Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Molten Llama posted:

They are loving delicious. If you want to further up your cookie game (and put off cookie-eating even longer), Serious Eats' refinement of a full day's rest, rending the dough apart like you're an animal, and smashing it back together yields worthwhile improvements.

But I believe cookies are a right now food, and CI's recipe is already pushing it.

My handful of attempts at the SE recipe have met various degrees of success, mostly dismal. I mean they tasted really nice but all but one batch turned out pancake-thin. I felt odd guilt as I devoured them in shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Those uhh

Look very moist

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Two questions, cookie gurus:

1) Once I portion out my dough can I just freeze it and then pop it right into the oven later? Or do I need to defrost first? Or is that not a thing at all?

2) Brown butter. Is it really that much better than regular butter, and if so how much water do I need to add back in to make up for the evaporation while browning?

e: nvm just saw the brown butter discussion on the bottom of the first page

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 23, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okay more questions:

As I've said before in this thread every time I've made the SeriousEats cookies they turned out extremely thin, like wafers almost. I tried a bunch of advice ranging from longer refrigeration to higher temp to lower temp and a bunch of other stuff but my results were inconsistent. One thing I forgot to mention then though was that for the "all purpose flour" mentioned in the recipe I used 00 flour because that's what I had on hand from making pasta. Could that be what caused the flat cookies?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

That depends. 00 just refers to how fine the flour is. For the 00 flour does it say what kind of flour it is or how much gluten it has? Different wheats have different levels of gluten.

It's this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Tipo-Chefs-Flour/dp/B004O8HWEG

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I need help again, cookie sages. I tried my hand at this recipe for pb choc chip cookies and they turned out... crumbly? They basically disintegrated in my mouth instead of having the chewy bite that I wanted. I did bake them longer than the instructions called for because they were in no way done after 10 minutes. Did I overdo the baking time, or was there something recipe wise I could have done to fix things?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I haven't tried the peanut butter cookies again but I'm back with another question. How well do cookie recipes double? Is it just a matter of keeping the ratios or would it just be better to make two batches?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Friends, goons, countrymen, I need a good rear end recipe for white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, shooting for a similar cookiefeel as the SE chocolate chip ones. I don't have enough cookiesperience to know if just subbing in ingredients would be enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Really though guys I want to make white chocolate macadamia cookies!!!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Friends I have made the white choc macadamia cookies and they were extremely good, thanks for your love and support

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's actually better with an overnight chill. Just make sure it's tightly covered.

Why does it have to be covered?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Weird, I just scooped and then left my cookies in the fridge tray and all and they turned out more or less fine. I'll try covering this weekend to see if it makes a big difference.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guys if my cookies are cold from being in the cargo hold of a plane or in the dead of winter etc, what's the best way to warm them up just a little to make them delicious again?

e: I won't have access to an oven, and even a microwave is iffy.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 30, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

But then the friction might catch them on fire, and nobody likes burnt cookies

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

One thing I suppose you could do is put the cookies in a plastic bag, then put them somewhere warm. If you have hot water from a sink use that, or you could hold them under your armpits for a while. Really though fire is the best non-electric option. Is there a reason you can't use fire?

I'll be staying at a hotel. The room may or may not have a microwave, but certainly won't have an open fire or an oven.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thanks guys you're the best

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So guys, when recipes say to not overwork the dough and barely mix etc, why is that? What happens if you mix the dough a lot?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of which someone please give me a bomb rear end peanut butter choco chip cookie recipe

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (~11 oz) creamy peanut butter (processed is best, and you could instead do 1 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter if you want peanut chunks in there!)
3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup (5 7/8 oz) light corn syrup
1/4 cup (1 1/4 oz) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 big handfulls (2 cups?) chocolate chips

Method:

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk peanut butter, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, granulated sugar, egg, yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Divide dough in half, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon and shape as with chocolate chip cookies, breaking in half and smooshing together to make a craggy surface.
Bake cookies until puffed and edges are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight container for 3 days, if they last.
Note: dough can be frozen in balls and baked straight from the freezer whenever you want fresh cookies! Just add a minute or two to the baking time.

I tried these and they came out basically falling apart, unable to be picked up because they couldn't bear their own weight. Did I not bake them enough?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What is the texture of madeleines supposed to be? I baked some and they turned out all right in my opinion, and they certainly look like madeleines but the texture was totally different from storebought and I'm not sure if I got them wrong or the supermarket did.

I know it's hard to tell from the pic but they do have that weird center bump thing. They were pretty crispy on the bottom and otherwise a fair bit lighter and airier than storebought.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 12, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I made the smitten kitchen blondies recipe except apparently I either chopped the chocolate I was gonna add too finely, had too much of it, or added it in when the mixture was still too hot, because I got brownies instead. :(

Still good, at least, but not what I was hoping for.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone ever made bacon cookies? Saw this recipe https://thetakeout.com/how-to-make-a-killer-brown-butter-bacon-chocolate-chip-1821667488 and I'm cautiously curious but can't really imagine what it'd be like.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Made thick chocolate chip cookies to test my new stand mixer. They're loving huge (the one where I'm holding it is a quarter of a cookie) and are an even 800 kcal apiece so I'll definitely never eat an entire one at once ever. Delicious, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone have a good recipe for palmiers? I can't seem to find one that's not just "buy puff pastry dough." Is it really that much of a hassle otherwise?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Do cakes and other sweet doughthings count here as well? Fiending for a beginner's cream filled donut recipe

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Had a thought, can you use tangzhong when making cookies to keep them soft longer? I've only ever seen it used for yeasty breads but when thinking about it, the tangzhong itself doesn't include yeast.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a recommended butter:water ratio to rehydrate clarified butter/ghee for baking recipes? I used clarified butter for a batch of chocolate chip cookies and they turned out super dry despite it being a recipe I'd done before a million times with regular.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That worked out just right, thanks!

New question, what exactly makes cookies have those cracks on the top? My cookies taste just fine but more often than not they're just gently sloped domes, rather than being mostly flat with large cracks running through them like I see in bakery cookies and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Made the King Arthur 2024 recipe of the year chocolate chip cookies. Really peculiar texture, like someone hollowed out a normal chocolate chip cookie and replaced the inside with a moist cake or something. Anyone else made it? My version didn't look much like the pictures (way more domed and higher, less ripple, and tapered edges instead of sloped), so I'm wondering if it's supposed to taste like this or not.

e: Now that I'm on my pc, here are a couple of pictures. They were in the oven maybe 30 seconds too long but that really only affected the edges, I think.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 14, 2024