Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

haven't had a chance to sit down and play my own copy yet but after playing some games on a friend's xbox last night, it's fascinating how much less frustrating PC open beta was. not even a kb+m versus controller thing, it's purely down to the extremely minor ability to dash off a message that says "hey maybe two widows and a hanzo isn't the best comp here." you can't even spam voice emotes or anything, it's horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Plz Zenyatta tips guys, I need them.

- if your orbs aren't both out you're messing up
- you don't have the same healing throughput as a mercy or lucio, but your burst capabilities are way higher to compensate.
- maybe don't play him in pub games
- definitely do not play against a good widow
- don't put the heal orb on reinhardt

what specifically is giving you problems?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

You're being a real Hanzo about this man.

You should be more like Zenyatta, he just goes with the flow, thats why I like him.

I mean at this point it's difficult to offer anything beyond "melt important targets with discord and your own solid DPS, heal people with harmony, pass through the iris to sustain a push/hold a point/heal through a DOT ult, Always Be Orbing" unless you can articulate how it is that you are failing to be useful

e: as someone said earlier, charging is useful if you expect someone around a corner or are peeking yourself, but left click is better for sustained dps

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Again, dataminers found voice lines where characters talk about someone invisible being nearby. These were from the same batch that also indicated that the new map would be a castle and there would be a Halloween event. We're 2 for 3 so far, which I wouldn't write off as meaningless.

This doesn't actually seem that clear? They all talk about noticing the enemy generally, no specific reference to invisibility. "I sense the presence of the enemy," stuff like that. Note that the same update also included a bunch of generic "Enemy detected" lines. Motion sensors, as someone suggested earlier, would also fit well with them.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

silver frame means level 1000+, right? because if so i just played a dude who was level 1187. 687 hours played. how is that even possible?

e: should clarify i'm baffled because his rank was like 2100.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

blizzard will try literally anything up to and including restructuring the game on a fundamental level in order to avoid the obvious thing a lot of their most vocal fans wanted, which was for overwatch lore to ever amount to anything more than a vaguely connected series of okay cgi trailers and bad comics, and honestly i respect it

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it's so funny they're entirely murdering overwatch 1 for this. hope the fan base that stuck with the dying game long after everyone else stopped playing enjoys having that game entirely remade in favor of something with, in orisa's case, very little resemblance (beyond, of course, those terrible legacy choices it would be too tough to fix, like her giant hitbox).

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

role queue didn't work because if people weren't playing the game how you wanted them to originally, they weren't going to do it after role queue, because the problem is they weren't playing the game you wanted them to in the first place because you don't know how to design that loving game. Role queue did what it was supposed to do, which was kill GOATS, but again, GOATS only happened because they couldn't figure out how to balance away from it in the first place.

It would've helped immensely if blizz ever had a clear vision of how the game should play, but I'm not sure they did.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

unfortunately OWL is very much more obviously the mistake than PvE, if you're working from day 1 with the benefit of hindsight, but you can't exactly just torch every contract there on a whim lol

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Macaluso posted:

League is a weird example considering they have multiple spinoff games, one of them a single player turn based RPG, and music videos, and a smash hit tv show that are born from the love of the characters and not wanting to play League of Legends that doesn't engage with the game at all.

lmao thinking about the relative viewership and mainstream crossover acceptance for the brand that OWL and arcane got for their respective devs is an extremely telling example. Blizzard, as the kids say, could never.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I dunno if OWL was a mistake they got rich people to plunk down tens of millions per team for what was at the time like the fourth most popular "competitive" multiplayer game.

Only ATVI's analysts can answer that one properly, I imagine, but from a brand and game health perspective, it's a massive time and attention sink. Means you have to devote significant continual dev time and attention to PvP balancing, and you have actual stakeholders like sponsors and team owners to get upset about everything from balance to game scheduling. It's a lot of moving parts on top of the game that have nothing to do with making the game play well and building a fan base, and they built it in as their #1 priority incredibly early on. Surely highly lucrative if you can walk that tightrope, but...

e: there's no possible one to one comparison between time and resources spent on OWL versus dev time on other things, and I don't think that's a worthwhile point anyways. I mean even on the level of questions like "what hero do we add next" or "what's our next rework," OWL adds a hundred different variables (and monied stakeholders) on top of existing complicated concerns about balance, player retention, the ever-elusive "fun," etc.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 8, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

maybe I am just mixing up fan desires with dev comments (also stopped playing before sigma even came out), but I feel like OW1 was perpetually moving away from hard counters and yet nothing really changed in that respect? it's hard to not have specific counters when e.g. reaper is just always going to be the guy with two shotguns, with all that implies for his range and damage output.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I'm not a particularly good player but I would guess that the fact pharah and roadhog were only meta a "few times" was because they're two of the heroes who are most directly and straightforwardly countered, since they have significant vulnerabilities easily exploited by a single player counterpicking (cowboy or really any hitscan at range for pharah, ana for hog) that are difficult to cover via team comp alone

Valentin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 16, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Wrecking Ball is...fine, I guess? pure generic deadpan killbot humor, hk-47 in two second soundbites or revenant without the over the top edginess. I don't recall that Hammond even has an identifiable personality that you can discern from the voice lines, aside from "likes fighting". it's the exact same gag across dozens of voice lines.

e: Winston is a waaaay better talking animal, and would be even if you ignore everything else and consider solely that Winston's VA is allowed to emote while Hammond gets a fake synthesized deadpan robot voice that delivers nearly every line in the same inflection. He also has literally the same backstory as Winston, except Winston then gets hooks to a bunch of other stuff in the setting and character relationships for his lines to build on while Hammond has a white board that says:

quote:

- Australia?
-

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 19, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

shoulda just let you stack heroes. everything's been downhill since they got rid of six monkey comp

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

wouldn't have chokepoint problems if you could still tell your team "let's all be gorillas" and leap to the point and throw down six shields at once.

not that that didn't have its own issues, but it's wild that the maps were designed with that kind of play in mind and never meaningfully altered afterwards.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

gundam confirmed for me that everyone who said overwatch would be more fun if everyone had stronger baseline dps and tank and support roles focused on utility rather than shields or in-combat healing was totally right. which i honestly didn't see coming because i liked OW tank and support. but dang if i'm not having more fun on sazabi than i ever did on any non-roadhog tank in OW1.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

stopping smurfing by limiting character access and making uhhhh the high skill ceiling ninja and the hitscan sniper two of your first unlocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

for apex caustic and mirage were locked on launch, the other heroes were all free.

if people aren't playing overwatch just because they see a random character and go "that looks cool" that is a different and even worse failure on Blizzard's part

anyways I think it's very funny they went to such lengths to try to preserve their role trinity shooter where everyone has a unique gun then the characters you get at the start are "most straightforward tank, most straightforward healer, basically every DPS character with a normal FPS weapon." what a boring introduction to the game!

e: also I never played when she was implemented but putting echo last when by all accounts she was frustratingly balanced when added is very funny too. Also it seems so obvious that they could easily have just been like "get a free hero token after 1/2/5...150" matches that I really do wonder how they arrived at the order and what it's supposed to do for them

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 30, 2022