Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just saw the thread and wondered if anybody had anything to say about Maamouls. If you don't know, they are a (Middle Eastern-ish) Mediterranean aromatic cookie formed in a mold with a date/nut center and a coarse semolina outside. You give it a bunch of stuff like mastic, rose water, and orange blossom water. You take the filling, wrap it in the dough, shove it into a wooden form, and bang it out onto a pan. It makes a great pattern. When it comes to holiday cookies, I lean on them because I know nobody else will make them and their taste is so distinctive that people find a separate part of their stomach to hold them. The coarse semolina guarantees a nice crumb and interesting texture.

I am trying to refine my process though. I don't have any heritage in that part of the world and found out about these cookies just a few years ago so I am inexperienced with some of the ingredients. My basic starting recipe comes from here:
https://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/desserts/maamoul-cookies-pistachio-walnuts-recipe-mamoul-bi-joz-fustuk/

Something that particularly gets me is that they want me to dissolve mastic gum in water, and that just doesn't happen. Like, you can google that up and it'll tell you that stuff doesn't dissolve in water. It'll just spread out on the bottom of the pot. I'm wondering what might happen if I just ground it up and threw it in the dough. Would it be overwhelming?

I am also wondering about alternative, authentic means for sweetening other than sprinkling powdered sugar on them because that removes a lot of the detailing on the cookie. I mean, I could just add more sugar to the dough, but I wonder if there's any heritage around making a glaze that would add detail to the molded cookie.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am looking for a good thumbprint cookie recipe, but I have some expectations:

1. I am looking for fruits and nuts.
2. Last time I did this, I remember having egg whites at hand to help bind the nuts to the cookies.
3. I also remember indenting the cookies partway into the bake, which I think gave me a butter bowl for the jam.

SEO food blog recipes are making it real hard to look up this stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ahh I think this is what I used a few years ago! I remember all the issues with the bake time. It made a decent cookie after that adjustment.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to figure out how to modify the classic Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe to get flat, spread, rippled cookies. My wife grew up on those and she's quite fond of that style. Oddly enough, I'd get those growing up sometimes from that recipe (and sometimes not) and my mom prefer that style too. However, if I make the cookies from that recipe, I don't get that effect.

Okay, there was one time it happened and I had used margarine. Both sides of the family were doing these in the 80s and 90s, so I had a theory we were all paranoid about butter, so I tried margarine. That seemed to work, but only once. When I tried it again, I didn't get the spread.

I was thinking of reducing the flour and switching to cake flour next as an experiment. Another change in process has been using a disher for portioning the cookies. Traditionally, we'd just slide the dough off a spoon, and I can imagine starting out with a taller cookie ball just mechanically prevents them from spreading as much.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Eeyo posted:

What do you mean rippled?

I don't think I can rip off an image right now, but you can image search for "pan banging chocolate chip cookies" and they all have that effect. For what it's worth, that's the last thing I intend to try for making them. That was not something none of us ever had to do 25+ years ago.