Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

goodness posted:

I haven't heard/read anything about this game. From the brief video I watched it seems like a TF2-like but with a refreshed roster/maps/etc.

Is this supposed to be really good?

After around four hours of early access beta I freed up around 150GB of HD space uninstalling the games I'll never touch again because someone finally made a Really Good FPS sometime this loving decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

biznatchio posted:

Sorry guys planning on buying loot boxes. Apparently they won't be for sale immediately.

*tearfully puts away wallet*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Adonis Gunther posted:

TF2 is a clusterfuck of what the gently caress. I tried to play it the other day to feed my need for overwatch and it was... just a mess.

Jastiger posted:

This so much. TF2 jumped the shark when they kept adding so much extra nonsense to make it "zany", and it ruined the game.

It was fantastic in its day. When you had a 12v12 of generally competent players like almost always happened on the LCs and Reddit servers it was fire. and then:

Poopy Joe was a Monkeynaut who tragically died in an explosion shortly after his rocket took off, due to a lack of Australium fuel. This was caused by Mann Co. in their unsuccessful attempt to rid themselves of weapons involved in a Senate investigation. Mann Co. took no blame for his death, and actually created commemorative plates that remembered Poopy Joe and America's dream of conquering space and Florida. These plates were actually hints of the then-upcoming WAR! Update, depicting the Eyelander, Equalizer and Buff Banner's bugle.

During the ARG leading up to Meet the Pyro, new information came to light concerning the death of Poopy Joe. According to leaked pages from Saxton Hale's Senate Hearing, Poopy Joe's rocket seems to have used a fuel source of solid australium. Saxton Hale was present at the launch facility when Poopy Joe and his rocket were prepared for launch to follow the successful launch of Vladimir Bananas. Hale stole the entire australium supply and replaced it with defective suitcase explosives. Once the rocket hit ignition phase, the entire bulk of suitcase bombs detonated simultaneously, causing the rocket to crash, killing Poopy Joe. Mann Co. then covered up the entire incident, denying all knowledge of it. The new Special Delivery map Doomsday has the player transport an Australium suitcase into Poopy Joe's rocket, re-enacting the piece of history. Unfortunately, the rocket crashes almost immediately to the tune of a warning bugle.

RIP tf2. You were the best part of the orange box. You don't owe anyone a drat thing. Rest easy, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XimRzoie80k

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
seriously have a rare mei skin that's the default with a red trucker cap.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

guys lets play this cool gamr tonight

sounds good! :hfive:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Until this game implements hats and hat economies it will pale in comparison to the great and mighty game known as TF2, sorry folks.

sure, okay!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zzulu posted:

loving americans and your loving timezones

loving americans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8Mnvdp6S0

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

All I'm reading is you being salty about my nuts and bolts swirling fedora wearing, gibbing into invisibility, backstabbing for full health Spy.

they make pills for that btw

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
side note: lol that Forbes is the grown-up video games journalism publication in 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Imagined posted:

My question is: does this happen because the people who suck get better that quickly, or because they just stop playing?

Yes

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Overwatch dropped while I was at work and my week long vacation started 45 minutes ago.

This...

this is living

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Try countering Bastion as Hanzo, Genji or Widowmaker

Except your team already has all 3 of them because they have a gravitational pull like the loving sun to the worst people on the team

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Emalde posted:

I suicide into junkrats ult as mercy to save my team every time.

it's never once been intentional :negative:

My favorite zenyatta play was hearing the rip tire come in through the right side door defending hanamura B, ulting, and bodyblocking it preserving the team defense with 90 seconds to go.

Its the only time I've used zen's ult worth a second squirt of piss :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dietrich posted:

Is there a site with these maps on it? Because this is pretty nice.

http://www.furiouspaul.com/overwatch/

(scroll down to Map Guides)

((they aren't all done yet))

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i feel like zenyatta gets much much better when your team realizes the big golden glowing floaty poo poo is a green light to do what would otherwise be some very dumb stuff

most times when you use his ult around randos though its like "oh, poo poo! zenyatta's doing something! ...lets stand back and see where he goes with this"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Finally got around to playing for the first time since official release.

Game is... good? It's good, I think.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
In my Actually First Round I broke up a Rein/Mercy/Bastion combo on the high ground of Route 66 as Junkrat solo while the rest of the team ate it and did not much.

Then when a buddy of mine asked how to counter bastion I told him to shoot Hanzo's scatter arrow at bation's feet to vape him with no chance to react. Bastion ceased to be a problem in that lobby. Then we won a couple times.

I realize this is generally an unorthodox thing to say on the internet but:

:siren:Y'all were right. I was wrong. Thank you for teaching me how to beat a scrubby character and get much marginally better at the game.:siren:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

LIVE FOOTAGE OF ME EATING HUMBLE PIE REGARDING MY BASTION OPINIONS

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Got junker D.VA and Ra Zenyatta. Feeling pretty consoled after losing purple hockey Lucio and Fremen Genji in the open beta.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Y'know what's fun? Playing Torbjorn, having a turret looking vaguely at the objective, dying with ult, respawning as the enemy team ticks up the objective and pressing Q and seeing that progress just STOP as you toddle on back to the point.

Y'know what's fun? Playing Torbjorn, getting hooked by Roadhog who thinks he can burst you even with your turret whittling him down, and right clicking on his head before he can left click on yours.

Y'know what's fun? Playing Tor

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

For real: what does commend do?

Gives you a button to press at the end of the game.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I hated playing Engineer in TF2 but Torbjorn owns and is a lot of fun

Don't babysit your turret though you dummy they're totally disposable, stick it somewhere to protect the objective and get out on the front lines murdering and armoring

Yeah, the trick to Torb is that he's an insane damage dealer who does that damage from two directions and the enemy can only focus on one. Also he makes Zenyatta as durable as an actual character :laugh:

Its not so great if you're playing against a.seagull, but you're not playing against a.seagull. You're playing Quick Play, and Torbjorn is hilariously stymieing to randos.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 25, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Facebook self selects and is different than a game platform. Racists can find racists and chill, but none racists don't tolerate it so the racists arent racist to their non racist friends.

what internet have you been on the last five years or so?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Are people generally in agreement that D.Va is bad or are some people just haters??

She's real fun to play, and I like her mech gimmick and jetpack.

D.Va : Tanks :: Zenyatta : Healers

very fun to play, anyone saying they're useless is being hyperbolic, but man does it ever bode ill when they're your only one of a thing your team needs very badly.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jejoma posted:

The range on the mech self-destruct seems just a tad hosed.

Part of the problem is if you're behind a lampost or something you wouldn't necessarily think would give you cover, it still blocks the damage of the explosion.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

anyone have roadhog tips? he's hilarious and I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I'm not entirely sure what exactly my job is during fights

You be a big bloated butthead who's easy to damage and farm ult off of, but pretty difficult to actually kill, and the instant an enemy puts a whisker out of position you hook them and burst them down with a primary fire/melee combo. Use your ult to get people off objectives, or push people outside your team's personal space.

He is by far the most passive tank imho. He's not bad, but every other tank centers an action or Does poo poo proactively and Roadhog is way more about waiting for the other team to make a mistake and spanking them for it.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 25, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

stop playing toblerone on offense your bastard!

I'll stop doing this three to five minutes after I'm fuckin dead irl

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If you aren't taking advantage of the goon discord you're a drat fool.

Losing with goons is more fun than winning with randos in quick play. At least goons play Overwatch and not the "instalock whatever regardless of whatever" game.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Crusher posted:

Is it purely an indicator of how much you're owning,

This. It subtly influences your priority in who gets voting cards and POTG too, but nothing that *really* matters

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Even if you're not playing in competitive-level events, some people have fun by being effective. If you look at Tracer and go "I LOVE PLUCKY FIGHTER PILOTS WITH A SCI-FI TWIST," that's fine but some of us were like "oh poo poo you mean I can play TF2 Scout but with even more insane bullshit? SIGN ME UP"

I dont understand people who pay at least 40 dollars on a PvP game where you play on a team of 5 other people against a team of 6 other people to complete an objective faster than they can using teamwork, and then act like wanting to win a few rounds every so often--or at least make it close--is some is some fussy particularity.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pakled posted:

Why do my teammates never get behind my shield and shoot at the enemy when I'm Reinhardt

Why do my teammates never try to kill the Tracer or Reaper that's constantly getting behind us and targeting me first when I'm Mercy

Why do my teammates never group up before charging headlong into enemy defenses

Why am I stuck playing tank or healer in 75% of the games I play

Get in the goon discord and most of this poo poo gets solved very quickly. It even makes playing obligatory tank/healer way more enjoyable because your group can be counted upon to do things for actual reasons which is not necessarily the case with a group of randos

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Countblanc posted:

first inhouse game was sloppy to set up but ultimately successful! more starting in 10 minutes, if you want to play join this discord!

https://discord.gg/012lgy1fB3hWyYmeP

i won't spam this thread after today but I wanted to get word out and things are messy rn

is there a skill expectation, or is the only expectation that one try? Try... "hard" if you will?

i like organized lobbies that get away from the Lets Pick Roadhog and D.Va Every Time And Never Switch No Matter WhatTM game as opposed to the Overwatch game which is much better imo, but my mechanics are... well there's lots of room to improve. which i'd like to do.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

It's v. chill, basically like playing in the lost continents except more structured.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Tonight I played Zarya for the first time since the game actually released (because the other times I played her didn't go so good)

I tried to get a lot more on-the-spot with using her barriers only after people started taking damage and holy poo poo is she ever the pick for comps that just pick whatever and then mash faces into places they do not belong.

Maybe you win, maybe you don't, but you do have fun and kill lots. You also really surprise Reinhardts who don't realize they just charged your beam up to 100 after hitting you twice with your bubble up.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bolivar posted:

But really, I'm starting to really like his gun in fights that are like 4 vs. 4 on a point. Usually the opponents totally ignore the dorf.

Its really fun watching the body language of attacking Reinhardts change as your alt fire bursts down their shield and they realize "oh poo poo, Torb does THAT much damage?!? what the gently caress..."

I actually, earnestly agree with this. Genji's primary is still pretty okay against bastion but its so funny just not firing when you hear the SHWINNNG of his block ability as he crabwalks back and forth in front of you like an expectant puppy waiting for you to kill yourself

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

If they don't want D.Va to deal more damage, just give her unrestricted flight (and maybe the ability to shoot). She'd still be fun as hell without being too good at killing. It'd also help make her ult more reliable.

The pyro should have a jetpack

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I am middling-to-bad so Mcree is a pretty great character for me

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
e; i have bad info

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

They specifically nerfed Mercy's damage boost so that didn't happen because it was nigh-required for every team to have a damage-boosted Widowmaker.

Yeah I checked the furious paul page immediately after posting and did a double take because i coulda sworn the damage boost was 50%. But it isn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm playing solo so it's just kind of weird

then loving stop it

https://discord.gg/0cI5KQgbeor6IF2f

If you can read this post theres a really easy way to avoid playing with randos who have never played a video game before