Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I recently had the chance to walk the area in Sydney that my ancestors lived in during the 1860s. Yep, that's a lovely brutalist police station sitting on top of most of the places they lived. Ah well, it was nice to wander the area anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fat Albert posted:

Hello friends.

I am in Australia and keep getting the urge to 'get into' genealogy.

My problem: I have absolutely no idea where to start, and am too afraid to begin in case I 'start wrong'.

Do you guys have any advice for a complete beginner on things like:

How to store/collate information? Should I use a paid service for this, is there good free software, should I just start an elaborate word document?

Where and how to find information? Outside of services that seem to connect you to sources, like Ancestry, I have absolutely no idea where to begin!

Any advice greatly appreciated, i'm really keen to move past this early decision paralysis phase.

Get as much info as you can from your family and draw up a basic family tree. When you get to the point where the info gets iffy, choose the points where you want to push back the boundaries and order some birth/marriage/death certificates. (So say your family knows vaguely where your grandfather was born. Try and find his birth certificate, or failing that, his marriage certificate or death certificate will have his place of birth as best the people involved knew it.) From there, you can use the parental information on the certificate to try and find records from further back, although the records get worse as you go back.

I have a standard word document for each couple I research that contains lists Birth, Parents, Siblings, Children, Immigration, Employment, Residences, Death, and Miscellaneous. It all seems to fit into a double column A4 without too much trouble. I footnote where each item came from so it's possible to find the source long after you've forgotten everything. Then I have another word doc that has all the obituaries and other images I find. Again, caption how you found it and as much other info as you can. Then any other fun stuff like stories or good pictures in their own files.

I posted about my experiences with Australasia specific stuff here.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Vital statistics?