Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My favorite cake recipe is the one you get off the back of a box of hershey's cocoa but I always add some cinnamon and cayenne pepper and then glaze with ganache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (with added peanut butter chips, because if you're going all out, might as well go all out).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Anyone have a good recipe for Chinese walnut cookies? They're small, shortbready in consistency, have a bit of walnut on top, and as much as I love the ones the Chinese bakery in my area makes, driving almost two hours round trip for them isn't especially feasible.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Speaking of cake/cookie making, what's the best way to tell when butter and sugar are properly creamed together? Mine never really looks light and fluffy, even when I'm turning out cakes where the butter and sugar were obviously overcreamed.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How long are you typically creaming it and what makes you think it was over-creamed?

like, 5 minutes? And there are weird gummy streaks through my cake that internet says are a symptom of over creaming.

edit: five minutes with a stand mixer

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always cream for closer to ten minutes (probably more like 8 or so?). It was my understanding that it’s hard to over cream, and I can’t imagine how you would overcreaming in just five minutes. I just look for the color to turn almost bright white and everything get fluffy. The internet advice notwithstanding, if you don’t feel like it’s fluffy, I’d say cream more.

Edit: Not saying the internet is wrong, but I would think that streaks or whatever in your finished product would be the result of not evenly incorporating your other ingredients after you cream. But that’s just a total guess.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2015/04/27/creaming-butter-sugar was what I was looking at, fwiw. It could also be that I'm using too-cold butter? My kitchen tends to run cold so softening takes ages.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Chocolate butter mochi. Easy to throw together, interesting, and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

could do like a cinnamon whipped cream; that might be a nice flavor profile. Or a raspberry topping.