Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's amazing how and how slowly the throw was softballed in and how badly the writers still struck out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that catering to DPS mains inevitably means removing fun parts of being a tank or support because DPS complains if anything that isn't shooting someone in the head is effective and Overwatch is clearly catering to that mindset while also being Overwatch and thus having significantly shittier shooting than any of its direct competitors.

You can make things more combat focused. loving Gundam Evolution has no shields and limited healing and is more fun to play a support role in because at least it allows support skills to be something that feels good instead of ~everything slows~

After even just a brief taste of Gundam Evo it feels like it addresses most of the egregious problems with Overwatch's core design by sidestepping them altogether. Every class is a "DPS" but all units have skills in their kit that give them a degree of support or defensive utility, some more than others. Also Ults in that game are weaker than OW ults by design. Even those that are directly inspired by OW ults are tweaked to require more skill and timing to use. There's the unit that's otherwise Literally S76, Pale Rider, and its ult isn't a headshot aimbot. It's functionally a self-nanoboost that improves performance but you still have to actually land your shots.

On the topic of another class-based team pvp payload mode, one that I know at least you're familiar with, Imp.

Of all games, FFXIV completely revamped their pvp model to standardize every role as being, functionally, DPS, and whether you're a tank or healer just determines how many more defensive or support abilities you have to complement your damage-dealing. It's an honest-to-goodness Role Trinity MMO that, in all other content, is otherwise so strict about adhering to this model that people coming in from other MMOs find it exceedingly restrictive. The devs looked at the tank-healer-dps dynamic in a pvp context and realized that, in a teamfight game, designing around these roles as ironclad definitions rather than soft suggestions was itself a mistake. And the result of their revamp was that people love it. The payload pvp mode in ffxiv is wildly popular among the playerbase now and nobody has anything bad to say about its fundamental design, their only concern is balance tweaks.

I get that Overwatch's entire identity and feel is set in stone now so it really won't be able to budge without large swathes of its remaining population feeling like they're being betrayed, but it feels like other games are starting to look at what it did right and what it did wrong and multiple dev teams are independently coming to the conclusion that the strict adherence to role definition falls into the latter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

headcase posted:

I would never cheat in any game, even single player.

You say that but some single player games have grinding expectations that put Korean MMOs to shame.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

The company is basically done, hearthstone devs do a good job but everything else is dead. It's hard to know what went so wrong, my guess is maybe the higher ups figured one fortnite was worth more than than a dozen diablo 3s and thought they could focus test their way to a giga success and killed off so many projects that the company culture just became wheel-spinning. Would totally read a book on it though, it's crazy how companies like Riot and Mihoyo can do so much while Blizzard does so little.

From pretty much all accounts it was mostly due to a dysfunctional workplace where surprisingly little work got done due to the aforementioned rock star attitude being kinda pervasive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

gundam evo not having roles at all is 99% of the reason im excited for it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

There’s a cool looking Gundam overwatch clone coming out like 2 weeks before so I’m going to jump ship and try the cool Gundam game

The maps were terrible in the beta but that was made up for by there being no MMO roles, just varying types of utility tied to a DPS baseline functionality.

It just felt less frustrating to play, even if you needed to learn how to counter Barbatos and fast.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While the hard role-based design is the source of a large part of my issues with Overwatch it's also foundational to the game's identity.

Another game seeing OW, and coming to the conclusion to avoid having the mmo trinity in a shooter? That's just natural iteration.

OW looking at its own history and deciding to turn tanks and healers into DPS+utility? That'd be kinda hosed up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's literally where OW2 is going

rip

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

Looked into the Gundam game, and it’s all just main timeline stuff. Let me know when they get some content from G or Wing.

IBO, 00, and SEED are right there holmes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GM Sniper sucks because it's the only suit that's "what if an Overwatch character was stronger" when every other OW analog is demonstrably weaker than their original and better for it.

And the OW character in question is loving Widowmaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bacontotem posted:

It's like I never left.