Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More theory from Jastiger:

I remain more and more convinced that a moderate or even not-so-good Mercy is way better than a good and focused Lucio or Zenyatta. When the game gets tough and its required to become focused and coordinated, a decent Mercy will ALWAYS offset the balance in favor of her team over a really good Lucio and Zenyatta. She's just too good. Consistently in really close games a team with a lucio as a main healer who is shooting everyone and beating their rear end is essentially nullified by a bad Mercy who ults every 5 minutes or so and gives their team that clutch win to get the point.

Its a shame because Lucio and Zenyatta are such interesting and fun takes on support classes, and they are just completely overshadowed by a Mercy and her ult.

Goon thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

lucio is incredibly good, especially on koth, in a way that the other two aren't. the revive mercy has is great but lucio's ult is also incredible at keeping people alive, and his boost makes him heal in an area better than mercy can do for any one person. mercy and lucio are both really good medics. zenyatta isn't but he's not supposed to be played as a pure healer in the first place so it's not a fair comparison

please keep in mind that it's not a choice of either/or. lucio and mercy both on one team is good

Don't get me wrong, I"m not saying Lucio or Zen are "BAD", they absolutely are not. But I'm finding that no matter how good a player they are, a moderately OK Mercy is going to out perform them. A team without Mercy is at a disadvantage against a team WITH one like 95% of the time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a cat on an apple posted:

Keep in mind that right now the majority of games are played with the equivalent of pre-Season 1 League of Legends team compositions, e.g. everyone picks whatever the hell they want with no rhyme or reason as to if the team actually needs it.

I see Lucio and Zenyatta as support heroes that excel at turning ongoing fights completely on their heads. Lucio does this by having the ability to heal 120 HP/3s and having what is basically a "we win the teamfight" ability in Sound Barrier. He's also insanely mobile and has one of the few displacements in the game, and it's very spammable. This makes him incredible at skirmishing, and allows him to help the team extremely actively. Zenyatta on the other hand should be considered as one of the biggest threats. He has 150 HP for a drat good reason - his left click deals 140 damage on a headshot against a Discorded target, and has a 2.5 rps. He also has the highest raw healing in the game, at 100 HP/s in an AoE. While it doesn't protect against one-shot threats like Lucio does, it's a huge amount of healing and takes specific coordinated focus fire to kill someone through it.

Mercy and Symmetra, on the other hand, have Ultimates that are less about winning the current fight, but more getting a swift second shot at another fight, with their associated downsides. Mercy's Ult, while having instant feedback, leaves everyone incredibly vulnerable; Symmetra's Ult allows for more flexibility in regrouping, but it isn't instant.

The reason why Mercy seems better than Lucio is because of how bad most of the players are, teamfight wipes happen frequently to really dumb poo poo like Junkrat tires or just a Bastion in the corner, and a passive Mercy reviving everyone instantly after the only threatening thing is gone has immediate feedback on the impact, whereas Lucio and Zenyatta have to be preemptive in using their power to salvage idiots, and even then won't always be enough because of how uncoordinated solo queue is.

You're right, and my position is, at least in quick play, that most teams aren't coordinated so that mercy impact because of poor play is greater than the team smart enough to retreat to heal with Lucio.

It's one of those things where you're technically right but the way the chips fall it tends not to matter, and Mercy ends up being far better.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jastigers Mercy theory continues to gain ground among academics and the community

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jakep must be running a mod that attracts my arrows to his skull :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tcjimbo posted:

If your arrows have dicks on them it could be drawn to his mouth.

Rip Jakep.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm i remember a while back i wanted more rocket dmg from Pharah on direct hits. After successfully ambushing snipers and direct hitting them twice, and them not dying. I stand by that. Its ridiculous to shoot them point blank and have them still get away. She should be easy to snipe and have a more punishing presence with her rockets.

Also my theory remains reinforced every day!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Then I'm getting drat close and the hit detection has me missing but on their model. I'll swoop in from above hit them directly twice and they'll ninja away or some such. Its SO frustrating because they are obviously outflanked, yet can still turn and two shot me with Widow.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I formerly apologize to LadyNaga and friends for all of my Ice Puns every time I'd kill someone as Mei :shobon:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its time for Jastiger's list of Changes to Overwatch to make it more balanced and competitive.

Genji: Mostly stay as he is. A light, fast, and lethal assassin.

McCree: Still pretty good after the nerf. He needed the nerf. I'd say leave him as he is post nerf

Pharah: She needs to have more HP if she's gonna be an offensive attacker. I feel like her rockets COULD have a bit more splash damage, but even so, I think buffing her to 250 or 225 would be a fair balance for her as an offensive character. Also little thruster jets to move a bit more in air would be cool, but i think thats a bit much now.

Reaper: Mostly alright, deadly close range, but not so much far away. I'm not sure I'd allow him to still gain health packs while phantomed though. That seems a bit much. Take that away and I think he's alright.

Soldier 76: Pretty good and balanced. Maybe have a bit more weapon spread at super long range since there is no damage drop off, except when he ults. Its a bit silly for him to pick apart people from so far away with spray and pray.

Tracer: P good as is, really. Her ult should charge a bit faster since it doesn't really do THAT much damage. It should do enough to take out a roadhog, or it should recharge faster since its so easy to miss.

Bastion: Pretty good as is except maybe add a BIT more delay to moving out of turret mode.

Hanzo: Pretty good as is if they make it so you can freakin hear his ultimate. I'd maybe change the animation so you can tell which direction its going in, otherwise p good.

Junkrat: Pretty good as is. His passive is kinda dumb though and I wish there was something more exciting offered

Mei: Her Right click does maybe a LITTLE too much damage on a headshot with the huge hitboxes they have. It'd be nicer if she had a bit more of a UI clue as to when you're in range to do damage vs just ineffectually shooting your gun.

Torbjorn Why does his ult give HIM mega armor? It should boost his turret for sure, but turning him into a hero that out damages other offensive heroes seems a bit silly on top of the mega armor he gets.His turret shouldn't be nerfed damage wise, but maybe have its range a bit reduced. Take away his mega fast firing on ult, take away the armor, but keep his hammer swings super fast and i think he'd be in a good place.

Widowmaker EASILY needs her hitpoints reduced to 175 or even 150. Her escape combined with her massive headhit boxes combined with her ability to indiscriminately dispense kills on the enemy team make her a bit on the OP side. This should be countered by lowering her hit point total so she can't absorb so many shots and then ninja away to 360 no scope folks. Her damage nerf was needed, but now she needs her hp reduced a smidge. Also some sort of screen shake would be nice, but not necessary.

D.VA She's pretty good right now. She's more a skirmisher than a straight up tank though.

Reinhart Lower the range on his hammer. It hits way too hard to have characters be REALLY far away from him and him still get massive damage on them. Like Roadhog, he shouldn't be starting attacks, then changing his curser and keeping full damage on people behind him in a 360 radius. Otherwise pretty good
Roadhog Definitely needs a nerf. His gun is and should be lethal, but his hook is dumb the way it is now. As long as your cursor is on the enemy when it hits it, you hit that point. This means you can have a complete miss, track to your target, and score a hook around a corner or cancel out an escape vector, which is not how it should be. His hook should come out faster and be where his cursor is at the time of initiation. No more of this random hooks, then tracking the target and landing a hook around corners or against evasive characters. It comes out fast, goes in fast, doesn't track targets. Its too strong to do that for as easy as it is to land. Also he should take bonus damage while healing if he's caught.

Winston Leave as is, maybe give a bit more of cursor icon so you know when an enemy is in range and how many enemies you're hitting.

Zarya She can be ridiculously powerful if played right. Again, maybe a cursor so you know how far away the enemy is and whether you can even hit them or not.

Zenyatta: He's pretty powerful as he is now, and the fact that he can discord orb makes him deserving of a low health pool. I say leave as it.

Symmetra: A cursor as to whether you can hit the enemy or not. Also her ult should be changed so that it can be recharged if you earn enough to recharge it. Its a bit silly to have the ult start at zero again only after the teleporter expires or is destroyed. A mechanic where it can keep going based on how well the Symmetra is doing seems like it'd make it a lot more interactive and balanced.

Mercy: Pretty good where she is right now, perhaps with a bit longer cooldown on her ult so it isn't a redo so quickly. It seems right now sometimes the team is so bad she has to heal them so much she gets to res twice in the same push, which isn't something other heroes tend to be able to do.

Lucio. Pretty nice as is, maybe make his wall skating a bit more intuitive is all.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rear end posted:

Jesus Christ, no.

Actually yes.

I'd say the changes to Widow, Roadhog, and Torb are probably the most pressing changes. I'll be awaiting my call back from Blizzards balance team shortly.

Pharah is pretty powerful, for sure. It just seems strange she has the same hit points as other characters with far more offensive capabilities or even snippers and the like. I get a feeling of assault front liner from her vs the flanker we see in Reaper or McCree. Why doesn't she have more HP than them?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rear end posted:

Zenyatta and D.Va are begging for a buff and you want to change Roadhog's hook? You use the hook once, you probably will get a kill, then the enemy team will gently caress you up due to a tiny capacity shotgun.

I was thinking DVA s hould get a buff, but if she's played right she's brutal. Never having to reload and being able to push players around is actually pretty slick. Giving her more HP wouldn't really do anything and her guns doing more damage...ehh, they already do pretty good damage. MAYBE increase when its near melee range, but thats about it.

As for Zen, he is simply super strong.. Orb of discorde is a 50% damage boost to a 45 damage orb. That is 90 damage with a clip of 20. Thats a lot of leeway for misses and the like. Zen is really squishy for sure, but he SHOULD be. He gives his team 50% damage against a target, that is HUGE. He's fine and is the sleeper hero we're gonna see boost up in the rankings here in a few weeks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

there's a thread for your giant weird effortposts about balance you ultraspergs.

I got rank 55 with 6/4. one game being a stomp because we were 4v6

pretty okay with never playing competitive again until next season, though.

Link? My balance ideas need to be in every OW thread.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boogle posted:

I'm partial to Winston. Reflect? Can't reflect a tazer you worthless weeaboo ninjaman.

I've found it surprisingly easy to melee down bad Genji's. A good Genji will r un away or hit you back, but a bad one will keep trying to ninja star you. Just melee attack a few times and they are near death and its funny.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

khy posted:

The range of the hammer is 5 meters - 15 feet. It looks like it shouldn't reach that far, but it sure as hell does. It has the exact same range as Genji's ult, but does 45 less damage per hit.

Armor is best against rapid-firing, low-damage weapons and shotgun-style weapons as they knock off 5 damage per hit. Reaper's shotgun blast, point blank, against a non-critbox does 140 damage to a roadhog because each pellet does 10 damage. Same hit on a D.Va does 70 damage as each pellet is reduced.

Whereas a Reinhardt melee does 75 damage to the hog, and 70 to D.Va.

You're right, his hammer is plenty strong and the radius is plenty big. He can also turn to the left start swinging and turn right and swing more than 180 degrees in front of him.

I think reins hammer is almost TOO strong with the range it has and the turning swings. He's plenty dangerous up close.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Got my first 28 kill streak on competative. Didnt die once, had a 40% direct hit ratio as pharah. I boost up to rain justice, Enemy team wipes my team, lose round.

:negative:

There was no justice.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Overwatch COmpetative: A race to see who leaves first!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More Jastiger balance ideas!

When it comes to overtime or sudden death it should be a 1:1+1 ratio for stopping the overtime counter. IF all 6 of a team are on a point and there is only 1 person on there, it shouldn't count for resetting, or should at a much diminished rate. If its 2, should count for 1, etc etc. Maybe this should only apply to point capture or KOTH, but its frustrating to hold out for 10 minutes because a tracer or reaper keeps tapping the point and running away, tapping and running away. THe rules should change a bit to move the game along.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They gonna nerf roadhogs retarded hook so it doesn't have s hit radius of the side of a barn. That poo poo needs to come out faster instead of people throwing the hook, THEN tracking with the cross hair and scoring a hit. If they aren't in the center when its fired, it should be a miss.

Plus it shouldnt pull around or through geometry. If pharahs conc grenade, junkrats nades, and mercys dash are all interrupted by little bits of geometry likes stairs and ledges, it makes no sense for roadhogs hook to ignore that and pull around corners or through pillars.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Blizz reads this thread, they put in some of my changes in the latest patch :smug:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Same. Thanks, Blizzard, for listening to my repeated calls for "make Zenyatta suck less."

I DID call for Soldier to get a bit of a nerf on his long range weapon spread. Request granted. *awaits job interview*

Now they just need to nerf roadhogs hook the way i want them to and I think the game will be in a good place.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
His hook needs to come out faster and not track his crosshair. As it is now roadhog can be off his target, hit Shift, it'll come out then he can adjust to his target mid-throw and it'll connect. No other weapon works that way nor does any other weapon go through geometry the way his does.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zoness posted:

that guy thought pharah needed more hp in the previous patch. people should stop thinking he posts anything worth paying attention to

same but also nerf how much people want to play mei despite her uselessness

She does need more HP or at least some of it to be armor. Its ridiculous that assault characters have the same or less hp than some snipper characters.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But, Pharah is my favorite so she should obviously be buffed.

That wasn't that high on the list though, the biggest things I thought were reducing Widows HP to 175, Giving Soldier 76 a bit of a fall off at range (which they did), and changing roadhogs hook to be more consistent, and not to track targets with the projectile in flight. Should come out faster and thats it, really, so you can't shoot without the crosshair at least on your target.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Papercut posted:

This isn't what they did, you're misunderstanding the patch notes. They didn't change anything wrt his long range effectiveness. They made it so the bloom reset on his shot spread has a cooldown, instead of being instantaneous as soon as you release M1. The reason was to discourage people using scripts to let them hold down M1 but maintain perfect accuracy.

Right, which has the effect of him not nailing every shot from 60 yards away. Its a good balance, I think. He still does damage but isn't headshotting all the time from an extreme distance.

Perestroika posted:

This is made up for by having some of the best mobility out of the entire cast, combined with her particular weapon. 200 HP goes a really, really long way if you can peek from virtually every angle and have a perfectly accurate long-ranged weapon with great burst damage. With the possible exception of Hanzo or Widow, Pharah has the least exposure relative to the damage she can put out, and has an easy escape available almost all the time. If there was no way to quickly take her down in the few seconds at a time that you can usually see her, a good Pharah would be virtually unkillable.

I'm just salty cuz snippers have as much HP as Pharah, thats all. She's really good right now, I agree.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Just like before the patch?

Nah 76 was p accurate with the tap method from really far away. Maybe he still is, in which case my posts are retracted

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Papercut posted:

It doesn't affect his long range accuracy at all, it affects his fire rate. I mean sure, either way it affects his long range DPS, but the change also affects everything but his point-blank DPS.

Yeah his point blank DPS is great, I was talking more about his ability to headshot 15 times out of 20 from an extreme distance. I thought that was a little broken, and I was thinking the new update would prohibit people from always keeping the crosshair tight forever, thus reducing their 15/20 headshots to maybe 10/20 or so. No?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

he can still do that, it just takes a little longer

Soooo effectively its a nerf then in the style, if not the method, I had indicated?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The only thing I don't feel like I optimize my use of a lot is the sleeping dart. What's common protocol when you hit someone? Leave them out of commission for a few seconds and just leave, pop off an easy shot immediately and just have them wake up? Usually my teammates are off doing something else to properly capitalize when I put someone to sleep, so the best use I can think for it is using it to save a teammate in a scuffle but that seems like it needs some quick thinking and aim and the grenade seems better suited to that.

Sleep all bastions forever

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So it appears putting them to sleep just momentarily stuns them,it does NOT cancel some ults. I put to sleep Roadhog, and he got up really fast and kept ulting. It DOES stop a reinhart dead though.

Is there something that determines the length of time of the sleep?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Afraid of Audio posted:

if you deal any amount of damage to a sleeped target they instantly wake up, its likely you sleeped the roadhog before he lost ult charge so he instantly ulted again

Ah good point, thats likely what happened. As soon as i saw him wind up I was like NOPE.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As a Pharah player I"m feeling the effects of everyone else getting buffed. Not saying its terrible, but it seems now instead of being able to fly and have to dodge shots, you just can't fly if they have a McCree or Zen. If they are half way competent, you're dead. McCree is hit scan so he'll 3 shot you before even 2 perfectly timed and aimed rockets will reach him, and Zen can just spew out so much discord and orbs that if he doesn't lucky head shot you, someone else will with the discord orb on.

I still wish Pharah had 25 HP of armor or some such, and maybe its just confirmation bias, but it seems every character got a LOT stronger in the last patch and you have to really watch your rear end now lol. McCree especially, even a bad one will still take off 175 of your hps in a clip before your rockets can even harm him.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

nah you just can't fly around with impunity anymore. I've had a lot of success playing a more ambush -centric playstyle with pharrah

edit: also even the best mcree can rarely do poo poo if you get good at conc blasting him and then shooting a rocket at where you know he'll land :cool:

e2:

lol were you playing with me last night I kept getting potg for exactly that

Yeah you can still kill McCree with a conc+rocket combo, for sure. But now its far more likely that you can be plinked down from long range without being able to really return fire. Its definitely a meta-nerf for the Pharah hero which for many, can be a good thing. For me, a Pharah favorite, not so much :D

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing some comp. As a Pharah player, McCree needs a mega nerf :mad:.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Revelant posted:

They took away my right click, so I had to left click.

Then they complain that I left click them.

Then they BUFF ME!

Pharah boosts into the air.

.025 second later: "Its high noon"

Pharah dead.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

Maybe stop launching yourself unthinkingly into the air like the world's laziest clay pigeon and this won't happen. My Pharah game improved tremendously when I realized that it actually isn't very advantageous to stay airborne as often as possible and that "people don't look up" only lasts for the first rocket or two.

Repetition doesn't actually inherently bring mastery is the thing, and looking at the hours someone's played a video game and then sneering down at them for not having a better number beside their name is pretty fuckin lovely.

For sure you don't want to just "unthinkingly" do it. But I mean..its kind of Pharah's thing. Otherwise you're just a slow moving ground target that can't get around the REin shield. Having a McCree on the enemy team can just shut down every advantage of having a Pharah. Which may be working as intended but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah, i mean, at the very least, her space bar ability seems pretty useless now.

They removed her ability to jump in the patch man, didn't you see?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

use it to get on top of roofs and to move quickly combined with the conc blast. also just for general mobility. use it to go point to point, not into the air. you should never be jumping at an angle steeper than 45 degrees. also post your watcher.gg i want to compare myself against another pharrah main

Watcher.gg what is that?

Edit: Re: queues: I almost feel like there should be a solo queue rank and then a team rank. WHenever I team up I probably have a 70% queue rate, but don't always have buddies available. So I solo queue and probably win like 50% of my matches. I went from 56 to 50 over the course of a few days and am still struggling to get back up to even 54. I have other friends who are up into the 60's who are about as good as I am, but they have a consistent team to go with. I don't know how its workable or even if its possible but I feel like past a certain point its less a skill rating and more a "how many buds do you have" rating.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zoness posted:

also if you're a 60 and you lose to a 54 because you had one off-game rip your skill rating

But if you are the 54 grats on your 1/5th gain to their 1/2 level loss.

^^^ if you're consistently doing really well but still lose, there is hardly a worse feeling in the OW Competative queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

don't forget that zen was buffed as well. it's pretty dangerous to fly around as pharah now with all these discord orbs around and mccree oneshots her with a headshot when she's discorded

this isn't me saying to nerf mccree/discord, but you gotta realize that pharah got hit harder than just mccree bodyshots from range

This is what I was saying earlier. I'm not saying Pharaoh should be able to fly with impunity and you should always seek cover and be smart with the jump jets. But with these changes it seems its bad for Pharah to fly AT ALL. Its almost a complete shut down of the hero if the other team is paying attention.

I will say that McCree seems a WEE bit strong now maybe just because of the meta or something. A lot of games now he's just chillin way far away and dropping 100 dmg shots on people from a distance they simply can't return fire. Which is the role of a sniper sure, but he has a lot more sustain and utility outside of that role. I feel like they should definitely increase his dmg at range, but I Think its still a bit high up there for as much punishment he can dishout. Maybe put his falloff somewhere close to 76's.

I really liked the idea of an anti flanker in McCree but he's turning into an anti everything at this point simply because of the damage he can do at ALL ranges.