Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Just tried making french macarons for the billionth time:

gently caress these dumb cookies :mad: the worst part is i have no idea what went wrong with this batch. I'm guessing the batter was overmixed?? but they were hollow so maybe undermixed???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

cocoavalley posted:

I'm going to guess that you didn't overmix since they aren't flat/run into each other. I still get some hollow/cracked shells per batch, usually the ones closest to the edges of the pan. I also have a tendency to undermix, so they'll look perfect when they come out of the oven, but the interiors will be collapsed. Mixing the batter a little more helps. Also - BraveTart suggests adding a bit of oil to the almond meal before sifting it with the sugar (maybe 1/2 tsp or so per ounce of almond meal). I've done it my last couple of batches and it seems to help, the cookies come out a little chewier instead of drying out and cracking.

Thanks for the tips. I made another batch using the Italian meringue method and a small subset came out perfect, with the rest cracking but still being soft. I'm starting to think it's an issue with my oven :smith: