Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I need to make peanut butter cookies in a couple days and I have a few questions:
1) what recipes do people like for pretty standard peanut butter cookies?
2) I’ve browned butter plenty of times, but never for a recipe that required creaming the butter and sugars, I guess you brown the butter then let it cool to room temp before mixing with sugar?
3) My oven is surly and untrustworthy, is there anything I should watch out for? I imagine peanut butter cookies aren’t that delicate, but y’know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and ¾ tsp salt. Mix 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup oil, 1.5 tsp vanilla. Combine both mixes. Portion into balls and bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until just starting to brown. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Thank you, I had to pull a last-minute audible but this will go in my notes for next time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m looking to make chocolate and orange cupcakes on friday and I was going to modify the SBA chocolate cupcake recipe by adding some orange zest and juice to the batter and using whole milk instead of the buttermilk to keep the acidity in check. Is that reasonable or am I missing something? Does one orange sound right? If they come out good I’ll post some pictures. If not, I might still post pictures for posterity.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dog nougat posted:

They probably won't rise all that much without buttermilk. I'd honestly just go with zest and add orange extract to get the orange flavor. Orange juice will likely get overpowered by the chocolate. You could do juice and add a bit more flour to compensate for the extra liquid and see how it tastes and add some extract of needed and they'll probably turn out fine.

Edit: Orange juice is also pretty sweet, I'd consider dialing back the amount of regular sugar just a bit to offset that if you go that route. Also that seems like a shitload of sugar to begin with for a cupcake recipe relative to the amount of flour and other ingredients. Now I'm intrigued and wanna give chocolate orange cake a go.

I appreciate this, but you don’t have any advice here for my very recent problem: my oven is broken and almost guaranteed needs to be replaced. The cupcakes will have to wait!