Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to make marbled cookies the way you make marbled cakes? Is it even desirable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I was surprised to find out alcohol cookies were a thing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That depends. 00 just refers to how fine the flour is. For the 00 flour does it say what kind of flour it is or how much gluten it has? Different wheats have different levels of gluten.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Follow up question, has anyone tried to make croissant-cookies? This sounds dumb but I'm coming up with an idea for a thing...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You mean like... palmiers?

I didn't think the two were related but that makes sense.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought a box of girl scout thin mint brownie mix to make a batch of brownie cookies but I've run into problems.

The box is 14 oz., the two recipes I found use 18/19 oz boxes. Also, the recipes call for all purpose flour but the brownie sample tasted so dense that I want to use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. Does anyone have any advice?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just had a crazy thought looking for recipes. Cookie dough is a type pastry dough. Different pie crusts are from different pastry doughs. Pie filling just has to be something you can fill the cavity of a pie with. So you could make a cookie pie crust with a cookie filling!

Or you could fill it with a traditional sweet pie filling. Or you could cook it and then fill it with ice cream. Or you could even fill it with cookie batter to create some sort of cookie cake pie.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Put a bowl of water in the microwave, but the cookies around the bowl of water, microwave for 5-10 seconds at a time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To answer the question, chocolate chip cookies without the chips are probably called brown sugar cookies.

I just had a crazy thought. Make the brown sugar cookie, then coat it in chocolate. Voila, inside out chocolate chip cookie.

Alternatively, make bite-sized brown sugar cookies and do a chocolate fondue thing.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 4, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The fact it's on its side makes it look like an art instillation.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

So I bought some of this snack product called 'Divine Crunch' that's a very sticky and chewy peanut toffee covered in chocolate. (Sorry there's no pics behind the link, but hopefully the ingredients list will give you some idea of what it's like) The problem is, I kind of hate it in its current form, because I'm a big baby who can't stand certain food textures. I hate wasting food, so I thought maybe I could bake this stuff into cookies.

Based on the ingredients and my description, which is unfortunately all I can offer you right now, would this stuff work as a mix-in if I crushed it into small pieces? Would I have better luck trying to melt it and incorporate it that way? Is this just plain a bad idea?

I'd say try making small test batches of a few cookies each for 3 variations.

First make a chocolate chip dough, sans the chips. Divide it into three batches of cookies. Put a big chunk of candy in the middle of the cookies in the first batch. Put small chunks on top of the second. Incorporate small chunks into the dough for the last batch.

Don't forget to use parchment, and please take pictures.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was gifted this divisive product: https://www.amazon.com/Krispy-Kreme...#R3VGG41CH6IYMS

The cake itself has a vaguely sour-cream-ish tang along with a faint nutty/lemony taste. There are two kinds of frosting but I'm hoping that the base cake is the same.

What's the right approach to this...donut cake stuff?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the COOKING CHALLENGE - Culturally Ignorant Cuisine thread. A thread where people are given a name of a dish and try to guess the recipe. Or try to turn a goons name into a recipe.

----

COOKING CHALLENGE: Bollocks Monkey
INTERPRETATION: Nutty, spicy cookies.

The past few days have been long and rough. So much so that I decided to confiscate my mom's kitchen while she was in the hospital. And do my laundry since my apartment blocks washers and dryers are on the fritz pretty often.

I used a generic “Mexican” chocolate cookie as a template, one that didn't actually use any Mexican chocolate. That could not stand! My Mexican chocolate cookie would use over 90% Mexican chocolate even if that meant googling how to melt blocks of Mexican chocolate!

Instead of getting a nice, thick, dense cookie from the generic recipe I got a cookie that spread thin and melted in the mouth. I don’t know if the chocolate substitution was that big a deal or if I forgot another ingredient along the way.

I know this cookie can be improved, I’m just not sure how right now. Unfortunately, the photos can’t be improved.

Bollocks Monkey ingredients and recipe posted:

1st set of ingredients: Chocolate
1 brick of Mexican hot chocolate like Abuelita’s
(Makes 1/4th a cup of hot chocolate powder after it’s hit with a hammer repeatedly. A much more efficient, effective, and satisfying experience than buying and using a micro-grater)
2 tablespoons worth of milk chocolate.
1 stick unsweetened butter (8 tbsp)

2 set of ingredients: Flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (I forgot to add this)

3rd set of ingredients: Sugar
½ cup of packed light brown sugar (I almost added 1 cup by accident, so I eyeballed half of that.)
¼ cup of sugar (Eyeballed this too)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Optional ingredients for an authentic bollock of a monkey:
6(?) tablespoons of coarsely chopped and roasted almonds. (I only used three tablespoons and that wound up not being enough.)
Those big grains of sugar to simulate lice (did not attempt, too unsure of the texture)
Chocolate sprinkles to simulate hair (did not attempt, too cheap to buy them)
White chocolate drizzle to simulate bollock juice (did not attempt, too tired)

Part 0: Prep

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, or get out your pizzelle maker.

Part 1: Chocolate

Put the Mexican hot chocolate brick into a few plastic bags and wack a hammer against it until it’s mostly powdered.

Melt the powder and 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate wafers together in a double boiler or a microwave, stirring frequently

If you're nuking the chocolate, nuke it for 15-30 seconds at a time, stir, and nuke it again until you get the desired results.

The chocolate is melted enough when it easily drops off a fork.

Then add a stick of butter to the chocolate, stirring it until the butter is completely melted.

Put to the side and let it cool.

Part 2: Flour

Sift the flour, chili powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.

If you don’t have a sifter then hope that your idea to improvise with a slotted spoon works.

Put it to the side.

Part 3: Sugar

Add brown sugar, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs to a large bowl, beat on slow until well blended.

(I forgot to take a pic)

Part 4: Blending

Pour the melted chocolate into the sugar batter and blend them well.

(forgot to take a pic here too)

Then add the flour to the combined batter. Blend together on low until all the flour is gone.

Then add the toasted almonds.

Part 5: Baking

Chill the batter half an hour in a fridge.

Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet using a cookie dough scooper. One cookie dough scoops worth of batter will expand to the size of a CD, so plan accordingly.

Then bake the cookies.

For a chewier cookie, bake for a total of 14 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 7 minute mark.

For a crispier cookie, bake for a total of 18 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 9 minute mark.

For a pizzelle maker, set yours to 3, add a cookie dough scopes worth of batter, and cook for 40-45 seconds.

If everything goes well you get copper colored pizzelles and big cookie disks.

Both types of cookie had a spicy, nutty taste to them that complemented the chocolate. And their thin nature gave the cookies a nice firm crunch. But the high amount of sugar and butter resulted in cookies that would melt in the mouth with every bite. The closest comparison that I can think of would be if someone turned cotton candy into a chocolate cookie.

The cookies seemed to taste the best as pizzelles. They had a light, crispy, airy quality that I never experienced in a cookie before. I honestly regret not being able to photograph the many air pockets that filled the pizzelles. With that said, getting the batter portions and the timing right is very difficult.

If you decide to bake them in an oven, try pairing the finished cookies with something like ice cream or cheesecake.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 11, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What kind of cookie goes well with cheese and wine?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I don't know how dumb an idea this is, but I figure I can make macaroons using Mexican hot chocolate since it already has a lot of sugar along with vanilla and cinnamon and a nice nutty flavor.

I still want to do something that has orange and another flavor marbled together.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Palm oil is right out, if only for environmental reasons.

Avocado could work. Not avocado oil, the avocado flesh itself.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So make chocolate cookies to mask the green?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered, I have cookie mix somewhere in the fridge. I didn't want to mix it up with a different thing I was making so I stashed it there. This was back in September.

Its all dry ingredients so it should still be good right?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What is the recipe for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They look lovely!