Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Oh poo poo, I didn't even know this thread was here. I bake cookies for work just about every week and go hog loving wild every holiday season. I don't even know where to start.

But you can get your basic bitch on with these pumpkin spice snickerdoodles I've made a whole bunch of times, 'tis the season.

Here are mine:

And an older pic- the pistachio spice cookies from Chetna Makan's book. I've since gotten a new phone and drastically improved my food photography skills, it might be time for another batch of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Tonight's efforts: double chocolate cinnamon cookies!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

guppy posted:

Italian lemon cookies

cocoavalley posted:

Italian Meatball Cookies

I'm stealing both of these. Thanks in advance on behalf of my coworkers!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The past few efforts:

Green Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dark Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies- this isn't the exact recipe I used, but it's close enough and probably better anyway

Nutella Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Those all look amazing and I'm gonna make at least one of those this weekend.

I made those Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles posted earlier a couple of times as well. Like those a lot, though I tweaked the recipe a bit to use half Coconut oil/extract, and cut down on the Cayenne a bit. Kind of want to replace the Cayenne with a different pepper entirely but I'll have to play around with it.

I bet chipotle powder would be good in those.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This week has been COOKIE WEEK. In addition to additional batches of cookies I've already posted here, I made:

Molasses Crinkles

Orange Almond Kisses, which came from this newspaper clipping:

Caveat: I have NO IDEA where they got "four dozen" from. I followed the directions to the T and got precisely 22.

Cranberry Orange sugar cookies. EVERYBODY likes these.

Chewy Cranberry White Chocolate cookies. Holy poo poo, do NOT overbake these. I burn these every loving year. One of these days I'll figure it out.

:siren: BONUS MOM ROUND: :siren:

Christmas Mickeys that mom did for a client, and Pusheens for my sister and brother-in-law's Christmas box.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Christmas is in two weeks, you can't tell me I'm the only one baking some fuckin cookies!!

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Left vs. right is the difference between hand-rolling dough balls and plopping them right on the tray out of the scoop :eng101:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Brawnfire posted:

Do those have outlines?!? They look outlined! How do people do this poo poo?

There are a TON of tutorials out there (this is something she's only gotten into since she retired last year) but the short version is you use slightly thicker icing to pipe around the outside and let it set before filling the inside with runnier icing. I'll pass the compliments along the next time I see her :)

Anyway, I decided it was time for something cute at work, so peanut butter cookies with M&Ms happened.

These come out very cakey and floury, so caveat baker if that's not really your bag.

edit- Oneiros, how did the pumpkin cookies come out?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 19, 2017

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

tsc posted:

I love spritz cookies. "Holiday spice" aka cinnamon, cloves, and a poo poo load of ginger. Little bit of heavy cream for a smoother consistency.

Hell yes! I just picked up a cookies press today from the thrift shop for all of $2.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
300 is correct! Also, if anyone finds out where to buy cinnamon chips, let me know because everyone around here stopped carrying them and what else am I going to put in my scones?? :ohdear:

I haven't baked any cookies lately, but that's going to change once I get out of my holiday stupor because...

...I got a late Christmas present in the mail yesterday!! :v:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boywhiz88 posted:

YES! I need to get back on track of working through it one recipe a week or so, but it’s gorgeous and so fun to paw through and window shop and plan. I browned butter for the first time to make their chocolate chip cookie recipe.

It’s an expensive buy-in but would you, or any poster, want to do like a book club except it’s making a recipe each week from the book? Think Great British Bake-Off rather than ICSA. Share our pics and stories of the process, etc. I’m trying to motivate myself to bake more and just be on top of things better. I need a gym buddy, but less sweat and weights, more indulgent cookie baking and encouragement/accountability.

Thoughts Goons?

I'd be down for that!

Speaking of browned butter recipes, here's one I liked from a while ago but haven't gotten it together to make again lately. It's a bit high effort but the results are super worth it!

Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter and Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Saw some peppermint white chocolate m&ms on clearance and knew exactly what must be done.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
First recipe from the ATK book- the chewy oatmeal raisin cookies!

These came out holy poo poo delicious, but the dough has a real tough time sticking together.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 14, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boywhiz88 posted:

How do you folks motivate yourselves to bake? I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies, but I’m tired, but I’m also not going to do anything if I don’t bake.

I, uh, got myself in a situation where my coworkers get mad if there aren't cookies so I kind of have to now.

That said, I'm balls tired and there are like two left of the brown sugar cookies I made and they will just have to deal.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

fknlo posted:

I made the basic chocolate chip cookies from the ATK book and had to have hosed something up. They're not sweet enough at all and maybe too buttery I guess? I didn't brown the butter enough, so I'm sure that plays some part in it, but they just aren't right. I probably should have used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet too.

I obviously overcooked them a bit even though I barely left them in for the minimum recommended time. I guess I need to grab an oven thermometer to see if it's off.

Definitely grab an oven thermometer; it's how I learned my oven takes a god damned hour to preheat.

Correcting your temperature will probably make a huge difference. I don't think not fully browning the butter is your issue here. Are you absolutely sure you got all the ingredients in, in the correct amounts?

You know what, it's 6:30 pm here and I have gently caress all to do. I'll knock out a batch and report back with my findings.

edit- did you do all this whisking and resting?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 25, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Sex Hobbit posted:

Definitely grab an oven thermometer; it's how I learned my oven takes a god damned hour to preheat.

Correcting your temperature will probably make a huge difference. I don't think not fully browning the butter is your issue here. Are you absolutely sure you got all the ingredients in, in the correct amounts?

You know what, it's 6:30 pm here and I have gently caress all to do. I'll knock out a batch and report back with my findings.

edit- did you do all this whisking and resting?

Came out just fine for me. I added in chopped almonds as well, cause I have a ton to get rid of.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Did you bake them on a silpat? I find that sometimes a silpat will be too 'slippery' for some cookies and the edges will get thin and over cooked. There's no grip to keep the edges in place until they firm up. This isn't a problem with most cookies, but maybe that contributed.

I do mine on a silpat. My cookies actually come out looking more like that when I use parchment.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

fknlo posted:

I cooked them straight on the baking sheet as I forgot to pick up parchment paper. Would that do it?

It totally could. They look to me like the bottoms got hot WAY faster than the rest of the cookie.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Sunday morning's efforts- the trail mix cookies!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have no idea what my problem is but I am Snickerdoodle Defective. I cannot EVER get them to come out right. These are from the same America's Test Kitchen book, but something just seems... off about them. They taste fine, they just look weird.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boywhiz88 posted:

I haven’t tried the ATK recipe, but this is the recipe I’ve been using the last couple years: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/classic-snickerdoodles/

I had tried 2 others before landing on this one. The prior recipes were either all butter or all shortening. I feel like this recipe being 50/50 is what makes the cookies so good.

That's 100% identical to the ATK recipe.

They spread a lot more for me than the picture in the book seemed to indicate. Probably could have used a couple hours in the fridge.

edit- ATK recipe says to bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the tray at the halfway point as opposed to 9-11 minutes straight through. That could make a difference for some ovens.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Control Volume posted:

They just look like fluffy snickerdoodles

If you truly care about the looks, the two common fixes would be either switching from shortening to butter, or cutting back on shortening. I'd personally experiment with a 50/50 mix of butter and shortening and see how things turn out taste-wise, just to have a second data point

The recipe calls for 50/50 shortening and butter.... they were a hit anyway so gently caress it, they're getting made again!

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 17, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Today was probably my first big-time Cookie Failure; these are definitely not getting taken in to work...

For comparison, this is the picture in the book (they're the Chocolate Chewies from the ATK book):

The only change I made in the recipe was using peanut butter chips instead of pecans because that's what I had, but that couldn't change the whole cookie that much. The other issue might have been that the egg whites were a day old (left over from a key lime pie I made) but I've made meringues with day old whites and had them come out fine. I put my last two stragglers on parchment instead of a silpat:

... not exactly a massive improvement. So who knows.

(The pie, for what it's worth, came out perfect.)

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 20, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know the recipe, but pecans are dry and will add bulk/structure, while pb chips will soften and exude oil. You might also have had other issues, but yeah, that'd be a significant swap.

That said, nobody at work wouldn't eat those imo

Crap, forgot about the oil situation. Well, that's me told for changing a recipe the first time I make it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Scudworth posted:

Do they taste good? No one will know/care what they were supposed to look like.

.... kinda? I mean, they're edible. They're basically PB chips encased in a chocolate cracker.

I don't consider them up to even grad students' standards so I'll probably knock out a batch of snickerdoodles tomorrow after Black Panther-ing.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I did the Borderlands 2 mission "Eat Cookies and Crap Thunder" tonight so guess what happened

It's the Ginger Molasses cookie recipe from (again) the ATK book. They compare very favorably with my old recipe, which called for shortening instead of butter.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Today: the peanut butter oatmeal pretzel sea salt dark chocolate clusterfucks from the ATK book:

I'm.... lowkey underwhelmed by these.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The Midniter posted:

What are they missing?

I was expecting the pretzels to contribute a bit more salt than they did. That's easily fixed for next time by putting more salt on top. Besides that, I don't know. It needs.... something. Maybe different chips, I used the Guittard 63% cocoa ones.

So I made the cranberry-white chocolate-macadamia nut ones right after.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 14, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Peanut butter cookies happened last weekend! Featuring one cup of artisanally-pulverized peanuts, because I don't have a food processor but I DO have ziplock bags and a hammer.

And if we're doing cakes too, I also made a Donauwelle at the request of a German coworker for an office shindig.

(Sorry for that bad slice pic, it was at work but I HAD to get a quick shot of the most picture-perfect donauwelle slice possible)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'd be okay with this becoming a catch-all non-bread baking thread. There probably isn't enough baking happening in GWS for threads dedicated to each and every individual thing (besides bread).

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Had some milk I needed to use up and some real-deal chai that a grad student brought me from Nepal, so chai spiced cupcakes happened. The recipe is modified from the Vanilla Chamomile Cupcakes in Ruby Tandoh's Crumb. I tossed a couple cinnamon sticks and whole cloves into the milk/butter/tea while it was simmering and these are zippy.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This week's efforts:

Almond Crumb Coffee Cake

And chewy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ben Nevis posted:

How'd the cookies come out? Those look like a potential hit in my family.

They were a hit! The peanut butter taste is more subtle than you might expect, and they come out super chewy and soft.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

A coworker put this recipe on my desk so I did what must be done. Hopefully they're okay with almonds rather than walnuts, because I forgot to get walnuts at the store but already had almonds (I like them better in cookies anyway).

Overall I'm happy with how this recipe turned out and might go with this one over the ATK recipe in the future; they're pretty much the same thing but with easy ratios instead of ATK's insistence on using fractional amounts of everything.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Croatoan posted:

You should brown your butter. It makes better cookies.

Eh I know :effort:

Meanwhile, the office every-month-or-so collective birthday celebration is tomorrow, and I have made Ruby Tandoh's buttermilk lemon black pepper cake, Sheet Cake Edition!

The actual recipe calls for two round cakes with the lemon curd sandwiched in between, but round/tall cakes are not generally well received at these parties in my experience so I just made a single sheet cake and I'll take the curd separate if anyone wants to try it. The cake gets drizzled with lemon syrup so it absolutely does not need frosting or anything, really. Just awesomely face-meltingly lemony with a little pepper to brighten it up.

Included in the celebrations this month is my own birthday, which was Monday! My mom (she of the Pusheen cookies upthread) made me a fruit custard tart:

I got a $50 Amazon gift card and have NO IDEA which of the dozen or so cookbooks on my list I'm going to get. Or maybe a new cookie scoop, since mine bit the dust from overuse a few weeks ago.

(Those are my chucks and my grandma's snoopy slippers that I just noticed I failed to crop out.)

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 25, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Scotchies

Orange Almond Crumble Coffee Cake (This, in particular, was a massive hit.)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What are my best options for a vegan butter substitution? I'm making cookies for a crowd, and some dietary restrictions apply.

Butter-flavored Crisco, probably.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'm not vegan, but I'm going to a potlucky brunch thing where vegans will be present, so I made vegan almond poppyseed and cinnamon sugar scones!

quote:

Sex Hobbit's Scone Recipe with Vegan Substitutions

DRY STUFF
2 cups flour (you can mix and match here, I use either all AP or half wheat and half AP)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter / 4 tablespoons butter-flavored Crisco
2 tablespoons poppyseeds, if that's what you're doing

WET STUFF
1 egg / 1 egg's worth of egg substitute (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer from the local co-op)
2/3 cup buttermilk / 2/3 cup soy milk + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond extract

Preheat oven to 425F

Make all the Wet Stuff and let it set for five minutes or so if you're doing the vegan subs, then mix it all together and set it aside.

Mix all the Dry Stuff except the butter/crisco together in a big bowl. Either cut up the butter/crisco into small pieces and mush it all together with your hands or pastry cutter until it looks like breadcrumbs, or do it in a food processor.

Make an indentation in your Dry Stuff and pour the Wet Stuff in. Mix it with a fork until you have a dough that sticks to itself and not the bowl. You might have to add a bit more flour. It shouldn't be TOO dry though. It should definitely stick to your hands a bit.

Put some parchment on your baking sheet, flour that up, and plomp the dough down on it. Press it into a circle about 1.5" thick and cut that circle into eight wedges. Separate the wedges; if you leave them all together they'll merge. Press some demerara sugar (for the almond poppyseed ones) or cinnamon sugar (for the cinnamon vanilla ones) onto the top of each wedge. Be careful not to mush them around too much; the more you work the dough the less it will rise.

Bake for 14-16 minutes. Depending on your oven you might want to check them at 13 and decide from there how much longer they need.

Transfer to a wire rack for cooling and use a food brush to get that excess flour off the underside.

This is a super adaptable recipe; if you want to put chocolate chips or craisins or something in them about 2/3 cup is the ideal amount. Put them in with the dry stuff, you'll never get them all incorporated if you try to add them after the buttermilk and egg.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 11, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Dark Indulgent Walnut Brownies from Mary Berry's Baking Bible. Moderate effort as brownies go, but pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Wake up, thread!

Apple and Cinnamon Cake from Mary Berry's Baking Bible. I have the hardest time keeping this thing from sinking in the middle. I think the next time I make this I might dehydrate the grated apple in the oven a bit.