Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im not saying that it's a good thing it's hard/impossible to play past versions of games you like, but the idea that this is the first time this has ever happened is super wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
most mercy mains I've seen talk about the jump changes seem to agree that each revision has been better than the last, and also that they should have just not messed with it in the first place. i haven't put time into mercy since before Ana even existed so i can't comment but otherwise she seems basically the same.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Codependent Poster posted:

Aww now I just realized that in comp you can't get Hammond on the same team with JQ so we can't hear any dialogue between them.

Maybe it'll be in the game for no limits or MH.

there's definitely some queen/hamster dialogue, it's in various youtube compilations from the beta

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
soldier is funny because he's an old millennial and loves twitter and white claw

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Remove role queue but have the first person on each team to pick dps get a 6 hour ban

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"balance the game so whatever comp mostly works" is such a funny thing to say

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually really enjoyed playing support in OW2's beta, particularly bridgitte, mercy, and lucio. Not to discount the opinions of those who didn't, but I've just seen a lot of doom and gloom around it, saying you just die to dps constantly, and that really wasn't my experience at all.

Granted I haven't played OW1 since year one so I can't compare it to the modern OW1 experience, but I don't feel like I was dying more on support than other roles (even less in the case of mercy who can just elect to Not Die Forever a lot of the time) and my kits always felt very impactful.

I've been playing a lot of TF2 lately, often of community servers where people know how to shoot guns at heads, so maybe I'm just more okay with spending time in respawn than a lot of people

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh also, the support passive is insanely busted

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of evil science lady, has there been ant official news on if she'll have her debuff purge in live or is it back to the drawing board again?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah kiriko isn't a real person with a real history lol, they can write whatever they want

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it's a feature, not bug situation because people who don't really have any interest in learning the game past a very basic level (which is a huge amount of OW's population) generally love choke points for the same reason people prefer defense to offense - you just shoot at there obvious game prescribed frag generator location and the kill feed lights up. This is honestly pretty true in TF2 too, the most popular maps there still have mondo chokes. Even the map often heralded as TF2's greatest, Badwater Basin, has tons of points in the map where there's no realistic way to approach the enemy kill blob other than head-on (though there's some points that are much better).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
[me dying after landing two kunai bodyshots] nice i hardcountered that ana

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i feel like OW players have a really malleable definition of "hard counter".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ignis posted:

Preview of the patch notes for launch

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824005/

Most notably they seem to have added a global 30% refund (so now all characters can get up to 30% charge refunded when swapping, not just DPS), and a new passive exclusive to DPS to compensate for this (DPS now get a brief non-stackable speed/reload boost for 2.5 seconds after a kill). The rest is the same patch notes that leaked last week for OWL.

Whoa they actually did the ultimate passive thing I've mentioned

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My friend who played the beta with me and prefers high execution fast characters in basically every game specifically disliked her and Winston for being so effective against the type of character he likes for relatively less effort, otherwise idk. Her yellow mists look gross, I guess that's something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hypnolobster posted:

I was afraid they'd get rid of the support passive healing. That made Lucio even more fun than usual.

its a cool passive. somehow tanks have the only uncool passive now. it's good, but it isn't cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
here's my idea for the new tank passive - embiggen: you get all the current stuff but also every time you get a kill your model size increases by 1% for the rest of the game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
thats a weirdly aggressive way to word that

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Again, playing support in OW2's beta was way more fun than OW1 after the brief era where 4 tracers and 2 lucios wasn't uncommon in KotH. Its way more fun using my survival skills more often which the 1 tank game facilitates. I really don't think it's being "bent around dps"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This is a super pretty map, but OW's Overton 3 with putting tables and chairs all over the place to make combat arenas feel more like real spaces isn't something I really vibe with. I find I'm just constantly bumping into poo poo during firefights and it makes rooms way smaller than they look initially given the otherwise large layouts and high ceilings.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait are the new characters hidden behind the paid battle pass? Lol all this time I assumed it was at least the free one

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

The worst part of Battle Passes is that it adds a meta layer on top of your gaming sessions and you can't just fire up the game and play anymore because the game will constantly nag you about having to do paperwork between matches and jumping through hoops in the middle of matches and all of that poo poo just sours the whole experience, even if the game itself is otherwise fun.

Play this role/mode you don't care about 3 times today, Recruit! Don't want to fall behind the exp curve, do you?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

They're on the free track.

Ah ok good the way it was being discussed at the same time as buying the premiumn pass sort of blurred it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in conclusion, battle passes are a land of contrasts

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should 100% put driller in OW2 and let him go through walls

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
OW2 needs more interactions like the dwarves where they say poo poo like "about time, fat boy". enough wholesome friendly characters, make everyone salty and tired of each other's poo poo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
On the other hand he has 69420 HP now and your pocket ninja can just teleport to you after you leap

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Torb should get one referencing all those "dead torb and sentry gets 3 kills vids". Just have a sentry firing at targets off screen in the foreground and torb taking a dirt nap far in the background

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Holy gently caress lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Masking player retention brainworm behavior behind consumer friendly anti-cheating rhetoric is so morbid lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also incredible bad tummyfeels to find out that if you just bought OW1 6 years ago you'd have all this but now you're trapped in Engagement Hell for the next 60 hours while your OW1 friends who asked you to play can do whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lol a reviewer pointed out that you'll be grinding out about a hundred and fifty bucks at minimum wage to get those "free" heroes.

what does this mean exactly?
e: nevermind i missed the word "wage" somehow

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there has basically been no good news regarding OW2 in the wider gaming media. fewer characters than the expected 5, weird anti-consumer practices, questionable aesthetic decisions, articles about egregious team size and gameplay changes, arguments that there arent gameplay changes, etc.. basically nothing good has come out about the game all year that wasn't just actually playing the beta. which was fun! i loved playing the beta, it was a good time, and ultimately "game is fun to play" will trump the vast majority of things. but it's not at all hard to see why every single thing gets a more and more negative response when there's simply been nothing positive to talk about. like the most positive reporting ive seen in months has been "feature that was just leaked or announced is actually not as bad as it sounds!!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23857518/initializing-systems-updating-competitive-play-for-overwatch-2/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lmao you unlock the kiriko legendary skin 35 levels before kiriko herself, that's some wild brain manipulation

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's cooler to give the character a unique mechanic AND a theoretical higher ceiling to work towards than just making them into another boring projectile spam character

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It really feels like a spreadsheet toucher saw that players valued access to heroes very highly, noted most of the new cosmetics are very uninspired, and looked at Player Engagement Metrics in other battlepass games. And ultimately decided that restrictive character unlocks would be what kept people logged into the game for the most hours per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't see an option to preload OW2, just OW1 and the OW2 beta (which I still have installed). Is the latter what I need?