Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Father Wendigo posted:

Has anyone checked to confirm what Geoff thinks CC stands for? There might be a slight communication breakdown thanks to Geoff's notorious dislike of candy corn.

Yknow I thought this too, but there's currently a tank being tested in the alpha client that's a large piece of candycorn riding in an eight-legged pumpkin, so whatever he thinks it is, it isn't that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

headcase posted:

Yeah I'm really not sure I can enjoy it. I love Overwatch because of all the things that FPSers hate. I want to play a fast team game where rein exists and I want to try to defeat a tough choke point with team play. I want tanks and healers and don't really care if the DPS role is there or not.

Violet doing peak brig was the best part of the game.

You and I have different idea of what we want from an fps, but yeah that's not in any way wrong at all and if anything, that's explicitly what the game always sold itself as and was designed from the ground up to be. In a vaccuum I'd rather dance around a tree or a rock as cover in an FPS than a shield, but that also doesn't mean that the shield stuff can't be interesting or done in a way that doesn't just feel like 25 minutes of shooting barriers. The current direction feels a lot like they just threw their hands up in the air and just audibled in an entirely different direction. IDK how this works when OW maps just look and play nothing whatsoever like maps for games where you can't compensate for the parking lot smooth objectives by throwing barriers everywhere

Sakara123 posted:

The size is only part of the problem as well. Between latency and hitboxes the larger characters have a tendency to get tagged close to corners and barriers when there's absolutely no reason for it.

It's going to be interesting to see how they go with map design though, some of them are notoriously bad for being unpleasant without barriers.

An orbital cargo vessel carrying 65 billion 1.5 meter cubic crates was blown up in low orbit and they are now everywhere. yeah idk

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Arzachel posted:

I don't recall the game being sold as "first person wow arena" :v:

Lmao someone told me about the years of the wow pvp pillar meta and I still struggle to believe that was a real thing that happened for that long.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm still cracking up at Orisa getting a spinning cane and whoever tf came up with that idea

headcase posted:

I still want a hero with a real ironsight rifle like COD2. Ashe's feels more like a scope. I want very fast scoping with very little zoom and FOV change and you actually the use the sight on the gun illustration to line things up. Feels better to me.

New map: Stalingrad

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Crowd Control, meaning stuns/slows or other movement impairing effects. They're widely hated by the community, but they're also kind of unavoidable because OW uses instant acceleration movement and tiny hitboxes so without them a lot of stuff would just never die.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 21, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Man all this looks awful. If all you wanted Was Pure Shootman why not play something that has better shooting instead of gutting everything remotely interesting.

That's basically what happened between Valorant and Apex and I definitely wonder about the wisdom of going after that section of the playerbase instead of the people still enjoying the game. It's also Blizz's focus on the pro-scene coming out because pros have generally been the loudest voices about not adding CC and increasing the lethality/decreasing healing and generally just minimizing the extent that the game is decided by ultimates. That said, a bunch of those pros are now competing in other games instead.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the wild creativity necessary to give an African character "spear, but futuristic", where do they come up with these original concepts

how many of the black characters have 'runs faster' or 'jumps higher' as part of their kit

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

Spector replied and said it should be the 27th. I think they’re gonna be generous with beta keys

they're desperate for users so yeah i'd expect them to be giving them to anyone at all interested

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
idk about you but i look forward to hearing grown rear end men have loving tantrums into voice chat again, my life really hasn't been complete without that for the last 3 years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i tried to watch an ow stream but i got bored after 10 minutes of queue

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's funny you say that cuz watching this it looks like it's been turned into something kind of valoranty, except with only abilities and super low cooldowns and no economy. The balance in general seems really all over the place, though tbf I have zero clue how you balance this either

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Splinter posted:

I don't think it's Valorant at all still. Valorant is very much closer to CS than OW. It's CS with abilities. OW2 is still very far from being like CS.

Hard to say exactly how OW2 will play as I don't think we're seeing what meta play will look like yet, but I don't think it's going to feel like Valorant.

you'll notice i put a whole pile of massive caveats on that statement. Call it what you will, they're clearly going for a punchier, much lower ttk, more conventional fps by removing barriers as much as possible and the meta of that is going to shake out into people playing positions in more conventional ways vs how the game played in barrierwatch. Which is very much how valorant plays: you have abilities that get you around some of the stalemates of tactical shooters. OW now has something similar, but the cooldowns are a lot lower/are infinite. idk how much it will look like valorant specifically, but idk what other game currently is filling that space of lower ttk FPS with powerful, low-cooldown abilities

like I don't disagree that 80% of valorants dna is csgo, but this is pretty unambiguously a step in that direction and blizzard has communicated as much in response to fans and pros asking for these changes for years now

for shits and giggles, turn down cooldowns in valorant to 3-8 seconds, give them unlimited uses, give weapons unlimited ammo and give it OW style spawns and I bet it plays fairly similarly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Just curious, how does ow2 still have big queues while even games that run 60 player strict-mmr based lobbies are able to fill lobbies in 30-90 seconds. Because 1) this is riduclous and 2) man it especially sucks to watch on stream, horribly and 3) it's really poo poo when an hour of time to play games results in 15 minutes of actual games.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
flex just means support 100% of the time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

for those unaware, the tank raidboss role has the highest queue times and support queues instantly

what are queue times by roll like in OW1 for comparison?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tbh i enjoyed the 4dps games, it felt a lot like ow2

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
After seeing the current state of OW2, I can very much believe the earlier leaks that blizz was completely at a loss for how to balance 5v5.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Marin Karin posted:

after playing both betas, gundam evolution clears this game

I've been hearing surprisingly legit things about this game. Beta was apparently very well received, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

do these priority passes not work?

Effectively not afaict, it was still a 10 minute queue, so I just stopped bothering to launch the game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Role queue hate is from people that are slampicking DPS.

I have played one single game as dps and role queue is stupid as poo poo and was a terrible band aid solution to blizzard either not knowing how to or being unable to balance their game.

back when i played each separate role to diamond it was still stupid as poo poo and the product of blizzard being unable or unwilling to balance OW1.

My #1 issue is that I don't want to spend 10 loving minutes in a menu between games or be forced to heal 100% of the time. With how short matches are it's easy to spend 75% of your time in menus.

urea posted:

The queue problem, by definition, only affects the most popular roles, which the most people find fun. If everyone found every role equally fun, queues would be fast. Doing an activity you don't want to be doing is generally worse than just not doing it.

If playing a different game is a better choice than playing the game in a way which isn't fun or having to not play the game while trying to play the game, for most players of the game, then I consider the thing that causes that a bad feature.

I don't really get the tribalistic antagonism towards <role> mains. It's great that you like playing <unpopular role>, but if everyone else did, you'd have the same problem.

Yeah the solution is and has always been 'make support fun' and not add more and more layers of matchmaker mechanics and split the playerbase between different modes because making supports strong enough that people are fine playing them for a match is one change that blizzard simply refuses to make.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 1, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Tank and Healer queues are basically instant. Only DPS players have to wait so you're proving my point here.

You can also play Open Queue.

I don't play ow1 lol, have you experienced that games community?

Codependent Poster posted:

Open role still exists for people who don't like role queue

Unless I'm misremembering the timeline, didn't they only add this after everyone had already quit?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

So you're complaining about a feature that you're not forced to use in a video game that you don't play?

In your fantasy world maybe.

buddy there is like a single person in here talking about and playing anything other than the ow2 beta

this thread has had 10 pages of posts in the last week and the last 10 pages of posts before that take you back to may 2021

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 1, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah, that single person is basically the whole overwatch community at this point

source: this post from january

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I just want to not wait 10 minutes to play a 3 minute round of a game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Play support or stack up and you won't have this problem

i'd show you my profile of playing 95% support games, but alas no profiles in ow2.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Perhaps I'd like to play something not support and not wait 10 minutes, which is apparently forbidden matchmaking tech in 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Arzachel posted:

I don't like queues either but lets not act as if Blizzard wasn't constantly beefing up supports (and tanks) leading to fun stuff like goats, launch Brig and Baptiste. What changes are you proposing to make playing support more enjoyable?

I think they probably need to overhaul the roles beyond the scope of what they've currently done or would ever do. Fundamentally if roles are fun people will play them and want to play them and that's the absolute core issue that they have never figured out a way to resolve in 6 years. In competitive contexts that is skewed by people playing what will win over what is fun, but that's where active, regular, and proactive balancing comes in. Limiting roles removes a ton of the potential for game-breaking strong combinations of characters so it should free some player power cap and, as would follow, making the solo tank more powerful (eg fun to play) made more people want to play tank. Meanwhile supports have been unfun from the perspective of 90% of the playerbase for years now and afaik support power has only trended downwards over the last few years since it's peak around the time of brig/bap's introduction.

There are other things they could do beyond just making supports more powerful (and imo the direction to go there is make them more lethal and not to crank up the healing). Adding new supports would be a huge deal. They haven't added a support since March 2019. Beyond/failing that, they need to be proactively cranking the power level around until they find something that people actually want to play. What they have currently clearly is not it. Personally I'd love if they made supports more mobile and made that a core part of the role, particularly since the main target of most team fights is the supports, but that's also my personal bias towards finding mobility extremely fun in FPS games coming out. It's also a way of making weaker characters feel better, but don't tell blizzard that. Zen and anna's hopping back to their teams from spawn getting hacked and one clipped by sombras is definitely encouraging more people to queue up support.

There's an added level of balance complexity because cranking up damage class DPS to deal with tank EHP just makes supports feel even worse to play, but also not much has really been tried here. Especially not after the introduction of role queue. As with the above, much of the answer here is to just regularly iterate on balance vs 6 month mega balance shakeups.

anyways my thoughts on ow2 are mostly summed up well in the Dunkey review of the OW2 beta. I think he's right that you can't take characters and maps designed for a dual tank 6v6 game mode and just use them in single tank 5v5 without pretty much top-to-bottom overhauls. 5v5 has only exacerbated the existing balance issues, though currently that's masked by the game at least feeling fresh to play.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 1, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Like, my suggestion was half jokey, but back when I played OW I only ever wanted to play Roadhog so this kind of thing might genuinely work. For me, at least.

this would be worth it purely to see overextending dps rage after you save them from their obviously suicidal over-extensions

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

imagine dungeons posted:

Pick flex queue get 3 minute queues. Or pick support or tank for similar queues. It’s loving straight up lies to claim 10min waits for either of those. Quit flying off the loving handle complaining about made up poo poo. There are plenty of real things to complain about that aren’t just a straw man.

tank queue, sunday afternoon, literally 20 minutes ago

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
from rn

in my experience, it was as low as ~5 minutes once, one was ~15 minutes (idk how long it was exactly, but it was so long I forgot I had even queued after alt-tabbing away 5-6 minutes in) and the rest have been 8 and change

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Moira is one of the only supports people seem to feel works in the current state of the game, likely because she has enough damage to dissuade flankers, good healing output and one of the best movement skills in the game. And people still largely aren't queuing to play her, so yeah, probably make her stronger (and at minimum raise other supports to something around her power/survivability level, too.

Arguably Ana works alright, but that's mostly her grenade being incredibly OP though she at least has good damage and healing output. Still, people aren't queuing support in significant numbers to play her either, so give her a boost, too.

Mercy is alright currently, too, but similar issue with people don't want to queue up to play mercy, so give her a boost. Same with lucio, make him a bit better until people are queuing in significant numbers to play supports.

tldr: if a game physically requires 4 people to pick support to start and that is by far the limiting factor on games starting, then supports need to feel good enough that people want to click the support button. god help anyone who then has to figure out how to balance that at a pro-level, too

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 2, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
my dream is moira, but with zens left click

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
current state of moira's fade is so drat good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

tanks and supports being very strong but players refusing to pick them was the central problem

the only way to fix this without role queue for more consistently fair games would have been to make tanks and supports worse or change every role to play like dps

supports were numerically strong because ow has insane health pools and high hps healing. supports also felt like poo poo the higher up you go on the ladder as the tracers and genjis and sombras and doomfists got better and better at just deleting them. Good at healing large health pools =/= feels good to play.

Imo tuning stuff by making heals stronger was a poor investment of character power wrt making characters that people wanted to play. That said, I also thought og lucio with weak but huge auras was by far the superior version of the character.

1-3-2 should be experimented with and is way closer to how people were playing the game on ow1 release than 1-2-2 or 2-2-2

yeah. also on that note, i think i played vastly more games with 3 or 4 dps than I did 2-2-2 or 3-3. Like probably fully 5 times more. Most of my time playing coordinated 2-2-2 or goats was playing on a team and that honestly had very little in common with how the game is generally played by 99% of the playerbase.

Minera posted:

tbh the worst part is, for the most part, the 5v5/1-2-2 team balance seems to be one of the few highly positive feedbacks I hear (aside from the queue times b/c now 40% of the player base has to play support when about 10% of it is actively willing to play it)

1-3-2 could have done so loving much for this game lol. game actively ruined by its shrinking elitist player base telling jeff "noooo we love 2-2-2 dont make any changes" haha

To this day I highly doubt that having 3 dps mains on dps was significantly lowering anyone's winrate versus forcing one of them to flex onto a role that they didn't normally play because some dude would threaten to int if we didn't get 2 tanks 2 supports. I'm also weird and went into most ow games expecting to play around whatever weird combination of stuff people picked and saw that as just a core part of the game. I had a bunch of games where 5 people said fuckit and locked dps and we ended up running 5dps 1 lucio and team fights were entirely winnable and only moreso once people had ults up.

I think there was a fundamental issue where almost zero people are playing actual organized team-style ow in comp or quickplay (outside of teams queuing together for practice or a warmup or whatever) and I don't think that they ever will be, either. It's pretty much an entirely separate game and outside of playing on a team or getting to extremely high rank, it doesn't even really have a lot of relevance to OW as people are actually playing it. 2-2-2 was doubly weird because it wasn't even the actual high-end meta, it was just something forced onto the game. Like I'm glad that 3-3 was ultimately put down because I like seeing hitscans get to play, but enforcing 2-2-2 was about as arbitrary as anything else. I also really enjoyed seeing the weirder comps that would get used situationally in OWL before role-lock.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 2, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

I mained support and placed gm like all seasons i solo queued and ana was basically a god and being lucio was extremely hard to kill

og lucio was way way way worse. When they tightened his aura they massively bumped the damage and projectile speed so that lucio could take duels and reddit on squishies

yeah i mean purely the auras, i preferred the weaker larger auras. current lucio projectile speed and movement is clearly better for everyone involved. og lucio's projectiles were so slow it was a bad joke

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
New Support Role: has the ability to 'reverse heal' your team mates that annoy you

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
genji has been trash for ages, doesn't mean people weren't still destroying supports with genjis every single day in gm for years now. being useless in the pro meta doesn't mean something isn't still able to terrorize people on the ladder. doomfist and sombra were the better examples there because of the lack of counter play for like 95% of the characters' existence

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's funny that fixing mystery heroes to x-y-z ratio would 'fix' mystery heroes occasionally generating insanely unbalanced team comps, but it would also get rid of like 90% of the charm of the mode, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
not tattoo thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

adhuin posted:

Come on. You can tell us which Overwatch hero you tattooed on your butt.

i had tracer's butt tattooed onto my butt obviously