Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i think one of the intractable problems of OW is that the playerbase hates the playerbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sockser posted:

I reinstalled TF2 a few days ago and it's been such a breath of fresh air to have flank paths to the point instead of a big dumb meatgrinder chokepoint

I was playing OW on a team and just walked away from the game when they released their like 16th chokepoint map

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Countblanc posted:

I think it's a feature, not bug situation because people who don't really have any interest in learning the game past a very basic level (which is a huge amount of OW's population) generally love choke points for the same reason people prefer defense to offense - you just shoot at there obvious game prescribed frag generator location and the kill feed lights up. This is honestly pretty true in TF2 too, the most popular maps there still have mondo chokes. Even the map often heralded as TF2's greatest, Badwater Basin, has tons of points in the map where there's no realistic way to approach the enemy kill blob other than head-on (though there's some points that are much better).

in theory I'd agree that a lot of people like chokepoints (or at least enjoy them from time to time), but that's anachronistic with designing a game to be specifically an esport with a deliberate development focus on the highest level of gameplay. I say in theory because even in spite of a lot of people enjoying chokepoint aspects in maps, man the maps in OW get almost universally panned on that specific point, even by people who otherwise enjoy the game. idk what it even is exactly, but they really missed the mark on maps and they took like three years to ever even acknowledge a bunch of the major issues with several of their maps.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

headcase posted:

I think there are 2 cohorts in this game.

~50% want to play a 3d, first person, team ability game. You can try to do the gun aiming thing if you want to, but you will be a bit handicapped for it. A lot of these people like playing support and tank.

~50% want to be an FPS god character in a game where they are well supported and have a tank to engage for them. In this game they get direct sight lines to the helpless enemy supports so they can make hero plays and all of their supporting cast can cheer them on. When a support starts winning duels in a way that doesn't involve headshots, "the game is broken."

Lets say the top cohort is split roughly evenly between roles, the second cohort is the one ruining the DPS queue.

Why not play valorant? Because it's it's a better ego stroke to be a ninja sniper in a world of mercies.

we can just close the thread, the ultimate OW post has been made

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
blizzard actually needs to tell one half to go pound sand and at least make a game that is consistently for one set of people since pleasing everyone is categorically not an option and efforts to do so just keep undermining the game itself and actually make the divide worse

also they're hosed for queue times as long as there are like 9 different modes that you can queue into without even getting into custom games or private matches

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

teagone posted:

Mystery heroes but you still role queue.

they should replace the main mode of the game with this

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's felt for a while like they're just emptying out the suggestion box from 2019 and doing the stuff now. idk how much of the current playerbase still cares about all the 'i just want to play a purer shooter' complaints that were major points of contention several years ago. almost everyone I know who still plays OW just seems to really like the asymmetrical hero design stuff

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they should have a popup box that minimizes the game when you click ult button while 3+ team mates are dead that asks you if you are sure you want to do this. it should take a couple seconds longer to close the popup than the time it would take the other team to kill you while alt-tabbed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

No Wave posted:

It looks nice but it kind of just feels like a mash up of other maps. Idk why they leaned away from the futuristic stuff so much with these newer european maps.

can't expense report a trip to europe if it's a future map

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah it's amazing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

headcase posted:

I am going to miss seeing people lose their poo poo over that magic number. Gamers are not equipped to handle real feedback.

I don't see why a chess rating would be bad for any game.

this is the best thing about really every mmr/elo system. they're incredibly good at evaluating how good someone is at winning. players are incredibly bad at evaluating how good they are at winning. the gap between the two is what we call the 'cope zone'

headcase posted:

Now they are just going to complain that the engine is conspiring to hold them back by artificially making them lose half their games.

In all honesty, it will feel good to have some room to climb a bit every season after being set back.

yeah it's not changing anything, buncha people still gonna be not the rank they believe they should be so there'll still be as much whining as ever. that said, imo it's good to rework mmr systems periodically because people generally like the chance to see how they do in a fresh system and it's an easy way to ditch all the bad feelings people have towards the old one.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 29, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

headcase posted:

I don't get the 7 wins or 20 losses thing. Why not just a fixed 10 game review?

e: it also seems pretty easy to mentally convert "plat 1" to "2500-2599"

dodges the 'they're trying to force a 50:50 winrate' stuff and also it will reshape where the boundaries for divisions are relative to player skill, which (at least in popular games) tends to incentivize people to push harder to hit new ranks that they haven't previously hit. Particularly late in a season when there likely will be rank inflation or w/e. also more directly: It's a lot of games to move up or down a tier since 7 wins is going to average out to like 12-15 games played and 20 losses is going to be ~25 games played in practice.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm sure it will be a good experience being a new player on widowmaker

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Valorant and Apex both launched with everything unlocked.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
oh yeah valorant launched with like 5 or 6 unlocked, then you got 2 unlocks very quickly and the unlocks after that were at normal pace, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Dinoflask back after a several year hiatus

https://youtu.be/q7RMtDpxtfw

holy poo poo good loving lord