Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
My apartment oven is kind of cheap and poorly insulated, so the gas burner will run constantly and scorch the bottom of most baked goods unless I put an empty sheet pan on a lower rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I generally set my stand mixer to start creaming at medium speed, let it go for a minute or 2, scrape the bowl, then crank it up higher and let it go for 5-8 more minutes while I wander around the house doing something else. There’s a definite change in shininess and smoothness that happens way after it looks like everything is incorporated and you can’t feel the sugar anymore. I swear, if I watch it then it never changes.

You really do want the butter to be thoroughly soft, though, like been sitting out for several hours. If I know I need to make a buttercream in the evening after work, I’ll take it out of the fridge in the morning before I go to work.