Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Straight White Shark posted:

Guns blazing is probably not a big deal since she does about 1 or 2 DPS if she's more than six inches away, but they said the new mini missiles can be used while flying and firing so add those in and you're probably looking at a solid kill.

I dunno even at like 15 feet away the damage is noticeable. Watching it go up rapidly as you close in is going to be fun. I also like the idea of flying in an arc or S that is hard to hit or to flank in at someone who is distracted. It should be like a fighter jet sim if I'm imagining correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Montalvo posted:

I genuinely enjoy playing as Mercy and Lucio and those characters are the main reason I even purchased the game. There's dozens of us!!

likewise, exept Lucio, Zen, and Ana. Controlling the pace of the game with speed boost/ult and confirming kills with lucio is probably the most fun I have. Wallriding/booping isn't too bad either.

Hitscanning heads is probably the least fun thing to do in overwatch (and I swear I'm not too handicapped at it)

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

where are all you support mains in the qp games I join

MH, 3v3, and comp. The last thing I want to do with my time is watch a bunch of flanker ninjas running in opposite directions.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

the first and last thing you said directly contradict one another

I dunno. MH can actually help with that problem a bit. People generally embrace the comp they get and use their supports when they roll them. If there is a rein, that defines how people try to win. In QP everyone just wants to selfishly practice their genji skills.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

That sounds really deadly to flankers. Especially near walls. I still wish it was more of a Pharah counter, but maybe it will help with that too. At least you can fly at a Pharah while shooting now.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

So I guess you won't be able get to GM with mercy without tracking heads, reacting to situational info, and positioning.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

There are some things that help. Like:

Never let a shot go unchallenged -- always always make sure someone is counterbooping at the same time.
Don't time your boops wrong. It is possible.
Don't play keeper pingpong unless you have a guy that is going for the slam dunk down there. Shoot for the corners instead.
Don't play the ball across the field in your own half
Know when to come out as keeper
Cover your keeper when he goes to the side to clear
Wall ride back and forth so you are playing offense and defense
Don't clear it on the ground. You look up like 85 degrees to get a chip shot.

Beyond that it's just knowing the angles so you are standing in the right place and booping in the right direction.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think I'm going to use FFA to practice Tracer. My theory is that she is going to be the uncontested queen of that mode when things settle down. The hallways are made for her diving in and escaping. Getting to healthpacks at will. Blowing people up. If you really knew the map, you could be untouchable.

The biggest danger would be the usual junkrat traps and flashbangs, of which there will be many.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I had no idea that I could Mcree somewhat. I've won 3 FFAs with him without even an hour of QP on him. Most of that is skillless surprise FTH though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't have the composure to combine a flashbang with a headshot yet, but I'm going to try now that FFA exists.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It's just so satisfying to light up a mei with all of your ammo :(

edit: (while laughing maniacally)

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I still say make it so he can't take body shots. Only headshots and things that can't crit will hurt him. That would make for interesting gameplay and maybe make him less of a feeder.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah if you queued people into games one at a time like a coin sorter it would take for ever. I bet it just throws you at the most convenient one that has an average MMR closer to yours.

So maybe one game is forming with an average of 2000 and another has an average of 2500, the GM goes in the 2500 after 30 seconds of deliberation. Or if the 2000 just needs 1 person to get going, he might get nudged into that one.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't think bastion needs a crazy rework. He may be poo poo tier, but he serves kind of a cool strategic role. I think they should make him even better at erasing shields so that it's worth picking him just for shield denial. My less drastic rework would be:

1) half damage taken while self healing like roadhog. Also while ulting.
2) decrease sentry form damage by 30%, does double damage to shields.
3) Increase recon clip size.

Basically, make it so he wants to stand up and shoot heads except for when shield busting or maybe spraying down a skirmish area.

Bastions aren't as stationary as some make them out to be anyway. You should really be up and down all the time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I hope the mercy changes don't make her a requirement on all teams. I play all the other supports and I just don't like her or her new changes.

Sustaining your team with pretty constant reses is going to be something that bad people that die a lot want on their team. Its also going to be boring and tiring listening to people whine about your res decisions.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think hog feels pretty good. You just have to shoot twice sometimes. What works best is landing a RC then hook combo. Otherwise just shoot people that your teammates are shooting at like any other character. He can go on an absolute rampage in a big team fight.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The most fun scatter arrow idea I've heard is it projects a laser showing you the simpru geometry and that beam reflects off of 1 or 2 surfaces so you can perfectly line up a headshot or ricochet it at a mercy behind a rein shield.

Another idea is a stickybomb arrow that can do high damage to shields.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah, they released quick play win rates back in July. All were within a percentage point of 50% except for Eichenwalde (Attack 46.13%, Defense 53.87%) and Horizon (Attack 54.50%, Defense 45.50%). Curiously enough, those are also both post-release maps. So it wouldn't shock me if a similar imbalance exists on Junkertown.

Edit: It's certainly possible that Horizon and Junkertown normalize over the next couple of months without them touching the maps like they did Eichenwalde, but who the hell knows.

I wonder how different QP winrates are to Comp. It seems having 5 people practicing their ninja sniper skills and 1 healer complaining would have an effect on the rates.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I imagine people who whine about 2CP are DPS mains that feel like they should be able to go on covert mission and solo flank everyone, saving the day once again.

Really, breaking a tough choke point with team strategy and solid counter picks is fun.

Of course KOTH is the best mode though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The best thing I can say about new mercy is that I can play Zenyatta in peace and know I'll have 2 supports and a better team overall.

This is much more fun than having 4 DPS asking me to switch to old mercy so they can die on point and maybe win if they don't outbad the other team.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Maybe tune res down to a 1 minute cooldown and starts off on cooldown.

Slightly less realistic: Let her old the pistol and staff at the same time. The staff does both beams all the time, but the beams and gun are all at about 2/3 effectiveness.

I guess this would make her more zen like though. Res would still be really powerful.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Splashing nana juice on a corpse should prevent res. (and still blow the cooldown)

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Junkrat makes support positioning so much harder. I've been having trouble adapting to what should be safe vs where he can lob 2 consecutive mines or instatire or even just a lucky grenade bounce.

Maybe that's a good thing for the game. I dunno. I get really frustrated when they are good.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Clearly all the other supports need to be buffed so that they're equal to having an extra person too :colbert:

Ana's darts now pierce through people and get widow levels of headshot critical healing/damage.

Lucio's boop slams people into the wall like doomfist and his healing auras have an opposite effect on the enemy in terms of DOT/slow.

Zen's transcendence is now his E ability and his ult makes him grow huge pecs and his kick does 1000 damage on melee.

That would about even it up.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

There is no way that message gets through to the people that need to hear it.

Also, dino should make a video that actually says it word for word.

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 29, 2017

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I want it to fall over and pump out some ZZZs

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

That poo poo happens. Try flipping a coin 100 times and see how many tails you can string together in one run.

The difference in ability between 2500 and 2900 isn't enough change your win rate drastically, so you might be stuck down there until you string together a win streak.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

highmodulus posted:

Would like to start learning a second character that will be fun, and useful to a good team. Any suggestions?

Given your background and requirements: lucio!

Junkrat and DVA are also pretty good and fun right now if you want to get away from support.

The caveat with junkrat is it isn't a transferable skill, and his time in the spotlight is definitely going to dry up soon.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Happy Birthday
Merry Christmas
Happy Halloween
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINNNGGGGGGGG

Is the perfect loadout for a running rat session in front of the door.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I wonder what the "people who played last week" metric would look like. Probably less than 1 mil worldwide?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

That's an old AMA. I'm sure Horizon is up there for him too now.

I hate horizon so much, but I actually think Hanamura has made for some of the most nailbiting and interesting team battles I've been in.

OK of course it sucks if you are attacking as a bunch of genjus in QP. You probably aren't going to make much progress with a solo flank, but diving in as a team with a bunch of ults and maintaining on the point while people attack from all sides is really fun.

headcase fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 17, 2017

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

OxySnake posted:

But at the same time they left in Ults and Tanks in FFA DM and said "Naw these are fine."

You choose your character and all of them have strengths and weaknesses (like an ult that does absolutely nothing). In theory, you don't choose your map. It's easy to take them out of rotation.

if a zarya main wants to try her vs a bunch of mcrees, why not? It's a throwaway mode like CTF anyway.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've never tried it, but I bet Orisa could get in the top half on chateau by camping out near the elevated platform/jumpad.

Deploy shield up top.
spam at whoever you see
halt people off the map. Including anyone who tries to get behind your shield.

you could especially wreck people who try to use the jump pad

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

What part of her mobility are they nerfing?

The part during the res.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I still think there should be an obvious visceral feedback when you are hitting a someone at max range like a shower of sparks and an arc welder sound. I know there is a little bit of feed back now, but it's not enough when I'm trying to pay attention to the broader field.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It must be really annoying for you when moira has her weird mindfuck noises on you. I can't concentrate with either of her beams on me.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Similarly, Reaper's tele is a pain in the rear end. They can do better than that. It should at the very least prioritize the highest ground in LOS.

No, I don't want to go into a staight line at ground level in front of their bastion.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the hardest reaper teleports are those windows on the lijang gardens point

yeah, somehow it always catches that stupid boulder wayyy in the foreground.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ehud posted:

If you stop and think about it, it's really funny to be an adult and be mad about a video game.

Especially one that has a gorilla scientist and a DJ bard.

While this is true, it also really sucks when you decide to spend your precious hour and a half of free time playing a game that you enjoy and someone wastes 1/3 of it by intentially throwing/trolling and making the game unfun for 11 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I ran into a hog that refused to ever be the aggressor. He just trundled around saying hi and healing himself. He would just spam hi while a genji is wailing on him.

Then inevitably, someone would hear the commotion, try to capitalize and the hog will somehow get both kills.