Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Would it be a bad thing if they buffed Winston's damage? Right now it takes him at least 4 seconds to kill any character that isn't Tracer at full health. And he just doesn't do very much without his ult if the opponent has an Ana. There's also factoring in his reload time, which is pretty dangerous for him. since his Jump will likely be on cooldown.

Considering that he's more or less hard countered by every other tank and Reaper, I feel like he needs more than just 'good Genji/Tracer killer and minesweeper'.
Winston does 60 dps and can burst 80 w/ melee and leap damage.

Assuming no healing, that's 3.33s to kill a 200 health target.
2s if you perfect melee (30 damage) and leap (50 damage).

That's really deadly against squishies for a character with such high mobility and survivability.

The only way you should buff winston damage is maybe make him ignore armor since he gets owned so hard by it (50% damage reduction).

Other ways to buff winston would be his survivability by reverting his shield health nerf or improving his leap cooldowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also don't buff junkrat ult. Buff his normal kit so he doesn't suck so much against players that can reaction dodge all his shots in his current incarnation.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

What are you supposed to even do as junkrat on open ground against some ranged dps at medium range? They can reaction dodge everything you shoot except sticky bomb. The optimal strategy seems to be to hide and/or find a way to get close.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

bounce some of your nades off the floor, it tends to make them a bit faster if you have the right angle ime
I messed with this in training mode and it's only a tiny bit faster and it makes it seem like they can just jump over it. In some situations it could help a bit. Edit: Maybe I'm doing this wrong? Is there a video of this?

They should buff junkrat by allowing him to grenade jump decently w/ his regular grenades. He should at least be able to compete w/ 76. Right now it's kind of pitiful how little of a boost you get.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 14, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

symmetra can laser chainsaw down fools all the way up in grandmaster tier

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's good overwatch shows you can have one of the most successful games of all time and get people to shell out tons of money without requiring pay to win

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

for those unaware, the tank raidboss role has the highest queue times and support queues instantly

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I have played one single game as dps and role queue is stupid as poo poo and was a terrible band aid solution to blizzard either not knowing how to or being unable to balance their game.

back when i played each separate role to diamond it was still stupid as poo poo and the product of blizzard being unable or unwilling to balance OW1.

My #1 issue is that I don't want to spend 10 loving minutes in a menu between games or be forced to heal 100% of the time. With how short matches are it's easy to spend 75% of your time in menus.

Yeah the solution is and has always been 'make support fun' and not add more and more layers of matchmaker mechanics and split the playerbase between different modes because making supports strong enough that people are fine playing them for a match is one change that blizzard simply refuses to make.
tanks and supports being very strong but players refusing to pick them was the central problem

the only way to fix this without role queue for more consistently fair games would have been to make tanks and supports worse or change every role to play like dps

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 2, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

from rn

in my experience, it was as low as ~5 minutes once, one was ~15 minutes (idk how long it was exactly, but it was so long I forgot I had even queued after alt-tabbing away 5-6 minutes in) and the rest have been 8 and change
tank was the instant queue role in ow1 and support had longer queue times

maybe they can fix support popularity who knows

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 2, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Supports were a mistake, anything below the baseline threat that Ana or Lucio present is entirely too weak to be in a shooter (and even Lucio should hurt more). The game is a decent shooter, mostly made worse by the idea of mandatory healing roles. Support should be mostly shooting with some clutch ult and the occasional save. Like Zarya. Murder murder murder muder bubble murder murder murder bubble.

Edit: And the original design around essentially 2-skill/3-skill heroes is silly, seeing as eventually they bend/break those rules anyway because they are too limiting. And the dozen autoaim mechanics.

I guess kind of OW could never decide if it wants to be a competitive shooter (nominally it does) or not (in effect it doesn't with every other autoaim/aoe heal etc it added during OW1).
bap and zen have tremendous damage and murder potential

moira is a strong 1v1 duelist and you can go 'reddit moira' on any isolated squishy

people like to bring up the halcyon tf2 days but for those unaware in games where people tried to win there was a required healer role more 1dimensional and unpopular than in ow

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 2, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

megane posted:

Another fun thing I remember was when Ashe came out, a lot of people were annoyed that we got a DPS character when they'd been clamoring for more tanks and supports. So the devs said "no, don't worry, we're going to add a ton of tanks and supports, this is just like a parting gift to the DPS since they won't get anything for a few years :)"

And then her cinematic introduced Echo as an obvious upcoming character, and some interviewer asked Jeff "what role is she going to be?" to which Jeff replied "hmm, I dunno, what role do you, the players, want her to be?", and the community's response was almost unilaterally "support please, god, anything but yet another loving DPS"
both echo and sojourn could have been slightly retooled to be zen style supports and it's hilarious what theyre doing with the role and character spread

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

1-3-2 should be experimented with and is way closer to how people were playing the game on ow1 release than 1-2-2 or 2-2-2

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ow1 winston and rein struck a really good balance and were really high skill chars

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I mained support and placed gm like all seasons i solo queued and ana was basically a god and being lucio was extremely hard to kill

og lucio was way way way worse. When they tightened his aura they massively bumped the damage and projectile speed so that lucio could take duels and reddit on squishies

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Honestly all the supports had pretty strong survivability except like zen high in the ladder

People dont like picking them bc most of the chars are under dps and ppl want to shootymans

They shouldve added zen style shootymans to heal

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jeff made a comment that people will pick the characters in dive in their plat games but that doesnt mean they were playing dive

The same was true in almost all gm games

The closest it really got to a support having no survivability was picking zen or playing a no escape support vs crazy doom rollout 1 tricks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sombra and genji werent deleting supports unless that support was zen or the stars aligned to dive the same target

Ladder games were weighted to make peeling easier than diving

Support chars are really powerful and survivable. Youre just wrong. What it boils down to is people prefer not to be a heal slut

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 2, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe if it helps visualization, ana with her tinyass hitbox and 100 hp self heal inside a lucio healing aura is a really steep cliff for a solo flanking genji or sombra

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

torb's turret is probably decent against genji/tracer flanks

torb's biggest sin is his design is kind of boring

they should make torb support but change his dps bro ability into some spammable support ability

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a consequence of the zero-inertia movement is that they had to make the hitboxes gigantic and invisible to compensate for how difficult it is to aim at ad strafing lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sigma toes

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

never tell rando teammates how to play the game and you will have a funner time guaranteed

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 3, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you can have a fun time on voice and make good important callouts, but you need a thick skin for the inevitable toxicity. this will apply to any competitive multiplayer game in existence

never focus on your teammate's bad plays, because you cannot meaningfully control it and everyone makes bad plays including yourself.

reasons never to tell a teammate how to play their character:
  • you could be telling someone to do something unfamiliar and outside their comfort zone
  • even if you're right, it doesn't matter because they could take it as a slight or opportunity to argue
  • you could actually be wrong and not realize it, especially if your teammate has more experience in that character at that level of play. overwatch is an extremely complicated game. for example, a plat d.va main is probably better at that role than a master widow main who almost has never played any tank character. the d.va main's eyes might roll out of their head at the helpful 'suggestions' that the widow main may ask of them.

reasons never to tell a teammate to change characters:
  • they might suck at the character you are asking them to switch to
  • they might be losing ult charge
  • the best character someone can pick is usually the characters they have a ton of hours on and not what's theoretically good. yes, the junkrat main really might be better at playing junkrat to fight the pharah comp than picking mccree if they're not switching.

however there are some safe team callouts you can make that is asking people to change their behavior you won't be flamed for:
  • regroup
  • push they're down 1-5 people
  • hey we have this proactive ult let's see if we can use it this team fight
  • save ults [in won team fight]
  • i cant heal you

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah also if you ask people to save ults, peel, regroup, whatever and people don't do it never get mad or flame anyone hope that's obvious

this is easy to do if you lower your expectations to at least theyre trying to play the game and not throwing. anything cool or synergistic or good that happens is a happy accident

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

im absolutely clueless on d.va and i have a ton of winston/reinhardt hours lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's possible sym received an overall buff with the changes...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

for reference, pharah rockets are 35m/s and soldier rockets are 50m/s

her ammo increase is strictly better in any situation there's not a barrier

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I would personally like to see symmetra portals behave like Portal portals but only for her and her right click/turrets and then balance her around that but :shrug:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

doubling the projectile speed to much faster than pharah rockets is a huge change and it might take a while to shake out how the balance chips fall

I suspect ground pharah might be severely underrated b/c it requires a lot of precision people haven't bothered to get good with to land ground rockets

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just giving symmetra's left and right click an additional heal and sticking her on support could be cool too

make her turrets heal too

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it looks like theyre trying to make symmetra more flexible at range with the tradeoff of losing point blank burst

maybe they have to amp up some other part of her kit to get the balance right, but 25 -> 50 proj speed dramatically changes the number of scenarios where you can trivially react to the orb to dodge it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

thats a bug, deploy time issue, or he was above the trap hitbox

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

max health buffs can make it really hard to balance the game b/c characters were initially carefully designed with specific health pools and defensive abilities (e.g. tracer/genji), so giving them this on a cooldown has potential for Dumb Stuff

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

why cant junkrat grenade jump yet after over 5 years or whatever lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

jeff [from the overwatch team] had to allegedly fight with the suits to not put new characters behind a paywall lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/poko/status/1548889491766620160

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you click past season top 500 dps leaderboards and assume the missing spots are because they were banned by automated cheat detection, the situation has been dire for years

it's like 10-20% banned every season of those that were able to do enough games with a leveled enough account to place at the end of the season

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also that's the state of every fps game right now afaik except maybe like valorant or games no one plays like bf2042

client-side cheat detection might just be an impossible problem to solve and your best hope is valve's attempt for server-side cheat detection pans out

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i will say the one thing overwatch does better than basically all other popular fps games right now except counter-strike is it has a replay system

most cheaters are absolutely terrible at hiding that they are cheating or don't care to hide it and their gameplay falls apart immediately upon scrutiny in a replay

for example, the only reason the #2 guy on cod: vanguard was caught blatantly walling was because he streamed himself cheating and his cheating or streaming software glitched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AhBBZn9bjs

if the game had a replay system, his gameplay probably falls apart as fast as it does in that ow youtube video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Arzachel posted:

It's not like anyone could tell the difference between a console player and someone aimbotting :v:
in warzone it is usually impossible to tell in the killcam if you got aimbotted down or rollered down lol