Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good thing im an adult and work can occupy my mind for these next several hours

haha

ahahahaha

: (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

I just said I had a doctors appointment at 4 so I can go home early.

maybe you should move to a real timezone, nerd

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wangsbig posted:

it is a very blatant attempt at money laundering because literally no element of it works well and there is no way it would have gotten past anyone with either a brain or eyeballs and greenlit for release

or, y'know, people are capable of making a mediocre game

the aliens colonial marines thing seems like it was money laundering or something going on there. but battleborn was made by an actual team with actual resources.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willie Tomg posted:

side note: lol that Forbes is the grown-up video games journalism publication in 2016

its just a blog publishing thing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
borderlands was p cool imo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
who wants to fight with me, IDIOTLORD, come overwatch release (or perhaps a bit later because ill be out)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

You already know Goonsgarden illuminati will be all over it.

i have a feeling we'll have like a group of 9 or something stupid lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Emalde posted:

There'll be an extra 5million people that weren't around for the -actually free- open beta period, somehow.

I'm honestly actually half expecting that to be the case.

or more likely a lot of people who were like "oh fine ill try it its free" over the course of the entire week actually decided to buy it and slam the server at once.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oh my god

poor dude

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Atoramos posted:

Next one I read: Mei is a climate scientist who couldn't figure out what was causing climate change. Apparently the climate problems severely worsened since Mei was frozen, which is funny because the temperate-climate maps certainly don't seem to be inhospitable wastelands...

its cuz mei is making them cooler :cool:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im glad this game is almost out

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
or at least we'll see a bunch of servers down blizz is literally hitler posts, whichever

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is anyone surprised, really

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

where has my life gone

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i turned down my mouse sensitivity by 10 and my accuracy went up like 20% on soldier 76 dang

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

I promise you don't have to play that much to unlock lots of stuff and you'll have enough credits to buy a few must-have items for the heroes you really like

Don't spend another 50 bucks you weirdos

i spent 2 bucks because i wanted to see how the store worked

i got 5 sprays and got the same feeling when you open a bag of chips and there was way more air than you think

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tenzarin posted:

That isn't air. It's nitrogen gas to keep the chips fresh.

its air

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I think it did because my first 5 matches were straight dunked on losses. Or I just got saddled with really bad players.

perhaps maybe...... you were the really bad player

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TheTatteredKing posted:

Yeah mcree is more area denial, which is defense not offense. Maybe Mei could switch with him?

what

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i saw a level 57 today

goddamn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im #39 for most played zarya right now :stare:

also 62 win % aaaa

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is it just me or is are you almost guaranteed to end up on the commend screen as zarya long as you hit e whenever a dude is gettin hit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Reo posted:

I mean to confirm my selection. The point being I don't want to have to locate my mouse cursor

i feel like some sort of fast select would be good for competitive games but its not surprising that clicking on faces is a skill in a game where clicking on faces is a skill

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Verranicus posted:

" Seriously? You can't see the scoreboard because of some safe zone bull? To protect millenials from being "flamed" for doing poorly?

What about introducing a play mode where people who don't cry because of video games can play together and measure the performance of their team?

Why on earth did they remove this? http://i.imgur.com/7PtUwD3.png?1

Note: I'm not saying that I want a scoreboard so I can flame the lowest player. I'm just acknowledging the fact that flaming is a by-product of having a transparent playing field and if that's the reason they hide the stats (to protect your itty bitty feelings) then that's ludicrous."

This is why.

direct comparisons in a game where every character impacts the game in a completely different manner is kind of dumb thats why

i would like the info of what other characters are doing, but i dont need to know who is doing the "best" because that's just however thing are weighted by math and it's impossible to math "who is the best player on the team"

like, seeing 3 core stats of mercy (heals/deaths/damage through boosting) would be useful to see if the mercy has been having trouble healing or has died a lot so i can assist the mercy or pick a healer to pick up the slack if they're bad.

now imagine trying to get that number on a tab screen and make it look uh, anywhere decent.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 30, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Efexeye posted:

pleasedontaddinvisibility, pleasedontaddinvisibility, pleasedontaddinvisibility

they already said they tried and it was dumb, and honestly, i think they're smart enough to realize that invisibility should only be utilized tactically and as an escape mechanism for weak offensive characters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blizzard should write in-game lines better but also thats like my only criticism of the entire game basically so who cares

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also the update where aliens invade and unite all of the overwatch characters against them is gonna own

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brannock posted:

Blizzard created and designed a cast that's incredibly diverse with many broad archetypes that appeal to children and teenagers with just enough backstory and characterization that anyone who enjoys the base character can take it and attach their own characterization and quirks to it without contradicting or betraying the base character. One boy will get invested in Jack Morrison's heroics, another will be excited about Soldier: 76's ruthless vigilantism. The characters are cartoony yet detailed, peppered with loads of silly quotable lines that people can shout at each other, and all are highly recognizable.

Overwatch, consequently, has become an instant classic, with droves upon droves of memes and fanart and fanfiction and cosplay and lore discussion and enthusiasm and excitement and investment, capturing the loyalty of an entire new generation of starry-eyed gamers right when the previous, aging generation is finding other occupations with their life. And the game was released barely more than a week ago.

Obese early thirties manchildren with no goals and no prospects in life: "Blizzard's writing and characters suck!!!"

its ok that blizzard did one thing not-well

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
max sounded weird in mad max fury road its hot garbage and not actually an amazing movie with a small flaw that doesnt impact it that much

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Knifegrab posted:

People think Gearbox writing is good, writing I will remind you which is written by a loser who tried to have an open relationship with his wife, couldn't get laid while his wife hosed the whole town, got jealous, complained about it on twitter and got dumped.

People who like gearbox writing should be shot.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Knifegrab posted:

I... I don't understand, have I disappointed George R. R. Martin?!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Knifegrab posted:

Orson Scott what have I done wrong?!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its gonna be cool when everyone chooses a side over the whole omnic thing and then theres going to be a ~huge civil war~ and then right after the battle everyones grumpy and some people get new skins and junk for story purposes and then when the chips are down and no ones got a purpose and everyones arguing within their faction it turns out the aliens and the gorillas are fighting and new alliances are formed thus giving a justification for everyone to fight each other over stupid garbage

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good mccree nerfs:

if he uses fan theres a % chance of the gun jamming
high noon only works at the specified time (in your timezone)
he has a nasty hangover after a particularly good match and his roll makes him fall on his face
mccree develops lung cancer and is permanently removed from overwatch

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mr.Citrus posted:

I'm guessing they will make McCrees stun duration scale inverse to health. More health? Less stun. Like above 400 health there's no stun would work. He would still gently caress flankers but not auto shred tanks

too mathy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Cog posted:

It seems to be based solely on total score earned with that character, so anyone that plays one character a lot will naturally end up with a high rank as them. It's a worthless metric.

yeah so picking an unpopular pub char and just spamming games with them gets you pretty far. thats why i was like #37 on zarya or something lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
think of matchmaking as a number range for each player and whoever has the highest number wins. in several scenarios the number gap will be wide enough between the two teams that yeah you'll see some loving stomps. the range should account for playing something you're comfortable with, a good matchup, feelin' good that day, maybe you had a red bull, or the opposite: you're practicing a new dude, or you don't know that map very well, or you just got off a 12 hour shift after 3 hours of sleep and are grumpy as all heck.

when you have such a wide variance, you cannot accurately take a weighted number and make great games 100% of the time. it is not possible and becomes less and less possible the larger number of options a game presents, external variables arise, and the more players you insert.

matchmaking rating numbers should be imagined as a range or a set or a pattern. you cannot look at a single game and go "matchmaking sucks" because perhaps maybe...

it is u the one who sucks (in 3/10 games relative to other players of your skill level)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

think of matchmaking as a number range for each player and whoever has the highest number wins. in several scenarios the number gap will be wide enough between the two teams that yeah you'll see some loving stomps. the range should account for playing something you're comfortable with, a good matchup, feelin' good that day, maybe you had a red bull, or the opposite: you're practicing a new dude, or you don't know that map very well, or you just got off a 12 hour shift after 3 hours of sleep and are grumpy as all heck.

when you have such a wide variance, you cannot accurately take a weighted number and make great games 100% of the time. it is not possible and becomes less and less possible the larger number of options a game presents, external variables arise, and the more players you insert.

matchmaking rating numbers should be imagined as a range or a set or a pattern. you cannot look at a single game and go "matchmaking sucks" because perhaps maybe...

it is u the one who sucks (in 3/10 games relative to other players of your skill level)

also the matchmaking could just Be Bad but it honestly hasnt been that bad for me. i played a lot of games and after about 100ish the game should get a good idea of where you're really at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
reinhardt is probably one of the most balanced chars in the game imo?