Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Bilirubin posted:

I am already finding errors in the information I have received from others, especially in that "received knowledge" from our cherished olds' memory. Hell, my own memory is not what it used to be and I am still in my 40s! And also sometimes the conflicting data points at uncomfortable truths like second cousin marriage--accepted back then I guess but still :ohdear: .

Giggity ... same here though. Grandfather's first marriage was to a second cousin. My grandmother, not a cousin, said once a story about their child dying as an infant during a massive storm that they couldn't leave in and that was about it. Supposedly he was married seven times before settling on my Grandmother and I'll I've been able to glean is that he may have married some twice (WTF Gramps!). These are the interesting things you find researching family.

I don't have much advice because I only did some for a summer and used it to hook my mom into...

Interesting finds:
-Great Grandmother is a Drake can't prove she was related to Sir Francis Drake.
-Same Great Grandmother I also can't prove but family story is she was related to Colonel Custer.
-I'm distant British royalty... through a bastard daughter of John Lackland.
-Was always told we were British. Unless there was some weird travel we turned out to be Irish and I can't find anything past being in Belfast.
-Hey Hey Plymouth descendants! Relative came on the Fortune.
-Only slave holder was the first of my last name in the US. Freed a husband/wife couple at his death. Found his will in a history book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU