Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Not sure which patch did it, but at some point this past week they removed Ana's ability to sleep chain in total mayhem. The cooldown is 8 seconds now.

Thank loving god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I guess with the last possible reason to ever play Total Mayhem removed, there's no longer any temptation to subject yourself to it.

I got into Total Mayhem during a horrible losing streak of Lucioball and I've come to like it a lot more than I used to. If deathmatch hasn't been added, it'd probably be my favorite arcade mode.

It's strangely cathartic when you're having a rough bunch of games in QP/Comp.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My scatter arrow fix would be to rework it so it scatters randomly and can't oneshot people if it goes off at their feet, but each arrow can persist a max of like 3-5 seconds and bounce off of surfaces up to like 15 times. The catch is, an arrow only gets additional bounces/time if it impacts a surface within 1 second of the initial scatter or .5 seconds after any subsequent bounce. Raise the cooldown to 20 seconds or something to compensate. Now the skill can actually bounce off walls in tight rooms like it's supposed to and he has an "oh poo poo" button he can hit if he's trapped in close quarters or that he can use to punish enemies clumped in tiny rooms for some reason. Go all out on his abilities being super powerful but having extremely long cooldown times.

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a character you're bad with that you wish you were good with?

For me it's Tracer. I'm absolutely incompetent with her due to my terrible reaction time but she seems like so much fun for players that are good with her.

Genji for me, but it's a problem that I also have with Lucio and Zenyatta. I can't aim projectiles besides Mei's and Pharah's for some reason. Mei was who I originally Got Gud with (relative to how terrible I used to be before) so aiming with her is easy for me, and Pharah's rockets translated easily in my head so I'm fine on that front. I just can't aim with Lucio/Zen to save my life, literally sometimes.

Luckily in their cases I can still be at least somewhat useful playing them by healing/discording/booping and trying to have general good game sense, but with Genji I kind of need to hit people since that's pretty much his job. I know the answer is to just practice, but...:effort:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I don't care about it a ton but I usually end up with 60%-70%accuracy as Ana, both unscoped and scoped, depending on if my team has a Genji or Pharah since those two are harder to hit sometimes. I love taking potshots at random stuff though, which probably hurts it a bit.

It's really not something you have to worry about, if you think you're doing poorly you probably are and vice versa. Your team will also absolutely let you know if they aren't getting healed enough. Allies have exaggerated hitboxes for you, I can easily and consistently pull that accuracy off every match without trying and I can assure you I am absolute trash if you were to hand me Widowmaker.

teagone posted:

Win rate is the only stat that matters :twisted:

For real though, the better you perform, the better your win rate % will be. Simple really. IMO, try not to get caught up with accuracy percentages, KDR, etc. or try to compare them to some baseline standard. If you're making an impact on the game or performing poorly, you should be able to tell. Stats are neat to look at, but they're just a byproduct. No need to worry about them.

This, for real.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dick Burglar posted:

It's almost as if a new map if going to favor defense (who just have to stall) over offense (who have to actually do work) in the early days of its release :thunk:

Not saying it's perfect but c'mon people.

It certainly evokes the feeling of fighting an uphill battle like it should, but the attackers really seem to get the short stick. The final push to the first point is a wide open area with zero cover for attackers and easily accessable high ground for defence, while the second point is nearly entirely low grounds for attackers while the entrance to high ground is literally on the way to the cart for defence.

I'm thinking Orisa is going to see a lot of play there, just because she can yoink people off their perches in the first points. Haven't played enough matches to get a concrete feel for it just yet but it feels a lot like horizon where on attack you either take the point on the first 30 seconds or prepare for an insane hold that you'll be lucky to break in five minutes

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I like 2cp but I also like playing Mei so I'm used to being told I have bad opinions

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 22, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kai Tave posted:

I mean if you're going to play Mei, 2CP is the mode to do it in.

Thanks for the advice, I guess?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kai Tave posted:

It was just a comment that Mei flourishes on a lot of the 2CP maps, the aforementioned chokes playing to her strengths whereas on more open maps like KotH she sometimes struggles because it's easier for people to simply go around her walls and her lack of mobility can be a hindrance. It's not a hard and fast rule, certain KotH map segments work well with her, I've seen her used on Nepal Village to good effect.

Lol I forgot what thread I was in for a moment replying to that, my bad. Yeah, that's the same way I feel about her.

I wish she didn't have this meme/troll status attached to her so I could get away with picking her more often, she has one of the best ults for comboing short of Zarya or Ana imo and I feel like people don't take advantage of her kit in general as much as they could a lot of the time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I gave new mercy a shot and while I think the changes undeniably make her a better character, she's still aggressively unfun for me. I'm still running around tethered to my team, ping ponging between whoever needs healing most while staying out of sight, except now instead of rezing from 20 meters away I have to rub my face in their butthole to pick them up.

I'm glad she's better but she's still not for me, I guess. Luckily there are three other fantastic healers available, so I'm still fine. :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

In the current meta?

Stop playing her. You have now mastered Ana.

:negative:

This is the real downside of the Mercy buffs

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I have, several times out of reflex, attempted to sleep dart the tire as Ana. :negative:

It doesn't work obviously, but it still makes the hit sound when the dart connects. Just enough time for you to feel like a complete idiot for trying to put a tire to sleep before it blows up and kills you.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Black Pants posted:

I guess that'll improve if I go up in competitive ranks, but jesus.

As far as I can tell from people higher than I am, the only thing that improves as you go up in rank is that people's aim gets slightly better. Even according to someone like Blinky, who topped at something like 4.6k SR, people are loving idiots all the way up to grandmasters.

The only thing you can count on improving is you. :black101:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kai Tave posted:

It's important to recognize that at gold your teammates are making lots of basic mistakes, but so are you. Everybody is bad in different ways. You can control your own badness, but not that of the five other people on your team.

I remember when I was new and finally had this beaten into my head by someone here.

It's liberating, in a way. It's so much less stressful when instead of approaching games with a "how can I win harder" mindset, you go at it thinking "how can I suck a little less".

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

brainSnakes posted:

Between playing yesterday and today, i've gotten Mei's vampire skin, her vampire hop emote, and her ice scream win pose. i feel obligated to give her a serious try, for once.

any tips on how to be a not shithive awful Mei? I play zen and rat so I can track things and shoot them with non hitscan weapons, I like her icicle gun.

beyond that I don't know what the gently caress to do with her besides spam aMEIzing and worry about ruining my friends lives too much to drop an ice wall.

In addition to what everyone else has said:

One of the biggest keys to Mei is cooldown management. As long as at least one of your abilities is off cooldown, you're practically invincible as long as you're not extremely out of position. If you ever die as Mei without getting bursted down in a split second, you probably screwed up.

Knowing when to cancel wall/cryo is one of the most important skills you need. The sooner you cancel them, the sooner the cooldown starts and the faster you'll have access to them again. Cryo should only be used for recovering health outside fights. Pretend it's a Zarya bubble or something, stay in it just long enough to block whatever's coming at you and the moment the other person switches focus from you, pop out and surprise them.

Have a purpose to every wall you put up and cancel it as soon as you're done. Sometimes that's splitting up the other team, sometimes it's blocking them entirely (rarely the right option but good times to do it exist). Get used to double tapping E and looking down to put it underneath you, which you can then jump off of to get up to places. Instant access to high ground, plus you can so cool stuff like accessing every level of Temple of Anubis point B without having to take the stairs.

Also since I didn't see anyone else mention it, if you ult and spray someone with m1, the time it takes to freeze decreases by like half. Doesn't come in handy all the time, but it's a good thing to know.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

Re: mei chat. You can get 3 headshots off, one just before the enemy actually freezes while they're slow, then finish the freeze and two headshots after that.

Deals with any non tank and any tank will be low as gently caress

That's insanely overkill on anything that isn't a tank.

E: for the record:

Freezing takes 1.5 seconds, during which the stream is going to deal 67 damage. From there, a 150 damage headshot kills every single hero at 200 health or less. You can extend that kill range to all 250 hp heroes by just holding m1 for an extra second before firing. Melee afterwards if you aren't confident about your timing. The only characters capable of surviving this at full health are tanks and bastion. Probably torb too because that rear end in a top hat basically always has armor up on himself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

The triple headshot combo gets through healing though, which is what its designed for :)

:downs:

In my defense, it was like 4am

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Black Pants posted:

From what I've seen both in my own play and videos of others:

Rein is a free kill for Orisa. She pretty much straight up invalidates both his most powerful ability (charge) and his ult and her gun will tear him apart faster than he can melee her even if she's not getting headshots.

Roadhog is also a pretty easy kill unless he's got a healer focused on him. Again, you can no-sell the hook, and even if Reinforce is on cooldown or you are caught by surprise he can't one-hit you after a pull.

I want to live in your world where engaging Reins never approach with their shield up, never firestrike, and it's possible to react to point blank earthshatters after they walk through your shield.

Or the world where Roadhog doesn't just empty his gun into your face and just immediately press E the moment you hit fortify. Also unless I'm mistaken, isn't hitting fortify against hog's ult basically suicide?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

Yeah Mei is trash. She's less trash the worse your opposition is, but either way her DPS output is low. I'd rather run her in the off tank slot than as a DPS, if I had to run her at all.

Yeah, this.

I love playing Mei and have like 60+ hours on her but my playtime with her has gone drastically down since I've been trying to be serious and climb in SR, or even in Arcade when I'm trying to actually grind out my boxes.

She's still my favorite character but if you're trying to win she's possibly one of the hardest characters to justify picking over someone else in virtually any team comp. Sure, icicle headshots do some of the highest burst damage in the game, but I could also just pick Pharah and have similar speed projectiles and get way more work done in general.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, I found somewhere that Doomfist actually feels decent: Anubis, especially the second point. The numerous cramped spaces and short sightlines mean he can punch anyone who sees him, and the terrain is pretty much perfect for his escapes as well.

I feel like there's a point to be made that the characters generally agreed to have the most issues/flaws (Doomfist/Mei/Torb/Sym/Bastion) all seem to function their best on 2CP maps.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Manatee Cannon posted:

doomfist does not radiate a threat radius around his team to discourage you from attacking because his punch takes him away from his team. his kit is the antithesis of tanking because he doesn't tank damage, his abilities remove him from his own team, and his survivability is in the gutter.

So, like, did you just kind of forget Winston existed while writing this or what

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Manatee Cannon posted:

winston has a shield

I mean sure, but in the post I quoted you say that tanks need to either radiate threat around their team (which Winston doesn't have the damage to do), soak damage (which Winston doesn't have the health to do), have abilities that benefit their team (using winston's shield to cover your team means you're not using it to pounce on somebody, also it only has 300hp so good luck with that), or have good survivability (Winston dies extremely easily). By your own criteria Winston essentially isn't a tank.

And to be fair he's a lovely tank in the traditional sense of the term, but that doesn't make him any less fantastic an initiator.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

Winston definitely creates threat. He's a force multiplier though, which is why so many people sleep on him. Dumb to say "he's not as good as x" based on that alone, because force multipliers, by their nature, aren't strong alone.

I mean, the context of the post I was quoting in talking about radiating threat around their team kind of gave me the impression that he meant individual tanks doing so on their own which is why I didn't mention anything about that. Was that not the case?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fair enough!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Captain Log posted:

What is the currently preferred app for Overwatch? I'd like to track things better than the five second screen at the end of a match.

I don't know there are any. I heard of one a while ago that did some weird poo poo and supposedly ranked your stats, so it would tell you that your accuracy was at a plat level or whatever. Personally I've never felt the need for an app, if you really want to see your stats or look at winrate/SR graphs both overbuff and masteroverwatch are fantastic and work just fine in a mobile browser. Overbuff mainly tells you stats as a flat average, but masteroverwatch gives you stats as an average per minute, which some people prefer.

The real truth though is that worrying about stats is kind of a fool's game and worrying about them tends to give people inflated egos as they point to high stats or medals as a reason they should be doing well while ignoring all the other flaws in their play. Focusing on fixing tiny fuckups you do in games will do you way better in the long term. It's still fun to look at sometimes, though!

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 29, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Captain Log posted:

What matters more, winning or medals? I really just want to hit gold this time around.

You don't gain SR for having medals, so...

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

neglects to mention how much of a delay there is on junkrat's ult activating in the last one

and that those "lingering" projectiles are also the slowest primary fire projectiles in the game; the only projectiles that move more slowly are symmetra's orb and torb's armor pack fling

and that his triple jump requires placing a mine and then waiting for a cooldown to execute which is nowhere near as good or easily available as genji's old triple-jump

He's quoting posts from the blizzard forums :ssh:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i know, but i enjoy talking about junkrat

i made the same response to the actual post on the blizzard forums

It's me, I'm the dumb one :downs:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Winston with 70 dps would equate to him killing 200hp heroes in just under three seconds, or around two seconds if you land on someone with your jump and melee afterwards. They'd probably have to nerf his mobility and/or shield to compensate, because that'd get really frustrating to play against real quick.

I've grown to either pounce on out of position people or go straight for the healers as Winston. Trying to zap anyone getting healed feels like a fool's game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thor-Stryker posted:

Can we please change Mei's wall placement from direct LOS to an arc? Draw the line from her gun to the point on the ground as well, considering you can't shoot when placing the wall in the first place.

Nothing is worse than getting hosed because placement struggles with even the slightest amount of elevation.

This is the worst idea I've ever seen, why in the world would you want to have to look up to place your wall farther away instead of just pointing?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thor-Stryker posted:

So you can have more accuracy in where you want your wall to land? I'm not saying it has to be some crazy arc like a Junk grenade, but a long gradual one like a Zarya alt-fire so you can reach over terrain without the hassle of hoping your wall is in the exact placement because of a change in elevation.

It's cool though, keep placing that poo poo in the wrong spot (and most Mei players will place that poo poo in the wrong spot.)

No seriously, how in the world are you using your wall that you're getting screwed over by elevation changes? I've literally never seen anyone complain about this before. :psyduck:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thor-Stryker posted:

Mei's wall uses the same mechanism as Reaper's teleport. You really start to notice it on maps that have dividers of different heights in the middle of arenas. Kinda like the fountain in Anubis A, it's easy to catch the edges whereas an arcing deployment (with line) would allow you to see exactly where your wall is going.

It really is just a QoL improvement that would make the character more accessible to everyone while not drastically changing her skill requirements.

There's already a gigantic blue shadow centered in the middle of your screen that shows you exactly where it's going to go! If you make the game deploy Mei walls in an arc like Orisa's shields, the only issue you're solving is deploying them at higher elevations. At range, it would make it really awkward using them in hallways at longer distances, and a frustrating experience in general to put one more than five feet into entrances to rooms if you're too far away. Unless of course you let the arc clip through walls while still placing your wall at the target, but at that point you've entirely defeated the purpose of having an arc in the first place.

I would totally understand if you meant an arcing line in addition to the shadow or something but giving them wall's trajectory a curve so you can arc it over objects like an Orisa shield is a way bigger deal than you're saying here.

Sorry, I just play a lot of Mei so this whole thing really jumped out at me.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've watched a a few kill cams recently in disbelief at the amazing tracking of whoever killed me through my adad spam when I remember to do it, only to watch the kill cam show me walking up to them in a straight line.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Shnag posted:

I understand people like DPS, but the bottom line is not everyone can be quarterback! Someone has to play goalie! I'm fine as tank or healer, but I can't be both.

A dude on youtube I follow by the name of sir swag made a video recently where he made the point that flex players might as well just call themselves tank/support mains instead. Yeah in theory you're being flexible and selecting whatever the team needs, but in practice dps is so fun/popular that even without the slam picks you basically never run into a team where nobody picks dps.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://streamable.com/a28py

Just had this shared with me, apparently this is currently how it works on the ptr. I'm really hoping this is a bug, that would be such a stupid change

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

thexerox123 posted:

Why would that be a stupid change?

She's already one of the weaker characters and one thing people generally agree she's good at is stalling, which this would completely ruin. It also makes things weird and inconsistent, Doomfist can't affect immobile objects like bastion or Orisa using fortify, but he can totally punch Mei away?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Suspicious Cook posted:

People are saying a fully charged punch can knock Bastion out of sentry mode on PTR, like how Reinhardt can charge him out. Punching Mei iceblocks might be an unexpected side effect.

If true, while I appreciate the consistency, I'm really not liking this new method of balancing characters by creating weird interactions between the low tiers. Mei cleansing Ana's nade with cryo is pretty unnecessary too, imo

Like, it's useful but there are so many other changes they could look at and they choose this?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sockser posted:

Did blizzard gently caress up the POTG algorithms with a recent patch? I’m seeing a lot of plays that are.... mediocre to bad while other people have quad kills and poo poo logged during the game

I had one recently on Mercy that was me popping valk, rezzing someone and healing a bit, then getting stuck on the wall for like a solid three or four seconds while trying to fly through the window on lijang to heal someone on the other side

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Reading the one trick arguments was insufferable enough in the tryhard thread, can we not repeat it here too

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just ran into a dude using an aimbot in quick play...except he chose symmetra of all characters. It was still incredibly obvious he was aimbotting, the kill cam had him jerking around snapping to targets so frantically I thought my fps had taken a hit until I realized what was going on.

I reported him after the game and it was quick play so it's not like there was SR at stake here but who aimbots with symmetra? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

got any sevens posted:

Good doomfists can practically shut down an entire team. Bad doomfists are invisible

got any sevens posted:

Good hanzos can practically shut down an entire team. Bad hanzos are invisible

got any sevens posted:

Good mccrees can practically shut down an entire team. Bad mccrees are invisible

got any sevens posted:

Good tracers can practically shut down an entire team. Bad tracers are invisible