Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I seem to remember cookies made with shortening flatten less so swapping butter out for shortening ought to keep them a bit taller. I am not a good enough baker to say whether a partial swap would work, but my gut says maybe. I'd probably just use less dough per cookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I want to know more about those cookies.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

How'd the cookies come out? Those look like a potential hit in my family.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm not normally much of a cookie-ist, but we turned out 4 or 5 batches last night. All the ones we have from the Mrs Fields Cookbook had you baking cookies at 300 for 25 minutes. What's up with that?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
On the chocolate peanut butter front, these are a "semi-homemade" type thing, and are way better than they have any right to be: https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/peanut-butter-brownie-cookies/78d2e747-151c-48d1-838b-fdde7d1e3e37

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Made thick chocolate chip cookies to test my new stand mixer. They're loving huge (the one where I'm holding it is a quarter of a cookie) and are an even 800 kcal apiece so I'll definitely never eat an entire one at once ever. Delicious, though.

Glad to see the review, I was super curious about that recipe.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone made the internet famous "The Cookie"? https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/salted-butter-and-chocolate-chunk-shortbread

How is it?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not cookies, but I made a peach upside down cake this weekend and it's super good.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scudworth posted:

Recipeeeeee

It was from Joy of Cooking. The intro text mentions apricot, plum and peach variations, so I basically just subbed enough peaches to cover the bottom of my pan. This appears to be the recipe. I've C&P'd and lightly edited to bring it it accordance with the version I used. It uses the "extra gooey" version from JoC, which I did as well. The regularly gooey one is 3tbsp butter and 3/4c brown sugar at the top of the recipe. It doesn't specify, but I'd bake it on a cookie sheet or something, some of the caramel was super close to sloshing out when I took it out of the oven.

CLASSIC PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

PG TESTED

What other authority to seek but "Joy of Cooking"? The cake was in its heyday when Irma S. Rombauer wrote this recipe for the original cookbook. Leftover pineapple and juice can be included in a smoothie along with some berries, banana and vanilla yogurt.

One 20-ounce can unsweetened sliced pineapple, or one fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices (Subbed: Peaches quartered to cover bottom of a cast iron pan. It took about 6 medium)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons butter, softened
6 tablespoons buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a cast iron pan, over very low heat, stir half the butter until melted but still creamy. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until combined. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Arrange peach wedges over the sugar mixture. Reserve.

Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add 6 tablespoons butter and 6 tablespoons buttermilk. Beat on low speed just until the flour is moistened.

Increase the speed to medium, or high speed with a hand-held mixer, and beat for exactly 1 1/2 minutes. The batter will be stiff. Add one-third of the reserved egg mixture at a time, beating for exactly 20 seconds and scraping the bowl after each addition. Scrape the batter over the fruit in the pan and spread evenly.

Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen side with a small spatula. Invert onto a serving plate.

Makes 8 servings.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I didn't take a picture, because honestly they're not pretty, but man. I love these things: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/04/easter-candy-cookies-recipe.html Obviously, no Easter candy, but made with a mix of hershey's miniatures, mini-heath bars, and reese's cups.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BALLS DILDO posted:

I made Mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles

They’re v good

This very much sounds like my jam. Do you have a recipe?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BALLS DILDO posted:

I used this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/soft-thick-snickerdoodles-in-20-minutes/, using slightly less flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, plus a little nutmeg and cayenne

I would probably use less cinnamon in the flour, i used the full 1 1/2 tsp

the original snickerdoodle recipe is great also, ive made it a few times now and they do not last long in the biscuit tin

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, the last minute panicked baking of cookies has commenced. Two new ones this year, molasses oatmeal and coconut cashew.