Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've got a question for the thread. What is the best way to find out information about someone from the early 1900's?

My mom has done a lot of the leg work on trace her family tree, going back to the 1500's? But she really can't find any info about her father, my grandfather. We know he was born out of wedlock to a former maid in Scotland who traveled to the states. But then things get cloudy. He worked as a livery cab driver in New York during the 1920 and 30's then packed it up, changed his name, and moved to California where he got involved with horse racing. When he was dying he was telling my mom stories about his life but refused to write any of them down saying "I know where too many bodies are buried."

I've been able to find a couple of references to him as a feather-weight boxer in New York, but nothing else. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU