Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Bilirubin posted:

So my Swedish cousin has sent me to her MyHeritage site (seems to have decent functionality), which takes my great grandmother's family back 7 generations. Its very cool to see, but what a zoo once the patronym becomes a thing. Reminds me of a fellow I work with who is Icelandic, and still uses the patronym. He's named for his grandfather, similar to his own father (think John Carlsson and Carl Johnsson), and they get each other's email all the time (both working in the same university) by mistake. It boggles the mind anyone was ever able to keep track of it all :psyduck:

I think the system worked mainly because of village priests who simply knew everyone in their parish. The Swedish population was pretty tiny - think like 2-3 million people for most of the 1600's and 1700's, and that includes what is now Finland. I do hobbyist archive research in the Swedish national military archives for milhist sperging reasons, but most of the visitors are amateur genealogists, mainly because of the obssessive Swedish military roll-keeping that goes back to the early 1600's and in some cases even earlier. It's not too uncommon to be able to trace family lines back to the 1600's, but getting further than that is very rare unless you're nobility because the official records for almost everyone only start appearing with the early modern state around 1600.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU