Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I bought some of this snack product called 'Divine Crunch' that's a very sticky and chewy peanut toffee covered in chocolate. (Sorry there's no pics behind the link, but hopefully the ingredients list will give you some idea of what it's like) The problem is, I kind of hate it in its current form, because I'm a big baby who can't stand certain food textures. I hate wasting food, so I thought maybe I could bake this stuff into cookies.

Based on the ingredients and my description, which is unfortunately all I can offer you right now, would this stuff work as a mix-in if I crushed it into small pieces? Would I have better luck trying to melt it and incorporate it that way? Is this just plain a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

I'd say try making small test batches of a few cookies each for 3 variations.

First make a chocolate chip dough, sans the chips. Divide it into three batches of cookies. Put a big chunk of candy in the middle of the cookies in the first batch. Put small chunks on top of the second. Incorporate small chunks into the dough for the last batch.

Don't forget to use parchment, and please take pictures.

(Please forgive the weird pink dreamy filter on these photos, the camera I chose to use is worse indoors than I thought)

So these are the candies, not yet crushed for baking into cookies. Peanut butter toffee, peanut pieces, and milk chocolate. Extremely chewy.

For the dough I used this Martha Stewart recipe and the dough itself seems great, but the instructions say to bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes, and my cookies needed a full 15(!) to come even close to golden.

Here's the 3 types of cookies, ordered from top to bottom in the order you suggested them. The first, maybe I pressed the candy pieces down too far in, but they formed discs of melted toffee that never really came to form part of the cookie, the candy would fall right through the bottom. The third, the introduction of the candy throughout the dough seemed to make the dough much wetter, and the cookies melted and never quite solidified, they were hard to take off the parchment paper, especially because melted toffee will stick to your spatula, and using a sticky spatula to try to lift warm melty cookies is an exercise in patience that I quickly failed. The second variety was the best compromise, putting the toffee bits on top let them melt into the cookie, minimizing the stickiness of them, without compromising the structure of the dough.

Which is a real fuckin' shame because I am full of hubris and mixed the candy in with the remainder of the dough, thinking 'yeah this one is probably going to be the solution'. I got too frustrated with the spatula situation to make the rest of the cookies, so currently the dough is in the freezer. I've heard that can help some cookie problems, so when I try again maybe I'll have more luck baking these. Otherwise, are there any adjustments to baking temperature or time I could make to have the future cookies not melt quite so much?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you have an oven thermometer to check whether your 350° is actually 350°ish?

You know, I actually don't, and while this is the first time I've had an issue with this oven not being hot enough, it's probably something worth owning. I see there are some available for ~$7, will the cheap ones still be acceptably accurate?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Final update: picked up an oven thermometer and sure enough... I'd set my oven to 350F, and the light would go off at 300F. Probably need to ask the complex about that one.

When the oven finally heated to the right temperature, the cookies actually came out solid! Although, apparently nothing can stop toffee from melting into a gooey mess, so I still can't recommend trying this at home.

Still delicious though