Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In the Brutalists campaign, an Aberrant has shown up for the first time. Those are the mutant, 'boss' zombies with horrific mutations and abilities. They are optional - GMs can make them urban legends but they can add an extra element of horror to the game, particularly as a WTF OH GOD RUN kind of thing.

There will be rules and some example aberrants in the game, but it is easy to make up your own. For example, Candyman is one used on the Technical Difficulties podcast:

quote:

The Candyman, as they suspected, turned out to be an Aberrant that was boiled alive in melted sugar, making a horribly burned Aberrant with a thick, rotten caramel coating.

Would you guys use them in your game? Do you have any ideas for new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Caleb's been doing quite a few interviews, but I got the opportunity to listen to NPC Cast's interview.

https://npccast.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/red-markets-with-caleb-stokes/

The host (possibly the goon Sarx?) asked a lot of good questions. One of them was about the inception of the ideas that led to Red Markets. Caleb said every campaign he had been in or read about at some point players try to set up a business. Usually to get rid of the loot they have acquired.

Ross, can you go into a summary of the MBA rules in Red Markets (a stretch goal I think) that details how characters can invest in existing NPC businesses and start their own?

In the vein of game simulation of business there is...

*) RPPR ran an Iron Heroes campaign Fortunes of War where the players had to support a traveling army by running businesses
http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/fortunes-of-war-an-iron-heroes-campaign/

*) Carpe Fulgur (also goons) localized the cute anime shop selling game/dungeon rogue-like Recettear in 2010. Despite the cutesy anime exterior, Recettear was about sending adventurers to their doom to acquire fantasy gear to sell so that the cute anime main character can get out of debt or else the bank fairy repossesses your home.

Great game, beloved by many and spawned the following memes.

http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/

Game is serious

Appropriate summary

Rogue Trader Recettear conversion

*) In 2012, the Tale of the Industrious Rogue was posted to /tg/. The GM, with equal parts exasperation and admiration, regales the internet with a Pathfinder campaign that got totally derailed and turned into a business building simulator when a rogue got a bright idea after realizing that a throwaway area in a minor dungeon was a permanent portal to the elemental plane of salt.

The GM's repeated attempts to shut down the mine and return the party to the campaign were creatively thwarted.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tale_of_an_Industrious_Rogue,_Part_I

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 7, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

In the Brutalists campaign, an Aberrant has shown up for the first time. Those are the mutant, 'boss' zombies with horrific mutations and abilities. They are optional - GMs can make them urban legends but they can add an extra element of horror to the game, particularly as a WTF OH GOD RUN kind of thing.

There will be rules and some example aberrants in the game, but it is easy to make up your own. For example, Candyman is one used on the Technical Difficulties podcast:

I would probably use them to throw my players off once they become as complacent as you can become in the game.

How do extreme elements affect the casualties? I know from the latest episode that the virus animates them like a puppeteer but how does extreme heat, ala a desert or humid environment, or extreme cold affect them? Is it like World War Z, where winter is the time to go out and kill zombies since they're frozen solid or immovable due to ice?

I'll probably run a campaign in Louisiana or Texas so deterioration due to the elements would probably play a big part in the ecology of the casualties.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

clockworkjoe posted:

I thought of something called a Hijacker. It's a casualty whose feet and torso were eaten down to the spinal chord, but the chord itself wasn't damaged enough to make the body nonviable for the blight. The spine becomes thick with blight, hardens into a leathery skin made of thick, coiled blight strands and can be used as a prehensile tail for mobility. Often times found in multi-story apartments, duct works or forests.

The hijacker itself is an ambush predator. It grabs onto the arms of its victim and rams its "tail" down a person's throat. If they aren't latent or immune and fail a resistance check, they have to make a health check. If they fail that it becomes an instant vector but doesn't correspond to normal vector behaviors. Given just a few seconds it begins to flee or attack based on the odds as it rides the vector either into combat or away and does so intelligently using rudimentary tactics. The casualties' head is flung back to accommodate the spinal tail can't see correctly and the hijacker, who uses its body as a shield, acts as its eyes. Basically it rides a 28 days later zombie, can create them amazingly quickly and directs them intelligently or releases them as a distraction to hunt more prey. Think of it as part jockey and part face-hugger but with more body horror and an ambush predator's intelligence.

In a group I wouldn't attack the group itself first. I'd lampshade it either with found footage, attacking an NPC or riding a vector into combat if the odds are 1v1.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I would probably use them to throw my players off once they become as complacent as you can become in the game.

How do extreme elements affect the casualties? I know from the latest episode that the virus animates them like a puppeteer but how does extreme heat, ala a desert or humid environment, or extreme cold affect them? Is it like World War Z, where winter is the time to go out and kill zombies since they're frozen solid or immovable due to ice?

I'll probably run a campaign in Louisiana or Texas so deterioration due to the elements would probably play a big part in the ecology of the casualties.

Extreme cold slows them down or freezes them but they can thaw out and still be dangerous.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The interlude with the Crusaders and how the impossibility of studying the Blight drove them mad is making think of a Sleeper Aberrant.

Back during the height of the Ebola virus crisis in Africa, I read somewhere that the eyes (and the testes) have some sort of exemption to the body's immune system.

I'm thinking that there might be Immune people who still have the Blight swimming around in their corneas and aqueous humor, and it tries to manipulate them by altering what they see. Maybe they even know, but they can't trust themselves because their eyes are lying to them. You could throw one into the middle of an enclave and watch as the thin fabric of civility unravels in the face of everyone going paranoid over someone who can spread the infection but looks otherwise completely normal.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

In the vein of game simulation of business there is...

*) Carpe Fulgur (also goons) localized the cute anime shop selling game/dungeon rogue-like Recettear in 2010. Despite the cutesy anime exterior, Recettear was about sending adventurers to their doom to acquire fantasy gear to sell so that the cute anime main character can get out of debt or else the bank fairy repossesses your home.

Great game, beloved by many and spawned the following memes.

http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/

So kismet is a real force evidently.

On the day I posted this at 8:44pm I got the following email.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalsun/moonlighter

quote:

From Square Enix Collective.

Moonlighter is an action-RPG game with rogue-lite elements about Will, an adventurous shopkeeper that secretly dreams of becoming a hero. To earn the daily bread, he needs to venture into the dungeons near his town, defeat strange enemies and obtain loot to be sold at his shop.

The Collective community loved this pitch when it was in the Feedback phase, so now it's on Kickstarter, will you Help Make Something Awesome?

Kickstarter posted:

We want the player to have a lot of fun exploring dungeons, defeating enemies and getting more powerful, but also to worry about questions like: How much money should I ask for this item? Should I keep or sell this artifact? Should I invest my money on more shop space or potions? Which weapon should I upgrade? How do I get enough money for that?

So looks like they are remaking Recettear. Seems like Red Markets was ahead of the trend for games focusing on the economy this season.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

So looks like they are remaking Recettear. Seems like Red Markets was ahead of the trend for games focusing on the economy this season.

Those arrows are pointing the wrong way, aren't they? You loot the dungeon and go to town, where you gear up to hit the dungeon.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
New game, The shopkeep uses his profits to secretly build and improve a more enticing dungeon; leading adventurers to their doom. He then loots the bodies, resets the dungeon and sells their stuff to the next party of adventurers.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

The interlude with the Crusaders and how the impossibility of studying the Blight drove them mad is making think of a Sleeper Aberrant.

Back during the height of the Ebola virus crisis in Africa, I read somewhere that the eyes (and the testes) have some sort of exemption to the body's immune system.

I'm thinking that there might be Immune people who still have the Blight swimming around in their corneas and aqueous humor, and it tries to manipulate them by altering what they see. Maybe they even know, but they can't trust themselves because their eyes are lying to them. You could throw one into the middle of an enclave and watch as the thin fabric of civility unravels in the face of everyone going paranoid over someone who can spread the infection but looks otherwise completely normal.

I like that idea - it becomes like a RPG version of Werewolf/Mafia - who's the infectious vector and how do we find them? Obviously the sleeper needs some kind of tells that make it possible to find them. Perhaps a meat only diet that gradually becomes cannibalism?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Those arrows are pointing the wrong way, aren't they? You loot the dungeon and go to town, where you gear up to hit the dungeon.

*looks up from looting the town* Ummm.....

Moto42 posted:

New game, The shopkeep uses his profits to secretly build and improve a more enticing dungeon; leading adventurers to their doom. He then loots the bodies, resets the dungeon and sells their stuff to the next party of adventurers.

Weirdly I thought of Sweeney Todd as a Dungeon Keeper. Maybe I have musicals on my mind.

----

If you are new to Red Markets

Here is a 17 pdf of the setting during the alpha. Written by Caleb Stokes : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3he8CJfYGjSZVVoa3Azbk9pU28/edit?usp=sharing

----

Re: Aberrant zombies

I had some ideas I posted long ago.

Sasquatch Type:

quote:

I just had a sinister thought. Most zombies are not expert climbers/mountaineers as you said. What if the sasquatch/yeti was real? And we only found that out when aberrant versions of the yeti took out supposedly safe mountain enclaves?

Imagine a “Come to Safeville” recorded radio announcement on repeat and players have heard of the impregnable mountain fortress located in a high elevated area.

Imagine their horror as they trudge up the mountain pass, seeking shelter from a blizzard, and they find the fortress’s sheet metal walls have been rent apart by a force comparable to a bulldozer.

The only greeting is silence and the falling snow.

Edit: Or what if the origin of these Aberrants is completely unknown? Maybe the Blight just supercharged some animal with super strength, unholy mountaineering skills, and snow-stealth ...and the side effect is that it shuffles/lumbers like a hominid? Maybe chimps escaped from a zoo...or that secretive "FEMA" research camp with all those biohazard signs and those aggressive snipers....

K through 9 Type:

quote:

Children are suppost to be very flexible. Far more flexible than adults. Add to this that zombification removes all/most physiological governors of pain and so forth from an infected physical abilities.

So imagine a classroom of five year olds running at full speed in a close knit wolfpack after some unlucky taker. Now imagine the Taker shimmies up a 40 foot wall because he can grasp the handholds.

Now imagine the classroom of moaning and sobbing infected kids looking up at him drooling, and then starting to instinctively form a human ladder with child after child doing insane olympic level acrobatics to jump onto one other's shoulders so that some of their numbers can climb the wall and bring the precious precious brains down to them.

I'm suggesting a variant of zombie that infects a group of children turning them into a super acrobatic and agile psudo hivemind.

The "bonus" to this is that the question of "how many five year olds can you beat up in a fight" meme that keeps floating around the internet can be realistically addressed in game.

Ettin Type:

quote:

What if a headshot doesn't kill a zombie? How could such an Aberrant come about in a Red Market's universe?

My first thought was, what if Takers come across an Aberrant that has two or three heads (redundancy) grafted on to it. The creature dies only if all three heads (motor control centers) are shot.

Maybe such a creature could arise if some evil scientist carried out some sort of vascular (assuming the Blight in this case requires the vascular system to invade and operate it's human host) and whole head transplant of one zombie onto another. Naturally this could only be a post Blight operation. Why? There my creativity fails me as I mumble "supersoldiers I guess" and kick a can down the street.

Alternately Aberrants are rife for Dead Space style "must cut off every limb to destroy it's motor control" but the mechanism for such a horror is not something I have an idea for at the moment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

I like that idea - it becomes like a RPG version of Werewolf/Mafia - who's the infectious vector and how do we find them? Obviously the sleeper needs some kind of tells that make it possible to find them. Perhaps a meat only diet that gradually becomes cannibalism?

Yeah, I was thinking you could have two of them - the Takers find the first one, and they've put out their own eyes once they realized what was happening, but their partner has lost it and is making for the Recession/an Enclave. This blind Aberrant can give the Takers clues on tells that their partner will have, and then they need to race the Aberrant back to the Enclave. Throw in one (or more) Legs as a complication and that determines whether they get to the Enclave before the Aberrant does.

If they beat the Aberrant to the gates, then they "just" need to convince the Enclave defenders to shoot/stop an otherwise completely healthy looking human. If they dawdle too long in the Leg, the Aberrant is already inside and they need to use the clues given to them by the Blind Partner to suss out the infiltrator.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Newest Brutalist game features PCs trying to do 2 jobs at once. Double the pay, double the pain. It also shows that the system can allow for flexible job structuring - I've tinkered with ideas about modifying the basic structure of do a job, then get paid - for example

Take on multiple jobs at once - and receive partial payments on milestones - problem is that each job is time sensitive so PCs have to hop from job to job in order to keep each job line going.

Minor jobs that only take one or two legs - try to string tons of small gigs together in order to survive - the Uber model of taking.

Clients pull a fast one and delay payment based on secondary objectives.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Are the rules for other economic systems still in the game, as mentioned in the start of the setting document? I haven't heard much about them, but that makes me even more excited since I was definitely planning on trying to make a hack that involved different economies (Say, barter/rep in the cyberpunk slums and actual capitalism for dealing with the megacorps, with differently tracked currencies).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Man, I can barely wait for the "Ross is the Market" playtest campaign to see hear how it feels like when it's Caleb playing a taker.

Doc Aquatic posted:

Are the rules for other economic systems still in the game, as mentioned in the start of the setting document? I haven't heard much about them, but that makes me even more excited since I was definitely planning on trying to make a hack that involved different economies (Say, barter/rep in the cyberpunk slums and actual capitalism for dealing with the megacorps, with differently tracked currencies).

I'm not sure about rules, but I was listening to the Technical Difficulties podcast and they did mention that in the enclave creation section, there are a number of different economic models for each enclave to have. One of the extreme ones is collectivism taken to its final and logical conclusion where no one owns any private property.

RedMarketsCaleb
May 22, 2016

quote:

Are the rules for other economic systems still in the game, as mentioned in the start of the setting document? I haven't heard much about them, but that makes me even more excited since I was definitely planning on trying to make a hack that involved different economies (Say, barter/rep in the cyberpunk slums and actual capitalism for dealing with the megacorps, with differently tracked currencies)

Yes, there are many rules for economics "still in the game." Now that we've hit the MBA rules, there are even more. Currently, there are rules for...

Different types of microeconomies for an enclave (mixed, lassiez-faire, controlled, minimum basic, barter, etc)
Charting Supply/Demand curves for the prices of goods/services
Manipulating Supply/Demand curves
Negotiating/Haggling
Selling goods on an individual basis (i.e. apocalyptic Craigslist)
Selling goods on a regular basis (i.e. apocalyptic Etsy)
Hiring help
Reputation/Branding for Taker Crews (PC companies)
Wholesaling
Shrinkage of inventory
Work/Life Balance
Investment/Speculation

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
So to clarfiy, thanks to the MBA level, we have rules on running caravans between Enclaves (Selling goods on a regular basis)

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Awesome, I was mostly curious because the pitch for the kickstarter read to me as focused on capitalism, so I wouldn't have been surprised if the scope had been focused on that from a broader early draft. I'm excited that it hasn't, though!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hey Doc Aquatic. Apropos of nothing, are you the same Doc Aquatic who wrote "The Complete Doc Aquatic Brand Percentile Random Adventure Table" ?

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1099340/

Edit: vvvv Cool. Cheers.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 7, 2016

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Hey Doc Aquatic. Apropos of nothing, are you the same Doc Aquatic who wrote "The Complete Doc Aquatic Brand Percentile Random Adventure Table" ?

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1099340/

Nah, I got the name from The Areas of my Expertise, and I'd bet they did, too. It's one of the only hobo names punchy enough to work as a username.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Just organizing some Red Markets podcasts and links for future reference.

Red Market's Actual Plays (How Does It Play?)

RPPR's The Brutalists: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/red-markets/

Technical Difficulties' The Reformers: http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/episodes?tag=red+markets

One Shot's Red Market's campaign: http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/150-red-markets-part-1/

RPPR's Fallen Flag (Patreon Preview atm) : https://www.patreon.com/posts/rppr-illustrated-5734958

Interviews with Caleb Stokes about Red Markets (What Does It Do?)

NPC Cast' : https://npccast.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/red-markets-with-caleb-stokes/

Technical Difficulties : http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/episodes/2016/5/30/table-chatter-caleb-stokes-red-markets

Misdirected Mark :http://misdirectedmark.com/red-markets-with-caleb-stokes/

Insert Quest Here :https://insertquesthere.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/interview-with-caleb-stokes-of-hebanon-games/

The Redacted Files :http://www.theredactedfiles.com/?p=2273

The Rancor's Brothel :http://rancorsbrothel.libsyn.com/between-two-crits-talking-red-markets-with-caleb-stokes

OBSESSIVE COMICS DISORDER : TBA http://ocdcast.com/

Legends of Tabletop : http://www.legendsoftabletop.com/?p=1535 ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLqs6_GIIm8

Bloodred Moon : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlZmaup9VWU

Podcast at Ground Zero : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrDPmjmYAQ

Microphones of Madness : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22xsPg5efEs

Red Market's Game Development (How This Was Made)

Developer Diaries : http://hebanon.blogspot.com/search/label/Red%20Markets

Game Designer's Workshop Podcast: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

<insert link to GENCON seminar(s) here>

Please post if I'm missing anything.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 16, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The first episode of the Fallen Flags campaign where Ross Payton is The Market is up on RPPR's Patreon as a patron-exclusive preview.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
^^^^ thanks gradenko_2000

Caleb's been busy.

Added 3 youtube podcast interviews.

Which lead me to the Podcast at Ground Zero channel.

quote:

Podcast at Ground Zero is your destination for the apocalyptic genre in all of its forms. Covering various topics from books, TV, movies, analog and digital games, music and much more. As well as featuring guests and co-hosts from the apocalypse. Guiding you through the wastelands will by your hosts Jarred "Apocalypse Nerd" Wallace and Adam "Bomb" Glancy.

http://podcastatgroundzero.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?podcastatgroundzeroshow

Post Apoc Images

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/380765343477870098/

I haven't explored this yet but it looks like it could be a great post apoc resource.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

So, one of the major themes of Red Markets is that, like zombies, the dangers of our jobs kinda fade into the background and get ignored even though they can kill us easily.

I think I found the perfect illistration of this:
Meet this guy, His Job is to Feed Angry Snakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF0eU-iL8cU

What do you do for a living? ... I kite casualties away from the gates, sucks getting chased all day, and that side of the moat's really boggy, so you have to be careful not to get bogged down or they'll get ya, but it sure beats planting sweet potatoes all day.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
He hasn't updated the stretchgoal graphics, but Red Markets hit 52k so now it will be in color!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Twibbit posted:

He hasn't updated the stretchgoal graphics, but Red Markets hit 52k so now it will be in color!

It's going to hit the trades by Monday, which outside of Carrion Economy it's the goal I wanted hit most

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

started early work on Goon Markets

Only setting up basic information till we get the backer pdf. The plan is to use the group enclave creation.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I really want to set up a starter enclave based in Disney World now. Ross mentioned it in the last episode and I really want to have Disney Princess on Disney Princess blood sport regardless of gender. Men and women in full princess garb beating the poo poo out of one another in full gladiatorial combat.

The park itself is huge and gated and any one of the smaller parks could be set up as enclaves. I'd just love to see how loving depraved Disney would get after five years of zombie apocalypse.

Priests in full Mickey attire. There's such a wealth of terrible Disney lore for the Disney characters that you could form entire cults around them.

The mouse demands blood sacrifice!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twibbit posted:

started early work on Goon Markets

Only setting up basic information till we get the backer pdf. The plan is to use the group enclave creation.

It'd be a ton of book-keeping and stuff but now I'm imagining a shared gamespace things where you have multiple Taker groups working out of the same Enclave. It's like those convention games of B-17 Queen of the Skies where you have dozens of players all on the same bombing run, playing as if they're all on the same attack wing together.

In Red Markets you'd have the GMs coordinating to have the world shaped by all the different Taker groups' actions in the world, and all of them are contributing to a shared pot of bounty whose final goal it is to buy reintegration into the Recession. You'd have friction from things like this one Taker group that wants to dip into the pot for their own needs because they got really shot up bad on a failed job, or another Taker group's unintended consequences forcing the Enclave to spend on things like reinforced defenses, and everything else that takes away from achieving the final goal ASAP.

I mean, wouldn't you be pissed if you just came off a difficult Score for DHQS that let you contribute 50 bounty to the pot, only to find later that Kowloon's bunch of crazy yahoos are now asking the Enclave to spend more on defenses because they couldn't be arsed to loving pick up after some goddamn lions?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

So, we've gone from coming up with ideas for the game, to making new hacked-in settings, to making some kindof shared-setting meta-game?

It's not even released yet. I'm not sure if this is awesome or terrifying.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It'd be a ton of book-keeping and stuff but now I'm imagining a shared gamespace things where you have multiple Taker groups working out of the same Enclave. It's like those convention games of B-17 Queen of the Skies where you have dozens of players all on the same bombing run, playing as if they're all on the same attack wing together.

In Red Markets you'd have the GMs coordinating to have the world shaped by all the different Taker groups' actions in the world, and all of them are contributing to a shared pot of bounty whose final goal it is to buy reintegration into the Recession. You'd have friction from things like this one Taker group that wants to dip into the pot for their own needs because they got really shot up bad on a failed job, or another Taker group's unintended consequences forcing the Enclave to spend on things like reinforced defenses, and everything else that takes away from achieving the final goal ASAP.

I mean, wouldn't you be pissed if you just came off a difficult Score for DHQS that let you contribute 50 bounty to the pot, only to find later that Kowloon's bunch of crazy yahoos are now asking the Enclave to spend more on defenses because they couldn't be arsed to loving pick up after some goddamn lions?

If I was going to do a shared setting, I would do it as seperate enclaves in the same geographic area. A bit less book keeping while still allowing for the occasional fun cross over. I would have the other GMs try to build at least one job each set that would interact with another Enclave if the players take it.

This method also allows for an easier... falling out plan if issues occur between GMs as you can set the enclaves you are no longer playing with into NPC mode. Cynical but planning for the worst is in the red markets spirit!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Ice Phisherman posted:

I really want to set up a starter enclave based in Disney World now. Ross mentioned it in the last episode and I really want to have Disney Princess on Disney Princess blood sport regardless of gender. Men and women in full princess garb beating the poo poo out of one another in full gladiatorial combat.

The park itself is huge and gated and any one of the smaller parks could be set up as enclaves. I'd just love to see how loving depraved Disney would get after five years of zombie apocalypse.

Priests in full Mickey attire. There's such a wealth of terrible Disney lore for the Disney characters that you could form entire cults around them.

The mouse demands blood sacrifice!

Its major export would still be entertainment - livestreamed performances would be incredibly popular in the Recession, as people want something happy to forget about the Crash. They have enough actors, singers, and playwrights to put on great live shows that bring back the magic. It also makes the enclave very popular as a destination for refugees, which leads to overcrowding, shanty towns outside the enclave etc, which leads to fierce competition for new spots in the enclave, which leads to princess deathmatch - which is livestreamed to a very different audience - so the Disney encalve is very two-faced. There's a happy kingdom as one of the only places in the world creating new happy entertainment and vacations for uber-rich assholes in the Recession and there's a wicked kingdom that feeds into people's dark sides and maintains the safety of the enclave.

Disney of course would have state of the art infrastructure before the Crash and extremely talented imagineers to keep it running, so it's more or less self-sustaining for food, water, and solar/wind power. It needs more heavy weapons and security tech to keep out intruders and refugees. Takers who prove themselves loyal to the enclave are allowed to stay without being a performer or worker but they have to prioritize jobs for the good of the enclave. When the Mouse asks for help, you oblige.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

Its major export would still be entertainment - livestreamed performances would be incredibly popular in the Recession, as people want something happy to forget about the Crash. They have enough actors, singers, and playwrights to put on great live shows that bring back the magic. It also makes the enclave very popular as a destination for refugees, which leads to overcrowding, shanty towns outside the enclave etc, which leads to fierce competition for new spots in the enclave, which leads to princess deathmatch - which is livestreamed to a very different audience - so the Disney encalve is very two-faced. There's a happy kingdom as one of the only places in the world creating new happy entertainment and vacations for uber-rich assholes in the Recession and there's a wicked kingdom that feeds into people's dark sides and maintains the safety of the enclave.

Disney of course would have state of the art infrastructure before the Crash and extremely talented imagineers to keep it running, so it's more or less self-sustaining for food, water, and solar/wind power. It needs more heavy weapons and security tech to keep out intruders and refugees. Takers who prove themselves loyal to the enclave are allowed to stay without being a performer or worker but they have to prioritize jobs for the good of the enclave. When the Mouse asks for help, you oblige.

Walt Disney's frozen head runs the Enclave of course. There are rumors why there are no Jewish princesses.

The two Enclaves I have kicking around my head I kinda digg.

One involves those doomsday apocalypse bunkers rich assholes are building around America, incase nuclear war breaks out or (literally) the poor rise up. Giant subterranean missile silos and bases converted into more comfortable and longer lasting human living space. Things legit built and prepared with hyperbolic gardens, weapons, hospital worthy medical equipment, and even high end electronics/entertainment equipment. A place a well equipped army would have a hard time getting into, let alone zombies. Like most though, they need a poo poo ton of fuel because most of those places are built with the assumption that whatever world ending crisis happens...it'll blow over in a couple of years. Likewise spare parts and people who can maintain their little bomb shelter Instead of closing themselves off from the world and laughing as the poor kill themselves they find themselves entirely reliant on constant trade. Dozens if not hundreds of traders, Takers, and customers coming to give gasoline or a water value or scarp metal in return for bullets, tomatoes, water or medical attention. gently caress rich dudes going from in from the Recession renting out the place like a five star hotel mixed with a safari. All the fun of killing zombies, with little to no risk since your doing from a watchtower that leads right back a tunnel that leads to a nearly impenetrable military base. Hell they could be buying jewelry and gold cheaply from those Ayn Rand asshats. A perfect place for Takers to set up shop, if they can get over the fact the locals hate them for relying on them so much.

The other is one of those megaprisions. Those places are loving industrial farms and entire factories building everything from car engines to body armor. Unlucky assholes (as in both the unlucky and legit evil fuckheads or a combo of the two) have their fortune turn around as they run the equivalent of a superpower in the Loss. Hell the Recession is literally negotiating with them with the starting pitch being "we will expunge all records of yours crimes and full citizenship rights" and is likely to end with "also great wealth and mid to high ranking positions in reconstruction Loss government" in return for heightened unofficial trade right this moment. They still need fuel, trade route protection, and of course help with "expansion" from Takers. They are building a new reputation in the Loss and need deniable assets.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 16, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
What a brilliant stretch goal since we've all been talking about Red Market hacks for ages.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets

quote:

60K Gaming the System Guide

Part style-guide and part meta-analysis, this stretch goals has Caleb Stokes take everyone on a tour through the Profit System. It won't be a prescription or how-to, but rather a schematic for people looking to hack the Red Markets mechanics into different settings. "Gaming the System" dissects the different success ratings, the probability curve, and ways to alter both. It discusses other systems that influenced Profit's design and what hackers can learn from them. We'll get into the guts of the gear system and discuss how to create a list of items that reflects the material reality of your world. We'll talk about how the game's meta-economy works and how to alter it to adjust the game's difficulty. Finally, the game's designer performs a short hack as an example of the principles previously discussed. From there, it's up to individual hackers to get working translating Profit into other settings and wowing the community with their creativity on the LifeLines forums

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Could also be useful for Red Markets. Specifically if you want inspiration for running a world where the Zombie virus adapts quickly, can spread to animals and makes horrific hybrids or comes from the sea initially.

Phoenix Point : X-Com meets Steven King's The Mist. In Development.

Featuring:

-Enemies procedural generated every campaign for maximum surprise and horror.

-By Julian Gollop, the creator of the original X-COM

-Turn-based tactical combat

-Post apoc setting

http://www.phoenixpoint.info/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/phoenix-point-new-xcom-julian-gollop/

quote:

Phoenix Point: Every Detail Of The X-COM Creator’s Return To The Genre

One of the most exciting games in Los Angeles this week won’t be featured at press conferences or on the showfloor. Phoenix Point [official site] is the new tactical-strategy hybrid from Julian Gollop, the creator of the original X-COM, and we met yesterday to discuss its procedurally generated alien threats, simulated human factions and much more. Here’s the world’s first in-depth look at the game.

This is more than a remake of X-COM, that’s clear from the start. While the turn-based tactical combat looks a great deal like Firaxis’s take on the series, with destructible terrain and entirely procedural levels, the strongest and most exciting ideas in Phoenix Point might well be in the strategic layer, which combines elements of grand strategy with the lurking horror of Stephen King’s The Mist. Before digging into all of that though, here’s how the future looks. It’s not pretty.

Phoenix Point may be humanity’s last hope. An isolated settlement of survivors in a world that has gone to hell, it’s a peak rising above a tide of horrors that are threatening to consume what remains of humankind. Your task is to lead the ragtag band of people who have made Phoenix Point their home, at first ensuring that they survive by gathering food and other resources, and later by fighting back against the threats that surround them.

The game is set in 2046 and the last pockets of the human race are hiding in havens, scattered around the world. That’s because something went terribly wrong a couple of decades ago, when the melting of the permafrost released a long-dormant alien virus into the oceans. That virus is capable of mutating any species it comes into contact with, which leads to an initial wave of horrific aquatic creatures, reminiscent of Terror From The Deep, and eventually makes its way onto land.

The virus spreads under the cloak of a mist that you’ll be able to see spreading across the map. It plays a part in tactical combat as well as on the strategic Geoscape layer, and I’ll go into more detail about that later, but right now it’s best to think of it as both a cover system and a literal fog of war. It hides creatures and protects them, and represents both the presence of the alien hordes and a form of corruption that they’re spreading across Earth.

One of the key tenets of Phoenix Point is taken from the most important word in X-COM’s title: Unknown. Gollop tells me that he wants to create a game in which the player will fear the dark and in which the enemy will intelligently react and adapt to their tactical choices. If you repel an initial wave using skillful sniper shots, the next attack might feature new monsters with chitinous shields or front-facing armour, or humanoid hybrids with guns of their own to return fire. Switch tactics to take these new creatures out with incendiary weapons or explosives, and the next batch will find ways to counter that tactic as well.

And if all else fails, the aliens can always just beat you down with their sheer size.

Procedural generation works on two levels,” Gollop explains. “The first is interchangeable body parts. The other thing is morphing in size and shape to some extent. It might be that an alien has a vestigial element that can get larger. Or it might be a relatively small creature that is based on a large insect or bat, but that might get bigger or nastier.”

Initially, the aliens you fight will be based on combinations of sea creatures – I saw crab men but Gollop mentions squids, octopi and sharks as well – but as they force their way in-land, new hybrids will appear, based on animals from the regions in question. That means your location in the world will dictate, to an extent, whether you’re facing petrifying pachyderms or…giant penguins? I make the latter suggestion and Gollop seems enthused.

“Yes, maybe. And elephants with long legs, enormous bats and insects, or giant chameleons with wings.”

Part Dali, part Cronenberg, the aliens of Pheonix Point won’t just be unknown on each playthrough, they’ll be uncanny. And when Gollop uses the word “giant”, he’s not talking about a beefy Muton. Pointing out a skittering monstrosity that seems more claw than flesh and could probably lob a small building at your squad, he describes it as “a tiddler”. Later, when he shows me the first example of a mission in action, the sequence ends with an oil rig being assaulted by something emerging from the deep that seems almost large enough to devour the entire structure.

It’s more reminiscent of Dagon’s attack in Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth than anything I’d expect from X-COM and the Lovecraft quote that opens the presentation makes a lot more sense in the context of these gargantuan horrors. This is a game about biological horror but the virus is cosmic in origin and, I suspect, some of the late game developments will focus on that element.

“I don’t want to give too much of the plot away right now but there are several endings,” Gollop explains. “If you choose to, you’ll learn some interesting things about how the world came to be as it is. The virus has been on the earth for thousands of years and determining its origins is one of the important mid-game objectives that could provide a possible solution.”

We should rewind a little though because as fascinating as the creatures are, and as central to the themes and mechanics of the game as they might be, I’m surprised to find myself more excited about how Gollop is handling the other human survivors. Aliens, I expected; I didn’t expect a deep strategic simulation reminiscent of both Alpha Centauri’s factions, grand strategy and X-COM: Apocalypse’s complex diplomacy.

The loop of the original X-COM and Firaxis’ take on the series involves sequences of alien activity, both in the tactical and strategic levels, and then the player’s response. Phoenix Point adds an extra complication with the activity of other factions.

Across the world, you’ll discover havens, places where humans have managed to survive, usually because of some geographical quirk that prevents the alien mist from drowning them. Because the collapse of civilisation and the presence of the mist have isolated these havens from one another, they’ve developed radically different ways of thinking about the world, and the aliens. That means they might be friendly or hostile to you, and to one another, depending on how you choose to progress through any given playthrough.

It’s the fact that they might attack one another that I find most exciting. When it comes to strategy games, I always feel much more comfortable within a simulated world that can unfold without my influence. It’s one of the reasons I love Paradox’s grand strategy releases: they’re engines for the creation of alternate histories that you can partake in, but they don’t direct all of their attention toward the player.

Phoenix Point, like Apocalypse before it, shares some of those qualities. Factions will develop their own agendas and develop technology, and they need to gather resources to survive just as you do. They’ll make alliances and fight one another, as well as battling against the aliens, and entire conflicts and emergent stories can play out without your involvement should you choose to turn your attention elsewhere.

You might be wondering why the last remnants of humanity would be fighting one another rather than concentrating on an external threat. First of all, their isolationist nature and divergent ideologies sometimes means they just plain don’t like one another. And then there’s the scarcity of resources in the world – if you need to feed your people and the group just over yonder has a surplus of food that they won’t trade, it’s possible to organise raids.

Of course, you might believe your interests are better served by alliances. Trade and diplomacy are both supported but the distinct belief systems and goals of the factions will eventually cause tension and conflict. You can’t be friends with everyone. There are likely to be more types of human group in the finished game but Gollop has three in mind already.

Sanctuary are a highly scientific ecological group who believe that the future of the planet involves co-existence with the aliens. To that end, they’re developing biospheres in which to contain lifeforms – artificial ecosystems of a sort – and early warning systems, as well as technology that can repel the mist. Their motto, in brief, is “we stay in our space and you stay in yours”.

Taking the opposite view, the Human League are a survivalist militia who believe they can find a military solution to the menace. They don’t think co-existence is possible and want to repel the invasion through force.

Finally, there’s Advena Domine, a religious cult who sacrifice their enemies in a ritual of alien ‘communion’. Normally when a human is infected with the virus, like any other animal they lose their consciousness and become a puppet of the alien force. The cult have developed a tech that allows them to receive the alien DNA while retaining their own consciousness.

In a further twist on the game’s structure, you’ll be able to use the unique tech developed by each of the factions provided you can seize it or have a strong enough relationship to allow for shared research. When it comes to the Advena Domine technology, there’s a distinct nod to Enemy Within – altering your soldiers’ DNA may be beneficial but there is a risk of losing their humanity entirely.

There several other branches of research independent of the other factions. One is purely based on building earth-based technology to improve weapons, armour and equipment, and others are based on the X-COM staple of autopsy and study of the aliens themselves. If you meet a mutant form that is vulnerable to fire, for example, you’ll be able to set your researchers to discover ways to exploit that vulnerability, through development of flamethrowers or incendiary rounds, for example. You’ll be able to explore biogenetics even without Advena Domine influence as well, taking elements of the aliens you encounter to ‘improve’ your own soldiers.

All of that comes later though. Initially, your goal is simply to survive. In an inversion of the usual X-COM setup, you begin with technical superiority but the aliens have sheer weight of numbers in their favour, as well as their ability to mutate and adapt. The other factions will generate missions for you in the early game, providing supplies and tech if you are willing to help them when they’re attacked, but you’ll also need to repel attacks on your own havens. If the mist encroaches on your territory, there’s an immediate risk of attack.

As well as defending what you own, you’ll also need to concentrate on expanding your territory, however, in order to make contact with other factions and to increase the flow of supplies by discovering new scavenging zones. All of this takes place on a Geoscape that looks remarkably like a directly updated version of X-COM’s original globe. There, you can see the advance of the mist and key strategic points, such as scavenging locations and havens.

The majority of your time will be spent in tactical combat, however. Levels are procedurally generated, just as the creatures are, and the visual style is similar to Firaxis’ XCOM. There are changes, however, most notably in the ability to target specific body parts, primarily on larger creatures. You can take out the arm that wields (or IS) a gun, or damage legs to reduce or disable mobility. In the mission I was shown, a creature with a growth on its back that emitted mist, providing cover, shrouded itself in darkness, reducing the accuracy of attacks against it and entirely hiding it from view.

Mist plays a key part in battles, providing a more literal fog of war. Monsters within the mist are a mystery – you can fire on them but they’re indistinct shapes and you won’t have any idea what their abilities are until they emerge or you find a way to evaporate the mist and reveal them. In the example I saw, a sniper with a height advantage managed to take a shot that ruptured the growth from above, infuriating the creature but destroying its ability to hide itself and its allies.

The procedural levels will have their own in-built mini objectives in the form of strategic points scattered throughout. These might be elevated structures or vantages, control rooms, or alien installations. Taking control of them will allow you to play tactical cards, brought into combat from a deck built in the strategic layer, that provide buffs to individual soldiers or entire squads.

Soldiers themselves are fully customisable and there’s an air of XCOM 2’s ragtag bands about them. Post-apocalyptic fighters, without uniforms or regulation haircuts. As well as cosmetic alterations, you’ll be able to give them equipment including spotter drones, various armour types and other enhancements, as well as the weapons you’ve researched. Gollop says class delineations won’t be as strictly defined as in XCOM and its sequel, but it’ll be advantageous to build diverse squads.

All of the changes to the core X-COM idea – whether it be the addition of diplomacy and simulated human factions or the adaptive mutations of the aliens themselves – appear to serve a single purpose. Gollop wants to create an open world strategy game and he wants to create a game that forces the player to alter strategies and tactics on the fly. A successful tactic won’t be effective forever because the enemy will literally morph in order to counter it, and the very weapons you decide to use will determine the kind of aliens you meet.

It’s a tremendously exciting proposition, combining the fears and anxieties of the original X-COM with the polish of Firaxis’ remake. Add that dash of grand strategy and the memories of Apocalypse’s strongest ideas and Phoenix Point becomes something unique. When I arranged to meet Gollop I was half-expecting the game to rely much more on the legacy of its creator and his most famous game. I knew about the adaptive nature of the aliens and the ability to target individual body parts but that seemed like a wrinkle added to the tactical combat rather than a dramatic change.

We won’t be able to play a finished version for a while though. It’s due out in 2018 and it’ll probably be the second half of the year. Gollop is in town to talk to publishers as well as press, and already has a working prototype of the strategic game. Tactical combat is almost ready as well, in pre-alpha form.

With its inter-faction diplomacy and strategic simulation, Phoenix Point excites me far more than a more direct attempt to tap into the memory of X-COM would have done. It’s a bold game which has taken lessons from every strategy game in the series, including Firaxis’ remakes (which Gollop repeatedly enthuses about), but also looks at the wider field of grand strategy and survival horror. For a strategy fan, it’s hard to think of a more exciting reveal in a week that doesn’t normally make a great deal of space for the genre.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Enclave chat

From other boards/sources

The RPPR Fallen Flag (2nd Campaign, GMed by Ross) Enclave.

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1992.0.html

Clockworkjoe

quote:

So Caleb is having me run Red Markets. Here's a brief write up of the enclave we generated.

Enclave Name: Trabajo
Location: Train yard in Greeley Colorado adjacent to a meat processing facility.

Defenses: Boxcar barricades surround the enclave. A weaponized slaughter house continually thins the horde around the enclave by luring in groups for destruction. The slaughter house is funded by the bounty and grimecloth it reclaims from the casualties. Trabajo still maintains one train, which goes on seasonal trading missions with other enclaves. The train’s movement and loud whistle draws many undead away from Trabajo, keeping their numbers in check.

History: Trabajo was founded by Hispanic meat processing workers, who flocked to their job site in the first hours of the Crash, as it was the most defendable site that would allow them in. The workers did not trust the authorities or local community to open their doors to them. Some Catholic priests and nuns went with their congregation. The train yard was emptied out of its local staff, whisked away to more strategic rail sites by the government. The workers fortified the site as best they could, using their tools of trade to fight off the undead. However, they realized they would need to use the trains to protect the site. A team of workers and a nun recruited local trainspotting hobbyists from nearby enclaves, promising them bounty and a high position in Trabajo. A particularly cantankerous hobbyist who insisted on referring to himself as The Conductor saved the enclave by neatly arranging spare boxcars into barricades, even derailing a few without damaging the tracks or other trains. With its perimeter secured, Trabajo became a stable enclave.

Despite its safety from the undead, Trabajao was desperately short on supplies and firepower. Celeste, a former marijuana dispensary owner, provided both when she and her entourage of PMC contractors joined the enclave a few months after the Crash. She came with literal truckloads of supplies but part of her arrangement with the enclave was that no one could ask where the supplies came from. She also insisted that marijuana farms would be set up within the enclave, despite the protests of the church and some workers, who wanted food grown over drugs. She kept Trabajo safe from the growing number of raiders and cultists roaming the countryside and pot became a popular export.

Trabajo has never closed its doors to new members, so many poor college students and faculty from the nearby university joined out of desperation. Most enclaves only allowed in refugees with valuable skills or connections. The leaders of Trabajo all knew what it was like to be an outsider or a member living in the fringe of society before the Crash, so they were more sympathetic than the other enclaves. Anyone can join Trabajo if they are honest and are willing to be judged by the church’s court for any crimes they committed before joining the enclave. Most new members are given penance in the form of difficult and unpleasant work but former bandits and cultists must prove their trustworthiness by months of incredibly dangerous missions for the enclave.
Top Exports: Marijuana and hemp products, grimecloth reclaimed from casualties, milk and meat from livestock processing, freight and logistics service, passenger transport, and education from Catholic schools. Some enclaves pay to send students to the Catholic school, which has the best reputation of any educational establishment in the region.

Top Imports: Fuel for the trains, pot growhouses, and slaughterhouses, is unending. Food, especially grain, for the huge number of citizens is always in demand. Every time an enclave in the region falls, survivors flock to Trabajo. Weapons for the PMC guards, machined tools and rails for the trains also face shortages.

Competition: The DHQS has a large presence in the NORAD facility, 140 miles to the south. The HQ of the Moths, the Ubiq Campus is also in the region as a major player. Trabajo has become a battleground in the cold war between the two factions. Each faction wants to flip Trabajo to its side. The leaders of Trabajo want to stay out of the war, not wanting to suffer government airstrikes or Moth IED attacks.

Other competitors include a well organized convoy of diesel trucks that have alternated between raiding and trading with other enclaves in the region. They have maintained a low profile, but they have targeted Trabajo-affiliated travelers and underbid Trabajo transport contracts before. If anyone can find more information about this group, they will receive a big payday from the Union.

Social Structure: The primary authority in the enclave is called the Union. Made up of the original slaughterhouse workers, the Union runs most of the businesses and infrastructure. The PMC protects the enclave’s walls and polices its citizens. The legal system is presided over by Catholic priests, including several former lawyers for the church and a few Jesuit priests. The Trainspotters run and maintain the trains, effectively giving them veto power over many decisions. If the Conductor refuses to run the train, no one can force him.

Neighborhoods: The Train – engine room and adjacent machine shops. Reserved for the Trainspotters.
Trough: Celeste’s turf – PMC guards, growhouses, and gardens.
First Class: Pullman cars for VIPs and other rich members of the enclave.
Processing: Warehouses converted to barracks. The poor working class neighborhood.
Grand Central: open air marketplace – where hustling and commerce happens.

VIPs: Boss Marta Munez: Leader of the Union and de facto mayor of Trabajo.
The Conductor: Leader of the trainspotters, eccentric and iron willed hobbyist with encyclopedia knowledge of trains.
Cardinal Joseph O’Connell: Appointed as Cardinal of the archdiocese of Denver by the surviving priests. Charismatic and known as a pragmatist. Well-liked by other leaders.
Father Antonio: Defrocked priest and former lawyer. Only public defender of the enclave. Man of the people.
Tammy: Only meth dealer in enclave. Great connections but total white trash. Somehow fatter than she was before the Crash.

------------

Re: Raceway Enclave

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedMarkets/comments/49m0m2/enclave_generation_help_generate_the_official/

DesiResi

quote:

OK Raceway

"Ok, so, holding NASCAR racing at the height of The Crash probably wasn't such a great idea. But you gotta realize that, as Promoters, we had to keep this greatest of American sports alive and keep those patriotic dollars rollin'! Alotta' the sponsors were pretty keen on going ahead, even when not all the drivers and crews turned up. But this was before everyone started buggin' out East so we got enough teams to go ahead and a pretty sizable crowd too! It wasn't until the first lap, with the deafening sound of those engines roarin', that we realized how much of a stupid idea the last NASCAR race in America was..." - Harlan Sweet, Promoter at the OK Speedway Enclave in the documentary "Tales of a Lost Republic".

Oklahoma, south of Tulsa and Glenpool. Relatively rural but with access to arable farmland/plains around it, the more urban area of Tulsa and, most importantly for the economy, great access to what remains of Route 66 across the state.

History

It's known, from footage and testimony uploaded to Ubiq, as the place where the last true NASCAR race in America was held. Doing this during the mid-stages of an epidemic of what was essentially murder-plague and the beginnings of societal collapse, as you'd expect, turned out to be a really dumb idea. Nonetheless the Air Force managed to browbeat state authorities into agreeing to still hold it because they were damned well going to get some recruits out of the $1m or so they'd spent sponsoring and promoting the race and a NASCAR team. It started pretty well, the Air Force and State Police had brought security and set up health checks on entry. Hell, you'd almost be forgiven for thinking that everything was going smoothly (as much as it could in the days leading up to the Crash) and that a hazy afternoon on the raceway was just what America needed to pick itself back up again...

...That was until the race started. The sound of the cheers and the engines acted like a giant electromagnet for every Vector and Casualty from miles around, back then they were spread pretty thin and the large groups of them were only seen in certain cities where things had gotten outta' control. It wasn't long before everyone started hearing the gunshots over the race as the State Police and Air Force personnel outside battled the advance units of what was by now a horde. The race ended about 15 minutes in, when some Vectors broke through onto the raceway itself and caused a two car pile-up...the crowd cheered until they saw the disorientated drivers being ripped apart on the Gigant-O-Screen above the stadium.

Then started the Battle of the Raceway and it's not one that, by all rights, we should have come out of alive. But we did, thanks to the quick thinking of a few brave souls who risked the baying horde to drive tailgating RVs, teams trucks and coaches into position to form a wall around the exposed North-Western portion of the track. Other than that the Air Force and Police managed to get people to block most routes into the stands and barricade the already strong ticket entrances between them, unexpectedly aided by a cadre of tailgating Good Ole' Boys who'd brought a veritable arsenal of guns and ammunition with them and who went hollerin' with gleeful abandon into the fight that had started between errant Vectors and panicked crowds in the stands.

After a day of solid combat and hard months of cleanup OK Raceway was bloodied and depopulated, but somewhat secure. By then everything had really started to go to hell in America and, whilst some left to go home or go East, a large number of survivors stayed in the wreckage of what they saw to be a jewel of the old world. Now, five years later, it's a big transit hub through the South of The Loss, with strong defenses and a trade as roaring as the cars and trucks they send out to transport goods or scavenge The Loss.

Defenses

The stands and ticket gates make up the largest part of the defenses, encompassing about 3/4 of the track and making for near impenetrable walls. A palisade of rusting coaches, trucks and RVs makes up the other 1/4, they've been filled with concrete from a nearby construction site looted in the first year and makeshift battlements have sprung up more recently between the old camera towers originally pushed up to provide defensive platforms for what is known as the "Speedwall".

Economy

Mainly a transit hub for goods moving East to West, especially on the major smuggling route out of the Recession that roughly follows what's left of Route 66. A small protectionist import tax is levied on visitors and traders at the gate (paid in labor, goods or bounty), this is then used to buy essentials, mainly food, fuel and material to maintain facilities as well as the barricades. OK Raceway has set up some small agricultural ventures on the farmland directly around the Enclave but these have yet to alleviate it's dependency on food imports. The real industries here are in precision mechanics on cars, trucks and drones, serviced by an eclectic mixture of workshops boasting former NASCAR pit crews and Air Force personnel, smoked meats and strong liquor (RV-brewed for that real Redneck taste!). As one would expect from the mix of survivors who constructed it the OK Raceway is based upon good ol' Free Market Capitalism and the American Way!

Social Structure

Promoters - Top of the Ladder, these are mainly the leftovers of the race promoters, team owners, sponsors and those who had private boxes atop the South Stand as well as a small cadre of nouveau-riche who have worked their way up since The Crash. They mostly run the government and the largest businesses, generally directing the fortunes of the Enclave through that mixture of vicious competition and privileged cooperation that is peculiar to the very wealthy and right wing. Almost to a man (or woman) they are terrible, terrible people...but rich and needy for the services of Takers.

Drivers - A small but exalted class of surviving NASCAR drivers and a few former Air Force pilots. They generally live a life of wealth, luxury and fame due to the nature of their previous employment. On occasion some are called upon by the Enclave to complete special tasks that require their particular brand of extreme driving skill and daring. A mixed bunch, some are awful blowhards but others are the salt of the earth and in tune with the common man on the street, all have money to spread around if they need jobs doing beyond the walls.

Greasers - The technical middle class that sprang out of the pit lanes and the Air Force recruitment effort, they run or work in most of the garages and workshops that make up a good deal of OK Raceway's industry. The past five years have seen many of them become increasingly imaginative in terms of designs and fixes for all manner of vehicle, think Cuban mechanics on steroids. They're always on the lookout for Takers to gather hard to find parts and the like.

Tailgaters - The lower middle and working class who power the OK Raceway on a daily basis with their toil. Their love of NASCAR is unblemished and red meat, flannel clothing, trucker caps, hard drinkin' and the occasional hootenanny are all par for the course among the Tailgaters. Mostly fans from the stands or from their vehicles outside the OK Raceway they almost relish in the fact that the apocalypse gave them a chance to eat, breathe and live NASCAR every...single...day. A few run small criminal syndicates in the town and meth sometimes briefly becomes a problem in the trailer park that is in the center of the raceway, many more still run their own businesses selling pretty decent BBQ meats or brewing alcohol for the dive bars prevalent in the Enclave. Honest, god-fearin' work is the backbone of any good society, Takers might find some here.

Stewards - The guards and police of the Enclave, mostly former Air Force and State Police personnel along with a few trustworthy Good Ole' Boys. Heavily armed and equipped but with little ammunition to supply themselves for long, they've made do with what resources they can get and a host of makeshift weapons created and maintained by the Greaser community.

Overview of the Enclave

At the top of the stands are the private boxes, long turned into luxury housing for the wealthy and important such as the Promoter or Drivers, moving downwards we find varying levels of housing quality both inside and on the stands themselves, a relatively well built shanty inhabited principally by the Greasers and the Stewards. The track itself and its pit stops are half overtaken by workshops and businesses of all kinds though space has been intentionally cleared to leave a two lane passage open to vehicles passing through the town from the North-West palisade to the Eastern Freight Gate. Between this lays the mass of housing that covers the grass bowl in the center of the track, made up of poorly built shanties and the occasional RV for lucky residents. The majority of the Tailgaters live here, along with some Greasers and

Stewards. The OK Speedway is an almost physically tiered society between the classes, the only exception being the Western Gates fenced in entrance lobby, which holds a small amount of housing for the Enclave's Latent population.

-----------

Re: Hospital Enclave with Latents

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1785.135.html

by FHRegulus

quote:

So we're gearing up for our Red Markets minicampaign and we put together our Enclave, the surrounding areas and two characters. The concept was put together by Kat as a "Latent Hospital/Society" so we built on top of what she had and I think it ended up really cool.

Latent Mercy General
Latent Mercy General is located in what was once the LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City. The surrounding buildings have been rolled in to LMG's territory to make for a considerably sized enclave. The vast majority of the population resides within the hospital proper.

2. Location
Salt Lake City.

3. Defenses
The strictest of quarantines helped LDS transition into LMG. Add to that the barricading of the surrounding area comprised of the many, many vehicles people drove their loved ones to the hospital in and LMG's autowall is more than enough to keep the majority of casualties at bay. The buildings that were brought into the fold of LMG are connected by bridges that allow its inhabitants to walk from building to building without ever having to head to ground level.

4. History
LMG has its roots with the Latter Day Saints. When the Crash came they were prepared. The hospital fell fairly quickly during the chaos with a handful of doctors and other staff barricading themselves in the upper floors to protect themselves from the vectors. One of these doctors believed he received a vision from Jesus instructing him to find a cure for the disease ravaging the world.

Little did he know that it was simply the fever dreams of a man going septic after a scratch from a vector. The greatest miracle came soon after the others realized he was infected. He didn't turn. The doctor was what would later be referred to as a latent. The others took this as a sign from God on High. They held on long enough for a group of travelers desperate for medicine to clear the hospital. It is from these two groups that the LMG was formed.

5. Top Exports
Medicine and medical training. LMG is known around the area as the place to secure new meds. They produce them in-house and medical supplies make up the vast majority of their income. Also of note is that they aren't above training outsiders in the medical arts for the right price.

6. Top Imports
Medicine isn't grown on trees. It takes raw materials to manufacture them and the LMG is happy to buy what they need from outsiders.

Additionally, due to their unfavorable location in the city they import a great deal more water than others with direct access to the springs or Salt Lake.

Finally, weapons of all manner are in short supply within LMG. Guns, crowbar, and crossbows are all highly sought after goods within the enclave.

7. Competition
Salt Wave Station is a rival enclave built around a local radio station that is still broadcasting. The people of SWS are almost all young and headstrong. They watched their friends die just like the rest of us but it lit a fire in them. They're more than willing to provide free entertainment to the city but distributing actual, important information through them comes at a high price. Additionally, they employ an incredibly dangerous group of Takers, The Risk Jockeys, who undertake incredibly dangerous jobs and then tell stories about them on air (with an Ubiq simulcast).

The Station is a strange group of survivors that have made a portable enclave. Built on the skeletons of train cars, the Station dominates the rails of Salt Lake City. Some cars have been converted into what can only be described as mobile weapons platforms while others are open air agricultural boxes. It is thanks to the completion of many proposed lines that the Station is able to circle Salt Like City without having to reverse and they've engineered a machine/system to 'quietly' move the trains with man-power (in order to save their fuel reserves for when they really need to boogie). The Station is known as a large trade hub that services any group in the city with enough bounty to barter and follows a schedule of where the will be. Nothing prevents the Station from arriving on time. They also employ the Taker group known as The Rail Walkers to those willing to pay.

The Repository survives in the re-purposed Salt Lake City Library and is an incredibly technophobic organization. They believe that Ubiq and those who use it (namely Takers) are criminals who must be punished. For a group run by former librarians they are incredibly cutthroat but their well-learned nature gives them an edge over others as they possess a great deal of information not on Ubiq that they withhold from others unless bribed. Many traps built around the city are the result of someone from the Repository trying out something they've learned recently (like a homemade claymore or ankle-catch).

8. Social Structure

LMG runs in complete contrary to almost every other enclave in the Loss. It is ruled by the Latent and being a Latent is considered an honor within its walls. The Convalescence are a group of willingly Latent doctors and researchers that shroud themselves in simple robes detailed with black lines while they pursue the ever mythical cure for the Blight. The society as a whole has adopted a bastardized evolution of the conservative ways of Mormon culture. All members of the Convalescence remain covered up while in public (making things like gender and race irrelevant) and are convinced that if there is a way to force the virus into latency then there must be a way to cure it. The final task for a doctor or researching seeking to join the Convalescence is to willingly infect themselves with the Blight and then inject themselves with Supressin K-7864 to become Latent themselves as "only those truly invested in finding the cure have any hope of doing so."

The Convalescence is opposed by the other major party within LMG. The Claim consists of uninfected members who act as the driving forces behind LMG in order to ensure its continued existence. Run by a former health insurance specialist, the Claim is an absolutely cutthroat organization dedicated to "the Bottom Line." They higher Takers, they arrange trade, they direct the vast majority of the Orderlies, and they make sure the Convalescence can continue to pursue a cure that most high ranking members of the Claim are sure is never coming. Just like insurance companies in real life, the Claim is a group dedicated to taking every piece of Bounty they legally can from the working man.

On hand to prevent the spread of infection and to put down Vectors are the Orderlies, the security forces of LMG. The Orderlies answer to both ruling factions and are split by those who are and aren't infected so it is rare that a Latent Orderly will ever interact with an uninfected Orderly. To become an orderly you must be "processed" by the Claim. Individuals undergoing processing are bunked up in the Evaluation Room (or ER) over the course of their trial period.

The vast majority of the population are Latents and are known as "Patience" (something they must show and a clever play on words). They live above the non-infected individuals of LMG. Many of the uninfected brought their loved ones here believing that LMG would be the best chance at a cure they could find. The uninfected live in the areas collectively referred to as "The Waiting Room."

Anyone who is unable to work in LMG is "Discharged" from the hospital and released into the world.

9. Neighborhoods
The Morgue: The area directly outside the barricade. Casualties are few and far between but it is a stark reminder of the dangers outside LMG.

The Waiting Room: Comprised of the uninfected that wait to hear if the cure has been found for their loved ones. Also individuals with no interest in the cure live within the sprawl of ground level buildings.

The Adjustment: Where the Claim exists. It's next on the upward stack of locations after the Waiting Room.

Pediatrics: Where the large orphan population lives. They are required to work the bridge farms and perform other tasks in order to prevent themselves from becoming discharged.

ER (Evaluation Room): Where Orderlies in training live. Many Takers also make use of the ER as their home.

The Walkways: The Walkways contain many rooftop gardens and the bridges that connect the various buildings to LMG proper.

The Quarantine Zone: Where the Patience and the majority of the Convalescence live. Higher quality of living for Latents than for the uninfected.

The Operating Room: This is where the Convalescence and Caduceus do their good work. Almost no one has ever been this high up. The rooftop of LMG is a large rooftop garden where the Convalescence can go to calm their nerves without interacting with the uninfected.

10. VIPs
Caduceus: The doctor who was the first Latent. Extremely reclusive and utterly devoted to finding the cure.

Chester Ploughman: The head of the Claim. A stubby fat man who has a nasty attitude.

Selene Winter: An uninfected engineer responsible for maintaining the security the carpool perimeter affords LMG.

The rest are TBD.

Finally the first two characters of the Taker group known as the "Hearse Practitioners" are:

Tristana ? (Kat): A Latent who just recently became a member of the Convalescence. Her official appointment was to the Takers as a liaison between the Convalescence and the Claim. Occasionally she is tasked with recovering certain things while on a run. A very eccentric young woman, Tristana is easily excited by the prospect of Aberrations being real. Though she has never seen one she is very sure she will be just as enthused if she manages to confirm the rumors. We'll see about that...

Seung Eom-Dae (Kyle): A 12 year old child who was "conscripted" by a "general." Served as a soldier for three years before his "general" was summarily killed in an operation gone bad. Several of the surviving children were badly wounded. Seung Eom-Dae came across LMG while looking for medicine for the others. Due to his lack of education and his only applicable skill being murder, he volunteered to perform the duties of a Taker in order to support the others until they grew. He's armed with an incredibly poorly made zip-gun rifle.

----

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1785.45.html

The Brutalists Enclave La Corbusier

by Caleb Stokes

quote:

Here's the write-up for the La Corbusier Enclave. I expanded on things. If I left anything out or any of the players want to redefine something, please let me know.

For those that want to listen to the actual plays without any knowledge of it beforehand, SPOILERS BELOW

1. Enclave Name

La Corbusier – named after the brutalist architectural mogul in a fit of self-referential irony

2. Location

Chicago suburbs. The high-price and elite status of the architectural school put it far away from the city’s sprawl, barely qualifying it as a suburb. The much bemoaned distance from the airport and other transportation hubs proved vital to the school’s survival during the Crash.

3. Defenses

La Corbusier survives the constant onslaught of casualties through an accident of aesthetics and timing. The experimental architecture of the campus actually made it quite defensible. Certain buildings featured sharp overhangs, sheer surfaces, elevated terraces, criss-crossing ramps, and winding stairways that could easily blocked off and bottlenecked. The campus was also engaged in a massive design competition at the time focused on repurposing shipping containers as family homes. The containers were moved to block off more open spaces, fortified, and used as additional housing.

4. History

La Corbusier survived the crash due to a variety of factors. The most vital contribution in the early days came from an exceptional campus security force, many of whom happened to be veterans of foreign wars. Working with the logistical planning of faculty unwilling to assume the media blackout meant all was well, they prepared a few buildings for defense. These strongholds housed the majority of campus survivors as the first waves of the Crash washed over the city.

But vectors move fast and go where the victims are. As things died down, the faculty contacted local contractors aiding in the shipping container project. In exchange for food and shelter provided for their surviving family and workforces, these construction firms made desperate pilgrimages to the campus under cover of night, dragging along all equipment and materials that could be salvaged from the industrial warehouses and fenced construction zones they had been hiding in. Quick fortifications sealed off nearly the entirety of campus of casualty attacks, and the few vectors left capable of climbing were repelled by heroic efforts from the campus police, inflicting heavy losses on the group.

As things settled down, those that did not flee to other Enclaves or try to make it to the Recession before the border closed came to La Corbusier. Much of the population is made of a random sampling of local and migratory populations, but the primary leadership groups of the academics and the construction workers still hold sway.

5. Top Exports

La Corbusier primarily trades for its education and expertise. The library remains largely unlooted. Rather, the academics use their expertise in third-world development, sustainability design, and logistical management to consult with other enclaves over Ubiq. This expertise comes at a fee, and crypto charged for consulting brings a large portion of the enclave’s total yearly bounty.
Similarly, the contractors that established the wider perimeter sell their construction expertise to struggling enclave projects around the world, sharing experiences in salvaging and building with improvised materials. Machine parts are a major export, utilizing manufacturing skill sets and the advanced 3d-printing and machine shops on campus. In some instances, if save caravans can be established, former construction workers have been known to go so far as to travel and work job sites at other Enclaves. These excursions have been made for construction projects at The Union, the Ivory Field Ministry, and Machine enclaves, though the latter was in the early days before the group became more militant. The on-site construction projects and custom part manufacture provides a major revenue stream

Finally, the remaining undergraduate and graduate population focused their studies almost entirely on sustainability architecture and technology due to the deteriorating environmental situation before the crash. The proprietary innovations of these young inventors have been released across Ubiq, but not before ransom crowd funding projects go up. After some initial success, the crowdfunding efforts of the youth have been contributing an increasing percentage of the enclave’s total income.

6. Top Imports

While some maintained lawns have been converted to gardens, La Corbusier lacks enough food to feed its people. Seeds, fertilizer, and preserved foodstuffs must be constantly traded for or ordered by airdrop, though water has been secured via a clever hack of the former sewer system.

Weapons are also in short supply and sell for a premium. The heroes of campus security supplemented the non-lethal arsenal provided by the college with personal collections of pure gun fetishists, but these weapons are aging, in disrepair, and increasingly difficult to feed. The crime world of “Chi-raq” and improvised melee weapons provide all other defense, but La Corbusier has a very small percentage of this supply. The bulk of the illegal weapons in the city were locked down by other enclaves or lost to the glut of undead that prevents all but the most suicidal salvage attempts.
Finally, the harsh Midwestern winters make fuel of any type a valuable commodity.

7. Competition

Though not a direct threat, the Lake Pirates operating out of Michigan complicate things for La Corbusier. Their raids have all but shut down lake shipments between the Chicago area and northern enclaves, and their tactics are so extreme that they preclude any black market trade with soldiers patrolling the Illinois River Wall. All trade suffers from the predation of these floating raiders.

A rural megachurch, the Ivory Plains Ministry, holds an entire gated community even further away from the city. A combination of evangelical dominionism and prosperity gospel theologies positioned Ivory Plains nicely during the Fall. Much of the infrastructure of the community remains intact, and the gated community seems almost unchanged in the center. Though not extreme enough to be labeled Believers like some post-Crash Christian sects, Ivory Plains is still heavily resented in the area. They’ve been known to exile families for political and judgmental reasons, feeding innocent families to the casualties for innocuous or nonexistent offenses. Furthermore, the group’s religious beliefs preclude them from certain work. This necessitates subcontracting with local takers. Though the megachurch provides valuable income, many crews forgo the money in exchange for avoiding the group’s holier than thou attitude. However, life inside the fence is about as idyllic as life in the Loss can get, and Ivory Fields’ extensive citizen backing means it is wealthy and a leading candidate for DHQS settlement.

The Machine is made up of the remains of Chicago’s political and police structure. In true Chicago tradition, the Homen Square controversy did nothing to teach those in power anything save to hide their corruption better. The Machine is made up of a variety of former CPD black sites for interrogation and the story of militarized police arsenals. The Machine ignores the fact that they are homo sacor like everyone else and still operates off the briefly declared martial law edict passed down over five years ago. They regard all enclavists as citizens bound by extinct US laws and act accordingly. As such, almost no one deals with The Machine. They have been known to arrest and execute those found out in the Loss for “crimes.” They kidnap people under the authority of imaginary evacuation orders and seize property with force citing “civil forfeiture.” The Machine would not be tolerated at all were it not for its intimidating military resources, but their monopoly on force belies a paucity of other assets. The black sites that make up the Machine are widely distributed, hard to get to, and difficult to coordinate. The leadership argues over who actually wields executive authority until they are resettled. The desperate thugs of The Machine survive solely off their equipment, sociopathy, and delusions of legitimacy.

The Union operates out of fortified shipping docks relocated just outside the city limits. Though difficult to travel to by land, the Union is an extremely safe harbor and a vital port trade with enclaves in Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, and the remains of Canada. In the early days of the Crash, they dealt with everyone and acquired a reputation for fairness. However, the recent Lake Pirates problem has affected The Union most of all, and the enclave is in economic decline. Members are fleeing for other enclaves or risking a lake run of the border. Though it still provides some trade, the Union is but a shadow of its former power and will remains so until the lake is again a safe trade route.

8. Social Structure

Class divides from before the Crash have perpetuated themselves into the current political landscape of La Corbusier. The administration of the enclave is run by a small parliamentary democracy of officials elected every year. There are no term limits or checks and balances build into the system. Yearly elections are dominated by too political parties: the Tenured and the Pillars.
The Tenured are made up of the college faculty responsible for saving the school. They are as predictably liberal as one would expect from private architectural college professors. Their stance on defense has grown lax in the latest years, and their opposition to any new rules limiting the freedom of residents is constant regardless of intent. Despite their concern for personal liberty within the enclave, the Tenured insist their forethought and expertise entitles them to their privileged place in the enclave, apparently without irony.

The Tenured are opposed by the Pillars of the Community, or the Pillars, as they have come to be called. The Pillars are made up of the owners of the wealthy contractors that helped establish the shipping container perimeter. They are far more conservative and security minded, but equally entitled to their privilege.

Not enough of the campus security responsible for the early battles against the vectors survived for from a major political bloc, but the gratitude felt towards these veterans makes them powerful political pawns exploited by both sides.

One of the few things the Tenured and Pillars can agree upon is the goal of settlement. Both groups are willing to do anything to attract DHQS settlement of La Corbusier. They imagine the government will rescue them all.

9. Neighborhoods

Day Laborers: The storage container apartment block where the majority of the late refugees live off the farms of repurposed lawns.

Adjunct Row: Low-level academics and those without necessary skills occupy this tent city ghetto. This is the bad part of town.

Admin: The former administration building houses the Tenured elite. Technically, the offices and apartments are to be occupied by whomever among the party is elected to lead, but that never seems to change from year to year.

Patchwork Palace: A McMansion constructed on the former soccer field, assembled from salvaged materials brought in by the Pillars. The building houses many members of the party, but its extravagance is still absurd.

Hanging Gardens: The roofs of every university building have been converted to water collectors and rooftop gardens. Many have rope bridges connected them so that the Detoxins gardeners can move from roof to roof.

10. VIPs
Dean Chevalier: Head of the Tenured bloc

Harold Carmichael: Leader of the Pillars bloc

Professor Clara Bradley-Matterknick: Swing vote and renegade academic, resentful of the Tenured but without sacrificing her influence over them

Former Undersecretary of Housing Dylan Martinele: a visiting bureaucrat caught in the Crash, living among the Pillars on promises of influence when resettlement comes

Synthenia: Low-level pot dealer turned drug kingpin feeding the addicts of La Corbusier

Dr. Epicuras: would-be messiah leading the Detoxins believers infiltrating the caretakers of the Hanging Gardens.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
By the by, the rules we are supposed to get after the KS wraps up is supposed to be a playable version of the game (subject to changes of course), right? I was really hoping to run a few games.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, was hoping someone would run a pbp or skype game from here.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I believe they are. The rules I saw in a previous open beta were runnable, so no reason the "keep you tided over until the book is done" rule-set shouldn't be ready to roll to.

I'm still irritated about what happened to the game I tried to run for that beta. Out of four people, one showed up, one said he wouldn't come because he wanted to sleep and the other two fell off the face of the earth for a month. They won't say a word about where they were.
I think that irritation leaked into my feedback on the rules. Sorry Caleb

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What is the difference between a Job and a Score? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Score was what they did in the first episode of the Ross campaign and that one didn't have a negotiation phase.

• Locked thread