Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I have found that it can be very frustrating playing the only support in a game. If you're playing Lucio and everyone else is playing offense characters badly, it's tough to really swing the game in your favor no matter how well you're playing. A good offense usually has more impact at the lower levels.

Edit: Also, try to find one or two people to queue up with. That'll break your losing streak.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The backlash on this feels overblown. There are something like 32 characters right now and will be 35 on Oct 4th so some sort of easing in or onboarding makes sense. "100 games to unlock them all" feels like too much but depending on how they do it that could be a new character every few games and might actually help new players ease into it. I had one friend who bounced off the game pretty hard because it was overwhelming trying to learn to play with and against so many characters at once so if they can keep the new players queued with each other for a few hours during the new player experience that would make them feel like they're having a chance to learn and improve for the first 10 matches.

Between that and the phone number thing hopefully it's a decent anti cheat incentive too. I'm stoked they are going to make people tie a phone number to the account although I'm surprised it's for more than competitive.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Countblanc posted:

like the most positive reporting ive seen in months has been "feature that was just leaked or announced is actually not as bad as it sounds!!"

Yeah this has been a rough rollout. They should have backpedalled a bit a year ago and changed to messaging and advertising to say this is not OW2, but OW2.0, a continuation of the same live service game with a new business model so we can justify continued development. They screwed themselves with the initial announcement and trying to call this a new game. It's just weird to see everyone so primed to hate every detail that comes out even when it's probably a decent compromise for a free to play title and maybe even healthier for the growth of the player base with some onboarding process.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mr. Locke posted:

Hindsight is showing that at this point they probably should have put some of the resources into keeping OW1 chugging along to keep some goodwill for the original game flowing while taking the time to make OW2 everything they said it would be, but the corporate overlords were never going to let that happen,
I would say with hindsight they should have never gone with the idea of a sequel to the multilayer but otherwise totally agree. They should have kept pushing out at least small content updates until they had a substantial thing to release for OW2 including the PvE stuff. I hope some day a retrospective comes out explaining how that got so bogged down in development hell. Seems like internally there was a real conflict for what direction the game should go in and that led to just nothing happening

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hope all your kids have cell #s and like their voice recorded by blizz

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some work around for family members or kids although most kids have phones these days and technically you have to be 13+ to play so Blizzard might just not care

I'm very happy the voice recording stuff is coming in. Playing in competitive with friends and listening to assholes saying rape threats with no consequences is brutal. "Just mute them" isn't good enough here in a team game. Hopefully this automatic transcription stuff leads to some well deserved bans.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Father Wendigo posted:

Can't wait to see Tracer and Lucio all kitted up in the next Call of Duty Shootermans, ooh rah!

I'm so disappointed in the current Lucio skins that I'd rather he just wore some tacticool gear.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The comp changes are interesting. It's kind of like perpetual placement matches where you get updates after a number of games instead of after every one. I think it'll be less of a mental punch in the face every game.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-review-in-progress/

"The original Overwatch changed the shape of the FPS genre in the years following its explosive release in 2016, before Fortnite and battle royales took over. Instead of synthesizing what made the original game enviable and revitalizing it, the sequel takes what was left and wraps it up in a monetization scheme that could finally kill it for good."

I know Blizzard is unpopular lately but some of the reporting on OW has been crazy. I have liked everything that has come out lately. The only minor quibble is the hero in the free track of the battle pass but two or three weeks in it'll probably be a non issue.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

adhuin posted:

Which of you guys wrote the article? Lol.

So roughly 30 minutes per level with Premium battle pass exp boost and ~40 minutes without it. = 40 hours to finish the premium battle pass each season. Or 4-5 hours per week. More if you only play on weekends poopsocking 8 hours a day, instead of playing 2 hours per day and more often.
Unlocking Kiriko would take about 35 hours for new people without Premium battlepass and finishing free battle pass would take 50-55 hours.

Note that these calculations are based on small anecdote by a single game journalists. He might be really fast about leveling or more likely be very incompetent as a player.

Even faster if you play with friends for the bonus XP.

That article just contradicts itself a lot of speculates on potential problems that don't currently exist. They seem to also resent the loss of all the CC so I automatically discount what they say about game balance. I'm so excited for one less tank/barrier spam and most of the CC gone. Finally the Mercy complaint makes no sense. It's not over complicating her, it's giving people and easier and reliable way to super jump.

I do think the missions could be an issue if they push people to play gimmicky to get them done but they all seem pretty straightforward and would just involve playing certain characters normally. There's nothing like "get 5 melee kills" or dumb stuff as far as I saw.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Good gameplay of the new support. I like this colorful map. So many little extra routes through buildings around the main path.

https://youtu.be/pEogu020fUg

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Macaluso posted:

Jesus god that sucks. I feel so bad for any brand new playrs. What absolute garbage.

I wouldn't be so against this system if it let you pick which hero you want to unlock, but being forced into characters like Soldier or Widowmaker first is just awful. People defending this change by saying it was too many heroes and thus overwhelming are insane to me. This system is just worse

The complaining over this is overblow. The unlock order more or less seems fine to me. You start with Soldier, Reaper, Torb, Pharah, Widow, and Tracer which is a good mix of playstyles then unlock a ninja soon after and continue unlocking new characters every few games. It seems like there's enough here for a new player to sink their teeth into without spending two hours reading 32 character descriptions and ability lists with zero context.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Arzachel posted:

If I pick up the game because Mei looks cool and then see that I need 70 games to even unlock her, I'm probably pressing alt f4. I'm not even against having beginner hero pools and unlocks, but not being at all able to pick who you're unlocking is dumb as hell.

Nobody is picking up the game because Mei looks cool! I agree a way to target heroes would be nice though but in the end around 100 quick play games to unlock 32 characters is way better than any other game on the market and only feels bad in comparison to OW1. New players will not have that experience to compare against.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

I was thinking other modern f2p examples like Valorant or Apex. Does Dota2 really have all characters unlocked for new players? League doesn't.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Valorant and Apex both launched with everything unlocked.

This is not true for Valorant and Apex has been so long maybe you're right but I've forgotten.

Eiba posted:

I picked up Overwatch because my friends were into it and so I looked over a few characters. I thought Bastion and Zenyatta looked like they'd be fun to play so I gave it a go.

If my friends were into Overwatch 2 I simply would not have bothered playing because I'd have to play characters that didn't look interesting to me.

Incidentally my friends seem to have lost all interest in Overwatch 2 after learning about the obnoxious monetization so I'll probably never play it and I'm just lurking in this thread to watch the trainwreck, but I did want to offer that perspective as a less hardcore player.

I appreciate your perspective. I know a friend of mine who tried to play Overwatch 4 years in bounced off hard. I bought him a copy and he just got frustrating with the amount of stuff being thrown at him. Would the new system have helped him ease into it and avoid hardcore choice paralysis? Maybe, maybe not. But Blizzard says they have some data behind what they're doing. Ultimately more people who get hooked on the game are more people playing and potentially buying the skins and crap so they have a vested interested in making that new player experience as good as possible and this is what they picked. In the end 100 quickplay games is about right. If the matchmaker works then you'll be unlocking the last of the heroes right as you unlock competitive mode.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 30, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Wrist Watch posted:

I literally started playing this game originally because Mei looked cool and her kit looked fun. This is a wild statement to make about a game where people only wanting to play a certain character became so prevalent the community has a derogatory nickname for people who do it.

It was a joke. I get that different people like different things. RIP ice demon. I'm not sad the freeze is going away.

Related to the previous discussion, in a world where the game had been free to play but Mei was not unlocked right away would this have kept you from playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Barreft posted:

I'm only here cause I can't believe there's actually a person defending the bullshit

Enjoy the game friend

Thanks, you too! I'm trying to look at it objectively rather than just be uncritically furious because Blizzard. If the new account restrictions can help deter or slow down cheating and smurfing while also providing a decent experience for actual new players that's a win in my book.