Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Cookies are a loving joy. I try to bake as much as I can. This week I've finally tried an M&M cookie recipe that turned out phenomenal and an Andes' mint cookie that have great texture.

I don't have any pictures readily available but it's all I use my Instagram for.

https://www.instagram.com/boywhiz88/

While not cookies, I'm excited to try an experiment where I bake this pumpkin bread recipe 3x but change the kind of cinnamon I'm using. I want to see what differences I can note. I loving love baking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Where does everyone source their spices and whatnot? I used McCormicks until I was introduced to Penzey's last year. I quickly converted over and covet their gift cards and deals now.

Also, in MN, we have a company, JR Watkins, from Watkins, MN that makes a number of extracts and spices. I've been using their baking vanilla and it's the greatest!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 9, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made applesauce oatmeal chocolate chip raisin cookies last night. Tried this recipe for the 2nd time and took out a 1/4 cup of applesauce. They're the perfect consistency! I've also made 3 batches of lemon bars with another 2 batches coming up this week.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Just made some great M&M cookies! 2nd time doing them. I think I've got the timing nailed down. And they're so big!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made more M&M cookies yesterday. Turned out great. Made ginger cookies today, they're great. Love this recipe! Tonight gonna make chocolate mint brownies!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The brownies are pretty tasty. Could be better, but very good start. Definitely need to work on smoothing it frosting. Any tips?

Not sure what I want to bake tomorrow. Making some more M&M Cookies today before a show.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you have an oven thermometer to check whether your 350° is actually 350°ish?

THIS!!!! I've been baking pretty frequently since 2014. But I always had issues w underbaking. I received an oven thermometer as a gift last fall and it's made such a difference. I typically bake at 10-15 degrees higher to reach the temps I need and keep my oven reheating up.

EDIT: had a really cool windfall the other day. The oven thermometer was part of a care package for my aunt and cousin to encourage me in my paling journey. Got an amazing spatula, my first Penzeys Spices, a bunch of mix-ins like Andes Mint or Buncha Crunch, an embroidered apron that says "The Cookie Guy", and some baking vanilla from JR Watkin's. I love this vanilla, it's just the best! But you can only get it from JR Watkins directly at this time, at least where I live.

Well, I'm finally running low on it and I'm too cheap to pay shipping when it's a considerable fraction of the cost. They've got a promo from their flyer for free shipping for orders over $50. I thought about reaching out in a neighborhood group to see if other people would go in on an order. Then I decided, I'll just do it myself. Unfortunately, I picked up some of their spices I found locally... so my order looked like three 11oz bottles of the vanilla, and ginger.

I'm a big fan of the Bodega Boys podcast, and they've been running this thing w Square's new cash app, think Venmo or PayPal, and you just gotta tweet at them what you need cash for. So I hit them up asking for $50 so I didn't have to pay shipping for my vanilla.

I wake up on Friday to this!

Holy poo poo! So I stayed true to my word and ordered a poo poo load of vanilla!

I also picked up a lot of cheap margarine, used a raincheck for some sugar, got some cheap flour, got JR Watkins vanilla (for frosting and non-baking applications, you see) at a 33% cheaper price than their website, and REALLY cheap M&Ms. So now I've got 4lbs of margarine, 10lbs of flour, 24lbs of sugar, 84 oz of M&Ms, and like 44oz of vanilla (once my order gets here). I plan on using the last little bit to pick up offset spatulas and begin the descent into frosting and cakes.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 27, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

You know, I actually don't, and while this is the first time I've had an issue with this oven not being hot enough, it's probably something worth owning. I see there are some available for ~$7, will the cheap ones still be acceptably accurate?

Thermometer tech hasn't really progressed for decades.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in this story. You just ask for money, and they... give you money?

Pretty much. Some people ask for outrageous stuff. But I figured, keep it conservative and was rewarded.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 27, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm digging these Guittard chocolate chips. Any favorite brands of chocolate or other flavors, spices that people gently caress with?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made molasses spice cookies. Not bad. I feel like they’re under baked in the middle though, despite having all the classic molasses cracks. I’m trying to work my way through recipes from “The Perfect Cookie.” My cousin gifted me this book after hitting a year sober, and now that I’m unemployed I’m gonna try and do as much of it as possible.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Nice.

https://imgur.com/EwwsOz1

That’s my family’s recipe and one of the few non-butter recipes I’ve got

I won a giveaway from JR Watkins so I’m gonna get more baking vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, stainless steel bowls, a rolling pin, a pie plate, and some pastry cutters.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made brown butter for the first time yesterday. Working my way through “The Perfect Cookie” at a glacial pace, but it’s got some cool recipes that I’m excited to try. Yesterday I did its chocolate chip recipe and the results were pretty good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaR9zikgWRd/

Looking forward to retrying then and trying the oatmeal cookie recipe.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey guys new to the thread; do any of you know where to get like candy toppings and frosting and such custom made online? Looking for future Christmas cookie making :3

Sorry, haven’t ever needed to look into something like that. A few years back I did receive an 8-in-1 shaker with a bunch of holiday related sprinkle combos and stuff. So maybe check Walgreens and Target as it gets closer to December.

Made Pâte à Choux for the first time today. Hoping to try it again soon but with something to fill them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BahVMJbAFqh/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BahoZScguq7/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Anyone have any good resources or tips for gluten-free baking? I’ve got some folks w Celiacs who have never had my delicious treats and I want to correct that :)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks for the info, y’all. Last week I announced to friends and family that I’m open for business, amateur-style. Sticking with charging $10-$15 a batch, as I’m not really certain how to charge for my labor or for specific quantities of a batch. I’ll revisit my pricing around the new year.

Does anyone have insight or advice on what to/how to charge for baked goods?

Also, looking for tips and advice on packaging. Not really shipping stuff yet, but giving someone a gallon bag filled w 30 something like 2” diameter cookies is a recipe for crumbling and crushed cookies. Are there cheap, high quantity boxes that I can pick up at Target? I don’t want to spend a dollar a pop on small Glad containers, ya know?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My parents had been bugging to watch Great British Bake-Off, they finally sat me down for an episode and I didn’t realize they were amateurs and not pros! It turned out to be the season w Chetna! I loved it! But drat, Martha made me feel terribly behind the curve when it comes to baking. They wanna watch the other seasons available for streaming w me, but I wanna run through em!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m dying!

The whole time I’m reading I’m waiting for the butter substitute or a sarcastic comment about loving vegans, just use butter.

Then I reached the edit! Too good

Gonna try monster cookies for the first time today

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

gently caress yeah those green Mint cookies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Fellow bakers: Target has big things going this week! They’ve apparently started Guittard chips which are great! 40 cents cheaper than Cub! My friend Jen swears by em! Ghiradelli baking bars, cocoa, and big bags of chip have a 20% Cartwheel coupon. The 24oz bags go down to $4.79 from $6, they’re cheaper than Nestle! And cheapest I’ve seen by far since at least July!

Repost from my FB but I figured folks might appreciate the info. It’s most relevant if you’re in the Twin Cities, it’s the most relevant but hopefully it might help some folks.

Love those cookies, any chance you could share the spumoni recipe?

Does anyone have interest in a baking thread? I love the cookie thread but want to share more, and get more advice, recipes, etc for other baked goods!

The title I’m thinking of is The Baking Thread: baking is a science, cooking is a fart

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's a pretty cool trick actually. Taste good?

This post both raises and answers questions for me.

I pretty much just make drop cookies and have always used a scoop where I can. It’s quick and uniform. I always get comments about how nice my cookies look and how similar they are, etc.

I never understood that, but this post makes me realize that maybe people don’t use scoops as often as I thought they did. It also explains why a lot of the cookies posted in this thread might not be uniform etc.

So, who uses a scoop and why or why not?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yo, is 300 degrees not a typo? The length of bake time lines up w such a low temp, but at the same time, 300 is soooo low. I’ve never seen a temp that low for cookies. Hope you see this soon as I’m gonna try tonight.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

300 is correct! Also, if anyone finds out where to buy cinnamon chips, let me know because everyone around here stopped carrying them and what else am I going to put in my scones?? :ohdear:

I haven't baked any cookies lately, but that's going to change once I get out of my holiday stupor because...

...I got a late Christmas present in the mail yesterday!! :v:

YES! I need to get back on track of working through it one recipe a week or so, but it’s gorgeous and so fun to paw through and window shop and plan. I browned butter for the first time to make their chocolate chip cookie recipe.

It’s an expensive buy-in but would you, or any poster, want to do like a book club except it’s making a recipe each week from the book? Think Great British Bake-Off rather than ICSA. Share our pics and stories of the process, etc. I’m trying to motivate myself to bake more and just be on top of things better. I need a gym buddy, but less sweat and weights, more indulgent cookie baking and encouragement/accountability.

Thoughts Goons?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh and the cookies came out great. I’ll prolly put in another half teaspoon of peppermint extract, and maybe up the Andes Mint quantity.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

How do you folks motivate yourselves to bake? I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies, but I’m tired, but I’m also not going to do anything if I don’t bake.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I haven’t tried the ATK recipe, but this is the recipe I’ve been using the last couple years: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/classic-snickerdoodles/

I had tried 2 others before landing on this one. The prior recipes were either all butter or all shortening. I feel like this recipe being 50/50 is what makes the cookies so good.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, I have a 40 in the form of OXO's medium cookie scoop and it put my cookies on another level compared to the tsp sized one I had.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

People where I work will eat literally anything you bring in. We had a guy at my last facility that would literally bring in bags of chip crumbs to clean out his pantry and they'd be gone within an hour.

I got the Sally cookie cookbook yesterday and tried my first recipe.

Peanut butter Nutella Swirl cookies. They're good even though I'm somehow really bad at making the little fork marks on the top.

Sally as in Sally’s Baking Addiction? I use her chocolate chip recipe and have been happy w most that I’ve made from her website.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

Sally's Cookie Addiction. I really like these cookies, I'll see what my coworkers think tomorrow. They liked the last batch I made even though I didn't think they were quite sweet enough.

Hell yeah. I didn’t realize she had books and now I have 2 on my wishlist. I’ve been really happy w the recipes I’ve tried from the website. Thanks for the info! Are you familiar w her website? The way you responded I’m not sure but if not check it out!

https://www.sallysbakingaddiction.com

My cousin turned me on to her and Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 23, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My apartment the last couple weeks was insanely hot due to issues w my thermostat. So the butter I had left out to warm up before using them got a bit melty, and the eggs were affected as well. All the same, I made dough w them 2 nights ago and then baked last night.

They were my PB Cookies so normally p flat and retains the crosshatch pattern. This batch was suuuper puffy and a bit more cracked than normal. You can’t tell I made a cross hatch. Just funny to see how little things can affect the outcome.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I treated myself to a 4qt stainless sauce pan. I grossly underestimated how big it is. Any tips for making caramel and fruit/sugar stuff (I’m blanking on the term hard.) I need to use a mitt/pot holder for the handles, right? I got some YouTubing ahead of me.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Those are amazing! I took a cake decorating 101 class and I was awful. I mean, obviously I wasn’t a whiz prior but I didn’t expect to have such poor control etc. It also didn’t help that I have v warm hands so my buttercream was melting.

How did you get into decorating? How did you do those cookies??

Ugh, such beautiful creations! I’m jealous!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Don’t hold us in suspense!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ben Nevis posted:

How'd the cookies come out? Those look like a potential hit in my family.

https://instagram.com/p/Bhc8zqXlUrM/

They came out great for me!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’ve been sick the last 4 days and all I wanna do is bake

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So it’s getting to be that time of year where I cannot leave butter to soften over the work day without it getting melty. How long do goons take to soften their butter?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, I’ve made those a couple times to great resound. Although they each came out a bit dry but I think I just need to reduce the time, or increase the PB.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Got a buddy in a band coming into town, asked what he wanted for his batch and he threw me for a loop: espresso-something. Any recipes for a delicious cookie w/ espresso flavor?

"oooo you ever mess with like toffee cookies or poo poo with espresso??"

Toffee suggestions are open as well but I have no experience with toffee nor know what it is!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Coffee+Toffee is pretty much a winning combo whatever you do.

Cappuccino Crinkles are a good choice if you want something very chocolaty. Don't have a particular favorite recipe for these but I have made these before: https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cookies/cappuccino-crinkles/

I liked these Espresso Chocolate Shortbread cookies: https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/espresso-chocolate-shortbread-cookies/

I was actually thinking about trying to making some kind of pecan + toffee cookie tonight to see how that would go.

Thanks! I don’t really drink coffee so I don’t have any instant stuff on hand. What should I grab or avoid? Wanna try one of these recipes today!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I ended up going w Medaglia D’Oro.

Does anyone have recipes for cookies w candy? Preferably a non-chocolate candy. I’m not sure where to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s my 30th birthday and I put together a show w some local bands I love. I’m selling cookies and all proceeds go to an AIDS foundation and a fund for artists affected by a fire that happened a couple weeks back. I got distracted so I didn’t do everything I wanted but I have 2 batches of chocolate chip, 2 batches of Snickerdoodles, a batch of oatmeal raisin, and a batch of M&M cookies. I’m hoping to squeeze in a double batch of my lemon bars as well.

I love baking.