Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

When your GGGG Grandpa fails to get an audience with Bismarck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I’m not sure, it’s from one of my dads emails to me yesterday. Friedrich was my dad’s dad’s mom’s mom’s mom’s father.

Findagrave has a slightly different obit so I guess different newspapers covered his death?
Massive tree stump headstone too.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/117747189/friedrich-weyer

quote:

He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence and was well and favorable known in this city where he has many friends.
How far the apple has fallen… 😩

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Oracle posted:

Oh come on now, you can't just post about it and not show us the picture of the record :D

In unrelated news, it seems I can apply for German citizenship through my great-grandparents (they were both still German citizens when they married in America and my great-grandfather didn't naturalize until well after all his kids were born). Woo German passport here I come.

My German line came over too long ago for me to qualify :/
Born after 1949 but before 1975 would be my dad, but even his great grandfather was born in America, much less his dad and grandpa.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Oracle posted:

German records you at least have the father's name and sponsors in baptismal records back to the late 16-early 1700s (places hit hard by WWII/awarded to Poland possibly excepted)

Yeah we can’t go further than the GGG-grandpa who immigrated through Canada around 1850 and then got citizenship in Indiana a couple years after that. From Pomerania. Thanks Red Army.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wow. Consider my dad emailed! That range really goes right up against when GGG-grandpa came over (Gottlieb>Heinrich>Godfrey>Reuel>Dad>me). I wonder if he already knew about this website or something similar cuz I remember he told me some document listed Gottlieb’s father-in-law’s name being Bogislav, and Gottlieb left for Canada in 1851.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah Michigan (especially the southwestern portion) is chock full of Dutch descendants and Calvinists.