Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Minrad posted:

Anubis Point B is probably the best designed control point in the game

agree/disagree?

the left wall removal did so much for it

All my most intense "holy poo poo I can't believe we captured that/defended it" have always been anubis b

Probably, yeah. Anubis is a very good map.

Conversely, gently caress Hanamura. That map is so incredibly biased towards the defending team, on both points. On A the entire team has to go through one single choke point within sight of the point, and on B the point is so open its impossible to get to it without the entire defending team being able to see you coming.

Point A really badly needs the side alleys on both the right and left to connect to the buildings on the other side of the big door, and I don't even know what you'd have to do to make point B less unforgiving. It isn't completely insurmountable but it's really rough.

I really enjoy every other map in the game but I am never happy to see Hanamura start loading up, it's always a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JollyPubJerk posted:

is there hidden mmr in this poo poo?

It is only hidden in the sense you can't look up your MMR value. They have been very clear that the game does have MMR and it is based on a variety of factors - wins, losses, upvotes on games, downvotes on games, and who you've blocked. The matchmaking is designed to try to gear you towards a 50% win/loss rate, so if you start winning tons you'll get matched against better players, and if you keep losing you start getting matched against worse players.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Zen orbs having the 3 second leash was an absolutely required change and a total godsend when it happened. Being able to retreat to peel off a Discord orb that hits you is good, and stopping flankers from having permanent health regen is good. The problem is how he is still made of tissue paper even though he now needs to be in the thick of things. A small health boost or any kind of escape tool would do wonders for his usefulness.

My favorite goofy suggestion I've seen was to give Zenyatta a zen levitation ability. Hold space bar to lock in at your current elevation, letting him float through the sky at any height as long as he gets up there the hard way. The Princess Peach hover, basically.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Luchadork posted:

I'm sad that people are finally starting to realize how amazing Zarya is because that means I now have to be extra-quick to pick her before someone else does.

But two Zaryas are even better than one Zarya!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Magic Underwear posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to see a small mercy ult nerf? She is already the best healer, does she need the most impactful ult in the game as well? I know the answer is "focus the mercy" but I play solo so that is not a reliable strategy (plus a good mercy is slippery as hell). It is so demoralizing to spend a lot of resources killing 1000+ hp worth of hero and see them instantly return at full health with a few seconds of invincibility, all cooldowns up, and all right next to each other to best coordinate ults.

How about rez two people instantly and then 1 or 2 per second of channeling, to give it some counterplay? How about cooldowns come back as they were when you died? I dunno, it just feels like too much of an impact for a (fairly fast-charging) ult to turn a team wipe into a reverse team wipe, with no way to counter it once the button is pressed.

The res definitely does not give cooldowns back! I have died a lot after getting rezzed as Zarya to find my personal shield is still 4 seconds away from cooldown again.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NTRabbit posted:

I hardly ever play Winston because it's almost impossible to consistently hit things with his gun. How much damage is it supposed to do? Is it supposed to be able to beat a solo lvl 2 torb turret in a dps race?

Winston's tesla cannon deals 60 damage per second in a cone directly in front of him, hitting every target in that cone for the same 60 DPS all at once. The damage ticks 10 times a second for 6 damage each, and it deals half damage (3 per tick) to armored targets. These are simple facts about how the gun works. EDIT: Oh, also, his tesla gun completely ignores shields, Genji's reflect, and D.Va's Defense Matrix. Only two things in the entire game will stop your cone from hurting somebody - Zarya's bubbles and Mei's ice wall/ice block.

Lvl2 Torb turrets have 200 HP and also deal 60 DPS, in 4 hits of 15 damage per second. Winston will beat one in a fight if there are no outside influences, and take the same 200 damage he is dealing to do it. If you attack from full HP, your armor will mean you only take about 150 damage to kill the turret.

However, things like Molten Core or Torbjorn's Shotgun Shooting Your Face or Torbjorn's Allies Protecting The Turret mean Winston will usually lose if you just jump onto a lvl2 turret without any backup or distractions. Winston's shield bubble can mitigate a lot of that by making it so only the turret can hit you while you're killing it, which will make you win that fight in any scenario except Molten Core, but don't expect to survive much more than that.

Basically, Winston is not ideal for taking out Torbjorn turrets but he can if he has to.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 20, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zoness posted:

300 hp

I've started playing torb in a fashion where my turret is placed as detection/harassment (often left as level 1 unless I have setup time) rather than a primary source of damage so having a team commit a winston to deal with it seems win-win as torbjorn.

Ah, whoops, then my math is off. The turret still deals as much as you do, so Winston will take 300/250ish of his HP to kill one, which out of your 500 HP is not a good trade.

Don't jump on Torb turrets as Winston.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Macaluso posted:

I really wish I could join a friend's group if they're solo instead of only having the option to invite them so that I don't have to take them out of a game in progress to form a group. Why is that not an option

Yeah, it's very weird. Like if they're already in a group you can request an invite to the group and just get joined into their game that way, but if they're solo you're just out of luck. If I could just request invite to join their group even when they are solo, it'd fix the whole problem.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Incoherence posted:

Trap/mine combos mean that you don't have the mine available to airburst in people's faces, which I do constantly, or to blow Reinhardt away from his team. The trap alone is enough to set up a couple left-click hits.

I mean if you get a better opportunity after setting up the combo, you can still use your conc mine anyway. It doesn't take that option away from you. I find half the time I set up the trap combo I have to use the mine before I get to use the combo and that's okay - its completely worth setting up anyway for the time you catch that Tracer or whoever flanking on the side before anyone comes in the front gates.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

yook posted:

D.va's ult ought to feel extra powerful since she also sacrifices her mech to do it. It's maybe a little too binary in that regard since you instantly get a new one if it hits but nada if it whiffs.

You actually always get the pilot D.Va ult fully charged as soon as the mech nuke explodes. The only situation where using your mech ult won't give you the baby DVa ult is if your mech doesn't explode - ie, you launched it off a cliff or it got pushed into one by a Roadhog hook or Reinhardt charge.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I can sort of see the argument for Symmetra being a Support waaay back when she was put in the game, when the only other Supports were Zenyatta and Mercy, and her shields gave 50 extra HP instead of 25, and maps only had one spawn point for Attack and one spawn point for Defense so that teleporter was dang crucial for getting your team to keep on the pressure on both Attack and Defense.

Now that spawn points move up as Attack captures points, her teleporter is crucial on Defense but not very useful on Attack, where Lucio's speed boost is clearly better. Now that we have two more Supports who both heal and she does not, she is left feeling even more weirdly classed than before. Where she is now, she is just a Defense hero - pretty good when you're on Defense, can work on Offense sometimes, but is definitely not a Support.

I really hope they re-classify her at some point because it'd make the NO SUPPORTS message actually work properly. Now that we have four of them, it's way less of a choice problem than it used to be.

Also, like others have said, the No Snipers/No Builders tags feel so worthless. They don't help your Defense any more than any other Defense hero will, especially since everyone with those tags is already a Defense hero (except I guess Ana now). I'd rather have you stay on Junkrat than switch to Hanzo because there's a No Snipers tag flashing, buddy. I've seen that happen more than once and it makes me sad every time.

Or if they do keep those tags, they should count Bastion as both a Sniper and a Builder, because his lack of damage falloff makes him basically function exactly the same as Builder/Sniper zoning tools are supposed to anyway.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Regalingualius posted:

I forget: when (if ever) does Zarya's beam outdamage her grenades?

Always. The beam deals almost double the DPS of the grenade at every charge level. The problem is, tracking with it can be rough sometimes, especially at lower charge when the beam has fairly short range and a narrow hitbox, while the grenades are always the same arc and explosion radius. Also, by virtue of being explosions, the grenades are easier for hitting enemies with and poking from behind cover, and are especially useful for Tracer and Genji, who are very annoying to fight as Zarya. These are the reasons that the grenade is better at low charge, not the damage difference. If you're fighting another tank solo, always use the beam, it'll kill them significantly faster than the grenades will.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NoDamage posted:

Wait, the beam's hitbox grows with the charge level?

Yes. Both its maximum range and width increase with higher charge levels. It never hits more than one thing at a time, there's no piercing or glancing damage with it, but it becomes easier to track with as it charges just by virtue of the larger hitbox.

I had known about the hitbox width change forever because its visually obvious while using it, but the increase in range was something I didn't know until relatively recently. If you find you never have any idea if something is in range of your beam or not, well, that's why. It's especially disorienting as Pharah, who doesn't need to care about Zarya at all when she's at low charge, but at high charge Zarya can suddenly hit you easily for massive damage right out of the sky.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, people advised me to kill the turrets as Zarya with the grenades instead of using the beam, and this turned out to be 100% correct. What am I supposed to do as Zenyatta, though, if I don't have time and safety to play charging peek-a-boo?

Left click at the turret while literally any team mate is in front of you with a Harmony orb on. Zen will kill a level 2 turret in like 4 seconds. While that's enough time for the turret to also kill/almost kill Zenyatta by itself, an ally with a Harmony orb is almost immune to turret damage, they roughly cancel each other out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Star posted:

I thought Blizzard had said that they didn't want to add a stealth character?

They said the original roster didn't have anyone with invisibility because they found invisibility hard to balance and annoying to play against. They did not rule out other possible stealth mechanics, and its possible in the year-ish since the original roster, they've come up with a way to handle invisibility that they like better. But Sombra is probably stealthy in some way, and I expect we'll see how sometime soon.

My best guess is they aren't going to give invisibility to an Attack role character, because that's where it's super annoying and where invisibility always seems to go in these sorts of games. A Support who uses invisibility as an escape mechanic, or a Tank who uses invisibility to distract the enemy by getting to really annoying places, or a Defense who uses invisibility to zone an area safely all sound like way more fun + interesting ways to handle it, than having an Attacker who cloaks behind you then does massive damage and kills you.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Macaluso posted:

Blizzard please, it's not too late to avoid putting in a stealth class. I know you made the mistake of putting in snipers 3 times somehow but don't make the same mistake a fourth time with a stealth class :negative:

Hey, at least they got it right on their third go, Ana rules.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

lovely Wizard posted:

How much does a full self-heal add to roadhogs ultimate anyway? I don't have test installed, and want to know if I can consider the -40% ult charge speed but self-heals now charge ults change to be a buff, a nerf, or pretty much the same.

If you drink it all in and get the full 300 healing, it gets you 20% ult. It's definitely a buff to Roadhog.

It's hard to say its too big a buff, though, because suddenly Discord orb will be way more common and Ana's grenades shut down Roadhog hard, so its a buff he probably needed going into this next meta shift.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Verranicus posted:

So my buddies just got the game and I wanna play with them, but I'm level 80 and whenever we've grouped it's put us in a match catering to my level and they get rolled. I'm watching them play a ame now and it's all pre-10s except for two 80+ people on the -enemy- team.. how do I get into games like this with them where they're mostly facing people their own skill level?

Are you leading the group? I am pretty sure it matches based on the group leader more than any other factor.

Of course, when you group up, you also get faced up against groups, so that might also be part of it.

If quickplay ends up untenable, though, you can always play Vs. AI until your friends get the basics down. This is what it is there for.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

redweird posted:

I think if you sleep someone, then hipfire+grenade+melee that is enough to kill a 200 health class.

80+100+30. I'm not sure though as right now i have to be at stupid work for the rest of the stupid day

The grenade only does 60 damage to enemies. However, left click + grenade on a sleeping enemy can come out fast enough to deal 140 damage they cannot react to, and a second shot is enough to kill 200 HP characters, which is over half the cast.

So if you sleep someone who got on top of you (tracer, genji, etc), that's probably the thing to do. Unless they are a Winston or a Roadhog or something. Then you should just run away and leave 'em to nap.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 20, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Proposition Joe posted:

I also don't see how they get "less" chances to patch consoles. The patches launch at different times due to Sony and Microsoft reviewing them, but I don't see any evidence that there are currently held policies that games have a limited amount of patches like the rumors about Xbox TF2 back in the 2000s and I sincerely doubt that Blizzard would be copy pasting PC patches like the Widomaker nerf or the Soldier 76 spray delay if they had a limited amount of console nerfs that they had to consider carefully.

Patching a console game costs a little money and a lot of time. Each time you send a patch to Sony or Microsoft, you also need to send them a payment to process the patch, and then that process takes 3-5 days at best, up to 2 weeks at worst. So, you need to make sure the build you're sending them is something good to go live for a long time, because the red tape to get patches onto consoles is not insignificant. They'll make some small exceptions for small hotfixes but actual changes require this process every time.

So, PC gets all the experimental builds and the incremental patching because that's a better user experience, but consoles only get a patch when the patch is meaningful in some way, usually when all the incremental patches build up enough into something big enough to be worth the effort of doing a console patch.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jastiger posted:

Its not just about that one time, I mean in general. As someone else said, she can now negate a ton of damage just by taping the right mouse button. I think her changes are awesome and were long over due, I just think it should have some bit of diminishing returns. instead of consistently being able to block all incoming damage from the front.

If I shot it right at her face, well yeah, thats on me. She wasn't even in the picture, wasn't in position to block it, so she came up behind me and it blocked it all, as if it was plucking the bullets out of mah gun! The player playing it was surprised it worked, they just had it up in case I spun around.

If she was able to sneak up behind you and use the matrix without you even noticing, then sorry, she WAS in position to block it. It's not her fault or your fault you didn't know exactly how the cone eats bullets until after it ate all your bullets and got you killed. But now you know for next time.

If the cone didn't work how it currently does, it couldn't stop Reaper's ultimate, and that's one of the ults the Defense Matrix was basically made to eat.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

OtspIII posted:

What's the damage on Roadhog's alt fire? I swear to god I've been one-shotted by it with 200HP characters before. (Although, who knows--I may have just read what happened wrong.)

Roadhog's right click is exactly the same as his left click, in damage values + bullet spread. It just explodes into the shotgun blast 10 meters ahead of him. If you hit someone with the whole packet before it explodes, its something piddly like 40 damage, but post-explosion the flak shot is just as dangerous as the normal shot.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ularg posted:

Yay, I finished my placement matches!

What do I have to do to get the season rewards now?

Nothin', just wait. The only requirement for getting season rewards is to finish your placement matches. Higher ranks also gets you better rewards, but specifics on that are completely unknown right now, since we haven't had a finished Competitive season yet.

We know you will get a spray, an achievement, and some unknown amount of Competitive Points, with higher rank getting more points, at the end of the season. Whether or not there are additional prizes at certain very high ranks is unknown.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

mcbexx posted:

This has probably - or most likely - been discussed already, but who are these guys?

I think the person is named HAWK or Visor or something, we don't really know anything about them except they're on some movie posters with the robot buddy. Chances are pretty good they're a mech pilot like D.Va is but we really don't know anything. One of the movie posters they're on is labeled SUPER MACHINE 2, but that might be a different character too because the visor there is different.

So for the moment, they're just someone in the background of the world with a big name, but we don't even know their name so they're nothing right now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Commoners posted:

The big gamble is that if you fail, you have just created a monster and are likely dead. Reaper is one of the more dependable characters for boring through her shield and killing her, but I wouldn't recommend it on most others.

Yeah. If you aren't Reaper, turret Bastion, an ulting Genji or Pharah, or 3+ people surrounding her together, burning down Zarya's shield is a losing gamble. But if you are one of those things, just shoot it down, you should be able to kill her as soon as it goes.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
For the health of the game, the best way to nerf Genji would be to buff Mei and Winston.

And maybe make his reflect hitbox not reflect things that hit him in the back, that's pretty dumb.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Golem II posted:

Every fps I've played you are rewarded for playing good and you don't have to play with people. That's the way I've always played. This game fucks you over constantly with people who can't play. It's dumb and people say there isn't a mmr, when there is.

There is MMR, but it is visible in competitive. That's what your rank number is. It is your competitive MMR.

It tries to match you against other players with similar MMRs and other teams with similar average MMRs to your team's average, with a slight weight towards matching groups of players up with other groups of similar size.

There is no forced 50% winrate in Competitive Mode Overwatch. The game tries to put you against players of similar rank, which should be of similar skill. If you are better than them, you will climb the ranks until you get to a point where they're roughly equal to you. If you are worse than them, you will lose a bunch until you get to opponents you can beat. That's how the ranked system works.

The "forced 50% winrate" idea came about because Quickplay also uses MMR, but its MMR is hidden. But it works exactly the same way - it places you against roughly equal teams and if you keep beating them, it places you against progressively better rated players until you stop beating them every time. When you lose a bunch, it tries to match you with lower rated players, as it tries to figure out your rough skill level. That's how this game's matchmaking system works.

If you are stuck in the 30s, it is because you are not very good, and you should probably try pushing the cart more and playing the objectives. Consider also playing Tank, so you can survive doing these things, or a healer, so the rest of your team can survive doing these things.

Hope that helps.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's also useful as a finishing blow if they're just really low on health and you're a high precision character like Ana or McCree. The hitbox on melee swings is huge, its like a giant bubble in front of you, so if someone is juking all your shots you might be better off just punching 'em.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rick posted:

So am I doing something wrong or is still dying after hitting Lucio's ult from Junkrat or D.va the way it's supposed to work?

Lucio's ult gives you 500 HP that drain away at 100 HP per second.

The Junk-tire deals 400 damage. If at least 3 seconds have passed since you dropped the beat, your Lucio burst will not save you from it.

The D.Va self destruct deals 1000 damage. If you are not a full HP Roadhog with either Nano-boost or a perfectly timed Lucio ult, you will die if you are hit by this.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Remove the Scrap mechanic entirely and put armor packs on a 10 second cooldown.

Make the Lvl 1 hit slightly harder but the lvl 2 hit slightly weaker to encourage a more mobile Torb. Lvl 3's output is probably fine.

But these wouldn't make him better, they'd just make him a little less annoying to play as. He doesn't need to be better, because

Ahhpple posted:

he's the kind of character that should remain bad forever

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
And D.Va gets to all the same places Pharah or Reaper can, but faster.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I would never want Ana's darts to pierce everything forever, because that would do absolutely silly things to her healing output while also improving her damage potential a ton. But it'd be really nice if her shots pierced/ignored allies at full HP. So if the dart hits a full HP ally, it just keeps going as if they weren't there. If they have even a single point of damage, the ally is where the dart stops.

It'd make shooting/healing from behind your tank so much less frustrating. Dangit Roadhog take ONE step left so I can heal everyone else :argh:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ciaphas posted:

It also makes you glow like crazy now apparently, you become a great big "SHOOT THIS GUY YOU ASSHOLES" beacon

No that's just Zarya as her energy builds, that is not a thing everyone gets.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If Widow gets any buffs it can't be to her rifle or her ult, as they're both really good already. Maybe making her poison mine actually do something other than like, 40 damage, like a slow or nausea effect. Or reducing the cooldown on her grapple hook by a second or two. But any damage buff to her sniping and she goes right back to the terribly annoying state she was in at launch.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I hope they at least let us spend coins on Halloween crates, if they stick to the skins being crates-only.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kai Tave posted:

First 75, then 50, then 25. It was also back in the day when Zen's orbs persisted without LoS restrictions so what actually happened is you'd toss Symmetra shields and Zen orbs on Tracers and Genjis and then hide in a corner somewhere while your health-boosted self-healing flankers did all the work.

This was also back when Genji did like 50% more damage than he does now, he was a nightmare in this comp. And the Zenyatta wouldn't entirely sit in a corner - someone had to sit on the point, and if anyone got close, stick a discord orb on the other teams' Genji. This was also when discord orb lasted until death, either Zenyatta's or his target's, so putting it on someone basically took them out of the game entirely.

It was a dark time in the comp meta.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Brannock posted:

Who's the black woman (?) who's placed near Reinhardt and Torbjörn but not connected to them?

She is the one founder of Overwatch we haven't met yet, Liao. There is basically zero info on her except she's in the group that founded Overwatch, so she'll probably matter eventually. We've seen her before in a couple of group shots with Reyes and Ana and Morrison when they were all young.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, Sombra's going to change the tank meta. The two Best Tanks (Rein and Zarya) are super vulnerable to being hacked and don't have great tools for dealing with her mobility or invisibility. D.Va and Winston, on the other hand, both have mobility to catch her with and keep up with her, they have weapons that cover a large area of effect so they're good for finding invisible Sombras, and they both have escape tools to avoid being hacked.

Roadhog isn't particularly good against her but with how his cooldowns work also probably won't notice being hacked much, unless he really needed to ult or heal in the next 6 seconds. Her gun shreds him but she's as vulnerable to instant death via hook as any other non-Reaper Offense hero. He comes out kinda neutral.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hughmoris posted:

Was there any mention of the upcoming Symmetra rework at Blizzcon?

It'll be out by the end of the year, but not with the Sombra PTR release.

Kai Tave posted:

People have been saying Sombra counters Zarya but Zarya's bubble still interrupts her normal hacking attempt, so I dunno about that. As far as dealing with invisibility goes, Zarya's got a weapon that either tosses out splash damage bombs or gives her a continual damage beam, both of which seem useful for poking a Sombra attempting to cloak and disrupting it (plus remember damage interrupts hacking as well). The translocator remains her ace in the hole but forcing Sombra to port out isn't a terrible result. Now her ult absolutely shuts Zarya down for a bit yeah, it pops her bubbles, reduces her to 200 hitpoints, and locks her own ult, but just generally trying to hack Zarya seems like it's going to be a riskier proposition.

Yeah the EMP vulnerability is the part of her kit that will make Zarya less auto-pick. I don't expect Sombra to be OP at all, but I do expect her to force tank lineups to mix it up a bit just to play around her. Her EMP completely shutting down both Zarya and Reinhardt in a huge way will give those characters something to actually be afraid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Supercar Gautier posted:

I didn't see anyone who thought the ARG would actually trigger Sombra's release. That was obviously not going to be the case because that's not how content releases work.

I did see people who thought it would release little story tidbits, images, advance a narrative through written websites, etc. But it largely failed to even do that.

Yeah. An early hero release was the pie in the sky dream no one thought would actually happen but wouldn't-it-be-cool? The problems with the ARG more stem from it having absolutely nothing until last week with lumerico.mx, which actually had a fair bit of story to dump on us. If every countdown led to some lore, it wouldn't have been such a fiasco. But no. 5 different countdowns, three of which lead directly to the next one except with like one day's puzzle solving between 'em.

The main reason a lot of people thought that LAST countdown would actually lead to a Sombra announcement is twofold. One, the big leak that showed us Sombra's design a month early was part of an article saying "She's hacking her way into the PTR TONIGHT!!!" as the first sentence, and directly referenced the Junkenstein event that wouldn't start until a week after the leak, and that hadn't been spoiled at all until the Sombra leak. Two, by complete coincidence, there was a second leak right before the last ARG countdown. This one was from the Blizzard official store, showing us Sombra's design and confirming the first leak was legit, and also there'd be Sombra merch at Blizzcon in just a few days.

Combining those two leaks, it made a lot of sense to assume the final ARG countdown would lead directly to an announcement or some substantial info about her, with an official announcement + PTR release to happen during BlizzCon. Especially since this last countdown was triggered by user access, not time - it ticked up a tiny tiny bit every time someone submitted a series of five codes to a specific website, and it took thousands of code submissions to tick up to 100%. It was a fairly substantial investment of people's time, so it had to lead to something, right? Blizzard couldn't just yank our chain and give us a FIFTH countdown with nothing at the end but a string of text, right?

When it lead to nothing but a message saying "See you at BlizzCon in 4 days!", people went ballistic. Especially people who'd been submitting those 5 codes in sequence for a couple hours by this point, but also all the people who'd been watching the counter tick up over a matter of hours, finally, only hours! Not months, not this one! It'd be different this time!

It wasn't different this time. I think people would've been way less mad if the very first countdown had lead to "She'll be at BlizzCon!", I think people would've been kinda mad still but we'd all get over it. It'd be a little dumb but at least it was something substantive. But saving it for the end of five countdowns, one of which was two months long and one of which required active user participation for several hours? And not bothering to tell us until a couple days before BlizzCon, where everyone pretty much assumed they'd save that official hero announcement for anyway?

What a waste of time it all was. All we got was Ana's skull x-ray (which, admittedly, was pretty cool) and some dirt on Lumerico's president, who we don't really care about on any level at all and ended up not being a part of Sombra's big movie or motivation or backstory anyway.