Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jeza posted:

Makes you wonder the sort of design spaces they haven't yet fully utilised. People have mentioned Fire in the thread already. Poison, semi-auto/unscoped rifle of some kind, knives (throwing or otherwise), clubbing stick/bat. Female robot, old woman. Those are some of the more obvious gaps that spring to my mind at least.

A tech-based hacker character who could take control of enemy devices would own pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

lol pro click

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

At some point today I closed my eyes and saw the ult meter burned at the bottom of my vision. I think I've played enough Overwatch for now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A good way to deal with Mercy ressing everybody, is to kill the Mercy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

pmchem posted:

oh and similarly, how does changing heros affect your chances of getting a vote card on the recap screen or POTG?

Well the vote cards can be given out for any old thing, but playing one hero consistently will give you a better chance of appearing there, I guess? And any play can make PotG. But neither of them are meaningful so you should always switch heroes if the situation calls for it. Lots of people love complaining when matches turn into a meat grinder but are far more reluctant to change heroes even when it could help them push through and win.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Play Tower Defense 2016 with forward turrets to very quickly get out a teleporter and hide it in a good spot. Zone people out with her M2, shield allies and reposition turrets when you see how the enemy team is moving. That's about it for Symmetra, your entire goal is to win the game for your team in 5 minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Symmetra cannot solo support but a team that understands this is also a team competent enough to hold Defense Point A for what is usually an easy win.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

We actually lost to a team with Symmetra on Lijang tower last night... :negative:

She's not the strongest pick for KOTH maps but if your team never bothers to hunt for the teleporter it can be the most frustrating thing in the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think zone control ala Arathi Basin could be interesting, like there are 3 points on the map and controlling more of them ticks to 100% faster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

*in a forum with an 8000 post meme thread for a game released a week ago* I just don't see how people will EVER get invested in these characters. *gazes longingly at DVas gang tag*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As one of the eight people who have played Battleborn, I'll just have to defer to your expertise on this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's pretty obvious what generation of shooter people come from based on their most played heroes. Pharah and Junkrat supremacy forever. Soldiers and Widows get hosed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

fadam posted:

The Overwatch characters aren't fleshed out or well rounded but at least they don't shout "feminism is awesome!!" when they get a kill.

This is what I imagine Zarya says in Russian whenever she lobs a gravity bomb.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mormonpartyboat posted:

i unironically like attacking anubis point b

there's so many little spots in that windy bottom route where you can jump up to the top route and surprise people, and since everyone's shoved in a single room, someone able to be a distraction (or ults that flush people out like d.va's) is way more powerful than in a normal game. been plenty of times that point has been broken by little more than 2-3 people hitting Q in sequence with a bit of mopup

~the power of teamwork~

Defenses can be easy to break if the other team has even the slightest bit of coordination around ultimates and can use them intelligently. Not even the most well-entrenched team is going to survive a Gravity Bomb + Death Blossom + Flying Dragon or whatever other combination of ridiculous teamkill ults your party has. It's just that most people JUST CAN'T WAIT to make dat highlight reel and will trickle in one at a time when you need to be patient and just hang in there until your meter is full and hopefully bait the bad guys into blowing their own ults.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dias posted:

I'll record Lucio's lines in Portuguese if Blizz pays me

(activates ult)
"É BAILE DE FAVELA NESSA PORRA AEW"

They also need to add a megaphone flange effect in the Brazilian version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I agree that everybody should read more books, and think deeply about the things in those books instead of video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blizzard's approach to balance is usually to make a single, slight and uniform change that is not too specific. So however they adjust McCree it'll be done with that in mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Defense on Volskaya: Mercy, Reinhardt, Symmetra, McCree, Hanzo, Reinhardt. I felt bad for the attacking team, none of them even made it through the door and McCree + Symturrets cleaned up the Tracers. I was instaressing Hanzo just to give myself something to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I soundblasted a McCree to his death off the back of Hanamura this morning, and as he was falling I could hear his fan the hammer going off. Proof that McCrees only know how to do one thing, too bad it can't save you this time!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There need to be more pits in this game, and not just cliffs either. Molten lava, pools of acid, maybe knocking them into outer space if they ever make a moon base map. And there need to be more heroes capable of knocking dudes into pits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah definitely, a good Tracer is an absolute nightmare. Yesterday I won an attack on Anubis in two minutes all because our Tracer darted in, killed everybody at the point and capped twice in a row. Insane how fast she can drop in on you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I've bought 0 lootboxes and haven't been tempted to yet.

For reference I've spent well over 1k on league skins

The mental health thread is in the Goon Doctor subforum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fortunately Lucio is fun for many, especially for those who think it is Fun to Win Games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes you just wanna chill and help your team win with the power of healing beats. I think Lucio is intentionally simple by design so that beginners who are maybe reluctant to play support have a hero who is effective just by existing on the map. It's cool and intentional that some heroes are like Lucio and others are like Tracer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

KOTH comps are all out of whack across the board so I think that has more to do with the current maps and format, like many stages having pits that Lucio can bump people off of. Also currently the only main healers in the game are Lucio and Mercy, so there aren't too many options there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

It seems like the characters that get play of the game the least also happen to have the coolest highlight intros

That's definitely true, all of Junkrat's intros are so good too.

I think they should somehow account for player movement in the POTG algorithm, like a screen where there's a lot of activity going on is inevitably gonna be more interesting than a Bastion holding down left click.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Human brains are really bad at picking out true randomness, and with such a limited sample size as "the loot boxes I personally have opened" true RNG would be indistinguishable from a guided one. In fact for many people, a truly random system feels less random because you get streaks of highs and lows and repeats all the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What if the McCree player recently had a death in the family and was suffering from moderate to severe emotional duress before he initiated the high noon? I just don't feel like we've controlled for enough variables in this Case Studywatch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Torb is honestly fine for most QM payloads now because he's still good for a few guaranteed kills from people who just haphazardly trickle right into his turret and feed his rather good ult every 10 seconds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I got the teal raindancer skin for Pharah as my first bought legendary, I think it rocks although I kind of want to culturally appropriate all her other skins too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I want them to just port the Vanguard class from Mass Effect into this game wholesale.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Some truly terrible games this morning. I hate it when late people just refuse to pick a hero who would actually be useful for the comp of the game, so not only are they a minute behind everybody else getting to the point but they're also bringing another Hanzo when we have no supports and two other snipers.

At least I was rewarded with this fully sick loot box.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd like it if Symmetra's shield was a passive aura with a limited range and she got something else to do with her E button since it's kind of braindead at the moment. Press E on every hero once at the start of the match, forget about it forever until they die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not really crazy about any of the Mercy skins but I do like just her plain old recolors, especially violet and cobalt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I want a roadhog vaudeville skin where the hook is one of those canes that pulled people off stage

[in Roadhog voice]: Your dodging skills aren't half bad. They're all bad!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So apparently just before launch there was a small but rabid group of people on Tumblr who believed Pharah was a quadruple amputee because her model didn't appear to have room for proper arms/legs or something. When asked if she was an amputee or if it was just a normal suit, Blizz was like "it's just a suit guys" but the Tumblr people were all "that wasn't the right question to ask!! should have asked if she cut her limbs off to fit in the suit!! confirms nothing!" until Blizz later tweeted again "she has all her limbs, haha". Even this somehow ruffled their feathers because they took the 'haha' to be derogatory or something.

At what point is every video game with an ensemble cast going to look like the BK Kids Club with latino member "Lingo" and paraplegic "Wheels."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Digirat posted:

Defend the silly death guy to me. Defend him

He's a joke, it's supposed to be funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's simply no way the evildeathdoom guy in all black surrounded by cartoon gorillas and korean catgirls can be funny. We must take him at face value.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo 3 was hilarious also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean you can call Overwatch characters bad if you like but I don't see how the TF2 guys are more interesting on any level

Please don't entertain this line of discussion unless you want to get 10,000 word philosophical treatises On the Nature of Humour by goons who describe themselves as "sarcastic" in their okcupid profiles.