Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

piratepilates posted:

A buff to Zenyatta would be boss. Zenyatta is the support I want to play the most, but it's always hard to justify going Zen instead of Mercy/Lucio because he just feels not quite there in terms of usefulness compared to them. He doesn't even need that much of a buff and suddenly you have a third good healer to choose from.
Zenyatta's not a good healer, but he's not a bad character in my (limited) experience. You'll still want a Mercy/Lucio, but if you have one he's not a bad supplement to the team.

I just got the game last week, but I've spent most of my time as Zenyatta 'cause he's such a fun character. As long as my team is even semi-cohesive I can just hide behind them, select an enemy tank, and just erase them with a discord orb and a few attacks. He's been real helpful with Bastion/Turrets, and some snipers, 'cause you can just throw his discord orb, get behind cover, and know exactly where to shoot when you charge up his alternate fire.

And as long as you're staying alive and making sure your healing orb is on someone who needs it while you're doing this, everyone else is way more effective too. Especially the Reapers in their back line who you can snipe heal if you're lucky. (Come to think of it, we already have a sniper healer, so I don't know what this Sombra's big deal is going to be. Unless she can shoot through walls or something.)

I personally have only been more effective with Zarya, but I guess that doesn't count for much 'cause I'm still doing really low level play.

Is Zenyatta really that bad in higher level situations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Speculating about Sombra... doesn't Mercy's fluff in that twitter picture imply weaponized biotics of some sort? Damage over time? Zones of pain, the opposite of Soldier's healing thingies? At the very least she's gonna have a debuff gimmick with her gun.

Countblanc posted:

Two weeks ago he was literally not picked once over the course of >900 data points in a tournament. This week he was picked 7 times out of 1984 picks. He's pretty fuckin' awful right now.
Jesus... well I guess that's incontrovertible evidence that he's bad. But why? I know he used to be one shot by Widowmaker... is he just a really easy target when everyone knows how to play or something? Or is it just an opportunity cost where any other "real" hero would do better?

I'm glad I'm playing at a level where he's viable (I've got a much better win rate with him than my overall win rate), 'cause he's really fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This game's pretty fun. I'm not especially good at it, and never will be especially good at it, so I'm happy to just play quick play, and I like that I usually get matched with people who are difficult, but possible to defeat.

I understand why people would play competitive mode, and further why some people aspire to esports levels. But it's not for me, and that's okay.

I feel like there's some conflict here, much of it internal, when you try and rank these things. Competitive being the "more real" version of the game making quick play feel like a "waste" of time, the most skilled level of play being the most important and so on. But it's not like that. It's all just different ways of playing.

Folks should play the way they like and not worry about what kind of status that gives them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've played Zarya a bit and I pretty much only use M2. It has been effective more often than not.

Am I missing out on something important by not using the M1? As mentioned, it's super hard to hit with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I will second that Olympic Zarya is the Good Zarya, and it's unfortunate none of my boxes ever had her in it. I guess Zarya's usual femme-punk look is just too much for me to handle or something, because I'd rather she look like an athlete or Communist Wonder Woman.
I think Zarya's "femme-punk" style is one of the best things about her, and so had no interest in her Olympic skins.

I got one in my first box.

I got the other one in my second box.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder what kind of beautiful competitive mode you all were playing that's not like quick play now. I just played a few matches today where people got on voice chat and made a couple constructive suggestions to the team and that was that. That's as good as the best competitive I've played, which mainly consisted of people getting more and more mad at each other for not playing right, win or lose. I don't really mind the relative silence of quick play after that. If you want team cohesion, suggest things in a non-dickish way and even people in quick play will likely listen to you.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kuromyneko posted:

I think at least half the players in overwatch are using some kind of cheat but can't be sure. Like I played before season 1 and people seemed pretty clueless as to what to do, could pretty much destroy people as genji and phara on all maps cause no one was able to see you and if they did they couldn't aim for poo poo lol. As soon as season 1 competitive hit people suddenly became pro players, people had perfect map awareness, could see you as soon or even before you stuck your head out. Were able to hit 99% of the time, even long range Mei or Torbjorn, I even had bastion shooting at me from behind glass as soon as as I came into view. Was just super weird.
Some of that is just matchmaking. When I started playing the game (after season 1 competitive started, so there were people out there who knew there poo poo), it was incredibly easy to just gently caress with people and make awesome plays as no one noticed you. But after doing that enough, I guess the game figured I should be fighting better people, because they all seem to have total awareness at all times and murder me if I'm not absurdly cautious.

It's just how that kind of matchmaking progression feels. The matchmaker's really good actually. I feel like I'm constantly getting really good close battles.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So how do you actually play Lucio? I mean it seems pretty simple, just run around in the middle of your team... but that seems too simple. Is that really all it takes to play him effectively? Is there anything in particular for a good Lucio to keep in mind?

He's one of my least played heroes just because I feel like "this can't really be it" when I'm playing him, and I assume I'm loving up somehow. But if that is it, I'd actually enjoy playing him now and then as a break from more intense characters.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the solution to Junkrat spam is pretty much the same solution to all defense heroes which is "kill the low-health, immobile hero with few if any defensive or escape options."
Junkrat has a pretty beautiful escape option. I'm not that good a player overall, but I have conditioned myself to throw a mine at my feet and detonate it when I'm panicking. If it's really hectic I might not know where I'll be blown to at all, but at least I won't be in whatever situation I was just in.

I mean, sometimes you blow yourself into a bottomless pit... and sometimes you blow yourself right into the cluster of guys behind their Reinhardt and die instantly, but then get a double kill with your death bombs so I guess that's fine too? I suppose you successfully escape sometimes too, but that's not as memorable.

Basically Junkrat is the best, and his gameplay perfectly fits with his character.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

flashman posted:

Ya man bastion op I agree
Anecdotally, I ended up at rank 50 in competitive, so I'm assuming I'm an average player, and at this level Bastion gets utterly destroyed unless they're really good. People rarely choose him except to defend specific places.

Balancing around mid level play makes way more sense than competitive. Like, you wouldn't buff DVa now, just because she's not used a ton by pros. At my level she is (seems to be) a powerful staple of any team.

In that context considering a Winston buff isn't all that unreasonable. Though obviously I don't have any numbers on "mid level play" so any observations would be speculative (maybe it turns out Winston is fine the way he is), but it's a better context than looking at the pros at least.

Do we have any idea who they're looking at next for buffs/nerfs? I remember we kind of knew DVa and Zenyatta buffs were coming from developer talk, long before that patch hit. Is there anyone obvious like that now?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

In principle, the lower the general skill level in a match, the more most of the roster trends toward viability; everyone's playing sub-optimally in ways that even crappy heroes can capitalize on. You need to look at the best players to see certain characters' fundamental weaknesses or unstoppable strengths emerge.

I do think part of balancing a game is to iron out those situations where a character gets disproportionately better/worse as skill improves (eg, "cheap" characters who easily destroy newbies but can't hack it at the top, or high skill-ceiling characters who are worthless in average hands), and that does require attention to what the meta is like at all skill levels. But if the balance is going to fall apart somewhere, I'd rather have it fall apart among mediocre players than among great players.

Ideally, every character would pay off results-wise as you improve with them. But right now, there's a subset of characters you eventually have to abandon as you climb in the ranks, because they just don't work against experienced opponents. That's the type of situation that balancing around mid-level play can cause.
So Torbjorn is literally never picked at the pro esports level, right? Should he receive massive buffs to make him more viable? He'd have to be massively improved for his automated turret to keep up with people that have such incredible levels of precision and situational awareness, or else be buffed so that he's a viable character basically without his turret. Wouldn't that be hellish for anyone starting out the game, and even the vast majority of players?

Or is it okay that half the roster isn't viable among pros, so long as they're useful for the majority of players?

If you've got a bunch of characters who have wildly different play styles (which is fun), I don't think you can balance that for them all to be viable at every skill level. You're going to have to choose. And it makes way more sense for things to be wonky at the high and low ends of the bell curve than to prioritize some small subset of the players to cater to for arbitrary reasons.

There are going to be some characters that you'll have to abandon as you progress to esports fame, sure... but most players won't ever have to deal with that.

That chart posted earlier where the esports folks ignored half the roster? That seems fine to me. Am I wrong?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 29, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I figured it would be obvious that I was talking about changes that are more complex than straight buffs/nerfs. For some characters, a mix of buffs and nerfs to shift their strengths from one area to another might be the answer. Other characters may outright need their kit to be reworked.
Well, I'm not a professional game designer, but I don't even know how that kind of more complex change look for Torbjorn. I guess you'd have to rework his whole kit like you said... which essentially would remove the interesting and viable character we have now. A goal of having everyone equal at all levels is, in my view, kind of a pointless handicap on character design, and I think Torbjorn is the best example of that.

I was also accidentally conflating what you said with this guy's post, which was why a lot of what I said wasn't directly relevant to your point:

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not even some super hardcore pro esports player but even I know that balancing a competitive game around average-to-mediocre players is inane. Should Blizzard give Torbjorn a nerf because people at rank 40-50 still have trouble dealing with turrets? What about Mei nerfs? "You wouldn't buff D.Va because people at a certain level are too bad to figure out how to deal with her" is a terrible argument, and the nerf they're giving her after a month of adequacy is stupid for precisely this reason, a bunch of people too bad to figure out how to up their game decided to complain about how OP she is and now here we are.
I think D.Va is at a pretty good level for most players. She doesn't dominate low level play, she's really solid at mid level play, but good players can deal with her. The fact that she's not esports viable isn't a pressing issue in my mind.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 29, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Here's the thing, when the game was brand new people thought Bastion and Torn were unstoppable demigods, now even middling players can deal with them easier than before...there are some folks who continue to get owned by them and will tell you that Torb's turret needs nerfs or whatever, but by and large these characters went from "unstoppable" to "okay if the red team is made of idiots" and it didn't require any nerfs, just that people got better.

D.Via post-buff has been out for, what, a month? I guarantee you that if you left her alone that she would naturally follow the same progression as heroes like Bastion where the ways to deal with and counter her naturally filtered out amongst even mid-tier players. The reason she isn't picked much at high levels isn't because those players are literal superhuman mutants doing things no one else can hope to emulate. Instead they're tuning her downwards because people complained that they had a new thing to have to overcome and because she ate my ult and defense matrix lasts eleventy billion years plz nerf. All this is going to accomplish at the end of the day is leaving an already adequate character less so when the average bracket finally learns to cope with her.

As far as pro metas and poo poo go, it's inevitable that in games with lots of choices like this that at a certain level of play some of those choices are going to fall off, but it shouldn't be the goal to design a game where the breadth of useful choices shrink more and more the better you get at it.
That makes sense. I don't disagree with any of this really. I went through that myself with Bastion when I started playing.

I wasn't advocating any nerfs, I was just saying characters didn't need to be buffed just because they're not viable on a competitive level. Like, D.Va, Torbjorn and so on are fine, but they're very rarely used in esports. If esports viability was the metric, half the roster would be brokenly bad, but that's not meaningfully true.

All this was to support the idea that it's possible that pros can effectively use Winston, but he still might need a buff if he's not effective outside of that niche. (Which is hugely conditional and I don't think there's any sort of data out there that'd let us reach an actual conclusion.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I only did the placement matches last season, near the end. They were pretty nice. Only once were there really annoying micromanaging people who were coincidentally really bad.

This time all my placement matches have had one or two of those guys. Really drags things down. Even when we won.

The worst match was when some guy called Zen in chat before anything loaded up. I choose Zenyatta by default, as he's my best hero and we always seem to be low on healers, but I'm game for other heroes if someone wants to be him that's fine. But then this guy starts saying we need three tanks (attack on Dorodo), swearing that the meta is three tanks and two healers. Whatever, this guy's got a plan, I'll go D.Va then.

We never get a 2nd healer, it's just this Zenyatta who can't really heal 3 tanks at once... so I'm thinking of switching next time I die when that loving guy says in chat (all caps): "UGH, WHY DO THEY KEEP TARGETING ME?" Our only healer asks that. And then switches to yet another tank.

I was actually doing fairly well staying alive as D.Va so it was a while before we had another healer, because of course no one else was going to switch. We go on to play a pretty mediocre match.

On defense the guy slam picks Zenyatta again and demands 3 tanks. I suggest 2 tanks and 2 healers instead, to which he responds "gently caress, we've already lost."

A minute into the match he says "gently caress this, someone else take healing." So I go Zen and we proceed to fairly easily win... because one of their players dropped.

The rear end in a top hat on my team is ecstatic, and starts talking a ton of poo poo in the open chat telling the other team how bad they were. To our teams credit, multiple people told him to shut up and offered their condolences to the other team for the drop, but this one rear end in a top hat... Jesus.

That was the worst victory I've ever had.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Goondolonces.

The tryhard thread informs me that, if you're screwed in placement, you should look to your own performance before blaming others, and that anything can be overcome by simply carrying the matches yourself!
Well, in the long run they're right.

Even people dropping. As long as you never drop, there's only 5 people who can drop on your team, and 6 on the other team. Over the very long run, that's going to be to your advantage.

You can get totally hosed short term though, and that sucks.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've been playing Zenyatta pretty much exclusively for a while in competitive, and I always ask for a 2nd healer if no one else picks one (at my level people only tend to pick a 2nd healer without prompting half of the time or less). Things tend to go well if it's a Lucio, as we heal in really different ways. I sometimes feel redundant if it's a Mercy, but I can at least see who she's latched on to and heal the number two priority, or I can throw my balls out to a distant flanker I see in a window without worrying about the main group as much.

If it's Ana, things tend not to go so well. I can never really figure out what she's doing and it often feels like I'm healing by myself.

I really need to learn how to play Lucio better, as my Zenyatta isn't exactly phenomenal (though I have the most fun playing him), and he's not great in every situation (as when paired up with an Ana). But if I'm not doing well and need to switch it's not like someone else will actually take up the healer role in the middle of a fight. Ana's seems like she'd be bad in the same situations that Zenyatta is, and I could never really get the hang of Mercy. It's frustrating to see my team failing badly, know that someone needs to change, and if that person is me the team is just going to be even more hosed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I just had a series of king of the hill battles where we lost the first two badly because we only had one tank and they weren't very good. I was Zenyatta (as usual) so it took a bit of communication to get someone else to pick up a healer and I switched to D.Va, the only tank I'm remotely good at.

And it worked! Even though I'm far from the best, I was carrying the team and we had it 99% to 0% easily.

And then someone on the other side switched to Zarya.

That was the end of that game. Feels bad being so completely shut down by a single character.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Efexeye posted:

kinda disappointed with Zen but I won't get it anyway :D
I am totally in love with that Zen but probably I won't get it. :negative:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Zen's skin looks like it should only be a purple in which case if what people are saying is true just 750 overbux and you can have it no matter how bad your luck is.
Oh wow, yeah, the update just went through and I can buy it. Cool!

Not gonna buy it until closer to the end of the event, but still that's a huge relief.

Hackan Slash posted:

At least with the summer games they got their home country colors. Here it's just gray.
Zenyatta's black with a skeleton painted on him. It's awesome. :colbert:

And some of us like gray. I was entirely disinterested in basically every sports skin (with the exception of a few nice national recolors), but pretty much all these ridiculous dumb spooky skins are to my liking.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ruggington posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "gg, close game" unironically
Wait, people say that sarcastically to be dicks? I say that all the time after really good matches. I hope I don't come off as a dick... :ohdear:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

They said that plats will probably place lower to distribute more people to gold/silver as a lot of people placed too high last season, so could be that.
Is that what it is? I was wondering what they said about placing lower this season.

I placed 55 season one, 2300 season two, and just now... 1770. I guess I'm getting worse and worse! Unless it's a placement thing.

So I'm solidly silver. That's fine. If the matchmaking doesn't expect me to be any good, I should have more chill matches where I get to kick rear end, right?

Ha. People in silver are the least chill people I've ever played with. Haven't had a single game that didn't have someone yelling at their teammates for doing it wrong. I naively thought that I'd be yelled at for picking the "wrong" character less often in silver. It's actually happening more regularly, but for way more dumb and arbitrary reasons. There's a pervasive sense of bitterness that I never experienced in gold.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Idia posted:

I was in silver like all of Season 2. It was mostly chill except for weekends.
Most teams I've been on so far have had people complaining about how they were gold last season. Maybe these things will sort themselves out over time as people make peace with their silver, or get back to gold.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean forget comp team structures for a second, if your team doesn't have a second guy to heal that guy who's healing the rest of your team, the game's going to get a whole lot less fun every time that guy gets dropped.
Yeah. Games with only one healer are generally more frustrating. As I'm often the only healer, I know it's more stressful for them too. People spamming "need healing!" when you're walking back from spawn is no fun. That's probably what the Ana's problem was.

If anyone asks for two tanks in quick play, feel free to laugh at their silly comp mindset though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

the base is a retexture, but then it also has a unique hat, gold+bow version of her robot, and a different iceblock. so it's not "literally a palette swap of the basic skin that is like 100 coins or whatever".
if it did not have those things, it would be, but it does, so it isn't.
I don't think there's any other legendary skin that's a retexture of the base skin. Those are all epic level, even if they add a hat like Lucio's Christmas skin, or change some stuff like a bunch of Pharah skins.

It's pretty underwhelming, especially as Mei hasn't had any other event skins yet.

On the plus side, I have no reason not to buy her Abominable or Yeti Hunter skins after this event, as those are pretty sweet, and I was holding off in case she got an awesome Christmas skin.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

phthalocyanine posted:

I was bored so i made this glib and handy flowchart, for every pubbie symmetra I run into that hasn't figured this out yet

I'm sharing this with my friends who still prefer the teleporter in most situations. It's pretty frustrating.

They also think Ana's a Zen-style secondary healer, and the only "real" healers are Lucio and Mercy. It can be rough.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I've remapped discord orb to right click so I can more easily throw it out in the middle of a firefight. The volley shot is too situational to take up that binding, IMO.
Note that the volley is really useful for poking around corners though, so you should probably rebind it to shift, rather than e, so you can use it more easily while strafing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

So most of her damage then :v:

But like really she already did poo poo damage, and now its more dependent on pellet spread + extremely close range. I don't get how that is going to feel "more consistent"
I believe the idea is that at greater ranges with more pellets in the air she'll distribute her damage more evenly through her cone of spread. You're not going to be doing more damage at point blank or anything. In general I imagine it'd average out to being basically the same as now.

In most cases I don't see what difference that would make, but I guess you're a bit more likely to get a random plink on someone super far away, who might otherwise have gotten lucky and avoided all your shot.

It doesn't really sound like a nerf, just a change, though I'd be curious to hear if someone knows when that kind of difference would actually matter. Maybe before if you were really unlucky you'd line someone up and they'd happen to avoid most of the shot by sheer luck? I never noticed anything like that before, though.

Edit: I thought she did more damage than she did and two points was basically nothing compared to her total output. It's actually about 10%, so I guess that'll probably be noticeable.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I quite like playing capture the flag. I don't have a lot of experience with it in FPS games like this, but I enjoy defending, and sneaking and stuff so it's been a lot of fun.

... Except for the fact that no one ever wins. I've seen one flag get successfully captured so far. Fortunately it was my team so I got the win, but draw after draw since then is... kind of awkward.

Like, I love playing the map, but it always ends with a "well that happened" that even a defeat wouldn't make me feel.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pushing point B on any 2 point map. You die in the team fight with your ult, as often happens. In the spawn room you rotate your ult and point it right at the point. Bam, you've given your team great cover from any enemies returning from their spawn. Maybe rendered that turret or Bastion utterly useless.

An infinite barrier would be great for offense.

I'm excited to see how all these crazy changes will pan out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I play this game very casually with friends who are a lot more into it. I love playing support. Even as healbot Mercy it's fun to hang out with my friends, call things out and generally have a good time together, or share a bad time if we're losing horribly again. I would probably not enjoy playing Mercy by myself with random people, but I'd also never play this game by myself with random people at all.

Overwatch is the only FPS I can stand to play with them because I am not good at shooting things, and I don't really care to get good at shooting things. I've actually been really happy with how much variety there is in character selection. It's nice to feel like there's characters for your playstyle when you're not a hardcore FPS fan.

Sounds like things are being rebalanced to gently caress over people like me at the behest of the more hardcore player base. Oh well. I imagine people like me aren't going to be the loudest voices when there are balance issues.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

a.) There are very, very loud players like you they are 70% of the people on the battle.net forums.
b.) None of the support heroes have had their kits changed except to give them all health regeneration.
a.) That's good(?) to hear?
b.) From the reports I heard, with there only being one tank that you can just walk around, it sounds like there's more flanking and supports randomly dying in an unfun way, if they don't have a lot of mobility.

I'm a bit confused why you're trying to say both that a lot of people have recognized an issue and that there is no issue, but I'm not super invested in the issue either way. Either it's balanced or not, and I haven't played it, and I probably will play it when my friends get back into it. I'm slightly worried it'll be a shittier experience for me.

The main intent of my previous post was to provide a counterexample to the folks verging on saying support should just be more DPS with some healing, without calling that idea out specifically because I think people were mostly joking about it. The best part of Overwatch has been the diversity of playstyles so I really hope they don't move away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DrBox posted:

Nobody is picking up the game because Mei looks cool! I agree a way to target heroes would be nice though but in the end around 100 quick play games to unlock 32 characters is way better than any other game on the market and only feels bad in comparison to OW1. New players will not have that experience to compare against.
I picked up Overwatch because my friends were into it and so I looked over a few characters. I thought Bastion and Zenyatta looked like they'd be fun to play so I gave it a go.

If my friends were into Overwatch 2 I simply would not have bothered playing because I'd have to play characters that didn't look interesting to me.

Incidentally my friends seem to have lost all interest in Overwatch 2 after learning about the obnoxious monetization so I'll probably never play it and I'm just lurking in this thread to watch the trainwreck, but I did want to offer that perspective as a less hardcore player.