Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Why doesn't Mei's beekeeper skin turn her frost stream into a swarm of bees? Come on Blizz, these are the important details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
And secondary fire not a bee stinger??

Of course this is a thing.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jeza posted:

Comp will show you what an effective team composition looks like

That's cute

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
  • Shooting Roadhog no longer builds ult charge for all heroes except enemy Roadhogs
  • Roadhog's hook cooldown reduced
  • Roadhog's M1 replaced with his "Hi" voice line

There I fixed Roadhog.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Games aiming at being an eSport should really consider separate 'pro' modes that have different mechanical requirements and/or balance. This works around the issue that design for a great competitive game sometimes conflicts with design for a game with mass appeal.

If you think about it, this sort of exists in many popular sports. Kids typically play on smaller fields with modified rules. Rec leagues also generally differ from their pro counterparts. This is especially true with contact sports like football and hockey. Adults playing organized football for fun are almost always playing some sort of flag football. Rec league hockey doesn't allow the same level of checking that you see in the NHL (and the more casual/lower skill the league, the more strict the rules and reffing related to checking become).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Manatee Cannon posted:

football works the same no matter what level you're playing it at; you don't have to relearn how to play the game when you go from amateur to professional football.

It doesn't though. Even college has different rules. At lower skill/competition levels there are even more differences (e.g. flag football). It doesn't harm the ability for casual players to spectate pro games.

In the hockey world there's roller hockey which is 4v4 on a smaller rink with no offsides or icing but it still feels like hockey and doesn't hinder players from following and appreciating the NHL.

I'm not suggesting any specific changes or even at what level the differences should take effect, but there is definitely a way to do it where the casual version is still unmistakably OW and doesn't worsen the spectator experience.

I assume most of us here are at least mid-core gamers, probably play comp and are focused on improving. We aren't the target demographic of multiple modes. Pretty much everyone playing OW right now came to this game as a gamer rather than a spectator. If the game truly blows up as an eSport there will be a lot of people interested in playing that were spectators first, many of whom have a much more casual gaming background. Having a version of the game that is accessible to this casual audience will help build long term interest in the game and increase the talent pool. Ideally you don't need mixed modes to accomplish this, but many people seem to think great eSport and accessibility are conflicting design goals.

I'm not saying this is a sure fire way to build a hugely popular eSport with longevity, but I do think some of you are too quick to write this off as something that could never work.

Finally, I was actually thinking more about Brood War than OW when I made my original post. The insane amount of mechanical practice it takes to get to the point where basic strategy even comes into play is IMO a big reason why competitive BW never took off in the West. When Remastered is released there are going to be a lot of people interested in ladder that never played competitively when they were younger that are going to 'nope' the gently caress out once they realize how much mechanical practice they need. If there was a mode with a few minor interface improvements, I could definitely get some gamer friends into it, but as-is there's no way. Just split waypoints with auto-mine and maybe MBS (not talking full SC2 level changes) would make the game so much more accessible without really changing how the game is played. Obviously OW's eSport issues are completely different than BW's, but I think BW is a good example of how multiple modes could help popularity.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's an additional barrier of entry for watching and understanding what's going on in the pro version, likewise for actually making the jump from one to the other, it's twice as much balance work, and most importantly, anyone with an ounce of fight in them will instinctively realize that being put in the kiddy pool balance mode is lame as hell. :v:

I was envisioning subtle tweaks to numbers or mechanical requirements that really shouldn't make spectating one mode or the other much different. If someone watches pro baseball there isn't really a barrier to spectating a little league game.

As far as going from kiddy mode to pro mode goes, you'd only be in kiddy mode by active decision and the differences would be crystal clear. When someone is ready to make the jump to pro mode they'd know exactly what to expect. It'd be like playing in a no-checking hockey league then moving up to a checking league.

Maybe it'd be too hard to do something like this with OW, but my thought was more that games with goals of becoming popular eSports should design for this from the get go. If done right concerns with maintaining two separate balances could be minimized (e.g. BW could have a more accessible version without having adjust any balance).

To be clear, for OW my worry is we're getting the kiddie version. That once the game matures we're not going to see the long term individual stars develop that drive a sports popularity.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Kai Tave posted:

The thing about different rulesets for comp and casual modes is it would mean anyone trying to go from casual to comp mode would need to essentially relearn huge chunks of the game. I can't imagine what a casual Brood War would look like that would prepare someone for playing Brood War For Real. And conversely nobody who plays comp Brood War is going to want to play a less challenging version thereof.

I mentioned this earlier, but in my eyes the non-pro mode for BW is simply a few interface tweaks: auto-mining maybe w/ split waypoints on the town halls, maybe MBS. The game still plays exactly the same. Everything you learn in this mode directly applies to the pro mode. Jumping to pro only involves additional mechanical practice. I also think these changes are minor enough to not be balance breaking. Going full SC2 (i.e. smart casting, entire army on 1 hotkey, smarter AI/pathing e.g. balled up armies) would be though.

Even with those changes, it would still take lots of practice to play well, but IMO it brings the barrier to entry down to a level that is more acceptable to US gamers. Yeah, people that currently play BW competitively would probably stick with the pro mode, but BW's issue in the US is hardly anyone plays competitively because it's not a rewarding experience unless you dedicate a poo poo ton of time to it. IMO that's a huge reason why pro BW never really took off here. Probably too late to add something like this that now (though the discussion is somewhat relevant again with the Remastered release looming), but had it been available 10+ years ago I think it would've helped with pro scene popularity.

As someone that played BW very competitively as a teenager, I am still extremely hesitant to pickup BW again to get my RTS fix despite preferring it to SC2. My hands hurt and I'm sweating just thinking about it.

The Blue Caboose posted:

CSGO has this. Casual mode in CSGO has a vastly different ruleset from competitive mode (and there used to even be some minor tweaks between valve competitive and esports modes, most notably timers).

Casual mode is 10v10 instead of 5v5, kill rewards are decreased and body armor is automatically given for free. This means that you can jump in and use whatever gun you want whenever. This also means that no one plays casual CSGO.
See this sounds like a poor implementation of pro/non-pro modes. 10v10 instead of 5v5 alone basically makes it a different game. I was thinking of much smaller differences between modes. I'll admit it's not clear to me exactly what a pro mode for OW (or an FPS in general) would entail.

BW's issue it only has a pro mode, while IMO one of SC2's issues is it doesn't have a pro mode. Based on the complaints I see with Blizz toning down high skill ceiling abilities, I think OW may be heading toward a similar no pro mode fate that doesn't allow for dominant superstars to emerge.

The Blue Caboose posted:

The appeal of esports in some sense is that its so much easier to get a pick up game and follow the same rules that the pros do! Sure, pickup basketball plays by some different rules, but that's because of material limitations, i.e. your local basketball court probably doesn't have a referee hanging out.

Why would you play half court pickup basketball when you have a dude in a striped shirt and a full court right there? One of the biggest advantages of eSports is the very small barrier to entry to competitive play.
I'd actually say that a vast majority of OW players are playing the equivalent to pick-up games of OW. That's what QP and Comp modes are. The equivalent to organized sports (i.e. rec leagues if you're an adult) is joining a team and doing scrims/tournaments. In OW there's only really a scene for that at the upper levels, so at least in some respects there's sports where it's easier to get into organized play (i.e. you can do it as a beginner) than it is to get into organized OW. For team sports, the difference between organized and pickup play (in my experience) has a lot to do with having two teams that consistently play together face off against each other, not just adding refs/clocks. It allows you to dive much deeper into team strategy and tactics. E.g. playing organized flag football in college allowed for much more complicated defensive schemes and offensive plays than I'd seen in pickup games, which gave me a deeper understanding of and appreciation for the sport.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Xaris posted:

I suppose best thing is just to start diving back into the game...

You nailed it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Manatee Cannon posted:

where are all you support mains in the qp games I join

Playing DPS.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Got the Zarya skin with one of my first boxes and turns out I have her anniversary dance as well. Guess I'm a Zarya main now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Whoever posted that you can flash bang a deflecting Genji by throwing it at his feet, thanks. FFA is now much more amusing. It seems like 90% of Genjis don't know this and are perfectly happy deflecting and walking right up to a McCree.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
She runs like a goober though

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How're they gonna add crossover skins without a Goliath DVa??

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Redundant posted:

Its amazing what a few months can do. Now people are saying hog is OK after playing with the changes for a while? Weird how that worked out...
I mean they buffed him after the Nerf everyone complained about.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
New Hero Sucks, Sheald With It

You're welcome

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That is some serious lordosis.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
All you need to know about graffiti Tracer is that she doesn't say "wanker". Punk is the clear choice here.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Wrecking Ball is gonna take the place of MEKA in my hero pool when it's released.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah the story isn't the strong point of the game
I mean, it's not even really part of the game at all except when Uprising/Archives is running.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are they gonna do that thing where you can't play Torbjorn in comp for another 2 weeks

Definitely

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Relevant content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp4cH7mb4X4

In Overwatch you bake a cake, in TF2 you mix together candy bars.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

This is quality content

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Probably not too many people doing placements right now. The matchmaker definitely tries to avoid mixing too many people doing placements with people that have already placed. Also a lot of people are trying out Apex right now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Berzerker posted:

KarQ is playtesting Baptiste on Twitch and he believes that you could do this. Or shoot Hanzo dragons through it or whatever else.

I thought Hanzo's ult couldn't be damage boosted anymore.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It's going to be a new game

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I believe Jeff has said doing the PvE events in Overwatch is hard and time consuming as the engine was built and optimized specifically for 6v6 PvP

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's what they get for running triple DPS with DVa as the only tank

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Iron Twinkie posted:

So whip shot... is her main healing ability.

The problem with this is it means she can't get her main healing going when you're in a shield war situation. This has always been an issue for her, but before it wasn't as big a deal because a) she was often a 3rd support, b) she had more utility outside of healing with her increased survivability and brawling, and c) with her old survivability it was easier and less risky to get into a position where you could trigger inspire when there was no safe inspire target around.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The problem with comp LFG is it was taken over by people that would boot (or request boots, if not the leader) players if they didn't have good stats, win rate in chosen role, or had too many hours on off-meta heros (or wouldn't make their profile public) in attempts to make the perfect team that will for sure climb. The type of people that are convinced they are only stuck at their current SR because they have bad luck with their teammates. It wasn't always like that, but that seemed to be the majority of who was left using LFG after a few months.

There was initially a lot of enthusiasm for the feature, as I believe the thought was if you get together a 2-2-2 team of team oriented players, you'll have better games and climbing will be easier. However, since your team gets matched up against other 6 stacks with the same mentality, you don't actually gain any edge, so you could still have lopsided games. I believe it was also possible for a 6 stack LFG group to be matched up with a traditional 6 stack of friends, which if true probably even put the LFG group at a disadvantage (6 strangers vs 6 people who have played together before). Also, no matter how well intentioned your teammates are, they are still around the same SR as your solo queue teammates, and thus make the same mistakes (just like you do). All that combined with the fact that teams would often disband after just 1 or 2 losses, and I think the overhead of trying to get an LFG group going didn't seem worth it to a lot of people.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 20, 2019

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Also, you don't want to create a situation where sitting back and trying to farm ult off shields without engaging might sometimes be considered a good play. That would lead to some boring game play.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ASenileAnimal posted:

his weapon is good too but its tough to find an opening where i can take a few potshots without jeopardizing the rest of my team.

You can actually fire his M1 without slowing down the M2 fire rate. So if you can position so that you can see your team and some enemies/shields, you can hold down both buttons and flick between friendlies and enemies. There's a rhythm to it, but it takes some practice.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Guigui posted:

Sometimes I miss playing as 'support torb' and his armor packs. I wonder what the game would look like now with role queue if you ciuld pick Old Torb as a support...

IIRC, armor pack Torb wasn't Support, he was Defense. Sym was the one that was originally a Support.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

having only one tank would make the game so much more toxic for the tank player, who now shoulders the burden of the most important role in the game alone

Counterpoint: they implemented 1-3-2 on live and it was the best version of OW we've ever seen.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Skull Servant posted:

1/3/2 might be healthier for gameplay, but it won't be as positive an experience for those who actually tank, for the most part.

The vast majority of tank pressure in 2-2-2 is on the main tank, not both tanks, so it's not like that's a huge change going to 1-3-2. All the tanks were also significantly buffed for 1-3-2 and were the longest queue time. They were pretty fun to play.

IME, in 2-2-2 there's actually the most pressure on DPS, and that's where a lot of toxicity is centered. As soon as there is the slightest inkling that a DPS isn't playing well or if a non-DPS gets a silver or gold damage medal (even if it's just one fight into the match and one of the DPS died early for whatever reason), people start chattering. If the other team isn't dying, the first assumption is always that it's the DPS' fault. Similarly, people will jump on healers as soon as anyone has a feeling that they aren't getting heals (without any regard for their positioning, or perhaps considering that there are no heals because the healers are getting doved/flanked every fight w/ no peel/help at all). Tanks are cut much more slack IME, and this is coming from someone who primarily plays tank and support in ranked.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Guigui posted:

I am surprised that the 2nd of the 2 support slots cannot flex between support and dps. To me, that slot could be used for a self sufficient / healing dps (such as Soldier, Mei, Bastion, old Torb) if the need for concentrated damage is required... The team would be greatly increasing their damage potential, yet need to be keenly aware that they could fold like a deck of cards if their only healer is focused....

That slot would just be a 3rd DPS slot 99% of the time as DPS players queue Support to avoid longer queue times.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
When I first started playing OW (probably over 3 years ago at this point) I hadn't played a competitive online FPS in over a decade (CS 1.6 days -- and now somehow all I play are online FPSs). My first season of comp I hovered around 900-1200 SR all season after dropping like a rock after initial placements. A season later, after spending much time practicing mechanics and working on game sense and positioning etc, I went from ~1k to mid gold in a single season maining Lucio of all heroes (hardly a hard carry hero) with a solid win rate. So at least anecdotally, once you're actually playing at a gold level, you shouldn't have too much trouble climbing out of bronze. While this was a while ago, if anything bronze was even worse back then because (as Ad by Khad mentioned) the player base was worse w.r.t. game sense/knowledge because the game was newer, and there was no 2-2-2, so team comps were a crap shoot.

I'd say ELO hell might exist to some extent, but it's probably only holding people back a few hundred SR, at most < 500. If you're stuck at mid-high bronze while playing enough games per season that you can't just chalk it up to variance, it's unlikely that you're actually playing at a gold level. When I drop even 200-300 SR due to a bad run, the games already start becoming noticeably easier. If you were 1k below your true rank that should feel like EZ Mode in a large majority of your games. The thought that you belong significantly higher may actually be inadvertently causing you to play worse as you may start trying to carry rather than playing smart when you're not actually good enough to pull that off.

Also, consider that players are at their rank for different reasons. Some might have above average mechanics for their rank but be lacking in game sense, some might have great game sense for their rank but be lacking in mechanics, some might be more balanced etc. So it may be possible some aspects of your game sense are much better than your SR (which is why your teammates seem brain dead sometimes), but other parts of your game (e.g. one or more of aim, movement, positioning, hero specific mechanics / ability usage, ult usage, teamwork/communication, other aspects of game sense etc) are lacking which is holding you back. However, if you're not aware that you yourself are constantly making mistakes, especially when rewatching your gameplay after the fact, that is a sign that you don't actually have a good handle on your own strengths and weaknesses and skill level, because even up to the very high ranks players are still making mistakes consistently. Ultimately, you need to identify what aspects of your game are your biggest holes and specifically practice at improving those areas (this may mean custom games, aim trainers, deathmatch, etc for non-game sense related skills), as this is all you really have control over.

Finally, if you're hoping that once you get out of bronze, or get to gold, or get to rank X, comp will turn into some grand mode where everyone is always playing smart and working well as a team and even losses are always fun, just quit now. Even at higher ranks, stomps where it feels like there's nothing one of the teams could do to win are common.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Guigui posted:

One of the things I think limits people in learning skills is the lack of being able to play on a team with grandmaster, or higher players - because in doing so, you will learn very quickly that your old habits are bad, and you will need to adopt new ones.

There's an interesting video by Jayne where he is reviewing a platinum Zenyatta. At some point, the Zen comes face to dace with a hanzo. They duke it out for about 6 hanzo shots before the Hanzo is pressured to retreat. Jayne then pointed out, that a grandmaster hanzo would have headshotted the Zen immediately - punishing that Zen for being in a bad position. However, in that skill level, juking it out might work, so the Zen may learn some bad habits, that they then have to relearn when going up to the next level.

It's one of the reasons it's funny when people think they'd be having more fun if only they were higher rank and therefore had better/smarter teammates. As you go up in rank, players get better and better at punishing every little mistake you make. What would actually happen if you magically jumped rank is you'd get punished for all the things you didn't even realize you were getting away with at your current rank, which is why you're around your current rank, and it would feel quite oppressive and unfun as you dropped hard in SR.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

drrockso20 posted:

If I ever do Comp again it's only going to be with a pre-made full team of six where everyone has a mic
The problem with this approach is then you get matched against other six stacks that stomp you repeatedly and then you and your friends end up hating each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
RIP the tryhard thread. We are all tryhards now.