Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

biznatchio posted:

It's almost here, guys!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Everyone's favorite hero Genji already does the friendly fire fuckery with deflect.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'm learning a lot from drinking and watching overwatchopen:

Ult management is the most important thing in the game. Running away and jumping off cliffs to deny charge is a thing. Staggering enemy spawns by delaying the last kill is too, especially against a short ranged hero who can't farm ult off of you while you toy with them.

No one focuses Lucio in teamfights nor should they. His passive self healing and is slipperiness with the speed boost makes him the tankiest non-tank in the game, and he has the lowest dps in the game. Kill him last.

Reaper is the best target for Nanoboost in the game. Everything about it is synergistic: the damage reduction plus souls keeps him from being interrupted by dying. The speed boost cancels out the speed reduction–Lucio boost does this too. The damage boost makes the ult do so much damage that it oneshots supports in less than a second and outdamages their ults. 255/second for 3 seconds cuts through Sound Barrier and demotes Transcendence to more of an Amped Up heal aura, and the Ana can negate that anyway. Regular guns do 210 on a body meatshot every half a second. That's more damage twice as fast as a Genji slash and dash on a single target. Even if you beat the ult combo (usually requires a tank ult, Dva doesn't count) he wrecks everyone with just a speedboost and his guns.

For example, there was a game where they started the ult combo with Reaper on 53hp. He ults on the team, quickly gets Roadhog hooked, maybe got a shot off, then gets Reinhardt charged. Then he got sleeped, but between the heals and the focus he was drawing he and his team had killed everyone. It's no-win: you deal with him, his team kills everyone; you don't deal with him, he kills everyone.

The Pharah Mercy combo works because people aren't running McCree and Zenyatta together. One is not enough. Pharah is godlike on the first two points of Eichenwald, King's Row, and Numbani. Doing a high up damage boosted ult is not that bad because all the hitscan weapons you'll see have damage falloff (because no one plays Widowmaker).

Ana comps have a much weaker backline than Lucio Zen, who can speed boost away, knockback, and kill divers. Tracer uniquely hoses them by beating speed boost and knockback with her multiple mobility skills and having effectively 250ish HP and a cleanse. Ana's dot makes reactive Recalls easier.

Reinhardt is pretty mandatory.

Zarya is near mandatory. She has hitscan and aoe, has the best ult in the game, and the shields are OP burst heals that overheal, block all burst damage as long as any remains, and that cleanse debuffs. Remember when they had to nerf Symmetra shields? This is worse. The self buff gives her the same HP as the fattest hero Roadhog... it's an incredibly overloaded skill. Rocket jumping makes up for her lack of a mobility skill. She's every role in one hero. Kill her first: you need to stop her from building ult and using her shields more than once a fight. As her, just stay alive.

Dva doesn't work at all and Roadhog is hard to make work because of the above. So is Reinhardt charge. If there is no Zarya go ahead with it though.

Hanzo works because of the above, and because he and Zen or Ana can put damage out at range like no other combo (you wouldn't run Zen and Ana.) Picks on the first point before ults come up then the Graviton Dragonstrike combo on the second point snowballs the game.

Mei is good. I don't play her at all so I don't really know how beyond ult and wall.

Because I can't help myself–Sombra speculation:

They do stacking damage over time. that'd keep enemies from regenning their shields for a long time and shred armor like Zarya beam.

Shift is noclip–like a dva boost that goes through geometry–that causes nearby enemy heroes to say the detection line within some radius and a visual indicator some smaller radius. If they go underground they'll have a Bugs Bunny tunnel looking thing. It has a fuel mechanic like jump jets, and emptying the fuel starts to cause self damage. However, they have shield hp, and will regen the damage if it's less than the shields hp of course. They can't attack during noclip.

Left click is fast melee, maybe a thrust will less of an arc. Right click is a ranged attack that pierces enemies.

E is dot stack detonation.

Ult is speedboosted noclip that lets you attack, that makes attacks inflict max stacks.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Invite a buddy for the 20% group bonus.

Also win and get medals. Usually healing gets you an effortless gold. Go Lucio and learn to wall ride and get environmental kills.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 26, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I this tournament I'm watching Mercy replaces Lucio when she's played at all. Which is only with Pharah. Add a Winston and Zarya and an R hero and that's the comp that crushes point 1 and maybe 2 on Numbani and Eichenwald. If Volskaya were every played it'd probably work there too because of those flyers' flank routes.

Pharah Mercy Lucio has failed to do so, probably because his ult takes too long to charge.

I would think Zen and Ana without Lucio would lack a speed boost to follow up the Nanoboost charge. Zen seems to be able to compete for Ana's spot on KOTH though, maybe because Zen and Lucio more easily survive against both divers and Zarya ult combo.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Sombra's ult makes jaded nerds feel something other than annoyed superiority again.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Pharah Mercy is a fine combo for 2/3 of most maps, especially on attack. Combine them with Winston, who screws over chunked McCrees and Zenyattas and can roll out as fast as they can, and Ana, the best no falloff character, and the immobile counters are under threat if they try to take out the combo. Doubling Pharah's damage on rockets people even mostly dodge will make it way easier for the mom and the ape to kill them. Maybe it will be a little less of a liability to stick with the combo on third capture points with lower ceilings.

Also she already has all the aerial mobility she needs with rocket jumping. Mercy heals it up in less than a second and it gets her almost as high as she can boost, so she can save it to escape to damage falloff land. Up there it's on Ana to snipe the combo.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No matter who you are, if the Junkrat doesn't suck take an extra clip or two to stay out of range of a quick burst mine and lucky pills and he'll consistently be easy to dodge and easy to kill. That puts the onus on him to hit you with lovely projectiles instead of on you to juke instant death. Keeping him at range also means less chance of stepping on a trap, and usually wherever the trap was you didn't need to be there to kill him.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

"Damage that doesn't kill builds support ults" is such a weird thing to fixate on. It also builds your ult, which you can use to kill the support, or maybe everyone.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Doomfist is just an ambulatory hand like Thing in the Addams family.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shields can't just be non-muscular, cyberlogical technotronic only health though. Symmetra is obviously not a twig that can only exist on this plane because of a metal tanktop or a teenager whose super power is playing videogames, yet she only has 100 health under the 100 shields and Tracer and D.va have 150. Ditto Zenyatta.

Mei asks Zarya how she can fight without a coat or armor or whatnot, so her extra 50 health must be parkas. Shields regenerate and are depleted before armor is ablated, so they must be a stand in for maybe the obvious tech, but also some kind of spiritual, disciplined strength that you only get from being a top athlete, a buddha, or an autist.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

If Pharah's dad was an Indigenous Canadian then her Thunderbird skins are way less racist.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Maybe if they made it so you had to shoot an enemy after splashing them it to inflict the 0 healing debuff. You have to shoot your allies to make use of the x2 healing buff so it'd be more symmetrical.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Every part of Ana's kit is too good.

The grenade healing buff combos with Lucio's healing to make it nearly a Harmony Orb on everyone(25hps vs 30), and with Amp it up even better than an Ana shooting into everyone (80 vs 75). The best way to counter this is another grenade, because the best counter to a hero should be the same hero.

People say she's weak 1v1 and maybe forget the part where she can heal herself for 100 and damage the enemy for 60, sometimes both. She also has a decent weapon. With just her gun, she does 160 damage in 2 shots, add grenade for 220, killing most of the cast. Zenyatta, the offensive support, in the same time does 138-179 with discord. He adds a melee to hit the 200 breakpoint and she does to hit 250 to kill the non-tanks (bastion doesn't count). Zen does have headshots but she has hitscan. Also, breakpoints are variable when the targets are being healed by a healer or their own passive, but Ana uniquely doesn't have to deal with that so her window to hit those breakpoints is much more relaxed than anyone else's.

Then there's sleep dart. Big targets like Bastion and the tanks are much less of a problem now, and anyone else it hits are pretty much doomed. It's also the best way to completely shut down her own ult. The one that's probably the best at breaking a stalemate. It charges quickly and combos well with other ults. Here's a weird one: I ulted a Tracer to make Pulse Bomb hit the 600 breakpoint to kill even full health tanks. You can even make McCree do the moonwalk. Nerf Ana.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I can't wait to see the fanart comics for this.

"HEROES NEVER DIE"
"oh wait I guess they did that time"

Even better if there's some sort of game show Price is Right 'lose' jingle when you try to activate your ult, or some :smug: quote Sombra says based on the ult trying to get activated
:v: die! die! die!
:smug: nope! nope! nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The one by Ana and Pharah is probably her dad. Who is not Jack or Reinhardt. Likewise, the one by Hanjo is probably his and Genji's parent.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hahaha picking up a hacked health pack counts as self healing. It gives you ult charge and more importantly lets you steal cards and medals from healers.

I don't see her shaking up the meta. To do that first of all she needs to get picked. That means pushing out another Attack hero. 1v1 against other attack heroes they all win unless they gently caress up and her larger magazine comes into play. Sort of like Soldier 76, the never-used-in-competitive character. She hoses Genji and Tracer with the hack because they really suck without their survival skills, but the other guys just shrug and shoot her dead. Other Attack heroes just plain kill people with their ults, and dead heroes can't kill anyone (Torbjorn Symmetra and Junkrat don't count). She doesn't have one of those ults you can just whip out like Indiana Jones vs the Cairo swordsman when you're sick of dueling and just want to press Q and instakill your enemy. She interrupts some ults, and shuts down one good forevermeta ult in sound barrier, but what's the best way to interrupt an ult? Death!

Also, Ana boosting her probably isn't that special. Who knows, maybe the git boosted, EMP build ult EMP again dream combo will be good but it's probably not as good as boosting a Reaper or weaboo and oneshotting everyone. In the situation where things have gone to hell and only your Attack hero is alive against whatever odds, the last hero you want that to be is Sombra.

Tank-wise, Zarya will be fine unless she's caught out without a healer and Sombra ults her, then she's completely screwed. Otherwise, EMP'd Zarya with some charge at 200 hp still does Attack hero damage and can be "overhealed." Zarya bubble interrupts hack so she can stop herself and others from being hacked, just like with Mei freeze. Stays meta.

Reinhardt can turn his barrier around to interrupt a hack from behind, and his barrier stops her from hacking other people. Maybe that matters. She can't 1-clip him. He's forevermeta and will stay picked even against a Sombra.

D.va will not be thrust into the meta. When hacked she is pretty screwed. She'd have to survive for 6 seconds with her slow rear end movement while single-target shooting, without boost or APM or else she's de-meched, can't ult, and is basically delaying her respawn. APM can't eat EMP like a lot of other ults and things. Denying health packs matters against D.va. If she gets hacked while out of mech she can't get back in the mech, which I find hilarious but probably doesn't matter.

Winston is supposed to counter her according to that dev, but if she gets hack off on him he is toast. Hacked Winston can't jump away or ult to survive. Hacked ulting Winston also can't chase or escape, just walk at people and knock them out of his own range. Denying health packs matters against Winston. 1v1 unless he lands on her she can one-clip him before she kills her gun-vs-gun (with some headshots, probably reliably), and she has translocate away then stealth and outrun to juke him. If he runs away, she can stealth after him and finish him off. I don't see a counter, or at least see a "volatile matchup" or whatever.

Roadhog becomes a worse pick when someone can get past him while he's looking for that hook, and she can burn him down pretty good (with an unrealistic 2 full seconds of headshots she can even 1-clip him). Hooking invisible Sombras will be hilarious but unlikely: she'll be the best attack hero in terms of flanking him and his team. 1v1, she can see him when he's weak, hack him while he heals, and finish him off easily. The dream matchup.

Supports: Ana, as if she weren't already meta enough, is probably the best support vs Sombra. Losing grenade sucks, but healing those tanks at 75hps so they can survive long enough to be able to ult again and win a fight matters. The support with the best damage in class would prefer to go against the attack hero with the worst.

If people play Sombra, the character who really gets hosed is Zenyatta, who has it hard enough. "Hi, you have 50 health now and can't ult for 6 seconds. Good luck." Torbjorn also gets hosed because of how long the hacked debuff lasts on turrets. Hacking them without ult is apparently hard unless they're targeting someone else so their damage doesn't interrupt your hack, but damage is good at killing them normally, and her ult completely hoses the super turret for all of Molten Core.

My hope is they forget to make hacks not persist through hero swapping so you get teams starting with Attack Sombra, stealth sprinting to the best healthpack and hacking it, then translocating back to the spawn room and switching hero.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Well technically hack has 10m range and tesla cannon has 8m, and maybe overhead behind the back translocator hack could work... nah I was talking about EMP against classes.

In the support class, Lucio might appear to be the most hosed because of the ult-canceling thing but I think Zen gets hosed as much if not worse because of all the ults in the game it looks like it gives him the least time to reaction ult (EMP looks instant), and afterwards anyone can breathe on him and he's dead. For him, It's as bad as getting Reaper ulted for a just under a second but instantly. At least Lucio is a regenning wallrunning dude with 200 hp after he gets EMP'd.

Same thing with Winston. In the tank class, Zarya is the most hosed, but he's the next most hosed–he has the next worst health pool among tanks and relies more on his buttons, and even while ulting he gets sort of hosed by losing his low cooldown jump. Also he was touted as a "hard counter" but the matchup seems not that bad for her. Sorta like Tracer. He can spam tesla cannon and spins around and make it not as easy to stealth past him, she can give him the slip and burn him down. It's not "Pyro vs Spy" levels of sneak up on your counter or you're hosed. It's more like, maybe I'd rather be a Sombra than a McCree or Soldier in the matchup?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hacking someone gives you vision of them longer than it disables their abilities, that and her passive are tailor made for screwing Mercy out of big rezzes. Ult, kill team, follow her to her hiding place while stealthed, hack her because her weapon is dodgeable, voice line, kill and stagger her spawn. In general she'd be really good for staggering people's spawns. All the other guys with vision abilities are snipers and zenyatta, not heroes with the kits to chase people down and toy with them after fights.

Also I bet she has a good "hello" gesture while hacking.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I know diamond pros will never ever get hacked unless she ults, but I'm only almost plat so I can dream.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Sombra's vision isn't based on hacking a target at all. It's a passive called 'opportunist' that lets her see any enemies under 50% health.

Yeah I didn't proofread that quite right. I'll break it down more clearly and correctly: Mercy does need to be damaged after the EMP to know her location, but when you EMP hack her you still see her ult status, for longer than the ability block as long as you get line of sight. Even if she got ulted and survived the fight with above half life you'll at least have the knowledge of whether she built up the ult and is hiding around looking for it or didn't and is just probably just running.

Normally it's a mad dash to kill a Mercy during/after a fight, which doesn't stagger her spawn, but Sombra knows when to kill her and when she staggers her spawn more and stalls the next push by a few seconds by refreshing the hack first. Or, if you've killed her team and have EMP up and she flies in for the big rez, you could solo-EMP her and deny it, say hello, crouch spam, emote, refresh the hack, then kill her much later. If she's now missed her team's respawn timers, triply denied from ulting, you could all SAKE yourselves hoarse and stagger her spawn real bad. It's just a weird thing I thought of that other heroes can't already do.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'm guessing the logic goes something like this: If you direct hit someone in the legs you get the same knockback as before. If they dodge/you miss it enough to take max splash damage of 80 you get the same knockback as before. Really good Pharahs are far less affected by the adjustment.

As for aim disruption, dodging a rocket requires movement, which disrupts aim–currently even dodging well still causes more disruption by knockback. Rewarding dodging with less disruption is good for counterplay.

On the other hand, as Pharah doing less than 15 damage a shot with a slow firing low magazine projectile weapon, that's like hitscan pellet plinking away kinds of dps. Losing DPS races with wounded Reapers and Tracers while fighting near your optimum range and are getting splash damage is unsatisfying.

No hero should get to be "evasive" without hitting shots or using cooldowns, and slow firing heroes should be have competitive DPS while fighting near their optimal range and getting splash damage/bodyshots. That's why Tracer got her buff back in beta (when Genji was totally overshadowing her), and Widowmaker is getting her buff (only cheaters and savants can use her without getting shamed), and Pharah is getting her adjustments.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I don't think it makes sense to say that the Pharah player can and must adjust their aim based on predictable knockback to maximize their damage but the aim disruption is unpredictable to the other player shooting back at the Pharah. If they both saw the rocket and are familiar with the knockback then both of the "good players" don't care either way–they predict the effects and adjust their aim. All that matters at that point in the matchup is how much damage the rocket did.

Yes, an unseen rocket that's accidentally dodged or otherwise doesn't inflict maximum splash damage will disrupt the victim's aim less than live, so a Pharah shooting at an unaware target is nerfed, and also a Pharah shooting at a target to disrupt their aim to protect their ally is nerfed. But she should be protecting her ally and punishing her unaware target by killing them, not with utility. That's how Attack classes are supposed to protect their teammates: with their damage. At best they might have a cooldown that can protect their team without damage. Soldier has biotic field, Sombra has hack, Genji has deflect. Pharah already has conc.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The only Pharah that is nerfed against unaware McCree is the one whose rockets neither direct hit nor inflict maximum splash damage. Under those circumstances the Pharah is still dealing potentially more than twice the damage to the elusive but unaware McCree as on live. I just don't see it as a "big nerf."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The bolts have the same travel speed, Dva has a higher rate of fire but Mercy does a little more damage per second, much more per clip and reloads faster.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

A lot of heroes don't burst and need to use high ground, camp, or otherwise ambush to damage race people. Sombra has to use the latter two but is the absolute best at getting them even when the map wouldn't normally allow for that. She can find weak targets with her passive and win the damage race by starting before they can turn around and aim at her and/or simulate fighting them with their cooldowns down/ having missed them all via her hack/ult. In other words, she can force competent players to go against the normal rule of "don't fight unless your cooldowns are up."

Of course, some heroes are more screwed than others in these situations, and sometimes they already don't have their cooldowns because Sombra pays attention to that while stealthed. That way she starts the gunning sooner instead of spending the time hacking. The counterplay to this is listening for her decloaking.

I think an underrepresented but crucial Sombra tactic is to lay down the mine, camp without stealth and therefore no decloak sound, ambush them with the gun and get them to 50% (sometimes if the target has low health you can hack and get them to half), hit the translocator and stealth at the same time, chase them with speed and stealth and the passive, then finally ambush them again, maybe hack first this time as needed.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

That "top 5 techs" youtube guy says to crouch and fire with RH to make it a lot easier to hit lucio, sombra, and ana, and that aiming lower can make you miss pellets. Makes sense, if you are looking down on them from above there's less of a silhouette than looking at them straight on from their chest height.

Personally I've found myself getting hosed by terrain on the ground by my feet pushing my hook targets to the side right as they come up to me. I don't know if that is new because I never played that much RH.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Soldier on his own is hard pressed to gun down Pharah outright, it's not even just the spread (which you can still mitigate to an extent) but the falloff as well, even with his damage buffed the general range that Soldier is going to be shooting Pharah at means that he can put pressure on her but usually can't outright kill her before she's able to touch down behind cover, and that's if she isn't getting healed in the process. McCree is, if you can aim, more reliable against Pharah because of his higher burst damage.

And yeah, Zenyatta is absolutely a good choice to have as well. Simply having discord on her makes a lot of Pharahs dive for cover to try and shake it off.

I disagree, of all the guns with damage falloff, Soldier's is the best since it doesn't start until 30m. He can heal, too, putting him out of range of getting 2-shotted with at least one direct hit or 3-shotted with all splash hits. His ult suppresses you longer and kills you faster. McCree has burst but is also relatively a sitting duck and easier to fire at from range, and once you get outside of his falloff start range of 22m he can't 2-3shot you anymore, so his time to kill is about the same as Soldier's. They're at least equally bad for Pharah to encounter. In practice, if you are having trouble killing her as Soldier you probably won't do any better as McCree, and I hate running into Soldier more.

3-4 tanks are what I hate running into most. Roadhog can 1-shot me from 20m with hook, Reinhardt and Dva can block my stuff, and I can't solo kill any of them if they have a competent healer, who can hide behind them so I can't kill them either. Also multi-tank comp is run with Pharah's actual bane: Ana. She who can put herself out of range of being 2-3 shotted and can 3 shot me like McCree but from infinite range and with a scope. She's worse than Widowmaker because of that self-heal.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Roadhog kills Rein barrier faster than anyone else in the game other than a Reaper who's standing less than 10m away from it.

225 dps, 900 per clip for RH. Live vs PTR Dva goes from168 to 154, and still does a less dps timing over RH's full reload cycle, 5.5 seconds–as unfavorable as you can get for Roadhog, at 847. Soldier does 700 in that time. Because the best counter to a tank is another tank, of course. Whenever a hero is their own best counter it's questionable design, because then whenever those heroes are run, you might want their duplicate on your own team. Ana, Reinhardt, Lucio, and now Sombra–in at least one pro match defense ran a Sombra to slow down a point 1 offense knowing their opponents ran a Sombra offense. The other 3-2 slots are run to counter the heroes that counter the core heroes or counter the counters. Recently, Dva, Soldier, and RH.

Also, beyblade (nanoboosted Reaper) could always have been countered by banking a RH ult. Same with nanoblade. If they'd given the meta time to adapt the strat would have been pushed down without the nerf.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I don't even think Dva buffs made her a good pick, it was what happened to the rest of the meta.

Dva never beat beyblade, because she did nothing to nanoblade and nanoreinhardt, and even against Reaper she needs to put defense matrix cone between the target and the source to protect them, and a sped up dude can just run around her and shoot everyone except her, and he only needed to land one shot to kill, and that usually charged up his ultimate, and then she couldn't block enough of that for the same reason. Roadhog beat beyblade with whole hog, but not enough teams figured it out. Instead, people just tried to rely on lucky sleep darts and ult-wasting, position-loving CC chains like Reinhardt ulting and charging the blue guy really far away while his team died to everyone else.

At the same time Reaper, was never the answer to Dva, and isn't really a "tank buster." He's a Zarya and Winston buster, and when you add Dva and Roadhog to the mix he can never get anything done because without an enormous speed boost it's trivial to turn around and stop him from snowballing and oneshot him. Zarya was the Dva buster and reason she was never run, because there was a bugged interaction between Zarya beam and armor. Before the big hero balance patch it was partially piercing the armor, and the fix made it work like pellets or Winston's M1 and they nerfed her barriers so they charged her damage slower. All that means D.va became extremely less countered by a high-pick hero in the same slot, tank. Seriously, Zarya could regularly more damage to Dva than Reaper and through her defense matrix.

Similarly, to not giving the tournament meta time to change naturally before, the answer to Dva/the tank meta now is Mei, but not enough people play her. She can M1 Dva through defense matrix and keep her from shutting down ults like visor. Her M2 damage hits important breakpoints against other, best-in-slot, "meta" heroes: she can kill Tracer with 1(!) headshot or 2 body shots, and kill her with double headshots through Ana heals. Likewise, she can 2 shot Ana through her Biotic Grenade self heal, and 2 shot (headshot bodyshot) any 200 hp hero through Lucio's passive healing (not amped up) including Lucio himself. A problem with her is that she sucks at breaking a Reinhardt barrier without her ultimate, but if her team coordinates around ice wall better than the other team, her ice wall gives her Reinhardt a chance to heal just less than 500 barrier health and/or gives everyone time to manage cooldowns and simultaneously reload. Ice wall and cryo-freeze can stop graviton combos, every stage of Roadhog combo and his ult, Reinhardt ult and charges, can interfere with nanovisor or grant access to the high ground Soldier likes to sprint to. Her ult destroys phalanxes and combos with graviton.

Finally, her best counters are F-tier heroes like Reaper who can reliably 2 shot her and escape her freeze and ult, Hanzo who can graviton combo through icewall and reliably hit the 1 shot breakpoint (also he can shoot a sonic arrow on top of her while she's in cryo-freeze and it will drop onto her head when it ends), and Junkrat whose ult can climb icewalls and who can trap/mine her while cryo-freeze, Widow kind of counters her with 1 shotting and trapping the cryo-freeze.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Don't tunnel on Mei's damage against tanks. No one can consistently burn down the tanks fast enough through the healing and rotating barriers, so you have to do other things. Shoot rockets over the tanks. Cheese with a Bastion. Rush a Sombra ult, it charges real fast. Mei's does too because of self-healing, and a team-splitting wall can be as dangerous as a Roadhog hook but can be used effectively before Reinhardt's barrier is broken.

Mei, like Sombra, doesn't kill the tanks, she interferes with the tanks' ability to kill her team and protect themselves and their own team. She also does what you'd expect from an offense hero well enough–deal with Tracer–the most picked offense hero–and threaten the supports all because of hitting those damage breakpoints.

The obvious reason something wouldn't possibly work doesn't always pan out either. People didn't think Roadhog was good against beyblade because nanoReaper 3 shot him anyway and nano'd targets were impossible to kill even when hooked because damage reduction stacks with healing buff stacks with healing. Only in a few games that I saw did he start stuffing the entire strat by just sitting on his ult until the angry blue guy started running at his team then pushing him into a wall way over there.

Kai Tave posted:

You know, I thought the M1 polling rate change affected how Zarya worked against D.Va too, but since then I've seen a number of people come out and say that it hasn't actually changed how much damage Zarya does to armor. Does anyone have actual numbers on this? I've felt less threatened by Zarya as D.Va but it could be a combination of Zenyatta not being as prevalent and the additional +100 white health providing extra padding.

Looking it up and ignoring the speculation/lying when the patch came out, the polling rate didn't actually change the formula (it's still coded in such a way that Zarya damage pierces armor as if she were shooting 5 bullets per second for 19-38 damage.), it was just that Zarya, like any hero, does way worse against armor when that 5 damage reduction is less of the whole tick. She actually does slightly more damage post patch at the same charge rates because the initial tick of damage occurs instantly, at the start of the tick instead of at the end of it.

If every character could give themselves a damage buff it'd work similarly for them as long as their bullets/pellets did more than 10 damage. Unfortunately for a lot of heroes, they can have a hard time ever buffing their pellets to do more than 10 damage, after which armor starts getting worse reduction than its best, 50%. For instance, nanoboosted Reaper's pellets do 10.5 damage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/563r6l/zarya_and_other_beam_weapons_vs_armor_tested/

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

AOE healing like 76, Lucio and Zen ult also get blocked by barriers and telephone poles. Zen is invincible and can bodyblock some AOE ultimates that would outdamage his 300hps, but the aura does nothing against burst. Also, nanoboosted 76 does exactly that much damage so someone who takes any amount of deadly fire simultaneously will still die, especially with low max health heroes and/or ones that were damaged before entering the healing field. Point blank Justice will kill the entire team through transcendence, I've done it before and it feels really good. For the Pharah.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

18 became Mei.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

what about 40

Also Mei. The hazmat one was the way earlier concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

In development his soul eater passive destroyed Mercy ghosts for rezzing or dashing.