Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

I FINALLY HAVE IT, MY MOM'S OATMEAL CHOCOLATE MnM COOKIE RECIPE, aka Daddy Cookies, because she made them for Daddy, who very politely allowed us to have some as well.

Oatmeal Granola MnM Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS (in US volume)
2 sticks margarine
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup DARK brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups AP flour
half a teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking POWDER
1 teaspoon baking SODA.
2 1/2 Cups of Old Fashioned Oats, with extra to adjust dough consistency as needed

1/2 bag of Dark Chocolate baking chips
1/2 bag Mini baking MnMs (or the regular baking kind, depends on what you can get)
1 cup chopped walnuts

OR
Dried fruit and nuts in any sensible combination, but then they're not Daddy Cookies, and who wants that?

DIRECTIONS:

Cream Together 2 sticks of margarine, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup dark brown sugar. Once creamed together, add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, mix to incorporate.

In another bowl, mix 2 cups AP flour, half a teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon baking POWDER, and 1 teaspoon baking SODA. 2 1/2 cups of FINELY CHOPPED old fashioned oats (To chop, just make 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, add to blender, blitz a few times till thoroughly chopped but not powderized. Or hit it with a knife a bunch, I don't know, you're all smart people). mix thoroughly and add to wet ingredients. Mix well.

Dough should be a firm, moist, hold a round shape, and not be overly sticky. If mixture is too thin and sticky, add in a handful of unchopped rolled oats.

Fold in half a bag of chocolate chips, half a bag of mini MnM's, and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Or whatever other mix ins you want, you filthy non chocolate wanter. Or, oh gosh, maybe you're allergic to chocolate, i'm so sorry. Or maybe you're a sentient, finger having dog with an interest in baking. Go you. Dried fruit and nuts could work well. Or just raisins, that's always good.

Use 2 large soup tablespoons (or a disher if you're fancy) to make balls of dough. Arrange on non-stick foil (or greased regular foil) on a baking sheet. allow 1.5 inches of space for cookies to spread. Dont crowd! Err on the side of using more trays.

Bake 15 minutes at 350f. May have to be baked in batches if not all of them fit in the oven at once, that's ok. check for doneness, cookie should be baked through, but still soft. It will harden somewhat as it cools. The end result will be a nice firm cookie, but with some softness. If overbaked, they'll still be good, but very hard and crunchy, you'll need some milk.

Let cool before removing from foil and cramming into mouth, but we know that never works and some end up disappearing. I don't know, blame the cat.

limit 3 per day or the krampus will get you.

Merry Xmas

I've made these twice, they were awesome. I kind of want some right now.

But, I also got a hankerin for some scotcharoos, anyone have a recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
That looks like a drat fine cake! It looks really chocolatey

I've been trying to learn how to cake. Today I took the Buttercream 101 course at Wilton School in Darien Illinois. It was a lot of fun, it was a workshop to give you practice frosting and piping. Would recommend to anyone that could use help with the fundamentals!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Made a chocolate cheesecake over the weekend. My springform pan betrayed me at every turn...first, it was 10" when I thought it was 9". Then, when I put it into a water bath...it was not watertight! loving water leaked in on my crust and I had to bake without the bath. Finally, it didn't want to release the god drat cake after chilling overnight. What a pain in the rear end.

As for the cake...it cracked super, super bad -- we're talking San Andreas here, the cracks went all the way down to the pan.

So I doubled up on the ganache topping and filled those cracks in; the perfect crime.

The whipped cream on top looks like coiled poop, but it was very tasty. I was happy with how this one came out--super rich, and super chocolatey. But, first time using a recipe = follow to the letter, second time = what iterations can you make.

The cheesecake consisted of an oreo crust, chocolate cheesecake filling (bittersweet and semisweet chocolate), topped with a semisweet ganache and finally cocoa whipped cream.

I'm thinking the following:

Is there a place to sneak in some caramel? Maybe the ganache? Might not be a good idea, the rest of the cake was so overwhelmingly chocolate that I'm not sure if caramel could add much to it
The cocoa whipped cream was delicious, but for aesthetic reasons I might try a plain white whipped cream...I think the white contrast with the rest of the cheesecake would be interesting
Maybe switch out the oreo crust for a standard graham cracker one, give it more of a honey profile

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ooh, I like the sound of raspberry...I never think to add fruit to chocolate, it's a real blind spot of mine

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can anyone here pipe worth a drat? I hate piping, because I'm so bad at it.

I want to make a cupcake of this guy:

and I'm trying to figure out how to do his head; it's basically a plague doctor mask. Seems if I knew what I was doing, could pipe it with one tip maybe?

I'm envisioning piping a large glob, then pulling the tip back to make the beak...that should work, right? But I'm not sure how to make the beak pointed. But then just pipe some black dots for his eyes, and I've got his head. Then wrap around his head with a petal tip to make his hood...then fill out the rest using a leaf tip to simulate feathers

God dammit I hate piping (I wish I was better at it :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hmm, that may work though I question my ability to make it look good. Reminded me I have pallet knives, maybe they could work too...