Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

If you’re actually serious this is some child brain thinking.

Like the thought processes you’re displaying here are some genuinely low functioning intellect fumbling without an intrinsic theory of mind poo poo.

I don’t mean the tone, we’re all being Overwatch players here, I mean the way you appear to think, it’s either a great bit or just sad.

I guess it would be easier to hide my child brain if i just attacked people outright.

The question is: What makes overwatch different? What makes people want to queue for 20 minutes to play widow in this particular game while complaining the whole time? Why not play open queue? Why not play a game where everyone is hitscan?

headcase fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think the main flaw in your math is assuming half the player base actually want to play tank/support rather than being incentivised to do it by role queue. Me? I always liked those roles and ttypically play them in open queue without bothering to pick dps but im far from half the playerbase. I agree with your point that those people might be better off playing another game but sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a thing

I think there are a lot of people that want to play a less FPS focused team game. Some of those players want to play damage characters like junk and sym, and maybe others want to play hitscan type characters but don't mind their lot in life that non-aiming abilities and shields are part of the game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

we can just close the thread, the ultimate OW post has been made

I think it accurately sums up every problem and grievance with overwatch in the past 8 years.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

It does, but not in the way you think it does.

Let's see: Half the population wants one game, half the population wants a different game. Every compromise that blizzard has made hosed something up for half the population. What am i missing?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

I can't speak for everyone but for me the original draw of the game was the unique hero design with special abilities mixed with traditionally well-made shooter gameplay. However this just didn't pan out because only a fraction of the heroes are well-designed enough to not be actively frustrating to play in the same match with. Heroes like Reinhardt only serve to stall the match and prevent interesting things from happening. Roadhog presses 1 button and instantly kills you with his hook, even if you dodged or blocked it on your screen. Lucio and Mercy are terrible at fighting but they are obnoxiously slippery and thus awful to engage with a lot of heroes.

Its funny because the heroes and dynamics you mentioned are the sole reason I like Overwatch. Really, there are minority of characters that suffer. Widow, Soldier, and to a lesser extent Ashe and Tracer. Mcree is fine because he is a short range brawler with good shield break and the ultimate counterplay stun ability (His OW2 rework is dumb). The fact that Mercy can literally carry a game on her shoulders just by being unkillable is amazing.

OW2 is much more straightforward, and I don't see that as positive. Spewing various different colors of damage abilities down an open street with few shields, no crowd control, and very little cover was less fun. Overall the changes make a less dynamic, less complicated, less team focused game. It's really not interesting to me that a team won because one of their DPS has good mechanics.

I'm a little bitter I can never play OW1 again.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 22, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

cosmicjim posted:

I skipped 150 posts to say this:
The reason I'd rather play dps OW than valorant is because there's too much insta-death and too much random gun spray. It rewards slow play. It has too much downtime if you die.

Nice so you fall into the category of people that actually likes Overwatch and classes that increase TTK, and not the category that thinks snapping headshots is the only skill worth considering because its an FPS.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

All of the news the past few days is so gross. Feels bad after 25 years of various blizzard games taking more of my attention than pretty much any other media. I wonder what trajectory this is going to take. Obviously the model has proven to work for MOBAs and BRs that actually connect with people. After playing the beta, I don't think they are going to hit a home run on gameplay on day 1, and obviously queue times are going to be a deterrent. Maybe open queue gets more momentum and tanks get balanced for that (will there be open queue day 1?)

The saving grace could be that people add it to their rotation of F2Ps to keep up with for nostalgia reasons and new players find a chill and fun game that lasts 10-20 minutes and you get some satisfying feedback and a path to a few free unlocks.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

No, it's the most sane implementation everyone does it outside of dying or dead games like Starcraft 2 or chess. This was nonetheless controversial for a long time for reasons I don't really understand.

I am going to miss seeing people lose their poo poo over that magic number. Gamers are not equipped to handle real feedback.

I don't see why a chess rating would be bad for any game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

You are going to have to pay big bucks to unlock a classic junkrat model.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

the changes to competitive are good, gamers in general lack both the critical thinking abilities and emotional maturity to deal with real ELO/MMR systems like chess

Now they are just going to complain that the engine is conspiring to hold them back by artificially making them lose half their games.

In all honesty, it will feel good to have some room to climb a bit every season after being set back.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't get the 7 wins or 20 losses thing. Why not just a fixed 10 game review?

e: it also seems pretty easy to mentally convert "plat 1" to "2500-2599"

headcase fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 29, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

dodges the 'they're trying to force a 50:50 winrate' stuff and also it will reshape where the boundaries for divisions are relative to player skill, which (at least in popular games) tends to incentivize people to push harder to hit new ranks that they haven't previously hit. Particularly late in a season when there likely will be rank inflation or w/e. also more directly: It's a lot of games to move up or down a tier since 7 wins is going to average out to like 12-15 games played and 20 losses is going to be ~25 games played in practice.

OK I'm starting to get it. So generally you will only see the 7 win updates unless you are on a really bad streak and then you will occasionally see the 20 loss one before another 7 win update.

e: ^^^ Im guessing that is 1 player in a custom game with a bunch of bots and he chose junkrat

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

is my pile of OW1 coins going to do anything in OW2?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Don't worry. I am going to drop the hottest takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I would never support this lovely and predatory monetization model, but I also don't really care if I miss some cosmetics. If the designers have incentive to lure in whales with good skins, and regular people can unlock some fun stuff for free, that seems fine. I think anything is fair in the world of cosmetic fluff. I hardly even see the skins in low graphics mode anyway.

I'm not even sure I want the content to go on for ever. I can hardly process all the sprays and icons I have. Eventually skins will be the same way. The amount of heros in LoL is absurd, for example. It eventually makes the game less fun. I'd rather have a perfectly honed game with complex counterplay and every hero has a nearly equal purpose depending on the map or what comp you want to run (and no new heros or maybe 1 a year).