Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just had a crazy thought looking for recipes. Cookie dough is a type pastry dough. Different pie crusts are from different pastry doughs. Pie filling just has to be something you can fill the cavity of a pie with. So you could make a cookie pie crust with a cookie filling!

Or you could fill it with a traditional sweet pie filling. Or you could cook it and then fill it with ice cream. Or you could even fill it with cookie batter to create some sort of cookie cake pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
^^ Yes! My favorite Choc chip cookie recipe for this sort of thing is a Hershey's Blondie recipe. It comes out just like those giant, chewy, pizza-sized cookies that are decorated with frosting. It's pretty sweet so it makes a nice cheesecake bottom. Shortbread is also good crust material.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I like to make cookies. Brown the butter imo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I made chocolate chip cookies for the first time last weekend and they were delicious!!! Little wider and thinner than I expected though--to the point of a Thanks, Obama problem with dipping in the milk cup. :(

I want to make more for the family visit tomorrow but I'm not gonna have time to buy some molds to keep them from spreading out. Anyone have any suggestions for keeping them thicker and less wide? (besides less dough per cookie, anyway, which I'll resort to if need be)

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
Hmm, I think a bit more egg might work, because the egg proteins help to structure a cookie when it cooks, also possibly less butter because I have observed that the fattier a cookie gets the more it tends to flatten out and spread as the fat melts in the heat. I would recommend the former over the latter though, fat is basically a big part of the flavor of a good cookie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I made chocolate chip cookies for the first time last weekend and they were delicious!!! Little wider and thinner than I expected though--to the point of a Thanks, Obama problem with dipping in the milk cup. :(

I want to make more for the family visit tomorrow but I'm not gonna have time to buy some molds to keep them from spreading out. Anyone have any suggestions for keeping them thicker and less wide? (besides less dough per cookie, anyway, which I'll resort to if need be)

3 things that may help you with this particular problem but that are pretty important anyway in my opinion:

•Cream your butter and sugar longer than you think you need to. It's hard to overcream it. Try 8-10 minutes.
•Mix it just long enough to add in the flour. Don't mix it after all the flour is added except to fold in the chocolate chips
•Portion your dough (using a disher is ideal because you can get consistent size cookies which means consistent cooking) and then chill it before cooking.

edit: I would make sure to do all of this before adjusting the recipe. Your problem is most likely one of technique rather than a flaw in the recipe, given that you haven't made them before. Try, try, try again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 23, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you have an oven thermometer?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I seem to remember cookies made with shortening flatten less so swapping butter out for shortening ought to keep them a bit taller. I am not a good enough baker to say whether a partial swap would work, but my gut says maybe. I'd probably just use less dough per cookie.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe I want to add toasted pecans to. Can I just add a few ounces or do I need to sub out some chocolate for them?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

3 things that may help you with this particular problem but that are pretty important anyway in my opinion:

•Cream your butter and sugar longer than you think you need to. It's hard to overcream it. Try 8-10 minutes.
•Mix it just long enough to add in the flour. Don't mix it after all the flour is added except to fold in the chocolate chips
•Portion your dough (using a disher is ideal because you can get consistent size cookies which means consistent cooking) and then chill it before cooking.

edit: I would make sure to do all of this before adjusting the recipe. Your problem is most likely one of technique rather than a flaw in the recipe, given that you haven't made them before. Try, try, try again.

I will try all of this first tomorrow, thanks. The first two especially; I creamed the butter and sugar with my electric hand mixer for maybe two minutes, didn't think going any longer was necessary. Probably mixed too long while adding the flour too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Forgot to ask, is cookie dough ok in the fridge overnight or does it turn out better if chilled only for an hour or two then baked immediately?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Forgot to ask, is cookie dough ok in the fridge overnight or does it turn out better if chilled only for an hour or two then baked immediately?

It's actually better with an overnight chill. Just make sure it's tightly covered.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ciaphas posted:

On top of what FGR said please don't do what i did the first time. Portion out the cookies into balls and THEN chill them in the fridge. loving thing was like a bowl of concrete.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Croatoan posted:

On top of what FGR said please don't do what i did the first time. Portion out the cookies into balls and THEN chill them in the fridge. loving thing was like a bowl of concrete.

Whoof, good thing for me you posted that; I just finished the dough and put it in the fridge. I don't have enough cookie sheets to portion the whole batch out, though. Hmm.I lied, had a third one buried in a cabinet :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 24, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's actually better with an overnight chill. Just make sure it's tightly covered.

Why does it have to be covered?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It'll dry out the surface of the dough if you don't.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Weird, I just scooped and then left my cookies in the fridge tray and all and they turned out more or less fine. I'll try covering this weekend to see if it makes a big difference.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lesson learned: trying to cook too many cookie sheets at once such that the fit between two on one shelf is nearly airtight == massively burnt cookies.

RIP cookies, I was too impatient :(

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
I made some cookies:

Gingerbread goat, strawberry thumbprints, chocolate-cardamom vanilla pinwheel and macadamia white chocolate chips

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ookuwagata posted:

I made some cookies:

Gingerbread goat, strawberry thumbprints, chocolate-cardamom vanilla pinwheel and macadamia white chocolate chips

GOAT COOKIES!! Amazing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Made spumoni cookies, pfeffernusse, and cardamom-cinnamon cookies. They are good.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Only ended up making a small (macabre-looking) batch of gingerbread this year.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guys if my cookies are cold from being in the cargo hold of a plane or in the dead of winter etc, what's the best way to warm them up just a little to make them delicious again?

e: I won't have access to an oven, and even a microwave is iffy.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rub them together?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

But then the friction might catch them on fire, and nobody likes burnt cookies

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Put a bowl of water in the microwave, but the cookies around the bowl of water, microwave for 5-10 seconds at a time.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
One thing I suppose you could do is put the cookies in a plastic bag, then put them somewhere warm. If you have hot water from a sink use that, or you could hold them under your armpits for a while. Really though fire is the best non-electric option. Is there a reason you can't use fire?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

One thing I suppose you could do is put the cookies in a plastic bag, then put them somewhere warm. If you have hot water from a sink use that, or you could hold them under your armpits for a while. Really though fire is the best non-electric option. Is there a reason you can't use fire?

I'll be staying at a hotel. The room may or may not have a microwave, but certainly won't have an open fire or an oven.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

steam in the shower

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

steam in the shower

You can even multitask and get rid of the gross post-flying post-travel feeling of dirtiness and clean yourself at the same time. It's foolproof.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thanks guys you're the best

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You could also put the cookies on the coffeemaker or the iron, or use the hair dryer- most hotels have at least one of those. If there are none in the room you could ask to borrow an iron at the front desk and they'll probably oblige. Just don't tell anyone you're ironing cookies.

Edit: don't have the cookies in a plastic bag if you use any of these solutions. Use paper or tissues or something non melty to prevent crumbs.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 31, 2016

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Just tried making french macarons for the billionth time:

gently caress these dumb cookies :mad: the worst part is i have no idea what went wrong with this batch. I'm guessing the batter was overmixed?? but they were hollow so maybe undermixed???

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Antoine Silvere posted:

gently caress these dumb cookies :mad: the worst part is i have no idea what went wrong with this batch. I'm guessing the batter was overmixed?? but they were hollow so maybe undermixed???

Mail me the macaroons; make my mouth mirthful and merry!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Antoine Silvere posted:

I'm going to guess that you didn't overmix since they aren't flat/run into each other. I still get some hollow/cracked shells per batch, usually the ones closest to the edges of the pan. I also have a tendency to undermix, so they'll look perfect when they come out of the oven, but the interiors will be collapsed. Mixing the batter a little more helps. Also - BraveTart suggests adding a bit of oil to the almond meal before sifting it with the sugar (maybe 1/2 tsp or so per ounce of almond meal). I've done it my last couple of batches and it seems to help, the cookies come out a little chewier instead of drying out and cracking.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

cocoavalley posted:

I'm going to guess that you didn't overmix since they aren't flat/run into each other. I still get some hollow/cracked shells per batch, usually the ones closest to the edges of the pan. I also have a tendency to undermix, so they'll look perfect when they come out of the oven, but the interiors will be collapsed. Mixing the batter a little more helps. Also - BraveTart suggests adding a bit of oil to the almond meal before sifting it with the sugar (maybe 1/2 tsp or so per ounce of almond meal). I've done it my last couple of batches and it seems to help, the cookies come out a little chewier instead of drying out and cracking.

Thanks for the tips. I made another batch using the Italian meringue method and a small subset came out perfect, with the rest cracking but still being soft. I'm starting to think it's an issue with my oven :smith:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son is coeliac so I've been making gluten-free edibles. I thought that using tahini instead of peanut butter could work well and in the same way, and found a recipe that seemed to do what I was after. It did! I've made them twice. The degree of sesame flavour depends on the strength of the tahini. I'd use a bit less sugar, and I used plain GF flour and golden caster sugar. They are really excellent. Next time I'll try brown the butter -that sounds amazing.
http://glutenfreecrumbley.com/gluten-free-tahini-cookies/

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Crossposting. They don't look all that special but the taste is really good.

the littlest prince posted:

I made some chocolate chip cookies yesterday but forgot the chocolate chips. I'm not really sure what to call these things but apparently people really, really like them. I kind of get why, because they're really mellow, in the way that means you could just eat a million of them without ever tiring of them. Anyway, here they are.

[SQUARE PLATE WARNING]

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey how do I makr orange cookies with orange peels and all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Grate some peel (mind the pith), mix it into the dough. Sprinkle some candied peels on top of the cookies. Add some orange liquor or extract when making the dough, depending on volume of liquid and intensity of taste called for you may have to adjust other ingredients slightly drier to compensate. If your recipe calls for enough water and isn't super sensitive to extra acidity, sub in some juice. Pick one or two that sound most appropriate for what you have in mind.

Waci fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 3, 2017