Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have some documentation going back approximately 3 or 4 generations to when my family ancestors migrated over from Germany, although the research was done by my grandmother who died over a decade ago. Simply put, I would like to verify some of the information as none of the records look very official, but I am not sure where to begin searching. Goolge is more than happy to direct me to ancestry.com and other poo poo that wants a credit card number, I am assuming the information should be available free somewhere? Are things like birth certificates and other government records freely available?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Well hell, I got onto familysearch.org. . . and someone has hosed up the records. Long story short, some random stranger on the internet apparently entered the full name and deathbed of my great grandfather for my grandfather, and also messed up the name. . . My grandpa's name is <A> <B> <C>, my great grandpas' name is <B> <A> <C> (hell, am I allowed to just put my ancestors full name in the genealogy thread or would that be like self doxing?) so it's easy to get the two confused but still kind of annoying to know the site's information can be updated by anyone. That said, I was able to find Kansas gravestones.org with nice pictures of the gravestones for at least a few generations of my family to hopefully be able to correct some of the misinformation. . . I also dug out all of my previous documentation - about a dozen pages which were faxed in 1997, from copies of handwritten records.

So, I've half rear end verified the origins of my family up to 5 generations ago when my ancestors migrated over from Germany, I am assuming the search will only get more difficult internationally. Also, I have found either a typo or my last name was modified from "John" to "Johns".

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, I have generally found that descent from nobility tends to be sketchy at best.

One branch I've been eyeballing (but haven't confidently connected to yet; it's still pending one or two anecdotal-quality links in New England) is the Josselyn family, which has some dubious quality before the 1200s. Ironically, it also features no royal links in that whole line despite its reported age.

The other branch is stuck at the turn of the 18th century in Bohemia with two as-yet-unverified individuals and another troublesome guy who is in the right place but possibly at the wrong time who prevent me from linking up to another hand-me-down nobility family tree.

So yeah, those nobility links are nothing but trouble in my experience!

Those turn of the century newspapers are great, if still under-digitized. I found one claim recently about a distant cousin who was shot by some guy in Atlanta during a fight the other guy started by calling him a slur (the newspaper leaves the word unsaid, but since the cousin was Jewish, you can probably guess what it was). The story went on for several days as the shooter hid from the police until the cousin was out of the hospital.

It's also kinda fun to see your grandfather's name mentioned as participating in some patriotic parade when he was 5 years old.

Ugh, yeah, that's obnoxiously common, but one learns to live with it, I suppose.

As for "self-doxxing", consider me rude, but given how sensitive personal information is these days, I no longer feel comfortable listing the grandparents of anyone living, just because how easy it is to find people from that, even though the old-school practice is "anyone dead is fair game"

Depends. Jumping the Atlantic is pretty difficult, but it's not always impossible. It usually comes down to a combination of researching as much about the immigrant and their family as possible and a little bit of luck. Some of my luck has involved my ancestors alternately:

• being well-enough known to earn a German Wikipedia page
  • literally handing-down the information of their ancestors in Europe since they immigrated in the 20th century
  • coming across a mention in a printed biographical sketch of a son of the immigrant which noted the immigrant's birthplace (though for that one, I was also crazy lucky to have a US census record which didn't merely note the country, Prussia, but actually the city: "Lisser" -> Leszno)

The best shot you have at finding something if all you have in your immigration/naturalization/census records is "Germany" everywhere is by doing a cursory search for the marriage or birth record in the German register indices on FamilySearch. Again, this often comes down to luck, but I've found at least two of my ancestors' German records this way, so it's not a completely impossible task. Just be aware that it's not uncommon to find middle names and other baptismal names you didn't expect, so you'll still want to do as much limiting on other criteria as possible (age or parent's names, for example).

I won't lie that it's easy to make that jump, and it can often take time to gather enough American information to make an educated guess, but it's not impossible. Just keep researching, and you may well be able to make that leap given enough time.

I do have the full name and city of birth for my great great whatever 5 generations ago relative from Germany, and a good 10yr estimate of when he was born. I do safe listing my last name, he'll a lot of people on here already know my first and last name + address due to buying and selling shut here, and it's a sorta common last name. According to my papers, "the last name was spelled Johannes in Germany, pronounced Yo'han or Yo' han nus".

So, I think my last name was sort of bastardized during the immigration process. . . Makes me wonder are people with the last name "Johnson" descendants of someone who said "I am yo'han's son" as they walked through Ellis island and got their papers stamped "Johnson"? My cousin, an Ellis, claims his last name was just a generic stamp put on from Ellis island when they had no idea what else to put, although searching google brings up more elaborate tales of grandure and royalty associated with the Ellis surname. . . Really what I am most interested in the history of last names in general, things like supposedly the last name Miller is a descendant of someone who milled grain.