Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The glow effects on certain things are far more prominent now. Reinhardt's firestrike does a cool red glow as it travels, and Zarya's weapons now glow purple pretty distinctly.

It's pretty cool.

e: As a proof of concept Lucioball is great, and I hope it's a teaser for some sort of feature like some sort of better custom game creator. It's still better than the previous brawls which were "All one/two heroes, reduced cooldowns"

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is an excellent series of what to look for to determine if someone's hacking.

Harder in Overwatch due to no spectating of the enemy, but still theoretically applies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQkJGc7APA

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zenyatta is a good pick because he is all in one. He heals, does damage and occasionally doubles up as a tank because literally nobody else will advance forward.

When Zenyatta is leading the charge because the tanks are too timid then there's something very wrong.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Macaluso posted:

KOTH picks can surprise you sometimes though!

I was like, there's no way. Widowmaker is going to contribute nothing. Ana is going to get killed constantly, easily. Tracer is going to get herself killed really easily too. This just seemed like a really unconventional team for KOTH. It turned out to be one of the easiest KOTH games I've experienced.

Tracer is really, really good at KOTH though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Otisburg posted:

i am mad; mad about computer game skins

furious

When you reframe the issue to not actually be what it's about, which is promoting gambling to literal children, then yes, it does sound quite ridiculous.

Well done.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

RBX posted:

Stop defending the lovely video game company

But companies have feelings too. Why you got to be mean to them?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When you're following the business practices of the crack dealer you probably don't have a leg to stand on from an ethical standpoint. I mean, they like to give out free samples too.

I guess I'm not really sure why people are batting for the multi-billion dollar conglomerate of Activision Blizzard. They're not your friends, even if Jeff Kaplan likes to pretend he is.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Help Im Alive posted:

I've never watched competitive Overwatch, who's the best

Is it South Korea

South Korea was never hugely into FPS games and don't really have the history that America/EU has with them, so they're at a slight disadvantage. They're still good, though!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Minrad posted:

nothing like seeing 2 blues and a purp skyrocket into an air and your summer games loot was the white item

then my friend gets flag mccree and my patriotism boner goes flatline, knowing i will never get that skin and become a true american hero

It also has the best gun in the entire game:

I'm somewhat sad it doesn't change the bullet sound to be that of a bald eagle shrieking.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FAUXTON posted:

Do they change some of the voice lines with the Olympics costumes or does Tracer normally yell "FALSE START!" after rewinding?

Tracer has a few new ones:

"Remember to stretch"
"Looks like I hit the wall

Those are the two I know of.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The actual situation was that one of the world's best widowmaker players was getting avoided by people, even in their bracket, and rather than that person thinking "Maybe I should play a less unfun class" or Blizzard thinking "Maybe we should look at this unfun class" they decided to remove a genuinely useful tool from the game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Or just have a separate queue for all those people who have somehow managed to be avoided by 90% of the playerbase they play with so they can stew in a hell of their own making.

The Low-Priority Queue is one of the best things ever introduced into competitive online games and more companies need to steal it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kerrrrrrr posted:

the avoid system was removed because it would have been an exponentially growing strain on the matchmaker to the point where everyone's queues would get longer and longer, and especially for groups trying to queue. it would eventually lead to 5 minute solo queue and like 10+ minutes for groups. nobody wants that.

it's just pure math and has nothing to do with why people hit the avoid button.

hurr durr widowmaker tho :widowsnypa:

I'd honestly rather have a 5 minute queue time if it means I can get in a team with people who play the objective, aren't abusive and actually think about things like team comp etc.

The system actually worked. Prior to the removal I was very careful to curate the experience I had, preferring players who were good, who communicated well, and actually seemed to understand that Overwatch is not a Team Deathmatch game, and avoided all the people who were abusive, didn't actually play the objective (idgaf if you're new to the game, the concept of 'stand on the point and kill people' isn't a difficult one) and were just generally a bad time to play with.

My queues actually did get longer, but it was a much more enjoyable experience as I didn't have to come across people who were making a conscious effort to throw games, or would spout racist poo poo non-stop etc.

Then Blizzard took that away and offered absolutely nothing in compensation for removing one of the actual best parts of the game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I've been out of the loop for a while, where can I go to read the whining of Genji mains following the changes?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tokubetsu posted:

whens a good time to go mercy over lucio?

When there's an obvious carry on your team and nobody else is doing much of any use.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mei has always been able to freeze Torbjorn turrets.

She's actually quite a good counter to Molten Core because of this.

Example A:

https://gfycat.com/FirstUnrulyAzurevase

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ana's grenade blocks healing from all sources so yes that is exactly what would happen.

Ana throwing her grenade into a graviton surge that Zen is blocking can counter the counter.