Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cross-posting from the last thread: is ranked mode not in for release? I was under the impression it was set considering it was a disabled option in previous betas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Hanzo has lights on his shoes

I assumed Hanzo's legs were entirely bionic and the shoe-lights were just like Genji's armor-lights. Could be wrong but I mean, look at 'im.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Wait, TCJimbo plays Overwatch?

SHUT IT DOWN

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

The upside of free heroes is that you get a nice balance like in DOTA where it's reasonable to expect players to be flexible about what heroes they're willing to play, and you never end up in a situation where you don't have the resources needed to counter an enemy Bastion.

The downside? Well, if you remember how TF2 felt every time they patched a class with new items, it was pretty poo poo for a straight week (good luck finding players willing to not obsess over getting and using the new toys).

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

pakman posted:

I don't actually know, but it's still good advice, nonetheless.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Don't Play With TCJimbo

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm not hip with these things why do we hate this guy?

I played over a thousand hours of DOTA with a friend who took it pretty seriously and got legitimately angry when you played like piss. TCJimbo made me realize how much worse it could be!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Yesss. Meowmix is the friend I mentioned earlier in comparison to TCJimbo. I'll have to show him this, we can't wait to jump in to another fpsgame.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Just found out Torbjorn's "Don't get caught with your beard in the letterbox!" is actually a real Swedish saying (Skägget i brevlådan) which translates directly. Since it was already the best line in the entire game I didn't think it could get any better, but here we are.

edit: Quoting Reddit

Reddit posted:

It's actually a normal Swedish name. The origin is the two names Tor (Thor, as in the Norse god) and Björn (Bear, as in the animal). There are 23 732 men named Torbjörn in sweden as of 2015.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 23, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Axel Serenity posted:

There may be different balances for PC vs consoles. Symmetry's turrets are one item because of aim assist as an example

This doesn't make sense for PC users who use a gamepad (shame on them, but they exist!)

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

As a child I played I played countless hours of TFC. Yesterday I logged into TF2 to say goodbye to the game after our thousand+ hours together.

First server, hacker immediately snipes me through the world in the spawn room. He keeps changing his name to the other player's names to make it harder to kick him.

Second server, a hacking medic+heavy just sit on the cart laughing at anyone plinking away.

Not saying Overwatch is free of hackers, but that was just a terrible experience. At least TF2 gave my money back by selling my rarest hat. RIP TF2, you will be remembered fondly as I scream PUSH DA KART over the mic.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Starting to read through all the lore and every hero feels like classic Metzen. Ahh Blizzard:

Genji: Slacker who moped about after the Hanzo fight until Zenyatta was like 'hey it's ok to be half-bot'.
McCree: Badguy who was caught by Overwatch, but when Overwatch tore itself apart went 'nah I wouldn't want to fight against Overwatch'.
Pharah: Since Overwatch disbanded she couldn't join and instead got an exosuit from a security firm. What was she going to do in Overwatch if it didn't disband? Certainly not rain justice from above...
Reaper: "Real Name Unknown". What? It's Gabriel Reyes, haven't they been paying attention? In fact, this literally tells us nothing about Reaper's actual backstory.
Soldier 76: "Real Name Unknown". Have they not noticed that all of his tags mention John/Jack Morrison?
Tracer: Was 22 when she was a test pilot and put into the timestream. All I'm saying is maybe you don't get your youngest member to test new technology.
Bastion: Funny to read they were the main units of the Omnic war: hundreds of civilians mowed down by Bastion just like all the noobs. Also this suggests he's still got his original, death-to-humans programming which is dandy for a member of Overwatch.
Hanzo: Wait, didn't Genji's story explicitly state that Overwatch is an enemy of Hanzo's family?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Junkrat is younger than Tracer, which is sort of ridiculous. That said I didn't realize his partnership with Roadhog was an official 'he's my bodyguard' capacity, which cements him to always be Timon to Roadhog's Pumbaa in my mind.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

kaleedity posted:

the family/crime syndicate has booted both hanzo and genji out, genji for being a lazy jerkoff and hanzo for being :smith: after dealing with genji

Oh that really wasn't clear, the official page suggests Hanzo is still part of the syndicate and is the brother most-enthusiastic about being a crimelord.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

GlitchThief posted:

I haven't seen this much whinging about Blizzard writing since the D3 launch.

what else am I gonna do for the next three and a half hours?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

GlitchThief posted:

Masturbating to some Overwatch SFMs should get you through a couple minutes, at least.

Nah, way more fun to learn about the heroes and then bitch about Blizzard's dumb lore while I wait.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Atoramos posted:

Nah, way more fun to learn about the heroes and then bitch about Blizzard's dumb lore while I wait.

Next one I read: Mei is a climate scientist who couldn't figure out what was causing climate change. Apparently the climate problems severely worsened since Mei was frozen, which is funny because the temperate-climate maps certainly don't seem to be inhospitable wastelands...

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Torbjorn is literally a guy who's obsessed with building machines but is also super-paranoid about machines so looked pretty good when the whole Omnic thing happened.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Wait, the blue chick is literally 'corrupted' by Talon?

METZEN!!!!!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

deathmerc posted:

g2a.com if you like to gamble

This isn't correct in any way shape or form. Go buy it from Blizzard for $40 and you'll be paying less than G2A+Site fees

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

How did I never realize during beta that if you jump and use roadhog's hook, it pulls you to them instead of the other way around? That's fantastic.

This is a few pages back but as someone who plays a shitload of Roadhog, this is news to me. What if you jump and hook a flying D'va?

Something else not-well-known is that junkrat's ult can climb walls.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Dragongem posted:

I did poorly and it made me kind of salty though =(. Did they not reset MMRs? When I first played open beta I was doing really well at first but now I'm getting my butt kicked most of the time. I don't think I'm all that great (FPS isn't my thing) but I was kinda surprised.

It's the opposite: They did reset MMR, which means all the players better than you are right there with you at rank 0.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Also my wife chain-crashes after a bit of play with 'Rendering device has been lost', but she's running the same build I am with a 760. Latest drivers. Tried reinstalling Windows 10 last night, but no dice. She's pulling her hair out and I'm not sure what to suggest (I'll be getting a new card once the 1080's are actually available, so she can try swapping for my card then...)

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Check out the card/computer case and see if it is full of dust bunnies. If not, blast it with air anyway because unless you're running HEPA filtration and regularly clean it out there's gonna be dust. With a 760 that's a good amount of time if it's been untouched since installation, and if she's got any kind of pets it's probably all dusted up and unable to cool properly.

There's a possibility there's a driver issue or your PSU is being really strange but if her computer runs fine after being shut off for a bit and then stays fine until she's playing the game then it's almost certainly a heat issue causing the card to freak out. Did/does she get weird graphics glitches elsewhere? Unconstrained textures, weird shading and staticy poo poo, stuff like that.

Fully cleaned out the PC last night, along with a fresh Windows 10 install and yesterday's released drivers from Nvidia. She doesn't see any other graphics glitches, and has a fine time with every other game we play including Oculus games like Eve: Valkyrie. She tried playing on the lowest settings, still sees the problem. Is there a recommended lightweight app to log the GPU temperatures? Otherwise, I'm out of ideas and she's pulling her hair out.

This weekend a friend will be bringing up his extra 760 to try out for her, if it's the GPU malfunctioning. Otherwise I get a 1080 once they're actually available and she'll get the 780 currently in my dev machine. We were really hoping it would be resolved by release, but if anything it's gotten worse: It used to hard-lock and crash the game, but she could try and get back in and sometimes manage. Now it hardlocks her for long enough where she never makes it back in, and sometimes restarts the PC.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I think stuff like Rainmeter is good for that but a) I haven't used it in more than 10 years and b) I'm not sure about logging, just real time monitoring. However, if i doesn't glitch out while running stuff on the Rift then it almost certainly can't be heat since I'm almost positive OW is less intensive than Rift stuff by a substantial margin, not to mention OW is insanely well optimized (I was running it on my old starcraft 2-era machine with a solid 60+ fps albeit with low settings) for not-so-new hardware. I don't know offhand how to roll back a graphics driver install with the Geforce Experience software they use now but I'd give that a whirl, with a few other people seeing issues under the new drivers that might be it.

Nah, this issue was around when she first tried playing in Closed Beta, so she's seen it on numerous drivers now. And considering I'm playing on a computer with the same card in it, I'm super confused.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

I realized why McCree is so fail - he's the only cahracter in the game without any mobility abilties or self heals so to make up for it he has an instant 1v1 fight win button combo. He is a fraud, and his belt buckle is probably the worst art direction choice in the game. I have no respect for him

McCree is the second-most-picked hero in competitive games behind Lucio. His shift is a 'mobility ability', and the BAMF buckle is awesome. You have bad taste, sorry net cafe!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

fadam posted:

My favorite gunslingers from western movies all wore retarded Hot Topic accessories. I hope that in the Dark Tower movie Roland wears a F.B.I - Female Body Inspector shirt.

Settle down Beavis.

I mean Dark Tower has a different kinda feel than a game where the burning peg-leg man blows himself across a map to fight a moon-gorilla

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Ddraig posted:

So I actually lucked out and got the best Tracer skin right away

Since we're talking about annoyances with character design anyways, the goth skins for Tracer and Zarya feel 'meh' compared to the legendary skins other heroes get.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Hook is hitscan so he probably clicked on you right before you rounded the corner.

Almost certainly a combination of Hook (hitscan but will animate to hit you wherever you run) and the fact that Overwatch has a tick-rate of 20 while many games use a tick-rate of 60. The tick-rate issue results in a ton of 'On his screen he saw X, but I saw Y'!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Amd card on Windows 10? I had to do this recently

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

Nope, the 760's a Nvidia card. I've ran the game on it just fine for the longest time. I'm completely out of ideas other than 'weird driver issue Blizzard has to patch out' but since it's been going on for months I doubt that's the case. And since she runs Oculus Rift games, I don't think it's an overheating problem.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Limiting character choices reduces, rather than increases the variables. You got it exactly backwards.

Fighting 6 Meis in a zany game of "scramble to counter the gimmick comp" is infinitely more fun than having to fight a balanced coordinated team which really just means yet another round of "fail for 5 minutes break the Reinhardt/Bastion/Healer pile."

This is entirely correct. The game is intentionally balanced around swapping characters in a match, and you're expected to do so. The game is balanced enough where you can counter 6 meis or bastions or torbjorns just fine, and it's way more fun to allow such things. Sorry if you keep solo queuing and ending up with a ton of Hanzo, but if they were limited you'd end up with Widowmaker/Hanzo/Torbjorn/Bastion/Soldier/Reaper comps every game.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The point was that is specific to Anubis as the attackers have only 1 path they must go through in some manner, and 5 dwarfs can turn it into a shooting gallery while not being at risk of being sniped, reapered, or genji'd. It negates all fo the normal counters since you cannot outrange them, cannot get behind or flank them, and cannot adequately reflect back damage from 10 directions.

Lol. I would love to hear how a 5-Torbjorn group would deal with one or two widowmakers and a Reinhardt. There's a reason Blizzard isn't listening to these kinds of ideas.

Edit: Oh and Mei, pro pick against that comp!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Are you ready for some leet anti-Junkrat strats?

If you hear the super-loud and obvious ult, you move away from the rest of your team rather than staying grouped up.

Also, if you face a Bastion, try countering as Hanzo, Genji or Widowmaker.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Shadalator posted:

What are some awesome spots for Tolberones turrets? I know the moving environnents are good, any other primo tips? I like getting a boost from Mei at Temple Cap B. Got the chopper skin for him, so need to know this stuff.

Nepal - Sanctum: Any corner around the room is good.
Nepal - Shrine: Behind the pillar to the side of the shrine (the raised area between the two rooms)
Gibraltar Defense: There's a small spot on the tarp infront-and-above of the cart when defending Gibralter you can pop a turret on. You can put turrets up in the walkways of Hanger 18 (where the ship is) which can be quite effective.
King's Row Defense: Right behind the wall in-front of the attacker's spawn, or up high if Mei can help you get there.
Volskaya: Above both points, on either side can work wonders.

Volskaya & Route 66: Yea, using the moving platforms is good, and if you start far enough back you can continually send level-2 turrets their way. Even level 1 turrets over and over can be useful, especially when you're in a spot they can't get you.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

If you have no idea how to play Symmetra and are interested, the next time you're defending Hanamura go place your turrets behind the big, open door. Keep popping out from around the door to shoot charged-up M2's. Prepare to dominate.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I think Zenyatta left as-is, but with 200hp might be a reasonable change.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I still do well with Torb on many maps, some less reasonable than others. For some reason I always have success on Route 66 attacking as Torb. Similarly, I've found good spots on every Illios map, defense on Anubis, Gibraltar, and Dorado. If you can find a spot that's hard to snipe or rocket it can be pretty good. The most-typical way I see the turret dealt with is a Junkrat Ult which is fine by me as I can hear it coming and get away from my turret. The trick is understanding that Torb himself can be a beast, and as has already been mentioned Molten Core makes it all the better.

For example, if you go to the left on Illios: Well, there's a spot you can get to that overlooks your side of the point and can shoot down into the open house with the health pack. It's relatively hard for the enemy to snipe or rocket the turret without having already locked-down the control point.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

The Gate posted:

His orbs do 45 damage, which is actually pretty high, though, soooo.

Out of curiosity, how much damage does a fully-charged shot do? From what I understand it's less useful than using left-click, but I'm just curious how useless it is.

Also from what I understand, Symmetra's charged shot is better off spammed for ult charge, but when your TP is up it's ok to fully-charge it?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FordCQC posted:

These were not the results I expected when I loaded up the MasterOverwatch site:

Wait, what?

Does that mean I'm Rank 269 globally? 70% winrate after 82 games played? Isn't that ridiculous?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Bolow posted:

The same reason Junkrat doesn't have a spammable version of HOOLEY DOOLEY

But he does have a spammable 'BRRRRIIIIING' which is arguably better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

it's gonna go up 1%-per-day so see you guys after the election