Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
This seems like a terrible idea. Also, they should add a 3rd damage slot if they are getting rid of a tank slot. Make it a flex slot or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Like I know that there is a ton of balancing that will happen before it comes out. But tanks are going to be under more pressure to pick the meta tank now. Like unless they remove shields from the game and rework every tank, this seems impossible to balance and blizzard is already garbage at balancing.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Hanzo and widow players are going to love having one less meat shield. Also, they are going to have to rework every tank and as soon as a tank becomes meta, everyone is going to expect you to play that tank.

I just don’t see an upside to this besides damage queues being faster. I wonder if they are going to even have all the tanks ready for launch?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I think OW2 really needed a big change because I think OW1 is in a rough place right now, but I don’t think that this change is a good idea. I think role queue and lock were bad ideas and now they are doubling down on it.

If they make tanks really strong then it will be a poo poo show with good tanks demolishing everyone like when they tried those experimental changes. If they make tanks too weak then why have role lock in the first place.

It feels like they have no actual vision for what they actually want Overwatch to be and are just trying stuff to find something that works.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
The art, characters and VA carry the poo poo out of overwatch. To me the game is almost secondary.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
People have zero faith in blizzard right now and that’s a pretty fair stance considering how it’s gone for them the last couple of years. Activision bolted vicarious visions onto blizzard to handle the Diablo 2 remake instead of blizzard internally and think about how ridiculous that is.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Like I don’t understand the tank change, if the game was too passive cause tanks rub shields with each other, why not just nerf shields into the ground and buff tank health or have some damage go through shields?

Cutting a player really changes the feel of an MP shooter, I want to hope OW2 is good.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I feel like even by Overwatch standards, all the skins since OW2 was announced have been lame. A few decent ones but even then the skin quality has plummeted. I think those D.Va and Genji skins look bad and lame. Orisa reindeer is pretty good though.

I mean, more or less, it is just another symptom of the whole company being a dumpster right now. Can’t wait for the inevitable gacha game for OW 5 years from now as they cash in on dead IP’s.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

it's astounding to me how badly they hosed this IP. Overwatch was insanely popular at one point and like every one of its characters was recognizable. Why they didn't start work on a Netflix series a month after they realized this is beyond me. Instead their plot for the last five years is "Overwatch might be getting back together? to fight Talon? who want to ????"

I still can’t believe they are doing the same plot bit over and over. People like the OW cast interacting with each other, not characters we never heard of.

Even riot is doing better with their cardboard cutout characters. Even in terms of LGBT+ characters, riot is doing a better job, not great, but better than blizzard especially after Arcane.

I think it was for doomfist’s intro, they had some anime thing of him loving up tracer and Genji. Just make that but more, set it in the past or something if you don’t want to gently caress up OW2 story.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

dogstile posted:

Big disagree on the tank issue. Damage got absolutely massively buffed to deal with healing being overtuned. This has resulted in the game being massively unbalanced after the introduction of role queue and now playing a tank is "I'm invincible, I'm invincible, oh ana's reloading I'm dead in half a second"

I agree, tanks are way too strong, however, 5v5 is too small a team size. If I wanted to sweat out wins in an fps at that level, I’d play CS. Overwatch is supposed to be a fun relaxing game with fun characters. Dragging the game closer and closer to mostly esports is a bad idea, they need fun multiplayer modes.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Minera posted:

yeah. it reminds me of when jeff kaplan spent a year advocating for 1/3/2 roles internally, then it got pushed live, and they abandoned the idea within like 2 days, and stopped all development on the game for 4 years and lost developer after developer before deciding to go to 1/2/2 instead

the community did a great job with the feedback on that one. at least they'll have 2/2/2 forever as a reward for their work stopping overwatch from being saved

There is an alternate timeline where we could be watching an Overwatch cartoon with Arcane production values because they didn’t dumpster their most popular IP in years. Man, blizzard’s brain got so broken by DotA they will blow everything up chasing e-sports.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Well, what little hype I had left is gone, a baffling decision but I should have known better. I know people are going to come in saying how it isn’t a big deal but, man, what a bad decision.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I mean, I think you could do it if you rebalanced all the characters so they were more inline with other hero shooter kind of games (valorant, apex, rainbow six). However, the way heroes are designed in OW, they are way too strong to lock behind anything. Other games got away with it because of how not impactful some of the kits are and the game lets you get guns.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
The PvE is secretly completely dead right? I doubt that is going to come out anytime soon.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I would be more inclined to give blizzard a benefit of a doubt if they had ever balanced Overwatch well at any point in time.

They should just move to a pick and ban system if this is the future setup for Overwatch because then you can be like league and just ban the overpowered new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
They should just do pick and bans if they are going to enforce role queue and not let people switch. If they want to sell more champs than they have to do this, it also forces people to play other characters.

Now the fact that there is only so many supports and tanks is a problem.

I also agree that role queue is terrible.