Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Amergin posted:

Made a batch of Blueberries & Cream cookies for a nerd gathering this weekend. We ended up using a combination of freeze-dried and "regular" dried blueberries so you'd get a decent blueberry flavor throughout with the occasional blueberry chunk bomb of flavor. Unfortunately I waited until I could see a bit of brown on the bottom so they ended up more overbaked/crunchier (but still good flavor) rather than chewy. Nuke them in the microwave and they were fine, though.

My question to you all is: What other fruit would be good to use in combination with the "milk crumb" used in these cookies? I was thinking strawberries would be the obvious next choice, possibly another combination of freeze-dried and regular dried with both being roughly chopped.

Also: You can eat those milk crumbs straight. Like goddamn. I'm thinking of trying them in combination with L&P's tea cake or coffee cake or muffins or something, I just need more of it.

without clicking the link, I knew it was loving Christina Tosi as soon as you said "milk crumbs" ugh

I'd try peaches, raspberries, maybe apricots or mangoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lately my favorite (bar) cookie is Smitten Kitchen's blondie recipe, with some adaptations: Brown the butter, add some toasted chopped pecans, about 1/8th cup of whiskey, and spread a bit of chocolate on top. It's a stupid easy recipe and it's got the same toffee/caramel thing going on as boozy pecan pie. https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/blondies/

Also here's my mom's easy old trick for putting chocolate on any kind of bar cookie: Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the bars as soon as they're done, then pop in the oven for another 30-60 seconds to melt. Then just spread them across the top with an offset spatula.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do that on toffee, but I don't put it in the oven, the residual heat melts the chips. Wonder if that would work on the blondies, just give them a few minutes.

Oh it would. I'm just impatient. Plus the oven is still hot, so why not.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

fknlo posted:

I made the basic chocolate chip cookies from the ATK book and had to have hosed something up. They're not sweet enough at all and maybe too buttery I guess? I didn't brown the butter enough, so I'm sure that plays some part in it, but they just aren't right. I probably should have used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet too.

I obviously overcooked them a bit even though I barely left them in for the minimum recommended time. I guess I need to grab an oven thermometer to see if it's off.

fknlo posted:

I made the basic chocolate chip cookies from the ATK book and had to have hosed something up. They're not sweet enough at all and maybe too buttery I guess? I didn't brown the butter enough, so I'm sure that plays some part in it, but they just aren't right. I probably should have used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet too.

I obviously overcooked them a bit even though I barely left them in for the minimum recommended time. I guess I need to grab an oven thermometer to see if it's off.

Did you bake them on a silpat? I find that sometimes a silpat will be too 'slippery' for some cookies and the edges will get thin and over cooked. There's no grip to keep the edges in place until they firm up. This isn't a problem with most cookies, but maybe that contributed.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I like the Smitten Kitchen lemon bars (which I think is based on an Ina Garten one). They're nice and tart. There's two versions, with a thick lemon layer and a thinner one. Make the thick, obviously.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m getting mentally prepared to start loving w cakes. I know I won’t be super terrible from the lessons I’ve gained w cookies but I’m still going out of my comfort area.

I’m gonna start w the vanilla cake from Emma’s Goodies. https://youtu.be/U9Qdmemc6NY

Any tips on flouring/buttering a pan, or on cutting out the parchment paper for the bottom? Honestly, I have always kinda sucked at tracing stuff like a circle around a vase, etc.

there is no tracing and hardly any cutting required: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJHqKLtJ0o

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I made this strawberry cake for Valentine's Day: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/strawberry-cake/

The cake itself was meh (it won't be at all pink unless you add dye, it was really dense, and it didn't taste like much of anything), but the frosting was holy poo poo good. It's just a standard cream cheese frosting but with a bunch of powdered freeze dried strawberries in it. I used an entire bag of Trader Joe's strawberries (I think just over an ounce), which was a lot more than the recipe called for, but I really wanted it to be STRAWBERRRRRY. It turns a beautiful color and the flavor is strong. The little bit of tartness from the cream cheese is perfect with fruit. Just watch for the little silica gel bag if you dump it straight into your in blender/processor cause I almost missed it...

Def going to try it with raspberries or blueberries or whatever other freeze dried fruit I can find. And probably just use a chocolate or white cake base.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

listrada posted:

I made this the other week myself. The frosting is amazing!! My cake turned out dense but I thought it was flavorful and delicious. I used a bunch of frozen field strawberries we picked by hand last June, though. Maybe your berries just weren't super flavorful to begin with?

Maybe not. I used a pound bag of frozen from Trader Joe's. It gave me about 2 cups of puree, so getting it down to 1/2 cup concentrated it more than it called for. I figured that would give me a nice flavor, but nope. The frosting made up for it though mmmm

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nwin posted:

Good brownie recipe anyone? I saw bravetarts recipe on serious eats but people describe it more cakey than fudgie. I need a fudgie brownie.

This is the only brownie recipe I use anymore when I need a chocolate fix. It’s super rich and fudgey https://www.browneyedbaker.com/the-baked-brownie/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks but unfortunately that says to use cups of flour which makes it a poo poo recipe in my eyes and not worth bothering.

You can’t be bothered to peel 10 apples but you’re also too good for volume measures lol

are you that guy that needed a super complicated faster way to peel 4 potatoes too