Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, naturally those who didn't take part in the open beta are people who either haven't paid much attention to the game (and so know little about the characters and how to play) or who don't play many games overall.

This is the downside to blizz games being so popular. It'll pass in a week or two though just like beta.

Yeah every other match is either complete newbs or extremely good. Its jarring.

I feel like if they disabled Reaper for like two weeks things'll look up on that front. You can usually tell who's going to win a match by seeing which team has fewer Reapers on it- Ever since I noticed it and started keeping track, some 80% of the matches that have had at least one Reaper has been won by the team with the Reaper deficit. Most people are just terrible with him, especially if an enemy Bastion is in the equation. And they never, ever switch. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Probably dumb question, is all the jerky character animations and people blipping around a result of my own connection sucking, Blizzard's servers being overwhelmed, or both? I don't remember it being this bad when I was playing Vermintide and given that this is a fast-paced shooter I'd like to be able to hit what I'm aiming at rather than watching someone teleport five feet to the left every time I pull the trigger.

Also I suck at Bastion for such a supposedly OP character, I'm not bad with Torbjorn though.

That's Tracer. Her gimmick is to simulate lag by blinking around and having her health mysteriously refill to where it was a few seconds ago. :v:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dren posted:

they're not gonna lower widowmaker's 150 dmg at full charge or nerf fth so hard it won't kill tracer.

Lucio is top tier because of his passive healing and needs to be on the team so I'm glad people like him. And if you have a good doot once in a while then that's icing on the cake.

Luico adds hundreds of HP to his team over the course of a fight as long as the don't go diving to their deaths and actually have half a brain to back off under heavy pressure. If he has an ultimate up, that can become thousands. No other character can possibly add that much to their team, and Lucio does most of that by existing. Literally the only way to match that is with your own Lucio, so that the only way anyone actually DOES die is by someone getting in and ham-fistedly putting people on respawn timers or some kind of pick.

Mercy is the only other character who's sheer strength is comparable to Lucio's right now, and that's ENTIRELY encapsulated with her Ultimate. When her Q isn't up, she is moment-to-moment one of the least useful characters in an Overwatch squad unless there's a player on the team on such a level above the average on either team that she can serve as a pocket support for them. She can slowly restore one other character's HP while removing herself of having any offensive impact on an encounter AND having a big glowing line connected to that target saying stop shooting this guy and KILL THE OTHER ONE but her ult is basically 100% additional HP for 2-4 heroes and is generally considered the highest priority target to take down in a fight if her ultimate is known to be up because it can and does win fights by itself. Lucio will regularly outperform that ultimate on a good team before taking his own ultimate in mind.

Add to that any of his other abilities like boosting mobility nearby squads when useful, the ability to shoot a gun (and to shoot that gun while still healing everyone around himself- Lucio 2, Mercy 0) or to use said gun's alternate fire to just delete opponents from a conflict near out of bounds areas, or even his personal extreme mobility and the ability to get almost wherever he wants while getting away from whoever he needs to. Lucio's going to be strong for a very long time- until he's nerfed so far below the ground no one can hear him drop the beat.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
McCree still feels fine he just doesn't destroy everything for free if someone rounds a corner in front of him. The 150/200 class health heroes die instantly, the 250s usually just require a Roll -> M1 to finish the job, so Mei and Reaper now have time to actually use their abilities and react to poo poo. He still wrecks tanks and stationaries thanks to having one of the best M1s in the game on top of BangFanRollFan.

Widowmaker still feels fine too- a good Widow is still something that absolutely needs dealing with, she just doesn't get to noskill Tracer/Zen anymore and takes a little more time rescoping to finish off the 200 health pack.

The big winner from both nerfs is probably Reaper, honestly, who always had a lot of trouble getting picked off while flanking by these two. Now that he actually has time to react to snipes/bangs with his shift to get out and find another angle maybe he'll stop feeling like such a goddamn drain on my patience every time he shows up on my team. Mei wins too, but eh, can't have everything you want.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah torb is stupid OP on console defense. If you have a line of sight widowmaker is an easy counter assuming there's no Reinhardt

They just need to nerf his ult a bit and add a small delay on target acquisition on the turrets

I'd be fine with just the latter TBH

The counter to Molten Core is to just walk away for ten seconds. It can be a little obnoxious if Torb catches you out in the open, but that's your drat fault for being out in the open with a live level 2 turret. It is seriously the least impactful ultimate in the game unless Torbjorn himself has caught people out and starts gunning them down/flushing them out in front of his turret. Which 99% of Torbs don't to because they pop Molten Core while crouching behind their gun because they're losing a fixing/breaking fight with a Pharah/Junkrat/Symmetra/Hanzo/Widowmaker and all it winds up doing is burning time and killing bad Reapers/Winstons/D.vas who use their mobility tools to start an attack on a set-up turret and a Torb with an unknown amount of meter. .

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bolivar posted:

Being a front line Toblerobe is a lot of fun since the gun is fine, turret gives support fire and a lot of enemies seem to focus on other people or maybe they are just not used to aiming a bit lower. Molten core is the same with a sort of invincibility for a while, so I can just get in people's faces and spam buttons. If I die then I die, if the turret is up then it will probably do nice damage when I'm running from spawn :gary: I also love the concept of collecting scrap and making GBS threads armor around.

Yeah, while Torbjorn kinda has the Zenyatta problem while manfighting (great offensively, but kinda fragile and zero mobility) he still does way more damage with his rivet gun then most people expect, and I'm way more afraid of Torbjorn in Molten Core then his gun since he gets a pretty notable offensive boost on top of that massive pile of armor. It's a shame that most people try to play him like a TF2 Engineer and babysit their turret ceaselessly when Torb is much more effective setting up a turret in a choke where it can gum up the enemy team while they have to deal with it while Torbjorn himself goes and joins his team to collapse on the stalled enemy push.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What's a good amount of healing to opt for with Transcendence to make the most out of it? I remember healing 1700 with it once.

Transcendence works better as a tool to protect a push/counter-push then a life-saving tool, and in those instances I wouldn't worry so much about big sick heals then if your team can break the other team during the duration. Unlike a Lucio shield, trying to use Trans to save someone can backfire if they're really low and still in the danger zone and eat a rocket or something just after you pop it. Pop it earlier then you think you want to when using it defensively and don't worry about what that does to healing numbers.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Going back to this for a second, Bastion is about to receive an indirect buff when D.Va's defense matrix gets its overhaul. As one of the most complete ways to shut down his primary gimmick, going from four seconds of matrix uptime to two seconds is technically a Bastion buff as now D.Vas will no longer be able to stand in front of you for as long without being quickly destroyed if the rest of their team isn't right there to focus you down. I doubt this in and of itself will be enough to see Bastion's pickrates go up any significant amount but as far as these things go Bastion stands to benefit from the change.

This solves one problem but probably isn't gonna put Bastion back on the map. He needs a whole lot more then D.va going away to be good, and one of his OTHER biggest problems, Junkrat, is getting his first buff in forever.

He honestly probably just needs to move to switching between Tank and Recon forms with the tank form having a weaker version of the chaingun and damage reduction but is slow and has no self-healing, and make his ult Sentry mode with the damage reduction and rate of fire jacked up to 11. Basing a character around being completely immobile for more then very brief periods of time has got to be a nightmare to balance in a game with snipers, shields, AoE splash damage, and characters with absurd mobility. Bastion'll either have to be so strong in the face of all those that he'd be completely broken or he'd be where he is now, completely unplayable once you get past like Gold.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 3, 2017

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Maybe the real ELO hell is the friends who's Overwatch experience xtal ruined along the way.

I mean, these days I mostly play Arcade Classic 6v6 with a couple friends and one of their kids because I don't care enough about OW's ranked system with 7+ minute queue times despite being low Plat at best (and far, far worse then that these days, more then likely.) But, y'know, I do agree that ELO Hell exists as long as xtal is there to create and enhabit this prison of their own making.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Any tips for playing Rein on defense? I love pressing W with him but in defensive situations I feel like I can't figure out how to get to effective range with the enemy without winding up in a terrible position I can't easily escape from.

The sad truth is frequently on defense as Rein you're waiting for the engage and until then your most valuable trait is 2150 combined shield, health, and armor to place between them and who they'd like to get a pick on before attacking. If you're good enough at playing that wall, you'll eventually frustrate them into engaging, otherwise you kind of need your team to either force them to engage in other ways or to join you in a counter-engage because you, on your own, will get shot a lot and die trying to run into the enemy line and don't really have anything that says 'yeah, come at me' on your own besides just denying them opportunities by existing. You've got five other teammates, and you're gonna need their help to get into the attacking team if they're just refusing to enter your zone.

Sometimes the enemy is diving all the time and you get to swing away, and sometimes the enemy is trying to slow roll in with double shield or something and you just have to sigh and try to figure out when you can afford to put the barrier down long enough to let it recover or eat damage to help your supports build ult without just dying and otherwise just wait. I'd focus instead on playing that part of the game- get better at positioning and rationing your health and just be as miserable a bastard as possible so that they feel like they just HAVE to run at you because of it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, two unkillable tanks has been the problem that"s dictated how the OW meta was played ever since role queue was a thing (and it became a thing because 3-4 unkillable tanks was the problem before that) and reducing tanks to one tank solves a lot of problems with the tank role becoming unkillable walls that grind games to a haut because suddenly tank cooldowns matter again so maybe tanks might actually die to sustained offense in coordinated play. But if they do this they basically need to rework many of the tanks heavily because most tanks don't really function as the ONLY tank on the team. Hog, Zarya, and Ball would need to be entirely revamped and Winston and D.va would at least need significant changes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

Fixed that for you. I can't believe they've left the game as stale as it is.

Given the last two or three years of Blizzard? I sure can.

I mean, it's an awful idea. But the Blizzard that's handled Heroes of the Storm, the Battle for Azaroth patch cycle, and Warcraft 3 Reforged? Yeah, this is entirely in character.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

megane posted:

It's worth noting that their last game - i.e. not a remaster or whatever - was... Overwatch. Five and a half years ago.

To be fair, if better managed, a stable of Starcraft 2/Diablo 3/WoW/Overwatch/Hearthstone/HotS as an roster stable of games could have kept the company looking golden for a long time. Who would need to make new games when supporting those games would make them hand-over-fist money for years to come?

Turns out the only ones they got right on that list for any amount of time after 2016 were D3 and Overwatch. Both of which they dropped too early to focus on sequels that have since been trapped in Forever Hell while both have continued to run on maintenance mode for years now instead of enjoying any kind of meaningful active support to keep the hype going after the Necromancer/Echo.

I mean, I guess D2 Ressurected... happened. That was a thing. For people who didn't learn their lesson from Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Multiple tanks and tanks being as strong as they were was what lead to a lot of the problems with OW1- Damage constantly increased because tanks were too unkillable until the game turned into rocket tag between most non-tank characters, which lead to GOATs because tanks were the only characters who could stick to the field long enough for support healing to do work making them exponentially more powerful then any DPS, which then lead to Bunker once role queue was a thing because those were the tanks that could actually share their durability with the rest of the team.

Like, what OW1 needed was a 30% damage nerf and a 50% overall health reduction on health above the standard 200/250 as well as all barriers, but they balanced the game the other way in fear of making the tank role feel less special so they instead made it super-stressful because tank became the only role that actually mattered in the grand scheme of things- having bad DPS or Supports could make a game hard, but having bad tanks made games straight up unwinnable without a major skill gap between teams since without tanks the rest of the team just exploded on contact.

I'm not saying I have terribly high hopes for OW2- besides being a ABK game which is at this point basically a non-starter, I've got no faith the team has learned how to balance their game in the last six years, but taking a long, hard look at the tank role is at least a sign that they recognize the problem. Taking a swing at hard CC is another, though I think that's less of a role problem and more of a distribution problem- it was honestly much less of an issue in launch OW before they added a whole bunch more characters into the game with hard CC, especially on non-Ultimate buttons, making it far harder to have a six-stack that could all have hard CC buttons then it is now. I guess if they're keeping role counts, tying CC to roles limits how much you can have on the team, but a better solution would be to stop slapping it into almost every new kit- of the heroes added since launch, only Moira, Ashe, and Baptiste lack access to hard CC. Whereas less then half the launch roster had it in any form, and only Cassidy, Roadhog, and Mei had it without Ult charge.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Being able to contribute to damage in ways that are not damage is fun for some people. I will almost always pick a CC heavy class over a pure damage class because being able to stun/weaken/debuff enemies is super fun to me. (And healing is even more fun.) My thought process here is genuinely that most multiplayer shooters are not fun enough for me as *shooters* to justify playing them just for that and it is how I've felt for years. Tribes was my favorite shooter for ages and ages because I had a ton more fun rescuing people, destroying generators, repairing generators, and in general doing things to hinder and weaken enemies over getting a headshot.

By reducing CC down to what seems like nothing but boring-rear end slows it actively makes those classes less fun to play because while slows can be fun they lack the same impact as something that feels really good in terms of CC or support. And part of what I enjoyed in Overwatch was that it had those things and let me enjoy a segment of gameplay I don't get to feel in something like Halo. The constant chasing of the ESPORTS just keeps degrading everything interesting or unique about the game into just a below-average shooter.

I mean, it's not e-sports, it's Blizzard designing Overwatch into a pit where nobody was having fun. They built a game around making tanks special and it turns out a game where the most special class is the Tank is awful for everyone. You need tanks because DPS and Support explode on contact- one bit of Crowd Control and it takes no time at all to delete a non-tank. The problem is TANKS also hate it because tank play devolves into spending your time not playing the game because you're eating all the CC your teammates can't afford to and having to spend all your time playing nanny to four small children because they just can't get there without you. You want GOATs, because that's how you get GOATs.

They really, really need to trim back access to hard CC in OW2 because having too much access to it killed the gently caress out of OW1 and they started just shoving it in every kit for no loving reason. So places where it makes sense to get it out are losing it, and it's getting shifted out of the DPS role entirely so at worst 3/5 characters on the enemy team can have a hard CC button instead of 6/6 like right now. I still don't have faith OW2 is gonna get there, but this is absolutely the right change for the game going forward. If you want to play a hard CC class, it sounds like most tanks are keeping theirs as well as many supports, so you'll still have options.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I don’t think Mei is a criminal because she was a scientist in Overwatch and then in Cryo for 10 years? Her lore is pretty thin but I don’t think ‘escaping Antarctica’ is a crime.

I think Mercy is probably also in the clear?

Not at all clear to me that Bastion has the cognitive function to be considered culpable for their actions, may just be a rogue drone.

Is Overwatch in the clear to reform again? IIRC, the last solid word on it was no, but at lot of plot had happened since then and they have been requested directly for aid on at least one known occasion and they're recognized by the Korean government to the degree that they're lending them a member of their special forces in official capacity. If not though, several otherwise-clean characters (D.va, Pharah, Zarya, Mei, maybe Mercy?) who are part of the new Overwatch are committing at very least conspiracy to commit, vigilantism, and unlawful assembly.

If not them, I think the only characters who are completely clear of legal problems should someone decide to look into it are Zenyatta and, weirdly enough, Hammond/Wrecking Ball. Little dude's just kinda been rolling around the Australian Wasteland looking for adventure after a successful stint as a gladiator in Junkertown. It's probably only a matter of time, considering that what passes for 'legal' in Australia are probably war crimes in the rest of the world, but for now...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Daryl Surat posted:

In my experience, the reworked Orisa is nearly unkillable while also often outputting more damage than Bastion (who is frequently in games due to the new grenade jump mobility). It doesn't feel like there's any DPS in the game capable of damaging through her now 250 armor (which reduces damage) coupled with her Fortify (which grants something like 125 temporary health that you must completely deplete before she starts taking said armor damage) and her javelin spin that nullifies all projectiles...which is what every DPS attack aside from Symmetra's primary (and I guess Torbjorn's hammer) is now that Doomfist is a tank. Plus if she's getting healed through all that, Orisa now seems to just easily shrug off the big burst damage ultimates like Junkrat Riptire and D.Va Self-Destruct. If you hack Orisa with Sombra, the extra damage coming from just Sombra's gun isn't enough. A Zenyatta Discord orb feels like a must, but unless you're quite good at winning duels, the low mobility supports like Zenyatta seem to get farmed now.

Presumably, the idea is that you now MUST flank around, but that really only circumvents Orisa's javelin spin move. All the rest of her survivability buffs apply omnidirectionally. I suppose the fact that there's probably not much of a matchmaker in the beta and I'm pretty much hard-stuck in Silver since 2016 doesn't help either.

Orisa so far seems to be having the same problem Ball and Doom are having in OW2- she just doesn't have a good way to protect a team and that doesn't seem to be flying in a world of solo-tank. She's very strong as Fat DPS- she hits hard for her role and she's very hard to kill when focusing on HER, but the second she needs to interfere with the enemy team her only option is to try and kill them. And unlike Ball or Doom she doesn't even have a good engagement tool to get on someone with. A friend of mine called her Wheelchair Genji and that seems as accurate a description as any.

There currently seems be a pretty big divide between tanks, in that Winston/D.va/Roadhog/Sigma/Zarya seem to be able to do some solid work protecting allies and still performing some of the functions of a tank depending on the comp while Orisa/Doomfist/Ball are really struggling to not just kinda get ignored and winding up with all of their friends being dead around them as the enemy tanks and DPS (and even Support- beware Flankio, Ana, and Brig just deciding to support by just killing everything that moves) decend on the more vulnerable supports and DPS of your team.

And Rein... just seems very map and comp dependant at the moment- he looks weak right now as everyone is trying out stuff and nobody really knows what team comps should really look like but in the right spots still seems like he can do his thing escorting Squishies to big brawly fights- just not anywhere where he used to rely on off tank to provide pressure. He's also basically just not a character without Lucio right now, so maybe we'll see some changes to his charge in the future to make it a more versatile engagement tool.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So did any supports get a rework? Or am I just begging my dps for peel until I give up and play brig?

Support seems to be the least changed role- I think the only support with much significant change is Brig, but the game around them is completely different. Right now mobile supports and Brig seem strong due to being able to move about and protect themselves in this skirmish/dive early meta while Mercy and Zen seem to be too easy to pick off to run.

And then there's Ana. Ana is... weird. She lacks mobity and is frail and is in trouble if half the DPS in the game look at her funny. But she is also, bar none, the single most powerful hero in OW2's current state. Biotic means she can sentence the enemy tank to death. Her sniping kills most squishies before they ever get a good shot on her. Her single target healing is unmatched in both potency and distance. Nano is pretty much a Win Fight button if put on the right target unless enemy CC is available, of which she's one of the only non-tanks to possess. She is potentially a liability, but her raw strength as both a healer and as an offensive support means she is 100% worth warping your team around to protect and accommodate.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

imagine dungeons posted:

I'd argue that Moira is in a pretty good position and that the goal should be to get all of the supports into that realm. I pretty much only play Moira solo queue (when I get support) because I can avoid getting dunked on in the back line, against most characters she has a reasonable chance of winning a duel or at least prolonging it until she's out of danger, and her healing seems pretty decent.

Ana is good (even fantastic) when your team has a bit of situational awareness but gets dumpstered when you're left to hang.

Moria's good because she can take care of herself when everyone just walks around her unkillable but useless tank because right now the only tanks that are both mobile enough and have ways to actually do their job are Winston and D.va. Sigma gets a slight nod if his team is playing specifically AROUND him and have enough faith to not flee the moment the flanks roll in but really right now you're Ape or Mech or probably throwing. Even Orisa, who's basically a raid boss when you try to fight HER can basically just be ignored until all of her friends are dead and killed at leisure.

Ana is the most powerful character in the game's current state- even moreso then tanks- in that she single-handedly gets to choose who lives or dies in a fight basically by herself... except for herself. She's fragile as gently caress and right now with mobility and flanks everywhere life is terrifying, but if you get to live as Ana for any signifigant amount of time into a fight your team has probably won.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakara123 posted:

D.Va is good, if the other team doesn't know how to target people, or have high enough damage to warrant no shield. She will do well in lower tier comp matches and certain maps. but by no means is an S tier tank currently. The maps are mostly based around shields rather than terrain at the moment.

Shields barely matter once you get out of Brass ranks cause everyone just plays mobility heroes and goes around. The only Shield that matters is Sigma because he CAN block two ways at the same time with his Shield + Block and a ranged stun. D.va is probably the best tank in the game in the current state because she can cover a huge area with her matrix and can actually run down all these speedy DPS- in particular she's great against Soldier/Sojourn, who along with Sombra seem to be the DPS to beat currently.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

That's why I hate the movement speed increases for DPS. If I wanna play a twitch shooter I'll go play Cod or Apex. Most of the DPS didn't need it, the ones with mobility needs already had them and Jesus Christ does Echo really need to be harder to hit while making half the support cast sitting ducks?

To be fair, a lot of the DPS did need it. Think of how middling Cassidy, Mei, or Junkrat have been in the alpha because of their relative lack of ability to move around then think about how awful they would be if Orisa or Doomfist could just run at them with no difficulty. Pharah, Reaper, Ashe, Torbjorn, and especially Symmetra are all characters who I think feel much better with the movement speed buff then they historically have in OW1. Like, I get you might not like DPS heroes being good, but half or more of the DPS heroes being kinda awful compared to the tanks and supports was a huge problem with OW1 and lead to a huge number of the game's issues over it's life since DPS is ultimately the role of having to counter dominant strategies and usually they just couldn't do it..

The problem comes in the form of the already mobility-blessed. The movement speed change cracked the absolute hell out of Soldier 76 in particular as he can now just sprint laps around everyone else while finally getting his improved recoil to work shooting something besides shields and it turns out that when Soldier shoots something besides shields, people loving die.. Sombra and Tracer are also back to being just absolute problems for anyone with a squishy underside and without a bodyguard and with hard CC being in much lower supply any boost to Tracer is probably going to have some long term consequences. Echo's as irritating as ever, and Genji's... trying, but I think everyone in the DPS role being more mobile just kinda points out the flaws with designing him as an ult bot.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

headcase posted:

In general I think OW1 support is the most fun role, but I haven't played it in over a year because I'm trying to master tank. OW2 support sounds kind of miserable though. I think it will get better as people realize protecting supports wins matches. I do think support should have the advantage in duels too. Like you better be able to seriously outplay someone if you are on a solo flank.

They were called Brigette and Baptiste and everyone loving hated them and the metas they enforced for years at a time. Invalidating an entire class of characters by making them incapable of doing their job (shootmans) because other heroes provide a poo poo ton of team utility and STILL play better shootmans then they do is why OW1 had to create role queue to get people to a actually play more then the same seven heroes that invalidated DPS and even other tanks and supports and at first just created a newer, badder, faster-staling meta because 1/3 of your team was locked into the Bad Role.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakara123 posted:

show me where the brig smurf touched your SR

I was the Brig Smurf. I'm traditionally a support player. I played a poo poo-ton of her from release all the way to when I more or less stopped playing OW and had a blast making GBS threads on all the poor DPS who thought they had a Play of the Game coming. Everyone's carry until they get a shield to the face in our backline. But at the same time it was terrible for the game as a whole and I can freely admit that. DPS being bad as a role because support often did it better was not healthy for OW1 in the slightest.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Imagine the shitstorm that ensues if the Microsoft purchase goes through and the new overlords decide to can OV2(either entirely or to start from scratch)

At this point would anyone care?

I mean, fucks given about the beta fell off in less then 48 hours.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
If OW2 has any life left, PvE will absolutely find it. You don't have to look much farther then fighting games to see how important single player/players vs environment is to actually winning an audience.

Mortal Kombat/Netherrealm Fighters are frequently talked about in most outside FG communities as somewhere between a joke and a curiosity. Their mechanics are usually seen as janky and broken, their non-cinematic animation is comedically terrible, and... they have also outsold every other fighting game franchise besides Smash Brothers by leagues because they are literally the only fighting game creator putting any effort anymore into single player content. The gulf between MK 10/MK 11/Injustice 2 and the next-closest best selling fighting game of the generation (Tekken 7) is almost double. People absolutely care about PvE content even in traditionally PvP genres.

PvE in OW2 gonna lose some of that draw unless there's a really workable AI system because some of that comes from folks who just don't want to multiplayer at all, but there are many, many people who want to play games but don't want to play games against other people for whatever reason, even if they gotta play WITH others, especially if those can be with friends. If ActiBlizz wants to try and woo people back- or even to capture players who were interested in everything the actual game before- they absolutely need to hit a home run on their PvE modes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

megane posted:

She’s not “good if the other tank fucks up,” she’s barely passable if the enemy tank actively tries to die to her. For this dream scenario to occur, the tank has to a) be completely alone, b) walk into multiple turrets, c) be so befuddled by the tickle beams that he lets Symmetra walk up to him and zap his shield for 2.7 seconds to charge up, all while d) just kindly deciding to not swing his hammer, because even at level 3 against a completely stationary Rein, Sym’s beam takes longer to kill Rein than Rein’s hammer takes to kill Sym. And that’s not even considering Fire Strike or Charge.

If a tank is allowed to run in and play in their preferred range, they should kill just about any DPS. 'cause they can tank it. Like, without a massive melee advantage like Reaper's raw damage and life steal, McCree's Flashbang and Fan, or Mei's freeze Rein SHOULD be winning in melee range (and two of those are gone in OW2.)

Sides, it wasn't Sym 1v1ing Rein that made her a Rein soft-counter. It was Sym moving behind her tank burning through Rein's shield in record time, forcing him to make a bad decision and either tank it until break and probably die to everyone shooting him, drop shield and swing and probably die to everyone shooting him, or hope everyone retreated behind the other tank then drop shield and try to run behind the other tank and probably die to everyone shooting him. And that was a VERY soft counter because you had to, y'know, be able to escort Sym to the Rein's shield with your own defense intact, which was very map and team-dependant.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. The problem is mostly that most of the devs who've played in that space have made some big mistakes or have gotten otherwise overshadowed at first by TF2, then later by Overwatch. Probably the closest thing I can think of to a real contender was Monday Night Combat, which was lightning in a bottle that quickly picked up a lot of hype that was failed to be recaptured by Super Monday NIght Combat which made... a lot of mistakes. Hit basic every F2P pratfall on the way down and might have single-handedly killed the genre for years with how loud the crash it's fall from grace was.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
In the beginning it was OW2 because it was adding a weighty PvE campaign and intended to sell itself as a retail sequel for the PvE modes while just being OW1+ for the PvP, to the point where OW1 and OW2 were originally planned to share competitive matchmaking.

Then both ABK and Overwatch spent the last three years at the head of an absolute shitshow- falling way behind on development as they've struggled to keep up with their output across all the ongoing Blizzard titles (which is why they've gone radar silent on PvE since it's likely way behind schedule), the game state of OW1 going into nightmare mode for like two years as the meta just turned into some of the most hated the game had ever seen (Which is why OW2 is making massive changes to PvP from OW1 now), the OWL becoming an openly-discussed joke that's on very obvious life support to make it to OW2's release (likewise), and of course all the bad poo poo that went down on the company side of things (which is why they're desperate to get their foot in the door and just give OW2 away for free since apparently ABK's game sales have been very visibly damaged by all this asshattery- see the latest Call of Duty and D2R both underperforming heavily compared to expectations)

They want OW2 out NOW while people still care, in as many hands as possible to try and bribe some goodwill back from the gaming public by releasing a high-profile game everyone is playing, and have seemingly changed everything from their initially-discussed plans to make it happen at this point. If I had to guess, OW2 is on a THIS YEAR OR BUST schedule, but it's shedding a lot of weight to make it happen.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 13, 2022

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I've seen a lot of Strong Gamers say that Junker Queen feels good but her shout ability specifically is busted. This seems to be because if it's ability to shield teammates but that seems weird to me because like, that's what tanks do, yeah? Like I'll see a clip where a Queen's health buff is what makes the difference with a healer surviving and the Queen player will be like "see? That's dumb, I shouldn't be able to do that" but no one is like "wow my Winston bubble, an effective 700 health barrier which requires no more aim than Shout, just kept my teammate who was getting shot at alive, and that's bad and unhealthy for the game".

I have no hands on experience with this beta round - and even if I did it wouldn't be a top 500 level like these people are - so I feel like I'm just missing something obvious.

The difference is that Winston's shield affects a visible area that can't be moved once placed, can be circumvented by moving inside it, and otherwise gives you a warning to maybe back off, this fight's not gonna be clean.

The better comparison is Brig's Rally- a support ULTIMATE, mind. Junker Queen hits a button and everyone around her sprouts 100 additional HP instantly (Rally at least is a Regen) and becomes even more mobile and all you get is an audio bark. That would be insane on a support- it's the enhanced version of BOTH Lucio modes at once- and it's on a TANK.

Of course, by most other metrics JQ's dumpster tier that's providing almost nothing a tank needs to provide the rest of her team with her weird DoT gimmick and Roadhog-lite kit and Shout's the only thing giving her legs, but that doesn't make Commanding Shout good, it makes JQ the worst designed new character to OW since launch Brig.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DoctorJones posted:

overwatch league is still a thing?

Depends. Does it exist? Yes.

Is it a thing? Lolno.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

this will always amaze me. OW's characters are insanely popular and the best they could do with a story in six whole years is "overwatch is potentially reuniting? Watch this space!!!"

Lord Packinham posted:

There is an alternate timeline where we could be watching an Overwatch cartoon with Arcane production values because they didn’t dumpster their most popular IP in years. Man, blizzard’s brain got so broken by DotA they will blow everything up chasing e-sports.

To be fair, they've told a fair chunk of story but it's almost all backstory. They've done a bunch in-game but I don't think they ever actually set an event in the modern day, and the main plot has only really been nudged forward by the comic. And I do mean nudged- outside some of the stuff around Doomfist's release that really just consolidated Talon into becoming a more visible and active threat then it was historically, all we've gotten is character beats and fluff pieces that sometimes find a way to advance a character's personality (Torb, Zarya) without actually budging the plot at all.

As for other medium, Blizzard has historically eaten poo poo multiple times trying to turn Warcraft into a multimedia entity and understandably are probably very gunshy about trying again. Activision might have tried at one point if it didn't utterly gently caress up it's own attempt to try to do something with Call of Duty instead but are likely too embittered by their golden goose's Hollywood turn dying in the womb to want to try with their toadie underling's IP instead.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I think I know the answer but I've been completely checked out of this trash fire for months: have they even bothered throwing a scrap of info to the people who wanted a PVE mode or is that still kinda being stealthily drowned in the bathtub

It's known to still be coming but the PvP is being booted out the door for any number of reasons- to stop the bleeding of the playerbase for killing updates to OW1 way too early, to give some positive press to the ActiBlizz PR Trashfire of the last two years and get people excited for Blizzard again before Diablo 4 come out, to try and help provide some display of Blizzard's value as a brand with the pending sale to Microsoft sometime early next year.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Valentin posted:

maybe I am just mixing up fan desires with dev comments (also stopped playing before sigma even came out), but I feel like OW1 was perpetually moving away from hard counters and yet nothing really changed in that respect? it's hard to not have specific counters when e.g. reaper is just always going to be the guy with two shotguns, with all that implies for his range and damage output.

Nothing changed because the only times Hard Counters ever mattered were the few times Pharah or 'Hog were meta. Otherwise, every team ran six of the same nine or ten meta heroes and generally trying to play Hard Counter against a single hero got you steamrolled by a meta comp instead.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Valentin posted:

I'm not a particularly good player but I would guess that the fact pharah and roadhog were only meta a "few times" was because they're two of the heroes who are most directly and straightforwardly countered, since they have significant vulnerabilities easily exploited by a single player counterpicking (cowboy or really any hitscan at range for pharah, ana for hog) that are difficult to cover via team comp alone

Yeah, that's the point. Unless the counter is so blatant that you can a basically run a hero-down to make them play even more of a hero down, switching to hard counters wasn't that major in high level play. OW1 had heroes like Winston and Zenyatta who've been at worst fringe meta for a majority of the life of the game, and yet nobody was ever picking Reaper or Doomfist to deal with them unless it was part of the windows where those heroes were naturally very strong, despite Reaper-Winston and Doomfist-Zenyatta being two of the most lopsided matchups that isn't Sniper-Pharah or Ana-Hog. Not even because the heroes were bad, either (well, ok, Doomfist was pretty bad for a decent while) but because they just didn't fit with the comps seeing play. If you could make a minor shuffle without breaking up what made the team build, sure, you could probably shuffle a Brig in for a Moira in order to deal with a Genji who was actually starting to pop off a bit, but you weren't breaking out the pocket Bastion or Soldier 76 to deal with the dual Fatass metas of GOATs and Bunker because even if they beat individual heroes in those teams, what comp that actually saw play had anything for a Bastion or Soldier to do (outside Pirate Ship for Bastion)? It was far more important in OW1 to be playing a useful comp build with a soft counter maybe replacing one of the pieces then playing hard counters that don't necessarily function within the team otherwise.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, I mostly quit playing OW1 outside of arcade when they introduced role queue despite playing a frequently in-demand role as my main (Support) because my queue times went from like a minute in a half to nearly five on average despite being low plat at best and probably far worse at that point. I can understand queue times in something like League of Legends or DOTA or something where even an utter rout is some twenty minutes of time but I've had queue times longer then matches in OW1's Ranked and that really put me off the game. It does not seem like OW2 has addressed this problem in the slightest, and with how they're balancing tanks it's going to be hard to imagine arcade mode looking the way it does now.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, I really like playing Overwatch.

I just don't like waiting to play Overwatch.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That cleanse ability is straight up a counter for 2/3 of Ana's kit

That might be part of the point- Ana was HaHa Fuckoff strong in both betas, a large part of which that you basically won any fight you got a AntiNade + Ult off and lived virtually any amount of time after.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Minera posted:

lol

gundam evolution isn't a Good game, but it's fairly fun, and to me it's certifiable proof that leaning into healers and tanks was the ultimate death knell for this game. 2/2/2 was an absolute mistake, 1/3/2 would have been far superior, but at this point probably the only thing that could genuinely make the game fun and wildly popular at the expense of the 500 people who still love it, would be to just neuter in combat healing massively and then buff all the supports in post.

They spotted the mistake fairly early once Brig showed up and started bopping Tracers and Genjis in the face- that once Dive stopped being viable fights were going on far too long where nobody was dying and it took nothing less then a fight-ending ultimate to close out an encounter between teams- but they made the wrong call how to fix it. They started upping the damage across the board instead of cutting tank durability and healing values, afraid of making tanks and supports feel less 'special' and instead wound up creating a game where the DPS role is pointless because a) Everybody dealt a ton of damage so being the role good at it didn't matter, and b) Most DPS didn't have the durability to actually let supports do their job in the new high-damage environment anyways so they could never survive to deal their higher damage anyways, and then instead of walking it back they had to create role queue in order to force DPS back into the game at higher ranks because despite everything it was still the most popular role casually, creating a disconnect where your average Quick Play game was like four DPS with maybe a tank and a support while if said player clicked to watch the OWL from the B.net launcher the games they'd see consisted almost entirely of the same 3-4 Tanks and 2-3 Supports mashing into each other with maybe a specialist sneaking in a Sombra or a Mei every so often.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Part of this is just the massive media backlash against former darlings Blizzard as a whole which is... well, fair as hell, you don't gotta give it to 'em. There's a whole lot of media press still salty that one of the last real bastions of the old school of game design turned out to be lead by a bunch of horrible asshats who put their staff through genuine nightmares. But I think a lot of it is just Blizzard never being terribly clear what OW2 was going to be at launch until just recently, and it turns out OW2 is much less then what everyone thought it would be. And becomes less with every new announcement. Hindsight is showing that at this point they probably should have put some of the resources into keeping OW1 chugging along to keep some goodwill for the original game flowing while taking the time to make OW2 everything they said it would be, but the corporate overlords were never going to let that happen, especially as Blizzard hasn't had a major new mainstream release that isn't a remaster or WoW expansion since 2016 and is probably starting to look like a pariah within ABK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DrBox posted:

I would say with hindsight they should have never gone with the idea of a sequel to the multilayer but otherwise totally agree. They should have kept pushing out at least small content updates until they had a substantial thing to release for OW2 including the PvE stuff. I hope some day a retrospective comes out explaining how that got so bogged down in development hell. Seems like internally there was a real conflict for what direction the game should go in and that led to just nothing happening

Eh, I think if there was enough substance to make a sequel, a sequel is warranted. We had four years of free updates, if OW2 was actually a complete game and not a mod pack for OW1, sure, make it a numbered entry. But they're not, now that they're mostly changing the existing game, forcing everyone to move forward by basically overriding OW1 so people can't ignore it if they wanted to, and instead of it being the complete experience OW1 was at launch it's basically adding every bit of freemuim trash garbage under the sun.

Like, OW is probably moving from something I played Arcade in to mess around with friends and dodge the insufferable queue times that still got me too many bad games to consider an improvement over the old way to something I just stop playing. Oh well.