Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DrManiac posted:

How are you supposed to handle Anubis' temple on the attack? If the enemy has a decent composition and build their poo poo near the first two entrances there's nothing I can do to penetrate that killzone.

Switch to Zarya and soak up all that sweet sweet damage and then kill everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

There is also no water/pirate hero.

I want a pirate.

Torn is a pirate

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CJ posted:

They can't nerf McCree because Tracer is ridiculous. I liked him more in beta when his flashbang was shorter duration so you still needed snap aiming to get the right click off before the stun ended. Then they buffed the flashbang to make it more reliable at killing Tracer and now it's a free kill pretty much every time.

Buff Mcree because Jesus loving Christ playing against a good tracer is a goddamned nightmare

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grammaton posted:

Playing Symmetra is pretty challenging. If you can find just the right spot for the turrets she's amazing. On route 66 just around that first bend by the doorway is a sweet spot. They get blasted and don't know what's hitting them.

Any room with a health pack is usually a good choice for Symmetra turrets.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Widowmaker's "oh poo poo" close-range weapon shouldn't be any better than D.Va's or Mercy's pistols. Decent weapons but sufficiently outmatched that the smart move is going to be fleeing in most circumstances. It makes no sense balance-wise for her to be able to switch to a 130DPS assault rifle when enemies actually manage to get the drop on her.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ahhpple posted:

In combat she's outclassed at short range by characters like McCree and Reaper who can blow people up before they can react. At long range Widow will just outsnipe her. The wall has some good utility but is situational. Her ult can disable a whole team or deny an area but its better to disable people by killing them instead of freezing them.

Yeah but it's fun being a little poo poo, alternating between her E and shift abilities, occasionally sniping some people or throwing a giant freeze bomb onto the objective. I like fun.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Daric posted:

Ugh I just played a game as Lucio where I had over 3 minutes on the objective, the most objective kills and over 5,000 healing. Everyone voted for the enemy junk rat who did a bunch of damage.

The good news is those votes at the end are meaningless!

I always throw my vote to whoever played support unless there was one enemy who just killed me over and over.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

The turrets in this game would be fine if they didn't take so long to set up.

I don't really get this, it's really easy to get 6 turrets set up before the attacking team can even reach the first engagement, unless you're trying to set them up like directly outside their spawn

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ddraig posted:

If you're being steamrolled that hard a builder is not going to help. There's a few classes that can stop that momentum (Tanks are good at this, as is Junkrat) long enough for you to get entrenched again.

Yeah exactly, if the first point defense just collapses then I just switch to another class.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kris xK posted:

Playing as Mercy, 7k+ Healing, Rez 4 dudes on a contested point during overtime to go on to win the game.

loving Hanzo kills the other teams Hanzo with his ult and gets PoTG.

What the gently caress is it going to take Blizz?

Edit oops this isn't the whining thread but fuckit

The game's been out for a week.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jia posted:

What does that have to do with how bad the POTG algorithm is?

Kris xK posted:

While this is technically an accurate statement, it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

The fact that they haven't improved the potg algorithm, an incredibly trivial concern all things considered, has a great deal to do with the fact that the game is a week old.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jia posted:

It's cool how games spontaneously pop into existence on launch day.

Hmmm yes I'm sure potg was Item #1A on their list of development priorities, this is surely an enlightened view of the beta process. You've convinced me, gently caress blizzard and their fun game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kris xK posted:

You sure are taking this badly. Did a McCree bully you today or something?

Do I need to quote back your post to you where you're bitching about not getting a meaningless highlight at the end of a game? Who gives a poo poo about potg? You can watch your own play in your highlights, upload it to YouTube if you really care about other people seeing it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kris xK posted:

You clearly don't give a poo poo about PoTG. We get that load and clear. Which is why you vehemently defending its poo poo algorithm is so funny.

This is such a stupid derail but at no point did I defend the algorithm at all, let alone "vehemently." I'm sure improving the algorithm is on the long list of priorities that will be included numerous future patches.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

26 loot boxes in and I got the actual legendary skin I wanted for Lucio (Hippityhop) without having to pay for it :allears:

Thanks Blizzard!

The real difficulty starts when you have 1000 credits. Do I buy that skin, knowing that for certain it will drop from the next box if I do but it? Oh god

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashman posted:

Is there plans to add more game modes ? I'm having a blast with the game but the map selection and only having either koth or payload is starting to get a bit stale already.

I just wish there was better distribution in the map selections. There are maps that I forget even exist because I see them once every 50 games, then maps like Route 66 or Dorado that show up constantly.

Broken Cog posted:

My most played characters are Reinhardt and Lucio because no one else wants to play those classes, and Zenyatta is really frustrating to play after you reach a level where your opponents can actually aim.

Lucio and Rein are really fun to play though, so that's cool. It is annoying that there are certain characters I never get to try because someone always picks them and for team comp I feel like I should go with someone more useful.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

You'd get 500 credits back so its not that big of a deal. The odds of getting the legendary skin you actually want through RNG are fantastically low so just buy it.

FYI you only get 200 credits for a duplicate legendary skin.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

squidgee posted:

Junkrat totally owns, I can't believe I ignored his character so far. What a completely fun character (plus, grenade jumps!).

Yeah he's the best character because he's good at everything and easy to use.

Solumin posted:

Also how does Winston's shield actually work? I haven't played him at all, but every time one of them jumps towards me and drops a shield, my reaction is to just... walk inside the shield and keep shooting. I usually end up killing Winston unless he runs away.
Or if I'm far away, I'll shoot the shield a couple times and it'll go down, and then I'll start to shooting him instead.

The good Winston backs up when you walk inside his shield and zaps you from outside of it. It's basically a fixed (weaker) Rein shield for him/his teammates to use as cover, whether inside or outside of it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Asimo posted:

Unrelatedly, Widowmaker can go get hosed too. I admit I'm kinda biased against snipers in general but her rapid super-accurate hitscan instakills really really don't seem to fit the game's feel and flow at all. At least Hanzo and Pharah and Torb and most of the other long-range capable characters have to deal with firing arcs and travel time and such.

Agreed, I don't really see what she adds to the game other than making Rein basically mandatory on any maps with long sightlines. I think the game would play just as well without her at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think my favorite thing about this game is interrupting Pharah's ult with a Hanzo headshot. "JUSTICE RAINS FROM AB-......".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Goetta posted:

I like hooking a Reaper just when he starts his ult, preferably before he gets the first DIE all the way out.

Haha. It's all about interrupting the cheesy voice lines.

God I hate Reaper so much. I know the character design is supposed to be ironic or whatever, but I can't bring myself to even try him because his voice lines are so stupid.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

hes real fun and you are missing out

There are lots of fun characters though. I'm sure I'll get around to him eventually. Like when I get his white mariachi skin.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

I think someone said hanzo arrows take .5 seconds to charge? It feels hella slower than that, does it hit max damage before max arc?

After you posted this, I just happened to be watching a Hanzo stream where he was spamming arrows as the round start counter ticked down, and just from eye-balling it it definitely looked like 0.5 seconds for the full draw.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

I just googled it and furious Paul says 1.25 full draw. So now I'm not sure, when I get home I have to fart around in training.

Checking the wiki, it looks like 1.25 for a regular arrow but only 0.5 for either scatter or sonic.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

Is widow's charge time 1.5? Otherwise I'm going to lose my poo poo.

Also I learned yesterday she can just left click Winston in the face and win the fight.

Per the wiki, it's 1.4

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I heard that there's no OSX version of Overwatch because Apple dropped out of an agreement to port World of Warcraft to iOS. Is that really the case?

I read it's because Apple is like 3 versions behind in terms of OpenGL support because they're pushing their own proprietary graphics tech.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Someone Awful! posted:

thanks for the reinhardt tips! i think a lot of the problems i've been having has been team comps + playing with pubbies who are too dumb to stand behind the rectangle. i rarely play him when i'm rolling with goons cause there's always someone who's actually good with him and it's a lot of pressure :sweatdrop:

I find Mercy to be the most fun healer because I enjoy her mobility of being able to zoom all over the place, but I like that all the healers are good for different things! Zenyatta is also enjoyable but his relative lack of mobility compared to Lucio + Mercy and his baby HP leave me less inclined to play him with pubs. sometimes I try him when I'm rolling with goons and he plays really effectively though!

If you want to get a feel for how to play Rein, watch RenbotOW on twitch for a bit. It will give you a really good sense of when to drop shield, when to retreat, when to charge, when to ult. Those are really the areas that distinguish a good Rein from a bad. Also someone said don't flank with him, but there are definitely circumstances when he can be an effective flanker and catching most characters in a small side room with your hammer is a fight you'll usually win.

If your shield gets down to about 500 health, back off and let it regenerate. Corner peak with fire strike while it regenerates, or go grab a health pack (this is a good time to find squishies on the flank!).

I actually find that Rein is one of the easiest characters to carry pubs with even if your offensive party members suck. If no enemy bastion, use shield and fire strike to close distance, them hammer and charge away. If enemy bastion, then flank cause you're not going to close that distance. Enemy roadhogs are not really worth engaging unless you can hit them with fire strike and a charge before starting to hammer them

Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 3, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sade posted:

Don't remove any characters, don't nerf characters into uselessness, don't balance the game for people who refuse to learn to counter stuff that kills them. Thanks in advance, Blizzard.

Actually nerf the poo poo out of Widow. Every other character is fine.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Samara posted:

Maybe I am but this motherfucker is killing anything and everything that gets near him with basically any hero.

His Mccree is filthy.

Yesterday some unfortunate team of normal people got matched against his genji and he team killed all 6 of them like 4 times in a row on the way to a 34 kill streak that was only ended by the round ending. They couldn't even get out of spawn and he started holding back a bit because he kept saying "I feel like this is bullying". It was awesome.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I like solo queue because it lets me gently caress around without feeling bad. Sometimes I don't want to tryhard and just want to play chaos Rein suicide charging into the enemy and swinging my hammer around.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ularg posted:

How do you play Junkrat on KOTH maps?

Same way as on offense or defense, shoot grenades everywhere and take full advantage of the short cooldowns on your mine and trap

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My favorite thing about junkrat is that his mine can be thrown as an incredibly lethal grenade with pretty good range.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Plan Z posted:

Zarya is a loving monster once you get the hang of her.

And the sound of her fully-charged beam is AMAZING.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Torb is not really OP, he's just boring to play against, since any where from 30-100% of his damage is handled by the server. TeamFortress put the Engineer class in way back in the day so people on dial-up could help their team without having to aim. It's weird to see that class endure today.

The other thing about Torb is that, like I said, his counter is obviously a sniper, and I have never in my life been good at the role of a sniper, aside from a couple months in QuakeTF during high school when I was hyped up on Ritalin. So, I always avoid sniper classes at any cost.

Except that this game gives you multiple counters against them that aren't snipers. Genji owns the poo poo out of bastion. Torb's turrets are an especially easy target for Rein's fire strike. Junkrat can just bombard an area from outside line of sight. Mei can stick a wall in their face to let you flank their position. Etc etc etc

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is the other problem with Bastion. He may be easy to beat for some people but unless your entire team has learned how to do it, he's still going to make your life hell by demanding a lot of attention while fighting short-handed. I'd rather see Bastion removed than anything because he just takes that "one bad player can bring down the team" aspect of Overwatch and cranks it up to a billion.

There are the every once in a while game where your team is just so poo poo that they can't get past the first choke point, but on average bastions and torbs have not presented some insurmountable defense since the first couple days of release, at least in my games.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I lowered the value of my mouse the other night in this game and it felt Like cheating. I always thought it was better to have a super fast cursor in games like this, but after reading some things on the Internet saying I was wrong I gave it a shot! So, that being said, are there any other settings I can mess with in the game that'll give me a better experience? I think, for instance, I read somewhere about a streamer who plays with the graphics on "low" because I guess it somehow makes him more effective?

Seagull plays with all of his settings low to maximize his fps, there's no other special reason for it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I really hate Widowmaker. I look forward to the day when they turn her sniper weapon into bolt-action and gives her weapon sway for movement and taking damage. She is so incredibly hard to counter if the team she is on is at least half-way competent.

Seriously. I got one of her epic skins so I was like, guess I need to try her. My first game wit her I locked down volskaya A, got potg, didn't even come close to dying. Her clip size is absurd, you can see flankers coming so you can just body shot them once, zip away, body shot them again or unload your M1 into them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Imagined posted:

Man I don't know how people play this all day, every day. After about 5 matches I'm mentally exhausted and have to take a break, even if we won.

That's when I switch to Rein or Mercy or Lucio or Junkrat for a few rounds

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Why the gently caress does Genji interrupt anything you happen to be doing to put his sword away at the end of his ult

Why the gently caress does Genji cancel your loving reflect to put the sword away at the end of his ult

You can animation cancel out of the sheathing. Melee I think.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RugClockVexx posted:

Antagonize the gently caress out of them. I feel like she excels on maps with choke points (Hanamura defense is my favorite with her). I shield suicidal offensive heroes all the while holding choke points, popping shields, and lobbing M2 bombs. When it comes down to it, people will shoot you if you're shooting them, even if it means making you strong like the mountain.

Along this same idea, my friend and I have a ton of success running mei and zarya together. Between her E and shift, Mei has such great survivability that she can be really aggressive, and zarya loves aggressive teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

If Genji uses reflect then Bastion has to stop shooting which means your team can shoot him in the face. He's still a counter.

You also use that time when he's not shooting to close ground, then dash through him and M2. If you've softened him up even a little by corner peaking with M1 before that then you're probably going to kill him