won't see ranked at launch but I'm also glad that instead of feeling pressured to play ranked immediately, we have time to dick around and enjoy ourselves while they work out all the fine tuning.

Bardeh posted:

Oh man, this kinda sucks :( So it's just quick match or bust?

And weekly brawls, which are fun.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Jastiger posted:

This so much. TF2 jumped the shark when they kept adding so much extra nonsense to make it "zany", and it ruined the game.

yeah that's pretty much why I stopped playing, i couldn't keep up with the updates and hat barons

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Kaplan says to be good with each other. May actually be Eonwe

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

HardDisk posted:

Oh man i'd feel bad but I don't like gearbox soo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Someone make a chart including OW with almost 10m. :allears: tia

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm sad that there isn't really a concrete date for Ranked but definitely glad it isn't in at launch considering what a mess it was before. I trust them to come up with something good

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

afkmacro posted:

yeah that's pretty much why I stopped playing, i couldn't keep up with the updates and hat barons

I stopped playing because the soldier demo nade rocket spam was outrageous and they introduced more weapons to make them even spammier

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What were the issues with ranked play during beta?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Adonis Gunther posted:

TF2 is a clusterfuck of what the gently caress. I tried to play it the other day to feed my need for overwatch and it was... just a mess.

Jastiger posted:

It was fantastic in its day. When you had a 12v12 of generally competent players like almost always happened on the LCs and Reddit servers it was fire. and then:

Poopy Joe was a Monkeynaut who tragically died in an explosion shortly after his rocket took off, due to a lack of Australium fuel. This was caused by Mann Co. in their unsuccessful attempt to rid themselves of weapons involved in a Senate investigation. Mann Co. took no blame for his death, and actually created commemorative plates that remembered Poopy Joe and America's dream of conquering space and Florida. These plates were actually hints of the then-upcoming WAR! Update, depicting the Eyelander, Equalizer and Buff Banner's bugle.

During the ARG leading up to Meet the Pyro, new information came to light concerning the death of Poopy Joe. According to leaked pages from Saxton Hale's Senate Hearing, Poopy Joe's rocket seems to have used a fuel source of solid australium. Saxton Hale was present at the launch facility when Poopy Joe and his rocket were prepared for launch to follow the successful launch of Vladimir Bananas. Hale stole the entire australium supply and replaced it with defective suitcase explosives. Once the rocket hit ignition phase, the entire bulk of suitcase bombs detonated simultaneously, causing the rocket to crash, killing Poopy Joe. Mann Co. then covered up the entire incident, denying all knowledge of it. The new Special Delivery map Doomsday has the player transport an Australium suitcase into Poopy Joe's rocket, re-enacting the piece of history. Unfortunately, the rocket crashes almost immediately to the tune of a warning bugle.

RIP tf2. You were the best part of the orange box. You don't owe anyone a drat thing. Rest easy, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XimRzoie80k

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Adonis Gunther posted:

it started off being very simple & balanced like this game, the over watch. it is hard to missmanage competitive vgames harder than vavle llc tho, so do not fear

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

totalnewbie posted:

At first people didn't know it was a best three out of five, so people were leaving after the first round ended, and it also doesn't back fill the spots properly if players leave. I also believe if someone on your team DCs and comes back, they can't get back into the game. They solved the first problem with a pop up when you attempt to enter informing you that it's not like a normal game.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I feel bad for the people who worked on Battleborn, but what were they thinking? They're going to release right against Blizzard and expect people to flock to their game?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

When I'm Mei in this game, I'm going to build a great (ice)wall.
And make the other team's Reaper pay for it.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Zorodius posted:

I feel bad for the people who worked on Battleborn, but what were they thinking? They're going to release right against Blizzard and expect people to flock to their game?

Weren't they they ones that started all the 'Battleborn is the same kinda game as Overwatch' nonsense?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
seriously have a rare mei skin that's the default with a red trucker cap.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Zorodius posted:

it is a very blatant attempt at money laundering because literally no element of it works well and there is no way it would have gotten past anyone with either a brain or eyeballs and greenlit for release

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zorodius posted:

It's not even nearly the same game as Overwatch but somewhere in development Gearbox took a hard turn for the "make it look like Overwatch so confused grandmas will buy it" marketing strategy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
guys lets play this cool gamr tonight

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Zorodius posted:

standard edition is 59.99 + 19.99 season pass

while Blizzard has the 59.99 version up front and center with the 39.99 squirreled away

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zorodius posted:

To be fair, Blizzard isn't all sunshine and rainbows either. They have a long and storied history of scheduling open betas, free trials, welcome back campaigns, and aggressively stepped-up marketing around the releases and betas of games they perceive to be their competition.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
The open beta client will work as the release client yeah?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

totalnewbie posted:

1) There was no elegant solution for handling situations where both teams successfully attacked or defended on an A/D or Payload map, which happened quite often at both low level and high level play (some comp people were reporting that 70%+ of their games ended like this). Instead, if that happened you would play a single round of KotH as a tie-breaker. There's some existing solutions to this from other fps games, namely the always hot-button Stopwatch, but Blizzard seemed adamant against having that sort of system. Still, they recognize the issue, where in the majority of your games you aren't actually being tested on your skill on the majority of maps but whether you can win a Bo1 KotH, and have said they intend to address it in their own way.

2) One month "seasons" which would reset everyone back to, well, no one really knows what it'd reset them back to since there was only one season but that's a pretty awful plan anyway.

3) The way ranking up/down worked made it a pretty awful grind later on.

4) There was only a single "ranked queue," meaning you'd end up against 4-6 person premades when you solo/duo queued. This is excusable for Quick Play because there's no actual reward at stake for winning or losing, but is definitely a problem for ranked.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Wangsbig posted:

it is a very blatant attempt at money laundering because literally no element of it works well and there is no way it would have gotten past anyone with either a brain or eyeballs and greenlit for release

Nobody could look at the UI long enough to validate functionality.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Okay!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zorodius posted:

i feel nothing but empathy and pity for the people who worked on the game, and nothing but schadenfreude for the higher ups and the company itself

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

sounds good! :hfive:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Until this game implements hats and hat economies it will pale in comparison to the great and mighty game known as TF2, sorry folks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wangsbig posted:

or, y'know, people are capable of making a mediocre game

the aliens colonial marines thing seems like it was money laundering or something going on there. but battleborn was made by an actual team with actual resources.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ulvirich posted:

standard edition is 59.99 + 19.99 season pass

while Blizzard has the 59.99 version up front and center with the 39.99 squirreled away

lol if you didn't spring for the Origins edition for the sweet, meaningless digital loot :smuggo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ddraig posted:

Overwatch reminds me of the early TF2 when it was actually balanced and each character had clearly defined roles and you didn't really have to wonder what type of bullshit you would be up against today.

In Overwatch, when you see a hero you instantly know what they can do and how they're going to play and you don't have to wonder "What particular brand of bullshit is this class running?"

As much as it was good that TF2 avoided having straight weapon upgrades (for the most part) and had side-grades instead, ultimately bloating each class' abilities was real bad.

Overwatch should leave each class as-is but slowly introduce more classes over time; that should work out much better. (Pretty sure that's the plan too)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Until this game implements hats and hat economies it will pale in comparison to the great and mighty game known as TF2, sorry folks.

sure, okay!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
loving americans and your loving timezones

loving americans

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

YoshiOfYellow posted:

lol if you didn't spring for the Origins edition for the sweet, meaningless digital loot :smuggo:

my mage needed his baby scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm spending the $20 I saved on weed