Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

People talk a lot about making cakes and food and very fancy desserts, but no one talks about making cookies. Cookies are very good, and easy to make, they don't have to be for a special occasion, they're just a cookie. Cookies are made with sugar flour butter eggs and other things to flavor them.

Here's how to make a cookie:
Put the butter and the sugar in at the same time, and beat it until its fluffy
Put in the egg
Put in the everything else
Grab some of the dough and throw it on a pan and bake it

Well that's it, anyone can make a cookie, its a fun simple treat for the whole family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to make snickerdoodles tonight.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got too busy to make snickerdoodles tonight. deffo gonna make them tomorrow though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I've always wondered what apple cinnamon cookies would taste like. I bet they would taste good. Somebody go make apple cinnamon cookies and then report back.

I'll make apple cinnamon cookies after I'm done eating the snickerdoodles.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Didn't make snicker doodles tonight either. 10 hour days are loving killer, yo. Tomorrow is a 9 hour day though. A whole extra hour to make snicker doodles.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

•When you think your butter and sugar is creamed enough, cream it some more.

The most important advice

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Bananana posted:

Noted.

In my defense, I really wanted some cookies.

That's fair. You should definitely eat the singular cookie you now have.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I finally made the snickerdoodles.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theyre fuckin delicious but next time I think I'm going to cut back on the cream of tartar a small bit since they're slightly too tangy, need to find a nice spot between the soda/tartar ratio I have now and just straight up using baking powder

e: on further research it looks like the ratio was just baking powder without cornstarch

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 30, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Congratulations on your probably incredibly rich cookies

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hmm, wondering how a molasses rum chocolate chip cookie would taste. Probably extremely good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Was gonna say that they'll get really moist and flat but you posted the picture showing them really moist and flat

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Two questions, cookie gurus:

1) Once I portion out my dough can I just freeze it and then pop it right into the oven later? Or do I need to defrost first? Or is that not a thing at all?

2) Brown butter. Is it really that much better than regular butter, and if so how much water do I need to add back in to make up for the evaporation while browning?

e: nvm just saw the brown butter discussion on the bottom of the first page

Maybe if you have small enough cookies it wouldn't matter but I would defrost it anyways just to keep the cooking times consistent, I dont know if freezing is good for eggs though I usually just make my dough fresh since it takes less time than it would to defrost

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 23, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Made pizzelles today

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dump some god drat orange parts in it. shove it into the dough and work it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I made some

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just made some great M&M cookies! 2nd time doing them. I think I've got the timing nailed down. And they're so big!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

I have no idea what my problem is but I am Snickerdoodle Defective. I cannot EVER get them to come out right. These are from the same America's Test Kitchen book, but something just seems... off about them. They taste fine, they just look weird.

They just look like fluffy snickerdoodles

If you truly care about the looks, the two common fixes would be either switching from shortening to butter, or cutting back on shortening. I'd personally experiment with a 50/50 mix of butter and shortening and see how things turn out taste-wise, just to have a second data point

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Today was probably my first big-time Cookie Failure; these are definitely not getting taken in to work...

For comparison, this is the picture in the book (they're the Chocolate Chewies from the ATK book):

The only change I made in the recipe was using peanut butter chips instead of pecans because that's what I had, but that couldn't change the whole cookie that much. The other issue might have been that the egg whites were a day old (left over from a key lime pie I made) but I've made meringues with day old whites and had them come out fine. I put my last two stragglers on parchment instead of a silpat:

... not exactly a massive improvement. So who knows.

(The pie, for what it's worth, came out perfect.)

It's definitely not the egg whites since that has the meringue cookie sheen, the only thing I can think of between yours and the expected result is that they smashed the pecans before putting them in. Maybe add crushed peanuts and/or more flour? idk

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Favorite cookie scoops? I’ve worn out both of my #40s. In part cause I’m a bit overly aggressive w cold dough. Looking at a Norpro but wanted to get people’s takes.

Its a bit old fashioned but my go-to tool for scooping cookies is my hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I just use my mouth to scoop the dough balls. Unrelated, I've gained 50 pounds in the past two months. What gives?

Your belt, ha ha ha