Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This discussion of launch overwatch has me thinking of 1) Overwatch Classic lmao 2) trying hard to remember what the game was like at launch. I played a ton at launch and in the first year and I don't actually have a good idea of what's changed, because I was living through it and not really impartially keeping track.

Also, What's up with DIVA these days?

Actually, does anyone have a link to a series of matches that was TF2 pros invited to play against OW devs? It was in the run up to the release and I recall a kings row map where the dev Cassidy was apparently a former quake rail gunner champ and he was a beast. The matches seemed so exciting in my memory, I'd really like to rewatch it but it's been very hard for me to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I sunno, Sombra hacking someone else's PotG is pretty great

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Came here to post that article and ridicule on it.

This is shaping up to be a disaster; hell Cyberpunk has never been better so it's time to pass the mantle baby!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, honestly, I think they need to trim the cast down to launch numbers and having a rotating cast. There being a dozen tanks of dubious usefulness matters a lot less when there's only three or four you can use at any given time.

Otherwise, I mean they just can't keep adding more Heroes (yes the tracer line I know), it's a mess already.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol a reviewer pointed out that you'll be grinding out about a hundred and fifty bucks at minimum wage to get those "free" heroes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
But these new players will be still be playing AGAINST everyone. And playing a hero, even a little, is the best way to learn them!

I remember when the game was new I'd pick a hero for no reason other than after even one round as them I had much better idea of what they did, far more than you'd gain just from playing against them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It'll take about twenty hours to clear the necessary number of missions to unlock the ow1 roster, and f2p games remind me of something once said about fixing your own car:

"And the labor's free! As long as you think your time is worthless!"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As was alluded to earlier, in TF2 You could mod out all cosmetics, fat chance of doing that here.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can learn everything you need to about the future of Blizzard video games by looking at how money they made from Diablo Immortal and it's bleak.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh hey that really did bother me, hey that's not so bad. :unsmith:

:argh: you're Just wasting time and effort recreating the same thing !?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

adhuin posted:

TLDR: Old custom game modes and codes work and you can play them in OW2,
but you can't create new game modes at launch. It will be updated in future patch.

Is there a custom game mode that recreates overwatch 1 at launch? Not a joke post, i don't know how many variables these modes can change.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-review-in-progress/

"The original Overwatch changed the shape of the FPS genre in the years following its explosive release in 2016, before Fortnite and battle royales took over. Instead of synthesizing what made the original game enviable and revitalizing it, the sequel takes what was left and wraps it up in a monetization scheme that could finally kill it for good."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a well reasoned article from someone that has played "thousands of hours" of OW1. One excellent point the author makes is that the challenges, such as overhealing a teammate or blocking damage with a barrier, are going to create meta incentives to play sub opitmally. For example, perhaps you should drop that Rinehart shield and push forward, but you keep it up because filling up that challenge means more to you than winning this particular firefight (or even this match?)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They could keep your challenges hidden and unlock them when done, like achievements. The Algorithm could even assign them to you based on what you're playing.

I'm going to feel a lot better if I'm just playing normally and then after a match it says "You healed your teammates! Cheevo!!"

Since it's hidden it could even fudge the numbers in your favor if you're going too long without an achievement.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"slim and curvy"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't unlock Genji after literally one game? They can say that it's about onboarding, they can even mean it, but someone made poor choices in what unlocks where. It also doesn't even address that idea that you should probably unlock in distinct tracks by role? I don't give a poo poo about these one thousand DPS characters if I'm play tank, I'm thinking about all these other tanks I could try.

In industry news, the Multi Versus devs DOUBLED the unlock grind because it was "too fast". It was not too fast, they want money

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Even if they want to lock heroes (boo!), They're being so presumptuous about giving them on a schedule. Just use an in game currency and let me pick like Apex, Valorant, etc. This goes double for the new heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They one hundred percent cited player engagement as why they locked them, it's not even a secret.